BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 7, 2011
** UPDATE on February 24th, 2012: I can confirm that the MAC OS X driver is finally available for download at Yamaha's website under PSR-E 423. I've added a link in the discussions section of this review for anyone interested. I am also giving the PSR-E 423 4 stars now instead of my previous 3.75 for the convenience of Yamaha's newly added MAC OS X driver.

It's OK. Yes it has lots of features but I had hoped for better sound. I like that you can turn off the touch sensitive feature which makes the volume of keys pushed louder. You can turn the TS feature on and off according to your needs. One may be able to hook up the keyboard to amplifiers but I haven't tried since I bought this mainly for home use. Overall it's a fun beginner keyboard. The AC adapter which must be purchased separately is a bit short so take that into consideration when deciding where to place the keyboard. I personally think It's a bit overpriced for what you get despite all the features. I would sacrifice some of the extras to get better sound. For example, I don't need the phone ringing sound or footsteps or Jet engine sounds.

A warning to all people buying this to use with a Mac computer: THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED ONLY WORKS WITH WINDOWS. THE DRIVERS YOU CAN INSTALL FROM THEIR WEBSITE IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS. SO FAR I HAVE FOUND NO WAY OF USING THE KEYBOARD WITH MY MACBOOK. I was aware of this before I purchased it and am not complaining about it because I have a windows based machine to use it with. Just thought other people might like to know that for now (maybe in the future yamaha will provide drivers for use with MAC) it is not Mac compatible.

I fell in love with the Keyboard before I purchased it, I was a little disappointed after I got it and heard all the sounds. Still It is a decent keyboard, just not quite what I was hoping for, and I spent months researching before picking this one out.

This is a great keyboard for beginners, not so much for intermediate players even though it's advertised as being geared towards both.
3.75 stars from me
*UPDATE on Feb. 24th, 2012: Now 4 stars for the convenience of Yamaha's newly added MAC OS X driver.
77 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
I bought this YAHMAHA PSR E-423 unit just to have a nice more mobile unit as a starter since it has been at least 30 yrs. since I had a nice MICRO V Korg Synthesizer back in 79' and have not played in at least 28 years. Although I did and still do want to get another Synthesizer, I bought this due to it's piano like and keybooard features and many sounds as I like to be able to play chords as well as opposed to single notes synthesized from that 1978 Korg Relic which was excelent and high end for it's time, but, I was not able to play chords back then with that older and still improving technology of back in the early rock days with Moog's great discoveries.

I still have a lot to learn from the menus and need to dig into the owner's manual and get more acquainted with my new YAMAHA keyboard. I bought all the needed accessories; metal sustain foot pedal, AC Power. a Nice YAMAHA clothe elastic cover, and the Yamaha Bench as well as the rigid 3-point connect stand which is safer and more sturdy than the X Stands.

I will be glad when I know all the ins and outs and hid surprises on this unit as I will be glad to play my favorite genres of music as well as be able to know what I want when I wish to utilize it. Fot the price I think it is excellent and much better than the cheap Casio I had that was suited for a Jr./High student. A Keyboard like this as it is would have easily cost $800.00 - $1000.00 back in 1980.

So far I like the sounds I have dabbled around with and the accompanied play I have tried. I hope to find the separate volume controls so that my own play doesn't get drowned out by the programmed features.
on September 24, 2010
I bought this item as a reserve for concert and home use. I already have and use Yamaha MM-6, Roland A-70 (Midi Keyboard), Kurzweil SP2XS and I can compare this item to others. My previous synth (for home use) was Casio CTK-691 and it was cheap. It was so cheap, I can't use it's output connector because of the noise.

So, Yamaha PSR-E423 have a pretty tight company. It provide a solid sound with a vary little noise level (but still more than the competitors). The sounds are... not so good as in MM-6 or Kurzweil, but it's much better than in Casio -- this must be the best sounds for the price, but still have a reserve of improvements. I think, yamaha can safely delete 400 of 500 sound and use the free memory to improve quality of the remaining 100. For example, Acoustic Grand Piano (Yamaha pride) have a metallic sound for the notes upper than F2).

The keyboard and a functional elements are quite good -- the keyboard looks and acts like in MM-6, two knobs are the same as in MM-6 and also can be used as a resonance filter, or to adjust the synth parameters. That's interesting, but I can't find a puporse for it. I never ever use sequencer or lessons -- don't ask about them. Harmony, arpeggio are working as expected, styles are not as expressive, as in MM-6, primarily because of too few variants. Again, this is not the point I use it for. The keyboard is easier to use, than a MM-6 or Kurzweil -- because of a big screen with an options shown on it and a digital pad that doesn't exist on MM-6 (except transpose and split point functions -- they are deep in menu). Comparing to Casio, it is also easier -- because some of the features are accessible with a special buttons, without scrolling the menu.

The keyboard have an USB connectivity and provide a standard midi-over-usb interface, so I don't need any drivers. Be warned, that the keyboard does not have any MIDI ports!

Overall score is: the best sounds for the price with a full set of features. Pro: touch-sensitive keyboard, pitch bend, kontrol knobs, arpeggio, harmony, tap tempo, USB-to-computer, clean output, 6-channel sequencer. Contra: sounds can be better, transpose functions are hidden in "functions" menu, no MIDI connection, accessories are sold separately.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
I have been using this keyboard for the Past two years and its performance has more than met my needs. Bought this piano as a beginner piano for my child and it has served its purpose with out any issues. It is fun playing this keyboard and has ample amount of styles and voices to keep any musician entertained and keep people entertained.The Live controls help the sounds to be modified to an extent. Comparable models from other companies do not come any were close to these features.

Over all for the price it is the best you can buy.
on January 17, 2012
Awesome sound and features in this keyboard. Tons of different instrument sounds, arpeggios, accompaniments and more. There is a great display that shows you chords and notes as you play them. Chord dictionary, metronome etc. I use the USB to get MIDI into my Mac for recording. Also taking audio out in for audio tracks. Very good product. Way to go Yamaha.
on May 22, 2014
I like this bord, it has a lots of good things going for it, I have the psr500, and they both meets my needs,it very hard to find keybords at such low price that do what they both do,i would recordmend them to any one who is a pro, musician
on August 19, 2012
This is my first keyboard. I am learning with this for last 6 months and I really liked the sound and the features. The piano and the string voices are really good. I will definitely recommend this to anybody who want to learn playing keyboard. I am very satisfied with the product.
on November 29, 2011
I inquired local stores and found that price is affordable and fair on Amazon. Excellent product and package received in very good condition. I bought it actually for my 8 Yr old son, he really loves it.
on October 26, 2012
While I haven't yet learned how to use all of the many features, I am very happy with keyboard. Touch sensitive. I really like it. I'm sure I will have it for many years to come.
on August 11, 2012
excellent tool, ideal for musicians who need to practice at home, to take them to weddings and family gatherings, great sounds .. I loved

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question