Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 111 reviews
on July 6, 2013
Yes is it a small keyboard, smaller than I was expecting but I don't have a problem with that. It actually feels good to me for typing and I didn't have the problem with the NumLock key others have had.

I wrote this part before I found out more about what I was doing [I bought this to use with the latest Raspberry Pi and it works well as a keyboard (most of the time). The mouse (track pad) does not lend itself to use with LXDE, it is very jumpy and acts like it's trying to avoid going where you want it. That makes any operation lengthy and a little frustrating. What I can find about that problem, so far, is that it seems to be incompatible with the Raspberry and/or its operating system. How do I resolve that with the reports of others using for just that purpose? I can't.]

Well, I can resolve it much better now. What I was seeing was the effect caused by loading down the USB. This keyboard/touch pad is not back lit and I presumed it had no unusually high current draw. I find, as I use it now through a powered USB hub that there are no undesirable characteristics. The Pi is powered by a 2.1 amp charger but, apparently, is still very sensitive to loads on the USB connectors. The keyboard works beautifully, it's small, easily portable, and very workable.
on April 24, 2013
I originally bought this for use with the Raspberry Pi, and it works very well. It is great to leave the other USB port free for other uses, and to never worry about a mouse next to the keyboard ever again, because there is a touchpad built right in to the keyboard! And it honestly gives things a portable-style feel. :)

In short, I can and do 'touch type' on both a desktop and mainly on notebook computers, but can work okay with a touch keyboard as well, and this one seems to be in between these two experiences. It is similar to using the really compact and... interesting chiclet keyboard style some netbooks used to ship with. It does take getting used to, such as accidentally pressing Del when Backspace was intended, the quotation key moved by the arrow keys, and an insert key placed awkwardly. Otherwise, with a few hours of getting used to working with it, it's acceptable to use. It just takes a little more time to get over accidents from being used to a 'real' keyboard, but it's nothing for this to lose stars over. It's to be expected in a keyboard this small!

Outside of the layout, the feel of the keyboard is rather good considering the great price this sells for, offering two great products in one minute piece! However, don't expect ThinkPad or Apple quality out of these keys... think more of a really basic keyboard that needs TLC to work well. :) The touchpad is not multi-touch, though you can do a two-finger click to right-click on it (and if I remember right, a middle-click) and it has the standard two buttons on the bottom. The pad does work well for a mouse, but movement is rigid and doesn't have much speed and flow to it, like one of the trackpads from the 90s. Overall, it's usable and again, this is no reason for it to lose a star, considering GearHead had to crunch this feature into a small package. The cable is a nice length for it's size, and while it's not the lightest object, it is not heavy either. There are three subtlely-lit green LEDs that show caps, num, and scroll lock above the touchpad on the right, and they are okay--though not bright. This can be a great thing if you don't like much light from these, but can be bad if you need to know these keys have been pressed. Finally, (and I almost did think about subtracting a star for this), there's no stands (i.e. feet) to the keyboard.

Overall, I think for the great price this is, due to the fact that it does type and work well with okay quality, and that it hooked up to Haiku, Gnu/Linux, and even Windows 8, this keyboard is not bad and earns a five-star rating in my opinion, and with a bit of TLC for it, I think it's a lovable keyboard you'll love to use in tight spaces or when you need it. :)
on January 31, 2012
They keys are small and cramped BUT it is a small keyboard so that is to be expected. However I don't like how my pinky finger is on the enter key when my hands are in the default position. But again, I'm not using this for everyday use. It is in my tool bag to be used in a pinch when I need a keyboard and a mouse, mainly in a server room. Because of it's small size it fits in my tool bag nicely without taking up much room. Keep in mind it is only 11" wide (about the length of a piece of paper.)

To accommodate all the keys, some keys are doubled up and accessed by a special function key. For example to access Home or End you have to press Fn-Left Arrow or Fn-Right Arrow, similar to some laptops. The F11 and F12 keys are also accessed by Fn-F1 and Fn-F2 for example.

The touch pad worked find and there are buttons above it for pause/play, volume up/down/mute. However since those keys don't help me much on a server, I'd have opted for the page-up/down and Home/End instead (so you didn't have to access via the function key).

Num-lock turns some of the keys into a number pad, similar to some laptops.

Again, for my needs as a tool kit keyboard and mouse it was exactly what I needed. I would not want to use this for every-day use.
on January 14, 2011
For a media computer, I wanted full keyboard and mouse functionality in the smallest space possible. That is exactly what this product delivers. This thing is TINY, so tiny you can easily tuck it behind the monitor when you aren't using it. It's tiny size also makes it awkward to type on. Keep this in mind if you are thinking of buying it.

This is NOT a good keyboard if you want to write a book or play a game. For that, you want something a lot bigger.

It IS a good keyboard if need a super-small controller for a computer that is mostly used for viewing media. For that, it is perfect.

Note: This is a Windows keyboard, but it works just fine on my Mac. It only takes a second to figure out which Windows keys correspond to which Mac keys.
on February 9, 2016
small, plug and play, I use it sometimes with PC sometimes with tablet ..the touch mouse pad working as expected if working too fast or too slow you can adjust it under system settings . for the price it is worthy purchase , well done and also working full under BIOS as I used it, my PC have only touch keyboard on screen so it is handy if I have to edit BIOS settings .Did not tried with TV
on February 12, 2014
They keyboard itself isn't too bad, apart from missing a shift key on the right-side which is extremely annoying, and the small tab-key that's hard to hit. It does work on the Raspberry Pi. My problem with it is the TouchPad is useless or at least mine didn't work. It worked fine for horizontal side-to-side movement, but was next to impossible to get it to track up-and-down. For some reason, it had maybe 10 pixels of movement in the vertical axis, which made it useless to replace the mouse in the X-server of the Raspberry Pi. And no changes I made to settings had any affect on it -- seemed to be something in the keyboard itself.

I was hoping that it would work and replace both keyboard and mouse, but with the touch pad not working, the smaller size of the keyboard (particularly that missing shift key and tiny tab key) is annoying. They should have ditched the touch pad and made the keyboard bigger. That's what I ended up replacing it with -- a slightly bigger (though still mini) keyboard that has no touch pad...
on May 28, 2016
I originally purchased this item almost 4 years ago (sorry for the tardy review). I used the Smart Touch for several years for my job and it was a real life saver. I work on ATM kiosks and it was a relief to have a mouse pad integrated into the keyboard which saved my brain from remembering the windows shortcut keys. After retiring the keyboard from work, I used it to connect to Raspberry Pi for the exact same reasons above. Plus the raspberry pi is limited on USB connections so this let me with a free port for wifi. Currently it's whereabouts are unknown and I believe that a coworker "borrowed" it and hopefully is still in action somewhere. Overall, compact and functional!
on October 8, 2013
Want a small keyboard with a mouse pad for your Pi? Look no further.
Simple plug & play, mouse pad is adequately sensitive. Buttons are miniscule, and suck if you have even slightly stubby fingers, but it's a small keyboard, so what would you expect. There is only one shift key (on the left), so trying to touch type can easily become a mess up gibberish. Keyboard feels like it's actually decently built. It even has a decent weight & feel that makes me hope it'll last a while.
-Bonus feature: play/pause + volume controls work on RPi without any mapping required.

-update, 2 days later...
still *mostly* happy with this keyboard. Have noticed that it is moody & temperamental at times. Not sure what the glitch is yet, but for some reason it occasionally refuses to enter the (@) symbol, instead replacing it with a ('). Simple to get around, but slightly annoying. When i reset my RPi, the problem generally resolves itself.
on April 28, 2014
I purchased one of these and then because it worked so well, purchased two more.

I own a restaurant which has three point-of-sale workstations. I recently replaced the workstations with docked tablet PCs. When doing so, my employees can use the on-screen keyboard and touch screen capability of the tablet but that's cumbersome. A full-size keyboard was just too large and didn't fit in the space on top of the register drawer. This solved the problem perfectly. The keyboard is very small but not so small as to be impossible to type on. Just the right size. Employees are used to typing on their phones these days which are ridiculously small. This seems enormous in comparison and isn't a problem.

The keyboard connected through Windows 8 automatically. The touchpad is a nice feature although not used in our case. The style and ergonomics of the keyboard are much better than some others I've seen listed on Amazon. I give this keyboard a high recommendation for a very specific application. for a docked tablet which doesn't have its own keyboard, this is a perfect fit.
on June 25, 2014
EDIT: The problems below got worse and worse, to the point where I was plugging in keyboards into the USB ports on the front of the servers. And then I found out that the USB KVM I was using was dying. Just replaced it, and the keyboard works perfectly without issue now on all 4 systems. So, 4 stars - the touchpad isn't the greatest, but it gets the job done in a confined space.

Unlike others who wanted to use this on a media center, I needed a small keyboard with an integrated trackpad to hook up to a 4 port USB KVM - which is, in turn, connected to 4 servers. Since they're servers, there's very little cause or call to ever even have to use a keyboard, but I wanted something small that would fit on the rack where the servers are located.

I've had cause to use this keyboard on about a dozen occasions - hardly what you would call strenuous use - and it's constantly got stuck keys or other keyboard errors. Very disappointing.