Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof

Showing 1-10 of 1,121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,220 reviews
on January 30, 2012
This is my 3rd Raindrop Fountain - not because they haven't worked, but because I couldn't settle on the style I/my kittens liked best. I started with the black ceramic, but it made finding bits of kibble difficult so I gave it away when the stainless steel version arrived. That version was light weight, but the hard water in Dallas left white deposits that I couldn't get to come off - for me, it needed to look shiny and new - for my little boy kitten, it needed to withstand his putting his metal springs in it... the top portion turned out to be too light and I woke up one morning to a water incident that left the fountain almost out of water, the top part akimbo, and a nice lagoon under the fountain and food bowl. Thankfully I had just switched the may to one that absorbed, so the drama was minimized. I decided I needed to go back to the weight of the ceramic... and stumbled across the white version. SUCCESS! It stays clean looking - I can quickly spot swimming kibble - and spring play does not result in a floor soaking. It is considerably heavier than the stainless version - but if you need a sturdy fountain this could be the one for you!
1212 comments| 304 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I'll keep the review part of this short to make room for the modification... Basically this works great. My cats both drank out of it right away although the older one was a little timid for a few days. Now they both drink quite a bit more water which was the goal. We always feed dry food, canned only comes out once a month or less unless they're sick and need coaxing to eat. With a dry diet they need to have access to lots of water and be encouraged to drink, this product does that.
---
The Cons: Some water noise and a very small amount of splash over the edge. Enough that I'd put it on a plastic tray if I didn't do the below modification.
---
The Mod: This mod will cost about $3 and fix both the noise and the splashing. Order this fountain and then go out and buy some Sabra hummus, eat and enjoy, retain lid. (google image search Sabra Hummus) Once you're done take some scissors and cut the lid along the "wave" in the label, discarding the part of the lid with the label. Now trim off about 2/3 of the red rim on the remaining section of lid leaving a tab or hook in the middle. Slip this between the "waterfall" part and the bowl and you're done! For me this solved both the noise and the splash with about two minutes work. (PS, try the Buffalo Wing hummus!)

Four stars because they could have included a part like this in the design and I don't think it should need modification in order to not splash water. Maybe they should include a coupon for hummus?
1616 comments| 299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2015
I bought the ceramic version of Pioneer Raindrop Drink Fountain 1.5 years ago. I liked it but it developed a leak that we couldn’t find and I would expect a product of this type to last longer than that. I did like it well enough to buy the stainless steel version. The stainless steel version is designed differently which I don’t know if it is because it is newer or just the difference between the two fountains.

Pros of both ceramic and stainless versions:
• Quiet

Pros of ceramic:
• Very classy looking

Pros of stainless over ceramic:
• Hole where power cord through is separated from water unlike the ceramic version. I believe that may be the point of our leak. (See photos)
• Channel into fountain from top is cut deeper in stainless. On the ceramic version, the top had to be positioned exactly right in order for it not to overflow the side which was a pain. (See photos)
• Stainless is much lighter to lift and easier to carry when full of water for taking to the sink to clean.
review image review image review image
on May 6, 2013
I have an 18-year old "granny" cat who has a bit of ADHD and is very persnickety. So, getting her to drink healthy amounts of water is a challenge. When she was younger and more spry, she would jump on the bathroom counter and drink from a faucet that I left trickling. That kept her well-hydrated, but increased our water bills.

When she stopped jumping up, I would lift her up for awhile, but that was too hit-and-miss.

After a broad search, I found the "Raindrop Drinking Fountain." Spendy, but made of ceramic, not plastic or stainless steel, and some pretty decent reviews.

After two months of use, both my cat and I LOVE it!

She drinks frequently and deeply and is maintaining her hydration really well.

Now for some details and "tips".

It's hard to tell from the product photos how this thing works. I've posted a video, which should help. A submerged pump under the roundish bowl on the top piece moves water up to the bowl. TIP: Set the pump to its lowest setting. It's quieter and works better.

The water then runs down the curved trough of the top piece and falls through a slight, curved notch between the top piece and the bottom piece. The water falls into the "pool" that's in the bottom piece and recirculates. TIP: The level of water in the "pool" will affect how much visible and audible flow is created. If you fill it too full, the water will circulate, but with no "tinkling" noise and not much apparent current on the surface. My cat is drawn by the sound of running water and likes to drink from flowing water, so it took me a while to realize what the "trick" is to getting the "raindrop" effect.

Even on the lowest setting, the motor is not silent. In fact it produces a quite audible, although not loud, hum. Using the lowest pump setting minimizes the hum, but on a hard surface there's a transfer/amplification effect. So, I put a layer of bubble-pack under it (on top of a tile bathroom floor), and it was much quieter. I would suggest the manufacturer provide an optional, thin, cut-to-size pad for use on hard surfaces.

When I first placed the fountain where my cat had her water bowl, she wouldn't go near it because of the motor hum. So, for about ten days, I just placed the bottom bowl (without the motor) in the spot and used it like a regular bowl. My cat quickly adjusted to that change. Then I added the top piece, still without motor, for another ten days, and my cat never missed a beat. Then I added the motor, and she was a little hesitant at first, but within a few days, she was headed straight for the fountain after she eats.

The fountain is ingeniously shaped so if you position it right, there's room for the cat's head and mouth to face the stream. That's the way my cat always drinks. In the video, she's approaching it from the side because I was in her way to capture her drinking.

BTW, there's a filter in the pump, which you can remove or maintain and replace on a regular basis. I keep it in so it filters out the occasional debris she has on her whiskers.

Hope this long story helps some of your own little critters enjoy their own in-home "stream."
on July 9, 2010
I recently ordered one of these ceramic water fountains and really like it. It is easy to assemble, its quiet, my two cats immediately went for it. It definitely stays cleaner than Drinkwell.

The only drawbacks to this fountain is that it does have to be refilled almost daily and you really have to watch that the top portion is placed correctly on the bowl otherwise, the water will go all over the floor. My cats are bad about putting their paw in the bowl and moving the top piece thus draining the bowl on the floor. So, I would not keep this connected if I were going out of town overnight and not able to check the bowl.

I really love the ceramic though. Its great, and not as harsh as the plastic fountains. This is a major step in the right direction, but could use a few improvements in design to keep that top piece from moving just slightly to where the water spills all over the floor.

This is an addendum to my original review of this product. I've had it a while now and the only drawback to this fountain is the top portion. I have had more water spills all over the floor and the bowl empty because my two cats put their paws in the bowl and move the top piece. When moved every so slightly, it allows the water to go everywhere.
1414 comments| 314 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2015
The item came smashed to pieces. I never got around to return it, so in the end I glued it together and it looks like a franken-fountain, but the cat loves it! Definitely runs rather silently compared to other fountains, and maintenance is easy (cleaning, opening the pump to scrub it, etc.), although to be honest I've only done that one time, the water keeps fresh for a long time circulating as it does, and I refill it every other day (the size is perfect).

I've own it for close to eight months now and the pump is still going strong, same filter too (and my cat is really finicky about her fresh water).
review image review image
Like I did!

A lot of people have written good reviews for this product, and I agree: If you get a box that contains a top ceramic piece that matches the bottom ceramic piece, this is not a terrible fountain. But BUYER BEWARE: It was confirmed by both the manufacturer (in a phone conversation) and the seller (in an email) that what I received was defective.

With the top piece not fitting onto the bottom piece correctly, the fountain is time-consuming to assemble after cleaning. The pump housing does not fit where it should; the holes (that the water shoots through) do not line up properly and the heavy ceramic pieces wobble and sit precariously and are easily disturbed. The result is constant adjustment so that you can stop the water flowing out onto your floor.

The picture on the box shows the ceramic pieces fitting together tightly, except of course for that few inches where the water flows down. If you look closely at the picture on the product page, you can see that what they are selling now does NOT fit tightly at the back. Because of this the pump housing is not able to sit flat on the bottom of the bowl, which in turns causes a disruption in the water's path up through the pump, the plastic housing, and the water's exit hole in the top ceramic piece.

If this item was sold by Amazon it would be totally guaranteed--including shipping. That is not the case with this item. The seller--claiming to not believe that I had a defective fountain (when so many other people have been happy with their's)--insisted I return the item to them at my expense, which was over $20. Even with Amazon's A to Z guarantee, I will never recoup that $20. And now the seller has the defective fountain back to sell to someone else. UPDATE, Feb. 10, 2013: After I posted my review and gave seller feedback, the seller contacted me to say she will mail me a check to reimburse me for the shipping charge...after she returns from her 10-day vacation...Nice way of doing business, huh?

If you decide to take a chance on this product, and happen to get a good one, you should be aware of several things: You will need to buy filters almost immediately; only one is included in the box and they don't last long. And another thing: You need to totally dismantle the fountain each time you clean it--this includes unwinding the black power cord through the bottom ceramic piece by way of where it plugs into the adapter at the wall. The entire cord has to be pulled "backwards" through bottom ceramic piece. The cord is long and if your distance to the power supply is relatively short and you fold up and tie off the cord to keep it safely out of the way, you will need to unwind it each time you clean the fountain. If you were thinking to hide the black cord behind a wire camouflaging strip, you will not be able to.
77 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 3, 2016
First, let me state that I have 5 cats. About 10 years ago my cats got sick due to their water bowl; all five and that wasn't fun. My vet told me to use a pet fountain and since then I have. I have two running in different areas of the house to make sure the cats have adequate water. I am sure to fill the water fountains with filtered water, etc. I have had no issues since with my cats getting sick due to their water bowl.

Now, comes into play what is the right pet fountain to use. Well, to be honest I have probably tried them all. I just donated six to Goodwill last week in fact. Throughout these past ten years I have tried 12 different ones. They varied in sound, size, shape, spout, water flow, etc...

What brought me to this pet fountain was the fact that I had one pet water fountain that kept leaking. You walked by and for no reason whatsoever the carpet is wet. It happened so often it eventually stained the carpet, etc. Not to mention I hate being woken up in the middle of the night because you can hear the motor overworking when the water level is low...so, I became determined to find a replacement.

What I like about this pet fountain is it is ceramic and not plastic. So, that part was a no brainer. My cats only eat from stainless steel bowls as well. However, I did wonder if the cats would drink out of it as they tend to drink from where the water flows out of fountain spout than the actual basin and this pet fountain is structured completely different.

The second selling point for me was the ease of cleaning. I clean the pet water fountains once a week, that is 104 cleanings a year times 10 years...Every single pet fountain I have used in the past is a pain to clean...there are so many crevices that you simply cannot reach to clean and if you put plastic in the dishwasher you are technically poisoning your pets, so hand washing is the only option. It is a chore until TODAY! Wow, this is so easy to clean, no crevices I mean it is really easy to clean. I actually don't dread cleaning the pet fountain anymore. I wish I would have tried this a lot sooner. Though it gets better. With five cats you can imagine that cat hair that will get caught in the motor and yes it does. I have long hair cats. With all previous pet fountains you have to do a thorough cleaning weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) because the pet hair gets caught up in the motor and affects the operation of the pet fountain...well, you can imagine my surprise to find out that is really not the case with this pet fountain. Barely any hair gets in, nothing at all like before. The clam shaped housing for the motor for all intent and purposes protects the motor and prevents hair from clogging it. That equates to you don't have to clean it that often. YES! Cleaning is even easier.

I do have to admit I read the reviews beforehand and people had stated to buy the white ceramic drinking fountain model over the other as you have more visibility in monitoring the fountain, etc. Let me tell you, white was the last color I wanted to buy, but it made sense as you can see if the water is dirty, the water level, etc. so I purchased the white model and I do not regret it. It is beyond easy to see the water level and if any dry food crumbs or anything else that should not be in the bowl is there it is 100% visible and you know when to change it out if need be.

Of course, I am more than elated to report the fact that this pet fountain does not leak, in fact it is physically impossible for it to leak which was another no brainer for me.

Now, for sound. Initially I thought it was louder than all the others I have ever had. Normally, you don't really hear the pet fountains and if you do it is a faint drip nothing overbearing, but this one was louder than normal. You knew it was there. However, there is a switch on the motor that you can adjust the flow. Also, I discovered that if you fill the pet fountain up (close to the brim) it is quieter. So, now since doing both those things the pet fountain is quiet like the others I have had. Otherwise, it does have sound... though I have not once heard the motor overwork which is really nice. The water flow will get slightly louder when the water level is lower, but it is not disrupting or annoying like with the other water fountains where you hear the motor being overworked.

As for the cats, thank God they actual use it. I am not the only one that likes it LOL! I do have to admit at first the cats were like, what is this...but then again they do that with anything new. Oddly enough, each cat actually drinks from it differently. I have included a video of the sound with the water level low, the visibility of seeing what is in the pet fountain at all times and its water level, and the lack of sound with the water level high and the flow switch used. Needless to say, I will be replacing my other pet water fountain as well with this same model.

The only downside for me would be the filters. Can I easily get the filters at Pet Smart or Petco??? didn't see them and those stores tend to all push the Drinkwell fountains, etc. however, for what you get which is a healthy, non messy, easy to clean, less hassle pet fountain this is a minor issue for me if I have to buy the filters online from here on out. Plus, you can buy a year worth of filters (10 pack) for $11 which is what I did. Usually, the other filters I had to use were four for $10 so I am saving money in the long run ordering the filters on Amazon for this pet water fountain.

It is tricky to open the clam shape housing but it gets easier each time you do it.

Overall the pet fountain kind of reminds me of a toilet bowl and I refuse to let my cats drink out of the toilet bowl so it is a win win scenario for us both.

Long story short, I LOVE IT.
on January 17, 2017
I am now in complete agreement with Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory..engineers aren't really scientists. Whomever designed this thing for one, didn't think it thru, and two doesn't know animals. I purchased this thinking a porcelain bowl would keep the water cooler on hot summer days, and that it would elevate the skin problems (feline acne) my female cat was having with my previously purchased plastic CAT MATE brand fountain.
Problems:
1. Unless the pump that is included is one HIGH, this pump doesn't have enough force to pump the water thru the hole on the top of the fountain, this means the pump will probably wear out in a very short time.
2.The Pump is noisy! I can literally hear this thing upstairs in my home, which means my cats won't go near it. Cats for the most part don't like noisy items, ESPECIALLY when it involves their food and drink!
3. The small gap on the side of the bowl where the water falls back into the main bowl, is a huge splatter problem! This can mean slippery floors unless it's placed on a mat. This could be fixed with a redesign where the water flows in a circle.
4. This bowl is too small for three cats.
5. The pump is store inside the fountain in a small clam shell type housing that isn't well designed. The cord and pump fit were not well thought out.

All in all I gave this item two stars because it does work, but my cats hate it. I'm sending it back
on August 8, 2012
After much research, I bought this fountain for my four cats. They love it! They started using it as soon as I placed it on the floor. It's large enough for four cats but doesn't take up much space on the floor. It's heavy but not difficult to manage. So far, my cats have not been able to flip it over. The only thing I think would be an improvement is for the top plate to be secured in some way to the bottom. My cats knock the top off so I have a rubber band around it and that works just fine. It emits a lovely sound of tinkling water and the water stays fresh and cool all day. I suggest you get the white one. It is so easy to clean and you can spot any hairs or other debri very quickly. I usually dump the water every morning and pour in fresh water from my fridge. I have rarely been this happy with a product. Highly recommended!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.