Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on April 25, 2014
David Rakoff sadly isn't with us anymore and what he's left behind is not only a window into his own life, but a collection of stories that everyone can relate too. This book aptly titled "Half Empty", is about pessimism and how it affects the author. Each "chapter" is a new story and each is better than the last. I believe during the time he was writing this he was also battling cancer, which amazes me because if this is supposed to be a pessimistic book, him not quitting and pushing on is a clear tale of giving it your best and this just might be his best work.
on March 30, 2011
Despite the fact that David Rakoff is a wonderful writer of darkly funny essays about a wide variety of topics;
this collection was not the best of the three published so far. The first half of the book induces feelings of
deja-vu and has a dated feel to it. How relevant is a trip to Disney to visit a house of the future? How relevant
is an essay on Jewish people who love to eat pork and shellfish? In light of current events; not very meaningful,
insightful or even interesting. The numerous asides included,though meant to engage the reader,are actually annoying.
Until the subject of his own illness is broached there is not much to recommend here. Perhaps there is truth in
advertising though because of the clever disclaimer that appears on the cartoonish cover art.
on January 13, 2017
I recently discovered Rakoff's books and articles and I can't get enough. He is fabulous, and I am terribly sad to learn he passed away much too young. Rest in peace, and thanks for such amazing contributions.
on May 19, 2017
only vaguely recall,,, I am so impressed by the ease with which David details such variant topics, each an intriguing surprise.
on August 9, 2013
I love the essays of David Rakoff, partially because having heard him numerous times on the radio, I can hear his voice when I read them, which is an added pleasure.
I like his mix of pathos and dark humor. He's a very smart writer and a shrewd observer.
I get a little sad when I think about the fact that he's gone.
But these essays are great.
on December 19, 2012
I became a fan of David Rakoff's after his death when Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air played an interview she had with him some time before his last illness. He had already been diagnosed with the Ca which would ultimately kill him. His attitude was most impressive. What a sad loss.
on September 20, 2012
This is like have a very rich dessert. Small bites;enjoy the long and descriptive sentences that create a rich visual. I am an auditory person, and I get much more when I read it as though I was listening to one of my favorite programs, "This American Life". Sarcasm, insights-----try it!!
on June 17, 2015
I read it slowly because there won't be any more delightful stories and insights from this masterful writer.
on March 2, 2016
Touching stories by the late David Rakoff.
on June 30, 2016