Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 396 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 468 reviews
on January 18, 2012
I personally really like Microsoft Office Suite, and I especially like the new features in this 2010 edition. Of course, I'm upgrading to this version on a new PC I just built using Win 7 Pro 64bit. My older version was MS Office 2002 - Word, Excel, MS Outlook, Publisher,etc. on a 32bit WinXP machine. I use these programs extensively for so many different things, even Word to make landscape and similar drawings -- features in Word that unfortunately many people don't even know it has. Excel is, in my mind, one of the best spreadsheet programs and integrates without a hitch with the other Office software and they all work well with my other photo and editing programs.

After reading many reviews, I expected to be disappointed in this newer version and anticipated a lengthy if not frustrating learning curve. But so far -- that hasn't been the case at all. The "Ribbon" is new over 2002. The location of some features I was used to are in different places. I couldn't believe, for example, that the UNDO button (which I use all the time) wasn't right up there prominently by default in the "ribbon". It wasn't. I had to add it to the Quick Bar. The picture crops are different, etc. STILL -- I don't understand all the whining in reviews about this version. It's fantastic, far better with far more features that are handy and far more customizable than 2002, and it ONLY takes a quick lookup in HELP if you're stuck finding WHERE Microsoft put the feature you want to use. Still, I found the programs to be HIGHLY INTUITIVE to use. I can't wait to really get into these programs more, but if you already know a previous version, it won't be hard. I've created over a month of various types of documents easily with only using the HELP file twice, and once upfront on the MS website to learn what the heck this "ribbon" was all about.

Also - research your options for purchase of Win7 and/or Office carefully. Which version/License Agreement do you need for your purposes? MS LICENSE agreements vary. Do you want software for 1 PC or 2. Do you want to be able to "transfer" your copy to another hard drive (called "transferable" in the License Agreement) if, for example, your hard drive dies or you step up to a solid state drive for your boot vs a 3.5" hard disk drive? Nowadays, "IT" knows, and though I adore Johnny Depp, I'm no pirate. Still -- I don't want problems trying to reinstall, for example Win7, after a hard disk change with the mighty MS telling me I can't reactivate because I purchased a one-time, one PC "Product Key" version. Do you? MS License agreements for the different purchase options can be read online on the MS website under each product, e.g. Win 7 or Office 2010.

IMPORTANT! The specific version of Office 2010 I bought comes with two disks -- the 32bit and 64bit versions of Office 2010. IF YOU DIDN'T READ ABOUT WHETHER TO INSTALL THE 32BIT OR 64BIT VERSION OF MS OFFICE 2010 but have a 64bit Win 7 PC -- then you might want to go to the Microsoft Windows Seven Forums or Knowledge Base / Support site FIRST - BEFORE assuming the 64-bit version of Office 2010 is right for you. (Who wants to intall/uninstall and reinstall Win7 or Office). Pain and time consuming. Only people with very specific needs should install MS Office 64 bit even on a Win7 64 bit PC. Why? in short, the 64bit Version of Office will NOT be compatible with many other programs you may run, and actually loses functionality with add-ons, etc. So unless your needs are specific to those specific features in the 64bit version (see the MS website/knowledge base) -- Microsoft recommends you install the 32-bit version of Office on a 64bit Win7PC. I'm very glad I read this first because I would have "assumed" the 64bit version would have been right for my Win 7 64 bit machine and there's really no warning in the product box itself, even though the 32bit would install by default unless you change it during install. After reading about both 32 and 64bit Office, I found that I acutally needed the functionality of the 32bit version, and that's what I ended up installing. Can always change later if my needs change. AS JUST ONE EXAMPLE: If you've installed the 64bit Version of Office but are having problems with your email, attachments or some people you send email to can't open your attachments -- look first to your 64 bit version as a possible cause.

Overall -- Pricey I think, but great Office programs I couldn't do without. You get what you pay for! Best total price for what I wanted was right here on Amazon!
I've been dragging my feet on making the switch for years. Mainly because while I like 'new', I don't much fancy 'change', particularly when the software I've been using is now like a member of the family because it's been around so long.

When looking at installing MS Office Home & Business 2010 I couldn't decide whether to completely uninstall 2003 or to upgrade. I searched the Internet and found a video that explained how to do a 'dual-install'. Keeping MS Office 2003 Professional (except for Outlook as it is removed and replaced by default when you install Office 2010) and installing Office 2010 next to it - so you can use both.

If you want to know how to do it, type in 'Installing Office 2010 and keeping previous versions (dual install)' in the YouTube search box. You should find what you're looking for to explain this install in more detail.

It's really easy to do it (took no more than 15 minutes between first screen and reboot) and it works well for me.

I did go to Microsoft and take the Outlook 2010 tutorial lessons prior to doing this so that at the very least I'd be up to speed with the email functions out of the gate. That helped explain 'ribbons' too. Something the 2003 Office Suite doesn't have, which I think are a nice addition to future versions.

On my newer Dell running Windows 7 64-bit, this software flies by comparison to the 2003 version. The interface is easy to use and understand, and I'm impressed with Microsoft's library of video tutorials to get you up to speed on its features.

Overall this is a worthy upgrade for those who are using Office 2003 or later. Yes, it's expensive, but when you consider how often you use it, it's perfect for a home office user (like me) or small business owner trying to keep track of meetings and spreadsheets.

2PCs/1 user : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook - works for me! Quick and lots of features. Glad I made the change.
on December 23, 2010
Office 2010 is 5 stars. The activation & pricing scheme is 1 star. New average = 3 stars.

Office 2010 is different from previous MS office iterations in its marketing scheme.

Home/student disc = NO OUTLOOK, key good for 3 computers

Home/Biz disc = OUTLOOK, key good for 2 computers

Home/Biz activation key = One computer

Very sneaky this change up in my opinion to catch buyers off guard. Read carefully. Learn from my lesson, I bought home student (3 computers) FIRST and discovered after purchase that Outlook wasn't there. I wasted $150. I'd normally suck it up in my rating as it was my error ... the package clearly DOES NOT mention Outlook. MSOneNote is new and an unknown for now. I don't see an intuitively obvious use for it yet. As a trade off for Outlook, it seems like a loser.

The second buy was home/biz ... except, to find it is only good for 2 computers ... yet another surprise AND I was more careful in reading fine print this time.

The product description needs to provide this information upfront regarding both no Outlook in Home/School and the # of computers/key in the same bold font as the MS attributes. I called MS ... I can generally cajole my way to an extra add on, but not this time. MS offered no consideration for my home/student wasted $150 which the MS activation center said was clearly obvious with overlapping licenses for Word, Powerpoint & Excel.

I have no gripe on the price. It's worth buying but the buying experience is not happy for multiple computers. The Amazon price is the lowest available.

MSO 2010 did solve a quirky Outlook 2007 behavior that took up residence on one of my 4 home machines that had rendered it non-email friendly. I must have spent close to $1000 in tech support to unsuccessfully resolve that one.
on January 29, 2013
I don't like it, but it's all there is. I have been using versions of Microsoft Office since Office 97. Usually Microsoft took a reasonable path of incremental "improvements" and more or less reasonably priced upgrades. It seems as of late they have taken a regressive path. In this version I find that not only have the rearranged the buttons and menus, and changed things that were working just fine. One of my gripes, and they are considerable, is they way it handles duplex printing. In Office 2003, Word all I had to do was configure Word that I was printing on both sides of the sheet, and place the odd-even page numbers on the outside. Not it seem that I have to not only tell Word that I am duplex printing, but I have to assign the page number placement separately and explicitly on the first two pages. If I don't then only the odd pages (that is the recto side) print. I have to tell the even numbered pages that they are in fact the even numbered page. I have a whole litany of grips but this venue (I'm not complaining) does not allow for such details. Another big gripe is their lack of documentation, If I buy a car at least I get a driver's manual, no matter the year, make or model. With Microsoft if I want to drill down on their product the only solution is a lot of expensive ($30 to $50 a pop) third party "missing manuals" that have no resale value. If there were a reasonable alternative, I might be persuaded to jump ship. This is only one product in the bundle, don't get me started on the rest of the bundle.
on February 4, 2013
hello,
i have used microsoft office since the early days on all of my computers. i read the reviews on the new office 2013 and thought it may be the latest and best. but, this office 2010 is the one that fit my needs. the products are "enhanced" but easy to use, just like the older versions of the "office" programs. i purchased the 2pc version so i may upgrade on my other desktop at a later date and not have to mess with a subscription service as in the future office models. i am very happy with the office 2010 and will probably have it for quite awhile. the set up was relatively easy except for one simple glitch in the outlook install. once that was identified, the install went smoothly. there are so many new features of the old office products that it will take a while to sort them out. i am patient and will see if i really need or want to use them. but for now, everything runs a little faster, looks nicer and i am pleased.
thanks amazon and microsoft...
on June 15, 2010
I'm coming from OLD versions of these applications. I'm ashamed to say I was still using a version of Word 2002 on one of my computers...Yikes! I've been using Mozilla's excellent (and free) Thunderbird client for many years.

So the standout here for me, is Outlook. I honestly can't figure how I ever effectively used email before. If you've ever tried to configure Thunderbird for gmail access using either POP or IMAP, it is a multi-step process (by multi, I mean like 22 steps) to get to the end. Complete with re-mapping ports, changing TLS and server configurations, the whole deal. I could always get it to work, eventually, and once it's set, it just works after that. You only had to go through that process once. But since I do OS re-installs somewhat regularly, I had to go through this Thunderbird "initialization" process many, many times.

So I download the Office 2010 Beta. (the full beta that installs on your hdd, not the virtualization beta which was garbage and took forever to load up).

It asks me some pointed questions about my gmail account. Literally like 2 questions: my email address and my password. There might have been one other question or 2, but I don't think so. Outlook basically configured itself instantly after I entered my information, no port mapping or any of that other stuff. It just worked and immediately started synchronizing my folders. This was impressive in and of itself, but the conversation feature was great as well, where Outlook keeps threaded replies under one conversation heading. It just streamlines things and makes it much better. (note: I've discovered that the conversation feature "confused" a lot of users; it has therefore been disabled in the final product. Go to your view section of your ribbon and click the box "show as conversations" to re-enable. I honestly don't understand how this could be confusing, but ok. Just turn it on, any logic-minded person will like it.)

The Search option is invaluable as well. It acts like an index-able search and starts returning results as you type. I had a product that had failed on me, but that also had a 3 year warranty that was nearing expiration. I typed in the name of the product and outlook finds all pertinent messages in my Gmail account from 32 months ago...instantly. (actually before I even finished typing its name). Thunderbird has not replicated this functionality in any meaningful way, not even close. Normally I would be combing through pages and pages of emails trying to find the one I needed. This little feature has saved me so much time, I can't even tell you. And I just stumbled upon it, which makes it even better. You can type anything in this box: email addresses, names, words that may only appear in the subject or body. It finds it all instantly as you type.

So the big deal here is something I haven't mentioned which is called the Ribbon interface. This is the fancy menu-ing system at the top of each application. So where you would normally have static menu buttons as any browser/application does, the ribbon options change based on which heading you click. This is cool and is pretty well standardized between applications. Each application obviously has different needs for the major headings, but the functionality is the same. Outlook is a visually impressive app as compared to Thunderbird. Even my wife noticed something was different when she saw it on my screen for the 1st time. (I still had Thunderbird installed on her computer.) Thunderbird looks absolutely midieval in comparison. After months of using the Office 2010 beta, I was on my wife's computer and loaded up Thunderbird. The difference is big.

Though I have never used Outlook 2007, I have read this is a major upgrade in every way over it, and no question over Outlook 2003. I also loved the new Calendar system, again much better than what I used to with Thunderbird, which for a long time was an extra plugin, called Sunbird.

The other standout in my opinion is Word 2010. This is still the yardstick by which other word processors are measured. It's got insane functionality and can do things that I will probably never, ever have a need for. This seems to be more of several, tiny optimizations that are visible after a few weeks of use. Word 2007 also had the ribbon UI, but this has been refined. Word 2010's search/navigation functionality has been drastically improved: this is especially handy for long/multi-page documents. All the functionality you could ever want in a word processor is here and it is also a beautiful app as compared to something like Google docs or Open Office. Not picking on them or anything, because obviously you're gonna get more for a paid app vs. a free one. I have WordPerfect at work, and I can barely stand to use it in comparison. Not sure why, but no one can touch Microsoft as far as Word goes.

These 2 programs alone justify the $240 price tag here, since you will spend more than that by purchasing only those 2 programs as stand alone apps. So I figured I might as well get this one since it also comes with Excel, Power Point, and One Note.

On Excel, a big boost to graphing and charts is the ability to interact with them and have them change in real time so you can see what effects small changes may have on a given data set. Microsoft gives this addition a tech buzz word (pivotChart); but all it means is you can see the effects that data has graphically, and instantly. It also has had its ribbon interface heavily modified/tweaked as well. I'm really glad I got Excel with this package (I didn't think I'd ever use it.) I have since had a business opportunity and have had to draft a business plan, profit/loss projections, and month to month projections. Templates are super easy to find on Microsoft's website and the bank even sent me a template for a personal financial statement in Excel 2010 format. It was nice to have the necessary software load up and ready to go, when I clicked the attachment from my banker.

PowerPoint 2010: I've put together two presentations with it thus far. They seemed to go overboard with the picture/video options; video editing is kinda crazy with this. If you want to spend the time learning the ins and outs, it seemed quite powerful to me as far as that stuff goes. Photo editing has also been ramped up. You can basically do everything within the program now vs. having to use Photoshop or Adobe Premier/Final Cut to process the footage, add frames, effects, crop, fix audio, etc. Basically you had to do all this first in PowerPoint 2007 and then load it into your ppt file. This is pretty big if you do a lot of presentations or slideshows.

One Note is for online collaboration. You essentially share data such as class notes, etc. in the cloud with whoever you want. Schools and students may find this helpful, but I haven't really had a need to use it yet.

If you don't want/need Outlook, they have a home and student edition. You can spend more and get Publisher and Access in the Professional edition if you even need that sort of thing. I hope you don't since that'll cost you close to $500 for the entire suite.

As far as versions, obviously this edition (the Home and Business edition) is the best value for the money in my opinion. Also, definitely get the disc version since it allows 2 installs. That means I can give my wife the suite as well on her computer. So the key card option, which is basically just a product key that you would enter into a authorization box in the version that you download, will only allow you one install, but the price is $200! You get to install it twice for $240 with the Home and Business edition. It's definitely NOT worth saving $40 to only get to install it on one PC.

All the applications have attractive, animated splash screens and load extremely quickly on my 2 year old PC. Overall, I would say definite upgrade from Office 2003 and to atleast consider it if moving from Office 2007. Unless you're an Outlook user and that would become a "definite upgrade" as well.

Hope you've enjoyed this review from a user who's actually used the product for several months via the beta and then the final version (Amazon verified purchase), as I wanted to give some original feedback.

UPDATE 6/23/2010: So after using the Office 2010 Beta for over 6 months, I received my copy of the final version from Amazon several days ago. I just un-installed the beta and ran the setup from the DVD ROM. A little hiccup with the uninstall occurred where I received an error message of "could not un-install all components." A reboot solved that issue. Setup was fairly quick (between 5 and 10 minutes), and Outlook retained all of my email settings. Upon loading it for the 1st time, no questions were asked, it just worked like it always had. That is because uninstalling Outlook doesn't delete your Outlook data, it saves it in a .pst file. This gives your email/calendar/contact data persistence. I was impressed by this. No having to use a 3rd party backup utility like Mozbackup that I had to do with Thunderbird. There are other reviews that reference that pst file transfer should be a 5 minute process. Well, it is. Actually, it's more like a 2 minute process. But for a non-techie, it might be a challenge. Most of us geeks know that calling support for something like this will be a fruitless effort. Research online forums for quicker, more pertinent help.

Also, all the programs now run insanely fast. I guess a few optimizations have taken place since I originally downloaded the beta. You barely get to see the splash screen animate now before the apps are already loaded. I can confirm the key code that comes with this disc allows 2 full installs on 2 different PC's. Both suites have been activated with no issues whatsoever.

Furthermore, I wanted to let you know that you should not install the 64 bit version of Office 2010. Both my machines are 64 bit chipsets, but I installed the 32 bit version on both. Even Microsoft recommends installing the 32 bit version over the 64 bit version. It will likely introduce more problems than it solves with no measurable speed/productivity increases whatsoever. The only reason you would want to consider this is if you're dealing with massive (as in larger than 2 GB) files in Excel. So if you're not doing Godzilla-sized spreadsheets, leave the 64 bit version alone. PLUS the 64 bit version of Outlook is gimped because it loses the add-in functionality. Add-ins are helper apps just like add-ons are for Firefox. You don't want to use Outlook without them.
1919 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2015
NOT AS ADVERTISED! NOT BRAND NEW! PREVIOUSLY OPENED (see photo), then resealed (see add'l photo) with apparently fake label placed over original label. When I tried to register online, I was notified that the key code had been used too many times. I had read the other reviews for cheaper download versions and the problems with the key codes being used. I reasoned that IF this was indeed a brand new 2 PC version which was priced well above the original price, I was willing to pay the price for what I wanted for my desktop and laptop. I also had read the many negative reviews concerning Office 2013 and really wanted to get Office 2010, but I will now opt for a REAL unopened disc version of Office 2013, which as I have read, Microsoft has relented and allowed a single user to use on both the primary computer and a portable computer. SOMETIMES YOU DON'T EVEN GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
review image review image
on March 10, 2011
Upgrade? Improved? I don't think so. I finally got used to the ribbon and the MS button in 2007,and actually liked that button after taking a fakken course on how to use it. With the MS button, I could customize Excel to open each file the way I wanted it opened. Same with the other programs. I have yet to figure out how to do that with 2010. I guess I need to take another fakken course, since I'm not a technological genius.

I wish MS would STOP "improving" their Office product, but I know that will never happen, and is a selfish and unrealistic desire. Even the old 2003 version did everything I needed for my school, work, and small business needs. I have too many more important things to do than to spend hours figuring out these new products. And my new Office 2010 is SLOW. I can't type a sentence in Word without a long pause. I often have to wait a minute when I click in an Excel cell for the program to catch up. And this is on a new computer with a TB of memory and 8GB RAM. Not that I really know what that means; I just know I bought it so it wouldn't be slow.

I avoided buying the "Activation Key" because it sounded untrustworthy. And in response to the guy who said it's no big deal: it is good to know that you can just call them, but it's still a shame that MS is making upgrades so difficult and costly for their loyal customers. I think it indicates a company attitude that customer satisfaction doesn't matter - that the only thing that matters is making the almighty buck. I guess that's okay considering MS isn't a charity, but it still doesn't make me feel too happy as a consumer, because I have no option for other office software. And I think that's the point. MS knows it. So screw the customer. I've always been a fan of Microsoft, and an advocate of the Office programs. Have always been impressed with Excel, in particular, and supported the company when it was going through lawsuits years ago. But that's over now. Now I'm just someone stuck using it because I have to, and I'm not thrilled about it anymore.
on November 21, 2013
The Office Home & Business 2010 package meets our needs for Outlook, Word, and Excel. We avoided buying Windows 8 and Office 2013, opting for a new computer that had Windows 7, because we don't like the features of the newer versions. Microsoft is trying to mimic the Apple systems, which are not geared to professional people as users. We like print menus and lots of choices that we can select as needed. I don't want a program second-guessing what I'm trying to do, and then not letting me get there when it has guessed wrong - this happens with the Apple products and Windows 8. The older Microsoft versions of their operating systems and software, with drop-down menus, should have been left alone. We also don't need to store our files in the cloud for more space, or work on files with others (2013 version). There are other programs that allow networking.
This package, which allows installation on one desktop as well as one portable computer, is a good deal financially.
on February 22, 2013
I like office 2010; it is a great release. I think it will go down in history with 97, 2K, and 2K3. Unfortunately, Microsoft is pushing its prices back up. I bought this a year ago, and I noticed it is $70 more now than it was a year ago. It is sensible for an office setting to have one user allowed to install on multiple machines- one for my desktop, one for my laptop, and this fits the bill.

When Microsoft cut the prices on Office a few years back, I argued anyone who pirated it was stupid- three academic licenses for $130? How is that not worth it? One business license for $120? Totally understandable! Two installs for almost $300....? Now you're just driving business to Pirate Bay. Sensible pricing, licensing, and delivery is the way to beat piracy. Most people I know quit pirating music as soon as pandora offered subscriptions and Amazon offered DRM-free, cheap downloads. I'm sorry, but more than $200 for a double-install of Office is Microsoft's way to bring back WAREZ.

While I'm at this rant, I also enjoyed porting this license to the new laptop I got this week. You can't do that with 2013. I would have had to buy ANOTHER license. Come on- good products should make money, but quit being jerks.