Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 159 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 195 reviews
on October 2, 2010
Well about two weeks ago i purchased this camera... it was much much better than my Wildgame innovations s2, until it went insane:
I came out to check the pictures and it had 15 (3burst shots, brought the SD card up to the house and had lots of nice night photos on it... brought the sd back to the camera. loaded it and went to arm the camera and it starts taking pics w/o counting down like its supposed to, so i went into it and tried fixing settings but it takes pics about every 5 seconds so you cant get anywhere... it now just freezes the screen and takes pics... i even turned it upside down on the floor and you can hear the faint click it makes about every 5 seconds... anyways working on that with Primos ATM, hopefully i just got a dud. so your wondering why i gave this a 5 star review at this point, well here's why:
Pros:
-Takes awesome night pictures!
-Trigger time is very fast... birds can't even escape it's grasp
-it is very simple to use/set up and has lots of wonderful options like shot bursts and adjustments to how many LED's you use
-Battery life is awesome, 2 weeks in the woods and its at 96%
-Day pics are even better than the night pics
-Camo- nice when all the black ones tend to draw thieving paws' attention
-Pre molded hole (i'd recommend masterlock's python)
-i also like that it counts down from 30 til' it arms so you have some time to figure out if its where you want it ( my WGI just kind of goes into sleep mode so you shut the door and run i guess)

Cons (other than the obvious):
-There is a click when the shutter opens... deer seem to only notice it if they are within 5 ft.
-The mounting strap idea is absolutely terrible! i wish they'd tossed a couple holes in it for bungie straps like the WGI has
-I dont know if it effects anything, but i did notice after rainfall the bottom lip of the camera tends to have water drops there that gather... wasnt an issue for me at least.

Overall- great camera wish they'd put a bit more thought into the mounting of it because im not buying their bracket for [...] bucks, hopefully that will come on the next model, and if they make the shutter silent it will be the perfect cam for the money! i'd Recommend this to anyone... really the click isnt that bad and ive only had 1 3-burst shot where a deer looks up from 1st shot and runs in second shot (although the deer was probably 2 ft from camera). looking forward to the one Primos sends me for the one that broke. Don't be put off by the click... Get this camera-its the only one you'll ever buy!

-Edit, Got my new one and it's working brilliantly, 2 nights resulted in 81 pics, very nice night pics and caught a squirrel on the move during the day, quick shutter speed :)
-Edit: After 2 straight weeks in the rain there's no water on the lower lip of the new camera, wondering if thats why the other one broke, either way, its still working great :)
review image review image
33 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
This camera has worked well for me. With rechargeable batteries, I've taken 429 photos in a week and still had 50% of the battery life left. As for the external power port, I tried it, but the battery didn't last as long as the internal rechargeables did! If someone has a solar panel the external power might be a good option.

The camera is sometimes slow switching between day and night photos. At dusk the photos are sometimes too dark and at dawn they may be white(I have another brand that does the same thing). However the trigger speed is very fast capturing animal movement easily.

One thing I don't like is the limited delay choices for taking photos. There is only a 1 minute delay and 30 minute delay option between shots, none in between. Other cameras I have offer a 5 and 10 minute delay.

Overall, this is a good camera. I've used it now for 8 weeks and captured some great buck photos!! I would definitely recommend it to a friend!!

Dan R.
review image review image
on August 27, 2011
Despite some pretty negative comments, I went ahead and got one of these cameras.

Bluntly, this is an incredible game cam, especially for the money. Don't read into that as though the camera is missing or lacking anything (I wish the video had sound), but I've had tremendous success in capturing moose for our upcoming hunt.. day, night or in between.. all the photos came out great (I'm uploading some to customer images).

Setup was a cinch.. put in some batteries and a SD card and strap it to a tree. I adjusted the settings to maximum sensitivity and 9 shot burst, so yeah, I have a lot of pictures of swaying bushes, but after a month and a half and ~4,000 pictures, the el-cheapo Rayovac batteries in it are still showing 70%.

If you're on the fence, buy this camera. My uncle is going to get rid of his fancy-schmancy $350 camera and buy a couple of these ones, since they simply out-perform his, hands-down.
review image review image review image
on December 24, 2012
very unhappy with this camera. at first I had it on video's seemed to work great for a month & a half, when I went out to check it I had to switch it to pictures because it used the battery up in 15 day with only around 200 pictures while on low setting, well I go back three weeks later pic's came out okay but was not pleased with the slowness of the camera taking the pics as if the animals could hear it compared to the video which seemed to work quieter so I switch it back to videos went back a week later and it said I had 51 pictures but when I load the card it said the videos could not play and yes it was tested in other units and the card still works fine. Now I loaded a new card and battery and when I went to turn it on again to do pictures it pop and started smoking and now it won't work. So now I have a $100 paper weight which I only got three month use out of..I would have to say to anyone wanting a good camera DON"T BUY THIS ONE & BE AWARE OF PRIMOS BRAND..I am going to see what AMAZON & the company will do but do not put much hope in that as I am already looking for a new camera since it is sill the middle of hunting season...
on November 25, 2011
After searching many game cam listings and reviews, I purchased this unit to capture wildlife activity around my home. I had nothing but troubles with this unit from the beginning, and I'm very sorry I didn't return it. For starters, the unit doesn't always trigger reliably when it should. Sometimes, in broad daylight at close range, the unit would not always trip (maybe 30% of the time). Night triggering is almost non-existent, although the few times it did snap the night photos were actually pretty decent.

Here's the really bad part - I don't know what the trouble is with the snap timing on this camera, but even though there would be many pictures on the card, none, I mean none in 11 months had even ONE thing of interest in them, except for me pulling the card out or putting it back in. That's with obvious deer signs (droppings and tracks) within just a few feet of the camera. I can only assume that the deer triggered the camera, but were out of the field of view before the snap occurred - very disappointing.

Finally, the unit eventually quit turning on - not even with new batteries. I found if I brought it indoors to "warm up" it would start functioning again, and then cease to work after a day or two. What good is a trail cam that is that sensitive to temperature and moisture? I mean it's supposed to be used OUTDOORS. In the end, nothing would resuscitate the unit, and it wound up in the trash - replaced with a Moutrie unit that thus far, is far superior. I couldn't even return the unit to Primos, because even though I'd gone through their online registration when first purchased, they had no record of it.

I can't discourage you enough from considering this cam.
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2011
Update: September 2013. The camera is 2 years old. See below for the original review and my update in October of 2012 (when the camera was one year old).

The camera no longer takes "color" pictures or video in daylight. Every shot is in shades of red, not quite sepia, but red and white. Night picts and video are still good in b&w.

Also, the "delay" from triggering to starting video seems to have gotten longer. Even the videos of squirrels show that the little buggers are well within frame before the camera starts working.

The camera remains an enigma when turning off or just stopping the sensor. I haven't had to remove the batteries to turn it off lately, but it often requires several different attempts to turn off, all with different amounts of pressure. Sometimes you have to use a very soft press on the buttons, sometimes you have to apply more than firm pressure.

I bought mine two years ago for one hundred and four bucks. Now it's one thirty plus.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM Oct 2011;

Pro: Excellent interface / easy menu
Takes Great picts in daylight and at night.
Good (maybe too good) sensitivity
Night shots do not seem to scare away the wildlife
Can take a boatload of picts on hi (5MB) resolution with a 2GB card
3 shot bursts get better counts of wildlife
Simple set up video on their website (I watched it before I ever received the camera from amazon)

Con: Pictures at dusk and dawn are too dark. Seems to not use IR and tries to take a "daylight" picture without the necessary ambient light.
Even medium sensitivity will trigger the camera with leaves blowing.
Despite the "good ol' boy" image on the website, the product is made in china. (I know, so is everything else)

I'll try to post some pictures on the item description. So far we've seen the local skunk (who was tearing up my backyard looking for grubs), two, then three raccoons, and two foxes.

The picts of the raccoons chasing each other were great to show our toddlers.

I've triggered it myself to hear and see what happens, and it makes almost no noise, and little visible flash. It certainly doesn't scare away the critters.

If only it would attract those big bucks????

UPDATE Oct 2012:
Down to 4 stars:
I started using 60 seconds of low resolution video to capture the best images of whatever was "out there". When I leave the camera on, and just leave it alone for a week or more, it seems okay. But with the start of hunting season I began moving it around and checking it every few days. Some days, after transporting it "off", it did not want to turn on again. I'd take out the batteries, wait a few minutes and try again. Usually with success. Once, the camera went into 5-picture burst mode when I turned it on, and it would NOT stop. It sucked a set of brand new batteries down to 40% just trying to get it to go to the menu screen. Again, I removed the batteries, and after waiting 5 or more minutes, I was able to start it up and reprogram it.

Even going to swap SD cards has become a hassle. Some days it won't power OFF. You can remove the SD card with the camera on (but not running), but sometimes the screen immediately tells you "SD FULL", even if the card is empty. Sometimes this can't even be fixed by "FORMATTING" the SD card (Again!). I have to turn it off to get it to recognize the swapped SD card. And some days it won't turn off. I remove a battery, and experience has taught me to be patient, as I must wait about three minutes until I can put the battery back in and power on the camera.

It does conserve battery power when it's not going berserk. Weather and temperature have no effect on this inability to power it on or off as appropriate. Still a good camera, but be prepared for some oddities when turning it on or off.

Another day, I'd moved it to the bottom of a draw where there was a multitude of deer tracks. After a few days, I checked the camera, the SD card showed12 videos recorded, so I went to swap the SD card to take the video home to check it. The camera wouldn't turn off again. Had to remove the batteries, sit there and then start all over. Once I got the used SD card home, I discovered another problem: the camera was alternating between taking regular and "night" video, one right after the other. A deer had triggered the sensor and the camera took a minute of over exposed video, like it was filming at night, then it took a minute of regular video. You could see a large body moving out of the frame during the over exposed video. The last such pairs of video started recording the animals, which after a few days were used to the crazy camera. Once I took it home, removed the batteries for several minutes, then powered it back on, it returned to normal.

I did use the camera on our driveway when we went out of town.
Pros- The shutter sound isn't that obvious. Especially if there's any ambient noise.
If you have trees that can "camouflage" the camera it will probably blend in well. It takes great video and picts, even at night but:

CONS- The red lights that come on at night are a major signature give away to anyone that's observant.
The delay from "trigger" to video start may be too slow to catch a vehicle in motion, it's not the best to see what's driving up and down your driveway.
Also, on "High" sensitivity, it may pick up the movements of any tree branches, or grasses blown by the wind.

I regularly get video of squirrels running, so it is fast and has a fairly wide angle. But to catch a car on my driveway (which is rather long), it is too slow to be of any good. To catch video of anything moving around your house, four legged critters probably won't care about the red-flash. But 2 legged trespassers would probably see it.
review image review image review image review image
on October 13, 2011
I own five different trail cams and this one is the best. If you are unsure about which one to get, you won't go wrong here. An added feature is that it has the ability to put a cable lock on it.

I have a Wildview (non-IR) camera and it's terrible in comparison. It eats batteries for lunch (one week for 4 c-size). By comparison, the TC46 takes D-size batteries but they have been in for four weeks with 99% life remaining. Wonderful and cost effective.

I also have a Stealth Cam Archer's Choice 8Mp Digital Game Scouting Camera which is a huge disappointment. It fails to take any videos at night and is triggered by ANYTHING that moves, like a leaf or a blade of grass, causing the SD card to fill up with videos and no animals captured. I would NOT recommend the Stealth Cam since it really does not work.

The TC46 camera takes nice night-time videos and clear day-time photos and videos. The setup is fairly easy if you keep the manual handy. It has good security with the ability to lock the cover along with the cable lock (sold separately).

The only thing I might grade this one down for is the range. Many times the deer are 'visible' in night time videos but not at all clear since they are not real close to the camera.

All in all I am happy with and would recommend the TC46.
on November 15, 2011
Primos Truth Cam 46 Camera

Bought this came with my Amazon Prime. Great deal! Got it the next few days for free too and still cheaper deal than anywhere else. The cam takes D batteries. Used this thing in my house to catch my dogs getting into their food and the Kitty littler box, *yes they eat the poo!* Took great pictures! One week later batteries still at 99% Took it out to the woods to my spot set it up for a week. Came out to check my memory. Still 99% another week later still 99% and taking awesome pictures! Very clear. Except for when its really windy some shots came out blurry but not the camera's fault. Got a really nice night shot too of this Doe. Will try to include the it in this review. Havent had to deal with customer service yet so not sure how to rate that. Will update in a few more weeks. Good buy will buy another Primos when I am ready to setup more hunting spots.

*Update*

Had the this cam out in the field for 2 weeks straight. Took really good pictures. There was a few blury ones but it has been really really windy lately. Went and picked it up and batteries are still at 99%. So far very pleased with this game cam.

*Update* 6 JAN 11

Last weekend I went hunting. Checked my cam real quick and after bening out there for over 2 months at max settings the batteries were at a firm 60% Pretty impressive I had several pictures. Even caught a matting in the act! I wish I could post the awesome pictures this thing takes if anyone knows how to do that let me know would love to share the pics this thing takes. Very happy with this camera I will definately buy from Primos Truth cam again.
on December 3, 2012
My Primos Truth Cam 46 Camera infrared lights won't turn on anymore. The last time I went to check the SD card and then put it back in the infrared lights will no longer work. The infrared used to work with the 23 light setting on. I tried switching it to 46 to see if that would make the infrared turn back on. So far, the lights won't turn on for me anymore. I will look and see if there is a reset option and try that next. I purchased this item on September 16, 2012.

The D cell battery life shows 70% on the Truth Cam 46 screen. However, not only will the cameras' infrared not work, when I hit the run/wake button and let it count down from 30 seconds the motion sensor doesn't even trigger when I'm walking passed it over and over. I have tried adjusting the motion sensitivity to high, 46 LED infrared, and switching the camera staggering between shots to 10 seconds and 30 seconds. The D cell batteries were brand new when I installed them and the camera has hardly had any use.

What is going on??? I think this product is defective. I spent $120.70 for: Primos Truth Cam 46 Camera, Kingston 8 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card SD4/8GBET, Master Lock 8418KADCAM-TMB Python Adjustable Locking Cable, Braided Steel, Camo Colored, 6-Feet x 5/16-Inch, another $10 for a Master Lock for the Truth Cam case, and another $10 for 4 D cell batteries. I am waiting to hear back from Primos and I am deeply disappointed with their product.
on January 16, 2012
The Truth Cam 64 was easy to use, and I'm impressed with the photo quality.
Each picture displays the moon phase, temperature, date, and the time.
I'm one of those people who obsessively looks at prices and photo samples and reviews on multiple sites and all that research lead me to this camera. I am pleased with my choice.

To set it up initially you insert your own SD card, install four D-cell batteries, then use up/down arrows to set the date/time and other photo options. For example, I told it to take photos in bursts of three because I'd rather delete extra pictures than miss an opportunity, and I had it use all 46 LED's at night, because I'd rather use the batteries up than miss a shot. However, if I was going to leave the cam in the woods for months instead of a couple weeks I'd reduce the flash to conserve the batteries, and perhaps reduce the burst to one shot to save room on the SD card (if I expected several hundred triggers).

I should mention that the Amazon listing currently says that the cam, "Supports up to 8 gigabyte SD card" but the instruction manual (copyright 2011) on my Truth Cam 64 (model 63020) says that all Truth Cams now support 32 gigabyte SD cards (I bought mine on Amazon in January 2012). If you put a 32GB card in this baby you would have a hard time trying to fill it with photos. Sweet!

Using the camera is easy too. Simply strap it to a tree, turn it on, push the RUN/WAKE button, close the cover, and stay out of its way. It does a 30 second countdown before it'll start taking pictures.

My game cam has taken pictures of me and couldn't tell it was snapping pictures, however, deer seem to be looking at it when it takes a pictures of them so they know something is up. It does not frighten them off by any means. I think they just see the activity light.

Personal recommendations:
1) If you want to check the photos but continue using the cam, get a second SD card. That way you can trek out to the camera, swap SD cards, and head home for viewing.
Heck, if your camera uses and SD card you can save a few bucks by swapping it out with that card.

2) For security's sake take advantage of the molded security cable hole and buy a security cable. I got the Master Lock Python Adjustable Locking Cable on Amazon. This will let you lock it to the tree. Of course, anybody with time, tools, and determination can still steal it, but it will deter casual theft.
Without the security cable (or a security box) people can unclip the strap and carry off the camera in seconds.

3) If you fill out the registration card they give you a 180 day warranty, but if you fill out the registration online [...] they upgrade that to 1 year warranty for free. Plus, it saves you a stamp.

UPDATE: I have used the Truth Cam continually in the field now for six months. I have had to change the batteries one time, and my second set is now at 60%. Considering that it is *always* running and has taken around 4,500 pictures (some video too) I think that's pretty good.

I had mentioned that I couldn't see lights when it took pictures, but that was in bright conditions. I have approached it in the evening and I can see the red motion detector light come on and the green light as well, and when it takes a night-vision shot you can see the 46 LED's give a faint red glow.
The deer looked at the lights for the first few months, but now they seem to ignore the lights completely. If you're trying to take a picture of people I think they might notice it at night if they look directly at it.

I am very pleased with my purchase, and would still recommend the camera to anybody. The camera has taken pictures of deer, raccoons, squirrels, a couple bobcats, and a coyote. It also has pictures of dogs, cats, and family members.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.