Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 11, 2017
I love the LeapFrog TAG Reading System. I purchased two of these pens, a purple one for my daughter and a green one for my son. You can purchase a lot of extra book packages to use this pen so it's not just a couple books and then the pen sits pointlessly. Both of my kids love using this pen and love being able to learn to read "by themselves". It helps them comprehend the sounds that certain letters make and combine them into one word. It helps them learn their letters in a fun way. The pens are made very well and are durable. The pen reader holds up to 10 books at a time and is very easy to use. It's easy for them to hold and touch the words. These are great for children from the age of 3 to 6. The manufacturer says ages 4 to 8, but 7 and 8 is pushing it as they already know how to read. The reader takes 2 AAA batteries. If your child really likes this system, plan on spending at least $100 for extra book sets. I would recommend this system since my kids enjoyed it, it's great for car rides and keeps the child engaged.
3 helpful votes
on August 9, 2013
I got this for our 4 year old who we're trying to teach how to read. He absolutely loves it! We originally had the LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Book Pal - Scout, and it broke after about a year of use.

All the tag books have very fun and engaging games that gets them interested and excited. Each page you can have the tag read the whole book to you or you can read along word by word, which is the mode we usually use it in. The games it has help learn matching, rhymes, visual recognition. We've been using this for about 6 months now, and he can read many <4 letter words, by recognition and sounding out. He can also spell/write them just the same.

I truly believe this has been a very important part in my son learning to read, and it's also one of his favorite toys (because of the great books and activities they have).

I don't really care for the prizes and online/pc interaction it requires. We usually/currently skip over that part most of the time. However just to note, their software and hardware works well in a Windows VM in VMWare (we use Linux primarily).
2 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 11, 2017
on January 9, 2012
With all of the "educational" games and toys out there, I was a bit skeptical of just how useful this would be but after using it several times with my pre-k and now kindergarten aged daughter, I saw there was real benefit to this product.

Tag provides many different activities each book, including reading the story to the child, helping them sound out or say words they are having trouble with, and providing games that promote problem solving and reading comprehension. Touching the pictures in each book really does make the book come to life. I am amazed that by simply downloading an audio file, this product knows exactly what page in any book you are touching. You can also choose to use Leapfrog Connect to keep track of your child's progress.

With 32MB of storage for audio downloads, you can store 6-7 full size (hardcover) books or almost double that in the learn to read (paperback) books. You can log in to the leapfrog connect application at anytime to download new audio files and swap the files that are saved on the tag as needed.

This purchase is actually a second Tag for my pre-school age daughter who is mimicking her big sister and is beginning to show interest in reading already. After using this product for some time, I can see why it is recommended by teachers. If you sit and use this product with your child, it really is a great educational product and it can give them additional support and confidence to begin grasping reading concepts and skills more independently as well.
on January 2, 2011
We bought this as a Christmas gift for our 4 year-old who loves books and is learning to read. We also wanted something that was portable and would hopefully keep him occupied during the long car-trips we take to visit family. After reading reviews detailing the work it would take to make the pen ready, we decided to get it all set up before we wrapped it so he could use it straight out of the box. It only took a few minutes to do the setup and it was really simple (so says my husband who is relatively tech-savvy).

My son loved it from the moment he unwrapped it. We didn't even buy an extra book - he's only used the sample one that is included in the intro set. We showed him the button to turn it on and what happens when you slide the pen over the pages and that was it. He caught on quick and was entertained by it for a whole 2 hours during the car trip to the grandparents' house (have I mentioned there is very little that holds my son's attention for ANY length of time?). He used it for about an hour or so everyday for the week we were away and for another 2ish hours on the car trip home.

We put batteries in the pen before we wrapped it up and after all this use it is still going strong, so the pen doesn't seem to hog battery life which is more than I can say for most of his Christmas presents!

As for the content of the sample book, our 4 year old seems less interested in "reading" the stories and more interested in the games and discovering funny quips. I wish the sample book had included a more interesting story to draw readers' attention, but I'm sure I'll find something my kiddo will like - there seem to be lots to choose from.

This is a great combination of electronics and reading - If your kids are anything like mine, while they may love reading or looking at books, they REALLY love toys they can interact with... like this!

I'll have to update on the durability - my son's rough on everything, so we'll see how long it lasts.
on May 2, 2013
We got this device to allow our boys to read books to themselves while driving in the car or flying and we aren't able to read to them for whatever the reason. The device is great at what it was designed for. A tap on the page provides a myriad of responses, from reading the page, to helping a child with a word pronunciation, to playing an in-game book.

Plugging the pen into your computer provides the parental setup/interface needed to make the device work. Our kids like to use it sometimes at home. We loaded it up with all the books we own and they enjoy sitting down on the couch at times and tapping through a book or pressing the auto play button to simply sit and listen to a loaded story.

If you have Pre-K, K, or 1st Graders that are learning to read, then buy this device for travel or those times when you're busy in the home making dinner or doing laundry or the like and they're playing by themself.
on May 24, 2013
The Tag wand system is incredible and opens a world of independent exploration for my young boys. I got one of these wands for each of them a couple of years ago, and they have spent hours enjoying them. When at the thrift shop, I always look for the green-spines Tag books to pick up. You download the wand's content from the Web, so a used book will work fine. My only two complaints would be (1) the wand's memory fills up after about five or so books, so after that, you have to remove content from one item before you can add another. Then your child will be disappointed that the wand no longer works with a book that had worked before. That book can always be re-added, but then another will need to be removed. I wish Leap Frog offered a wand with much more memory so I'd never have to remove anything. Complaint 2 is that downloading is a huge pain. It always wants me to install the Leap Frog program to make the download, even though I already have that program, then I go around and around trying to get it to work. Somehow it usually finally works, but I'm not sure why. I'd still recommend the product, though.
on December 28, 2010
I bought my son this when he was just turning 5. He had little interest. He played with it some, but it does involve parental help with early readers - you have to help them learn how to pace the pen over the words, or they sound clipped and it's hard to understand the sentences. It frustrated him back then.
However, he is a non-napper at school and we asked his teacher if he could use this on his cot - he brought in headphones and a bag of books. He loved it! As did his friends - at one point, all the non-nappers were playing the games in the books with him. His first Tag broke, so I replaced it. His little sister (almost age 3) was interested so I bought her one, and the baby (age 18mos) was interested in that so now she has her own Tag Junior. I have several times found all three quietly "playing" with books - anything that gets them that engrossed in books is a winner, in my opinion! They also like them for car trips.
In addition to the stories there are games in the books, which earn them rewards on the Leap site (usually little printouts like coloring sheets and mazes) and you can see how they are performing on their "learning path" - how they are answering questions, what they are learning, etc. Also, if they place the pens on the illustrations, usually there will be little extras like a character saying something.
The books are expensive, about $12/ea. But, if you find a good sale they aren't bad (get on Leap Frog's list, they will email you - I got an email before Christmas that a store was doing 2-for-1 on the books, so I stocked up). You can also add them to multiple readers, if your kids want to share. In the past year the Tag library has expanded a lot, and now there are also "game books" (little puzzles, etc) and very cool maps. In another I-can't-believe-this moment, I found my older two "playing" with maps - how cool is that? LOVE this toy.
on December 14, 2011
I know a lot of people swear by these so I decided to get one for my daughter who was struggling with reading. First of all, if you don't want to deal with maintenance, this is not for you. Having to hook it up to the pc to load new books can be tedious when the kid wants a new book because mom has to stop whatever she's doing and do it right then.

Also, I found that my daughter just ended up "reading" by touching every single word before she even attempted to sound it out because she knew she could. So we went from that to now, the books are all too easy for her and she doesn't need the pen at all. Maybe if we'd had it earlier it would've been better.

I still say you can't substitute the Tag reader for a parent sitting down and reading with the child. The phonics sets are great easy reader books though. I'm not sure if they make just plain book versions of them but if they do, I'd recommend them for beginning readers.
3 helpful votes
on October 17, 2013
We log the original leap frog TAG. We got it for my daughter when she was 2.5yrs and it's been an immense influence in her love for books and reading.

The downfall is the amount of memory on the pen - it will only hold 6-8 books (depending on the book size). I was annoyed that I would have to plug the pen into my computer to switch her books when she wanted to read one that wasn't on the pen, so finally we bought a second pen to fit all her books. I like the original because it only has a few buttons - simple to use. This pen is chubbier but lighter than the new TAG.

We also have the new LeapFrog Tag reader - the new pen has more memory, more buttons, music options, and is heavier/longer than the original pen. More complex for a child than the original.
5 helpful votes