Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 13, 2017
I really enjoyed reading this book because of the way the author used the language to describe the setting, motives, emotions & action. It felt like reading poetry that flowed through a life's narrative. The story itself was intriguing, as were the characters. They were complex, lovable, despicable, compassionate & selfish all at once. Be warned that sex does play a significant role in the book but is handled tastefully, portraying the driving desire & need without becoming graphic. I had mixed feelings about this component of the book, but in retrospect, the story falls apart without it. Overall the whole book was very well done.
on May 27, 2017
The Reliable Wife was one of the most complex and interesting novels that I had read (I read it a few years ago and bought these two copies for friends). It was so refreshing and such an interesting plot line. I was mesmerized by it. I loved this novel. Frankly it should be made into a movie.
on May 30, 2017
I read this book in two days. Some might find the pace dull but I enjoyed the character development. Perhaps there was a little too much time devoted to the protagonists sexual desires, but overall a great read.
on July 1, 2017
The characters are wonderfully flawed, more like the real people we are, full of mistakes, and unbearable secrets that we keep inside ourselves hoping no one can truly see the people we are, imperfect, human
on May 5, 2015
This book is full of excitement and interesting characters. It has unhappiness and happiness both occurring throughout this book. It definitely holds your interest every step of the way. It is so well written. It proves that people who have done things in their past life can turn things around and make it better.
on October 31, 2016
More than a few plot twists make this unpredictable and a different book from what I usually read. A woman answers an ad to become wife of a man she has never met. But he has past secrets that have all but broken him. And she has an agenda of her own. How it plays out makes for a good read!
on January 22, 2013
I am not surprised that ratings for this book are all across the board. Its fascinating characters, extremes of emotion, and sudden changes of sentiment (in politicians it would be called "flip-flopping") are at times irritating, but are always believable.

That is, of course, the basis for people's varying ratings. If the characters are believable, the book will be a joy to read. I have a friend who is doing intensive genealogical research, and one of the early 20th century women he is researching lived what people used to refer to as a "colourful life". Moved around from one caregiver to another, she took advantage of her good looks to be an artist's model, and then a showgirl, and sadly died a young death, the details of which are still shrouded in mystery. This is the stuff of which challenging genealogical research is made. But having kept in touch with my friend\'s searches, I did not find the characters in "A Reliable Wife" to be too far-fetched.

That having been said, it is not easy to know whether the book will be to your taste. But you will know within the first 50 pages or so. If you liked "Heading Out To Wonderful", then you liked Goolrick's writing style and you would be well served to try "A Reliable Wife".
on August 20, 2014
Great elaboration of key ideas of Freud in a Gothic style that suits the subject. I loved the intensity of the book. If you are afraid of or dislike intensity then avoid this book. I also like the way the book illustrates how difficult it is to grasp facts that don't fit the story of how we understand our own life and how we try to protect the people we love from those truths. If a good book is a book that leads you to another book, than this book is a great book by that criteria. I read Wisconsin Death March and I was taken by that book too. I'd highly recommend this book.
on January 10, 2015
The author was here in The Bahamas a few months ago and read from his soon to be released new novel. And it was that reading that led me to this his first novel. For me it is the good story written by a talented writer that makes a book great. A Reliable Wife explores the scars, the losses as well as the beauty and triumph of the human spirit. The characters' lives are so well defined and infused with such realism: no one is all good or all bad and that is how it should be because that is how it is. We are allowed to root for the characters as well as to empathize with them in their sorrows. I loved the book and look forward to others by Robert Goolrick.
on December 26, 2016
This book sounded very interesting. I had a hard time getting in to it and then with the snotty main character and the predictable turn of events, the story was a let down. I am a person who likes to finish a decent story but I struggled to finish this one.