Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,789 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,029 reviews
on April 29, 2016
I love this silly movie. Oh, it's fluff and formula, the romance is sappy and predictable, the save at the end was anticipated in that this movie simply couldn't end any other way. Despite that, I still love it. Why? Well the costumes, the choreography, the music and most of all, two powerful voices, Chistina's and Cher's. The movie is worth watching just to hear Christina Aquilar sing Tough Love. So, yeah, I give it 5 out 5.

Not every movie has to be powerful or meaningful. A movie and and sometimes should be just a great romp in the park. This one is.
VINE VOICEon April 27, 2017
I saw this film on Logo and HAD to get it on DVD. Luckily I found it here on Amazon at such a great price. I buy almost all my books and DVDs from Amazon, as well as household items. I live in Hawaii, where the stores are smaller and unable to carry as much merchandise as on the mainland. I've been an Amazon member since 1997 and it's my go-to place for discounted prices on almost everything. OK, end of my plug for Amazon.
Burlesque features two great Divas: Cher and Cristina Aguilera. I love the story of a small-town (but street savvy) girl that finds a home and makes good at Burlesque, an old-fashioned House of Burlesque. The dance numbers are fantastic. Cristina is an absolutely fantastic singer; when she first came on the scene, she was the only girl singer of all the pop princesses that came out at the same time: Britney, Mandy, Jessica. Cristina can actually sing and has an extremely powerful voice for such a small, petite woman. Cher is always fabulous and is wonderful as the mentor and boss to Cristina's character. She is the Grande Dame Diva of them all and I absolutely love any film that she's in.
on January 31, 2017
So many great parts in this movie: story line, talent, singing, actors, sas, friendship, humor [quick and witty]; one pinnacle moment after the next, songs; costumes; setting. A couple of the script lines are head-scratching, but forgiveable. I love love this movie. Love Cher. Love Christina. Love Stanley, Love Kristen, Love Cam and Eric too. Execellent cast. I wish they would do a remake where Ali takes over ownership, but has some sort of issue. Stanley would have to be there. Heck! They would all have to be in it. I'm gushing. I'll stop. Many Thx, Diane
on March 24, 2011
I already knew that I would find something to love in this movie, if only because it featured the iconic Cher, who I have adored since her Sonny & Cher Show days when I was in high school.
Not being a particular Christina fan, however, I was also prepared to find things not to love, especially in light of the less than favorable reviews that the movie received.
As I watched, the three main thoughts that kept running through my mind were:

1) OMG--Cher is still absolutely amazing!!
2) Wow--Christina is actually really good in this--natural acting, great voice, totally acquitting herself well in her first film effort
3) I can't believe that the critics bashed this movie the way they did--they're all too elitist for their own damn good!

Yes, this is an old-fashioned, seen-it-a-hundred-times plot line about a country girl trying to make good in the big city. And yes, it pretty much hits on all the old cliches: . . .
*the wide-eyed innocent who succeeds against all odds by virtue of her explosive raw talent
*the tough but tender Tess who gives her a chance despite her initial reservations
*the witty, fabulously supportive gay BFF who's hopelessly devoted to Diva Tess
*the scheming,jealous leading lady soon to be ousted by the 'new kid'
*the cute, charming, almost too-good-to-be-true boyfriend with the requisite bitchy ex-girlfriend and a way with those packaged cookies!
*the sexy but devious villain who the girls manage to outsmart in the end

. . . and yes it's all pure sentimental, predictable corniness.
But all these so-called "faults" were the very things I loved about it. It was an old-school over-the-top musical extravaganza with comfortable time-tested themes, uncomplicated emotions,lavish musical numbers, and lots of hot girls in sumptuous costumes showing us how they Burlesque! And--sorry, movie critics--but what the heck is wrong with that??
It certainly wasn't sophisticated entertainment, but you feel good all the way through it, and finish it in an upbeat, happy frame of mind, the only cloud darkening your horizon being the thought that no matter what happens, you will never, ever, look as good as Cher!
on November 15, 2014
While I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Christina Aguilera, I am (like most of the population) in awe of her powerful voice. While I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Cher's voice, I love her outspokenly feisty personality. And as a side note, I pretty much adore everything about Stanley Tucci. So I went into this movie expecting something ... interesting, if not necessarily good.

What an awesome surprise to find that Burlesque is a solidly entertaining movie from start to finish. It's like a decadent dessert for the eyes and ears. The sets are lavish, the costumes are gorgeous, the actors (male and female) are beautiful, the choreography is stunning, and the musical numbers are spectacular. There's wry humor sprinkled throughout, it's possible to feel empathy for most of the characters, and all the sparkly song-and-dance is held together by at least the semblance of a plot. On the downside, prepare yourself for some cartoonish characterizations and clunky dialog ... but then again, this is a pretty fantastical production (think "Moulin Rouge") so it would be unrealistic to expect hard-hitting drama and character nuance. All in all, this movie entertained my socks off. It's like going to a Cirque de Soleil show -- fun, dreamy, color-saturated, full of rhythm and melody, totally immersive. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.
on February 15, 2017
I love Cher in everything she does - she is the best. But this movie introduced me to Christina Aguilar and oh what a voice this woman has. Christina complements Cher's style perfectly in this movie. The first time I saw this movie (I've seen it many times) and Christina belted that first note, I was floored. I never knew this tiny woman could belt such beautiful sounds. But Cher will always be my first love. As for the movie itself, I like the story and the scenes are fun to watch. The acting has it's moments but I really like the way this movie makes me feel - happy for the working woman.
on June 7, 2016
When Cher was asked to participate in her first film in almost a decade, I imagine the director was nervous because he thought that this role just wasn't up to par on what the Oscar winner could perform. Fortunately for him, Cher is an Oscar winner and can do anything she puts her mind to. This film is camp. It's flirtatious. Burlesque has it's moments of power and beauty and then there are times when Christina Aguilera comes on screen and you think, "Lady Gaga would have done so much better". I put this movie on about twice a month after a night of heavy drinking and I imagine being in the audience of this run down club and watching my idol perform her heart out.
on December 12, 2011
I've heard some harsh reviews on this movie when it first came out, but I was still skeptical on how bad the movie was. Of course, my first instinct won over...It was AMAZING! To shortly summarize without giving anything away... Romantic comedy. There are no complex story plots that need to be followed, just good old-fashioned soul-pounding singing, sexy dancing, and comedic retorts. This type of movie genre is aimed towards an audience who aren't looking for complex plots, betrayals, or soul-crushing despair; In fact, it begets the exact opposite. For those who want good old-fashion singing and dancing from the amazing actors and actresses of this film such as Christina Aguilera and Cher, then go for it.

Christina Aguilera fans, you will not be disappointed. Being a Christina Aquilera fan at the age of 9, I always loved her voice. Her voice is what separated the amateurs from the angelic, heart-wrenching artists such as that of Christina Aguilera. Her singing in this movie will move you, and will have you cheering from the sidelines for her character to achieve her dreams. The main point of this movie was to push their main characters and singers, Christina and Cher, to the front stage and lead the story along the way. This movie wasn't made to incorporate the singing into the story plot; more like the movie and story came together DUE to the singing and dancing.

The movie title "Burlesque" is actually based on the Victorian Burlesque, in which comedic, dramatic, literary, and musical work come together to be performed in theatres to entertain the masses. This movie "Burlesque" is based off of the American version of the Victorian burlesque, and originally there was no "stripping" of any kind performed onstage. However, as the early 1900's came in, a "strip-tease" of sorts was gradually incorporated in the acts, which then the Burlesque shows became known for. In the beginning, the performers would wear more revealing costumes for their musical numbers, making witty sexual innuendos as well, and then strip. However, this was DIFFERENT from the strip clubs, because the audience were paying to listen and watch the performers sing and dance; the strip tease was an added bonus. Also, burlesque shows were available for parties of both sexes to view the show, not just the men. A dramatic difference from the strip clubs and bordellos back in the day.

What's great about this movie is that the directors incorporate the actual history of the American Burlesque into the movie. They incorporated that history in the movie by (without spoiling anything):
1)Showing pictures of the historical American burlesque performers in actual magazines
2)Some of the characters emphasizing how the burlesque show was NOT a strip joint
3)Kept to the singing and exotic dancing in a clean PG-13 viewing (not much naked parts to worry over)
4)Showed performers that didn't sing, but performed other acts and jokes

So, the run down:

Pros: Christina Aquilera and Cher singing, authentic and correct historical facts of the American burlesque established in the film, comedic jokes, amazing dancers and singers, a small love triangle, and something to wipe away the worries of reality.
Cons: Predictable storyline,...that's about it.

For those who enjoy the American historical fashions, songs, buildings, and facts during the early 20th century, this movie is for you.
Again, for those who just want to watch something musically influenced and fun, and fans of Christina Aguilera and Cher, then by all means, watch away!
on May 14, 2011
It's truly hard to take a story line that has been done thousands of times from all all angles, but this movie did it. The fact is that not since Chicago, a broadway smash success prior to its movie run, have I been so entertained by a movie musical! Both Cher and Christina Aguilera were simply amazing. The story itself is a replay, and without the outstanding singing, would have been an average film, but this, film wasn't just about being a film. it is a musical in the traditional sense of the word, and the best musical that I have seen since, 2003, when I saw Chicago. Eric Dane and Stanley Tucci, were good, but unfortunately, played roles so similar their previous work in "The Devil Wears Prada", that I feel that both were type cast, based on their outstanding performances in that Movie. I am so used to seeing Cam Gigandet playing the bad guy, I wasn't sure that he was going to be able to pull off the "Good Guy", but he did and he did it extremely well. Both Cher and Christina were amazing, just superb. Why this movie was written off as mediocre, in my opinion, was based on trying to fit this movie into a dramatic category, rather than basing it on its merit as a musical. Don't pass this up. Watch it, or better yet just close your eyes and listen the the singing and enjoy!
on June 30, 2015
This is a really fun movie. I HATE musicals but this doesn't play at all like a normal musical--it just happens to have performances in it because it is set in a club. No silly conversations breaking out in song and all of that nonsense. The singing is AMAZING--I never knew what kind of voice Christina Aguilera truly had before I saw this film. And, well, Cher is Cher :) The story is cute and keeps you engaged well enough, but it is the songs (along with the great stage show) that make this worth watching over n over n over. Sometimes one of the songs will just start playing in my head and I will wind up watching the whole movie over again just to enjoy the music and spectacle. Enjoy!