Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,124 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,170 reviews
on September 7, 2010
Most of the reviews I read before I purchased my first mandoline were positive for ones that I would have to purchase on-line. I wanted a slicer within a day or two, so my first purchase was from Bed Bath and Beyond. All of the attachments were attached to the slicer and at first I thought it was neat. Then, I went to use it and realized that every time I used the slicer, all of the attachments would get dirty. I returned it without even using it. I read a LOT of reviews before I bought my second mandoline. The second slicer I purchased was from Ace Hardware. I usually wouldn't purchase something like this from Ace; however, the slicer they carry had some good reviews. I retured it after one use. The blade was so dull that it wouldn't slice through a tomato. Then I purchased the Swissmar Borner V-7000 and I am very happy with it. It is simple and easy to use. With the push of a button I can change the thickness of a slice. It has a setting where the board is pushed right up to the blade for storage so you don't get cut when shuffling the mandoline around. It is light and easy to use with rubber feet so it doesn't slide when slicing. All I have to do to use it is grab it off the counter, push the button for desired thickness and start slicing. A quick rinse as soon as I am done using it and it is clean. It is so easy to use and clean that I use it even for the smallest jobs like making a quick sandwich just for myself. I highly recommend this slicer
1414 comments| 457 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2017
If a kitchen tool can be loved, I love this one! With an optional oval-shaped plastic bowl, it is the salad-maker supreme - not just effective and speedy but exhilarating to use. The bold red color helps, but performance is what I’m talking about.
Convenience is great too. This design combines the advantages of on-board and separate housing of tools by having the tool case attach to the underside of the body. Then everything just fits in the bowl.
True, this unit can’t manage crinkle or waffle cuts because the V-blade isn’t interchangeable, but I didn’t mind buying another small Borner mandoline for that special purpose - not expensive and really just as convenient as changing blades.
Strange to say, my main machine has a production flaw. Molded-in graphics indicate that the thick-slicing julienne blade can make square dices. Unlike the thin-slicing julienne blade, however, the thick-slicer won’t adjust to the indicated dicing position (so, no dice!). I have heard of Borner introducing an updated model that won’t disappoint in that way but still have all the old virtues. Mine is from 2013.
Oh, well. Lots of little machines can dice vegetables!

UPDATE: How amazing! - after four years of thinking that my large-julienne cutter wouldn’t and couldn’t make diced vegetables, I have stumbled on how to make it work. In case anyone else needs help, here’s how: you know that you want to move the julienne assembly upward and inward toward the V-blades, according to the molded index point for dicing. But you must start (counter-intuitively) by pushing firmly DOWNWARD on its opposite end (nearest the handle, farthest from the blades); this allows a small, hidden plastic pin to move down and underneath a barrier and onto a plastic ramp that guides the whole assembly exactly to where it needs to go. What results is the promised dicing action.
on June 14, 2015
I love V slicers. I have been using the basic (V-1001) Borner white slicer for many years and was due for another replacement, as the plastic was falling apart after almost daily use for over 5 years. This time, I thought I'd upgrade to this model, to give it a try. I have learned that you can't always improve on a good thing. This unit works on the same concept as the original, but changed a few things.

First, the inserts for making small and large strips are the same as previous models, which you slip and and away you go. The straight slicer, however, has changed. Before you had one insert, and inserting it one way provided very thin slices, and flip it over, and you get thicker slices. This model, you slip it in one way, and there is a button on the side of the unit that you push and adjust the depth where insert sits, thus adjusting the slice thickness accordingly. It sounds god on paper, since now you have more options for thickness. The problem is the button mechanism is hard to work, frustrating to set, and when struggling with it, there is a real danger that you'll slice your finger. Once the slicer is set up, you need to make practice slices to see how they come out and then adjust. The V-1001, you know what your getting before you start. I find it very difficult to use and takes up more time than it's worth.

The V-1001 is quick, easy to use, set-up and clean. ThisV-7000 is hard to set-up, is not consistent, hard to pack back up again. (and is more expensive). It is also larger, which makes it somewhat more difficult to store.
Why did I wait so long to buy one of these? To tell you the truth, I was afraid of the blades. Yes, this is definitely a "slicing machine," and it does it remarkably well. I've been putting it through its paces over the last couple of days and as long as I am careful, I will have remarkably evenly sliced and diced fruits and vegetables and retain my fingertips.

Why use a mandoline slicer over a knife? A mandoline makes quick and extremely even slices of just about anything you throw at it. You can slice a ripe tomato into beautiful, thin, perfectly even slices faster than you can take the serrated knife out of the drawer. You can make translucent-thin slices of radish or chop an onion for sautéing. And there is very little mess as everything is contained under the mandoline and doesn't go flying around as it is being cut.

This Swissmar mandoline is made by Borner in Germany. Everything about it is solid, well thought out and precision made. I purchased the product in white, but it also comes in orange, red, and green.

Here are some things you should know:

1) The instruction book is quite thick as it comes in 24 different languages. English is on the last two pages. Go directly to the back and read the instructions, they are important.

2) There are also pictographs. Some are very helpful, some are quite small....too small to be really useful. A larger, easy to understand version is on the Amazon product page.

3) The product page on Amazon has a video by the manufacturer. I found it quite helpful

4) The main part of the mandoline is a molded slab of plastic with a handle on one end and two very sharp, permanently attached blades angled into a V in the middle. The "Plain Insert" is a sturdy, V shaped piece of plastic that is inserted into slots at the bottom of the main part of the mandoline. When inserted fully, and clicked into place, the "Plain Insert" rests against the sharp blades and acts as a "Safety" to close and secure the device for storage and cleaning. The "Plain Insert" can be pulled and clicked into four slicing positions that provide different thickness of slices for varying textures of food.

5) In addition to the "Plain Insert" there are two additional inserts: a 3.5 and a 7mm slicer for cutting strips, julienne, shreds, and cubes. The "Plain Insert" is removed from under the mandoline and one of the others is inserted in its place. Each of these inserts has two positions, one providing a slightly thinner version of the other.

6) There is a plastic holder for the two inserts that snaps on to the back of the mandoline for safe storage.

7) There is a large, round "Safety Holder" or finger guard. It is absolutely imperative that it is used! Cleverly designed, it is a large, dome-shaped plastic disk that has multiple prongs on the bottom and a large tab on the top. You secure the food on to the prongs and, as you guide the finger guard over the blades, you provide slight pressure to the disk on the top. By providing the slight pressure, the tab pushes most of the food through the blades and there is very little waste that remains on the prongs. Arrows on the finger guard ensure that it is moved in the correct direction.

8) As you slide the finger guard (with the food attached to it) over the mandoline with a light back and forth motion, the food is silently sliced and lays in neat piles under the device. The first time I used it, I was slicing a large radish that was totally obscured under the finger guard, and it seemed as if it had almost immediately vanished into thin air! I picked up the finger guard and just a bit of the stem end of the radish remained attached to the prongs. Where was the rest of it? I picked up the mandoline off the counter and there, underneath, was a little, perfect pile of translucent radish slices.

9) Tomatoes require an adjustment for a thicker cut. I also found that one needed to "start" a tomato by slicing a small bit off the end so that the blades could "grab" the fruit and start slicing. Four back and forth movements slices a large tomato.

10) The 3.5mm insert was good for mincing an onion, the 7mm blade chopped it finely.

11) There is a way to dice that requires turning the finger guard 45° before the first cut and then 90° back prior to the next cut. I have yet to master this technique and have strangely cut a potato into peculiarly shaped pieces.

12) Cleaning up requires some attention. Everything detaches and rinses easily but the blades are exposed and possibly dangerous. For this reason, the manufacturer recommends that the "Plain Insert" be placed into the "Safety" position prior to washing the device. I found that I needed to rinse the blades prior to inserting the "Pain Insert" back into mandoline or I couldn't get the blades clean enough. The manufacturer also recommends rinsing the two additional inserts and letting them air dry in their holder which is snapped to the back of the mandoline. This makes very good sense.

13) This mandoline is not dishwasher safe.

I'm quite happy with this purchase.
on July 14, 2010
This slicer has been excellent in speeding up prep work. Ive used it to slice jicama, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and strawberries. I use it to dice onions very quickly and consistently. The blades are very sharp, but thats kinda the point of a blade.

You definitely need to take care when using it, it will cut you if you disrespect it. If you are trying to slice something large and hard like a large potato or jicama, it has a tendency to jam which is a big problem. Reducing the size of the piece being sliced resolved this for me in every case, though it does mean no 6 inch fries will be coming out of it.

I do wish that it had a larger cubing blade and a larger fry blade. The strips are pretty much limited to small shoestring size. It will however slice from about 7/16 to wafer thin.

. . .

It has now been two years and I still use this slicer regularly. I have purchased two others in that same period largely to deal with the shortcomings I mentioned above, but none have done better and ultimately I return to using this slicer. It still cannot do potatoes for fries well and the largest strips are just two thin for fries or vegetable sticks, but it does so very well slicing anything not quite as hard as a potato and will even slice potatoes for au gratin or such, just not quite fries. I wont slice tomatoes, onions, or strawberries without it the results are just too good.

Oct 2013

Another year and it is still serving me well. The blades are not as sharp as the used to be, but still much more than adequate, it still slices everything very well. I have been dieting and eating a lot more vegetables lately. The slicer has been very useful in that regard. I love match-sticking carrots for my salad, so much better than the grocery match sticks, no dry white edges. The other slicers have dulled to the point they are useless, the V Slicer just continues to work. I will replace it with another when it fails or becomes too dull.
1919 comments| 282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2016
I found putting the attachments in to be more difficult than videos on youtube made it seem. I'm not use to using a mandoline so i feel awkward having to hold it up and i'm still unsure of how much force to apply when going up and down, so i got stuck on the blade a couple of times cutting the onion in the photos. If you haven't used a mandoline before i would suggest getting one that props itself up without needing to be held and comes with knobs to do all the slice/dice/julienne sizes. I'm probably going to have to use it more to like it but as of this review i don't think i like mandolines as much as i thought i would, they seem to be more of a hassle than just a knife
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 23, 2016
My first Swissmar Borner mandolin was purchased 20 years ago. As a former chef, I had purchased mandolins for over $200 and returned them because they were a disappointment. When I received my first Swissmar mandolin I was disappointed and thought it was a cheap piece of crap...until I tried it and realized that they put all the money in the blades. You can slice a ripe tomato in slices so thin you can see through it...great for pizza! I kept that unit for 15 years and threw it out figuring the company had updated the unit and made the body as awesome as the blade. It cut as well after 15 years as the day I bought it...then I found there had been no change and bought another of the same unit 5 years ago. I have that unit to this day but when I saw they FINALLY updated the body I jumped at it.
First of all I LOVE the new safety feature that protects the blade flat...I now have a grandson and always worry he will find it in a drawer and cut himself...and those blades are sharp. Unlike the old unit where you flipped the plate over for thick or thin, you have several options for thickness. The grip feet at the base are nice and the holder for the other two blades is an improvement. Although it's still plastic, it doesn't look as cheap as the older model and the plastic is better quality.
The blades are the gem here and it remains the same. You can still slice that tomato paper thin or nice and thick or in between. I paid a fortune for my food processor but this is what I break out 90% of the time.
When my daughter found out I bought this unit she begged me for my old one...I ordered her one of these instead.
Now if they would only make this in stainless steel I would pay the high price tag...maybe someday.
In the meantime enjoy a really well made mandolin for a bargain price...and please don't ignore the safety holder...20 years ago I thought I could do without it until it took a good chunk of my knuckle...now I might start slicing a carrot or cucumber without it but once I get halfway I put the guard on...these blades are REALLY sharp. I have always put it in the dishwasher and never had a problems with warping, rusting or dulling.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 15, 2015
THIS APPLIANCE IS SO AMAZING!!! Worked fabulously on the first try, and every time after. The blades really are great quality, and the little details of the set are wonderful: red color so I won't see carrot or beet stains, safety setting to safely stow, wash, and dry, easy to hold handle that doubles as a hanging loop. I am so delighted with this mandolin and have sliced onions, minced shallots, chopped carrots into ovals, and can't wait to use again. This is easier and more efficient than the Benriner that I tried, and much much better than the high maintenance OXO mandolin I used to have. I love it! Make sure to watch videos online to make sure you use it optimally.
on August 9, 2015
Amazing tool for this newbie chef. I purchased this based on a product review on America's Test Kitchen which rated it highly on performance and safety. Apparently, safety is extremely important with all mandolines since it is so so very easy to slice of a portion of your hand along with the food. ATK rated the Swissmar highly in part because you can change the blades with touching any sharp parts and that you can store it while in a safety position so that you don't accidentally cut yourself while moving it either in or out of the cupboard.

I find that there are dishes that I now cook on a regular basis which I would never have attempted before because I don't have the knife skills to attempt the recipe in one lifetime. With this mandoline, I am able to very efficiently go through a lot of veg in a small amount of time and that the veg is exactly the same thickness which makes for even cooking times and spectacular presentations. The blades are extemely sharp and will go through the veg like butter. I do find that I have to pause on a very periodic basis to remove the veg from underneath the mandoline. I really dislike placing this at an incline by leaning it against a bowl or placing it on top of the bowl. That just doesn't provide enough stability to make me comfortable because I do sometime have to use a little bit of force at the end of a long stroke when I'm slicing squash of eggplant lengthwise.

As with anything that is extremely sharp, you do have to be very careful. There is a hand guard that is provided that will hold the food as you slice it. I would highly recommend its use especially as you get closer to the end of whatever you're slicing. **** Melissa Clark from the New York Times has an excellent suggestion. Please purchase a cut resistant glove along with the mandoline **** I really really love my mandoline and with this suggestion, intend on using it even more often.
on April 14, 2016
I am so happy with this product, five stars isn't enough! I don't know how I ever prepared food without this. The blade is super sharp. With multiple thickness settings, it's easy to find just the one you need. It slices and dices quickly and uniformly. I mounted it inside my cabinet door so it is always easy to access.

The instruction manual could have been a little more helpful. Actually, it was very little help at all. Unless you want to practice the names of different parts in 30 different languages.....
It's also a little difficult to clean. Stuff seems to rinse off easily, but without getting your fingers closer to the blades than I am comfortable with you really can't get into all the nooks and crannies.

I might add that I have a healthy respect for this tool. For me, it is right up there with the circular saw. I don't use it without a cut-safe glove, even though the food guard does a better job of holding the food than my previous mandoline (that I never used because it was so clumsy).