Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone

Showing 1-10 of 339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 441 reviews
on November 11, 2011
This is a very reasonably priced backpack. I got it to replace another SwissGear laptop pack that was 5-years old.

Pros:
- Padded laptop pocket, which is in separate compartment. This compartment has mesh pockets to store other electronic gear.
- Main compartment has an audio-player pocket near the top, and the pack's upper wall has a hole for threading through your headphone cable. There's a flap covering the hole, but it looks like rain could get in if it rains very hard - never had this happen though.
- Durable outside side pockets (for things like water bottles). These seem a lot more durable that my previous pack, where the pocket mesh gradually detached from the elastic.
- I like how there isn't a firm sheet of plastic inside the back wall. My previous SwissGear had this, and the (sharp) edge of the sheet eventually started cutting through the bottom of the wall.

Cons:
- This one is major - the so-called air-flow design does absolutely nothing. When my back is sweaty, I feel the whole back of the backpack pressing against me. No air flowing permitted. My previous SwissGear was far better, because it had two semi-firm foam protrusions running along the height of the pack; these protrusions lined up with my shoulder-blades, and would keep the middle vertical line of my back clear for the air to flow. Don't advertise airflow if it doesn't work!
- compartments are sometimes hard to zip because the pack's material is somewhat limp.

Other thoughts:
You probably shouldn't lift the pack by its top handle unless the two zippers on either side of the handle are closed. This seems to put strain on the strip of material the handle is on. If the zippers are closed, the rest of the pack can support the weight.

EDIT:
I bought this in June 2011 for less than 35 USD, but now in November, the price is almost twice as high.
22 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
I'm in college and I needed a backpack that could carry my laptop, my notebook, my pencil case, a textbook, a water bottle and other things that girls like to carry (like a lot of things), that look nice, resistant and comfortable. This backpack isn't big compare to others Swissgear backpack, but it's roomy. The straps could be a little bit more comfortable, but in general it's a great bag, I recommend.
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2016
Better late then never! Okay so I bought this in 2012 and I am still using it! Some would say it is kind of late to do a review but I say I am now one of the most qualified people to do this review. I purchased this bag because I needed something for traveling capable of carrying my laptop and digital slr camera gear and after careful research I decided on this backpack. Let me say that I travel fairly extensively and this bag has been around the world and is still with me! I often travel with my 2 children which means I have in this bag my laptop. dslr camera, 2 lenses, 2 tablets a few external hard drives, portable power bank along with many other small items like passports, documents, pens, a pocket full of coins, medicine, toiletries etc this bag Is usually weighing me down with upwards of 70lbs of gear inside almost equivelant to my old ruck sack from my Army days and this backpack has never torn or so much as had a zipper slip. starting from the front it has a D-ring which comes in handy for hanging things from your bag like keys or I also like to hang one of those travel neck pillows from it, then it has a small pocket suitable for a cellphone, pocket change,spare credit cards or anything about the size of an average mans hand, behind this compartment is the first of 3 full size compartments where you will find several elastic strap pockets for pens and such, a zipper pouch where I keep in the neighborhood of 5$ in change and a handful of euros and a few other small open compartments which are suitable for many uses, behind this is the second of 3 zippered compartments of clear and open space this is where I usually store my dslr camera body and lenses, behind this one is the 3rd of 3 zippered compartments which has a laptop sleeze a cellphone holder and a path to run your headphone out and along the straps up to your ears without getting tangled and this compartment still has room for much more, in my case usually 2 tablets 2 pairs of Beats by Dre some snacks a powerbank a few maps and some travel documents. Lastly on the strap is an elastic band to secure your sunglasses and one net pocket on each side of the bag which easily accommodates a 1 liter water bottle per side or anything of similar size or smaller. After 4 years of owning this bag it has yet to fail me, I have machine washed it several times and it still looks and functions as new as the day I received it!
VINE VOICEon January 14, 2013
So, just what exactly can you load this sharp looking, black with red trim SwissGear backpack up with? Let's break it down compartment by compartment....

First, the outside of the backpack has a small slot that could fit a cell phone, an iPod or perhaps some business cards; I think that the idea for this compartment is that it be used while the backpack is sitting next to you on the train, plane or bus. If you put anything in here of value while you're carrying the backpack, you're a pickpocketer's dream come true. The outside of the backpack also has a mesh slot for water bottles on both of the lower sides. There's a little slot on the backpack strap that is intended for you to slip an arm of your sunglasses through, but that seems like it's inviting a broken (or stolen) pair of glasses.

Small compartment with zipper, outside front - Just big enough for your glasses or sunglasses with case; I use it for stowing Purell, Chapstick & gum.

Medium sized compartment with zipper (moving from front to back) - Includes: 1) a space large enough for a hardcover book; 2) an open flap that could fit a short stack of 4" x 6" napkins (or whatever); 3) a small slot that could fit an iPod or cell phone; 4) a business card holder; 5) three pen/pencil holders; 6) a small netted business card flap (where I stow some earbuds).

Large compartment with zipper - large enough to vertically hold several 8" x 11" folders/documents/items. Includes another cell phone / iPod holder that hangs near the top of the pocket with a small throughway slot to the outside of the backpack that you can thread your headphones through in order to wear the backpack and connect to your media device that is securely within the pack.

Laptop compartment with zipper - this large compartment has a separator dividing the compartment into two halves. One half of the compartment should fit any 15" laptop; the other half is large enough to fit a second laptop...not that many people will do that, but I'm just trying to give a visual on the size of this compartment. The compartment also has two mesh relatively large slots designed to hold miscellaneous computer gear like an AC adapter, Ethernet cables and the like. When you're not transporting your laptop, this compartment alone would probably hold most of your stuff.

Other than the above, two adjustable shoulder straps are comfortable and they make for an entirely comfortable fitting backpack whether using both straps over the shoulder or one. There is also a pretty sturdy fabric handle at the top of the backpack, but if you're packed with a laptop and other weighty stuff, I'd suggest using both straps over the shoulders.

So load the SwissGear up with things and knickknacks too. Anything that you might need should fit inside for you. Backpack backpack.
on March 1, 2017
I've had a Swiss Gear bag for over 10yrs and decided it was time for an upgrade. The material and quality on this bag is night and day from the bag I have. The outside of this bag almost feels very cheap almost plastic like and the inside of it feels like paper. It certainly wouldn't make it 10yrs like my old Swiss Gear.
on March 26, 2017
I am giving 4 star only because of the usability. I've used other Swiss gear bags they are really good compared to this. Also it holds less lagguage.
on November 1, 2012
Initially, I really liked this bag. Nice and roomy, yet still fits under the airline seat. However, after using this bag on a regular occasion for the last year, I have noticed a tendency of the zippers to work their way open a couple of inches, or more. This could allow items to fall out of the bag. And it seems the full the bag, the more the zippers have a tendency to open. So the bag is good, but be careful with the zippers.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This backpack, in one word, is AWESOME! It's durable, stylish, and holds everything I need and as a college student, that's important. It holds most 15" laptops, comes with 2 large compartments (one holds the laptop with 2 mesh slots for laptop accessories and has space for a textbook or something and the other is an open space to fill with binders and things of the sort and has a little mp3 player holder). Also, the durable straps don't cut into your neck and shoulders and the 2 outer water bottle holders are a great accessory. The backpack also isn't a turtle-shell/suitcase-on-your-back meaning that it isn't big or overwhelming, it's the perfect size! Plus, the front compartment for gadgets, keys, phones, and supplies are sufficient and roomy. The other front mini-compartment is great if I need extra space for a mouse or even a snugly space for a snack. I must say it is absolutely a great buy for anyone!
on October 4, 2011
Highs:
* Material quality. Tough enough but still flexible. The back breathes well in hot weather. Minimal swampiness.
* Appearance. Sharp looking.
* Design & storage. Plenty o' space and pockets.
* Sunglasses tab on left shoulder strap.
* Computer pouch padding. I happen to use it for an iPad2, but there's plenty of space and padding to protect a lappy, too.

Not so much:
* Side mesh pockets love to grab anything Velcro. Grr.

Lows:
* Virtually no form whatsoever. Lack of internal support means this thing is a limp sack when there's not much inside. Will NOT stand up. Period.
on May 21, 2012
Ok, so i personally wanted to write a review of this backpack. I'm a Mobile Dj, I DJ Gigs all over my city/state, plus i'm in school. So its essential that i'm able to SAFELY & COMFORTABLY transport all my things around from location to location. When I recieved this backpack, it arrived in a good time frame & manner. Upon checking it out, I was very surprised at how much room this thing had. First off in size, its a nice size backpack, comfortable to wear, & for long periods of times also., doesn't tear into your skin or hurt you at all.

Just to give you an example of how much room this thing has, let me give you a brief overview of what all i carry around w/ me on a DAILY:

*13 inch MacBook Pro w/ a copy of my fav magazines of choice (usually 2 mags for flights, waiting time)

*usb light to plug into my midi controller

*A/C Wall charger for Macbook.

* Cables, Wires, & Wireless accessories for Macbook (mouse, usb plugs, harddrive, etc.)

*An Extra Shirt (incase I spill anything on my shirt)

*Cologne

* 5 or 6 copies of my Book i've written that I sell (Google: Plan A: A Guide to a Better Me on here to order & check it out!... shameless plug, I know lol)

* Copies of my latest mixtapes to sell

* 1 Big Binder w/ ink pens, highlighters, 2 5 subject notebooks all for school

* External Soundcard Interface for my Midi Controller Setup w/ Wires

* Ipod w/ Headphones (in-ear buds & heavy duty dj headphones)

.....Get the Point?... there's also more i keep in there, but not going to be TOO lengthy, but point proven... its a great backpack & has TONS of room in it for whatever you may need!