Customer Reviews: BARSKA 140 Lumen 3W LED Zoom Flashlight
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Cycling on Amazon

on December 5, 2011
Loaded the light with fresh batteries and turned it on. At full zoom the light was a square the shape of the LED. After a minute the light had dimmed down to a slight glow. Another round of fresh batteries and a dark room, same thing, very weak. Grabbed a Streamlight 27 lumen headlamp and compared. The 27 lumen light outshines the Barska 140 lumen. Returned.
on December 2, 2011
I picked this up as a holiday lightning deal for my AR-15, and found it on arrival to be acceptable as a focusing flashlight, with a very uniform beam (which I appreciated), and am looking forward to taking it out in the field. The strobing function is a joke unless you plan on running a disco in the woods, need some special effects like an old film projector, or get on some super cop power trip. I'd be inclined to buy several more of these for around the house, but the product is overpriced when not on special, and right-priced when it is. The flashlight space is so crowded nowadays that there should be better competition.

That said, like many Chinese-made products, this one came with a part broken, which isn't a good omen in my book. The waterproofing gasket on the tailcap had a defect that caused it to be broken, and it fell off when I opened the light up to put in batteries. The gasket appeared to be uneven in construction and very thin, so methinks I'll go through a couple when changing batteries.

I wish these had been made in the USA, as the design appears basically good.

UPDATE: Barska's Customer Service has been an Epic FAIL in regards to addressing the broken gasket. I thought they'd get right on it and send a replacement, but the rep completely dropped the ball, and now won't respond at all. ALl over a cheap Chinese gasket. Can't recommend their stuff as a result. Star rating revised from 3 to 1.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
This is a great little flashlight and while I own a ton of powerful little flashlights, this is a fun one unlike any others I own. This is not the brightest little light for its size, but has a groovy feature of "zooming" the spotlight from a wide circle to a tight/narrow spotlight. The spotlight version is (of course) much brighter than the wider-band circle of light. The other thing I like about this light is harder for me to describe -- but the light itself is cast in a very smooth/even flood. There are no distracting radial spires like are seen in cheaper flashlights. There's a pretty good video available which gives you a feel for wide flood from tight beam. If I had a criticism of the light it would be that the friction-fit for telescoping the light in and out (which moves the beam from flood to tight) is a little tight. It takes some pretty good pressure to pull the telescoping action in and out. This may become easier over time -- and I chose not to ding my rating, because I'd prefer a tighter fit over a fit which is sloppy or too loose. Overall -- a VERY fun, bright light which does something for me that none of my other flashlights can do!
on April 28, 2014
I bought this on a whim thinking it would be the "dud" Christmas gift for the year which is a tradition here. However, it turned out to be his favorite gift. He takes it to work with him and uses it to zoom in on areas in super high tech equipment to help give the guys a better visual on what they are trying to repair. He had a similar one before but he kept in the work toolbox where it was promptly stolen. This one stays in his laptop bag. Go Barska!
on March 11, 2012
I got this as a gift to replace some of the SureFire lights that had burnt out bulbs, etc. While it's not a SureFire, being able to use normal (aka not CR123 batteries) is a major plus. The other advantage over the SureFire is that the light does not heat up to the point of starting a fire as it's using LEDs rather than the Xenon bulb. I have a couple nylon belt holders with large melted holes from where the surefire (or generic surefire) turned on while on my belt and the next thing I noticed was a burning smell.

Pros: Good light at a good price, well built, uses AAA batteries

Cons: does not come with a belt holder, but rather a gun rail mount, The preset focus is for the short range and you cannot lock the focus adjustment to the range you want.
on December 1, 2013
Once I received the light that actually worked as intended (the zoom seal ring must've been broken on first one), this is one of the brightest and most durable lights money can buy. Illumination is simply insanely bright. Mounting system works as intended. The retailer has excellent costumer skills and will replace defective light without wait and need for return.
on January 13, 2013
It's solid and probably mechanically fine. My focus was a bit too stiff to use with one hand. Mounted on a gun and it may be fine I don't know.

Biggest flaw is the one button switch on the back. Click once dim. Click again bright. Hold strobe. If you are fine with this then it's a great light but for me I like to turn it on and have it full brightness or turn it off and have it completely off.

I got a Fenix TK35 and love it. It's a different light but has two buttons and remembers your last setting. On/Off is ALWAYS just that, On and Off.
on September 14, 2013
Works so far . easy to adjust and the remote switch has held up. I bought a different mount . The one you get is sturdy I just needed to mount mine forward with a cantilever mount. Laser is extremely visible at night. I lit up a cloud. Indoors and on a cloudy day range Is not as far but OK . Kind of a cool toy. I would buy again
on December 26, 2011
This flashlight is surprisingly small and lightweight, but it's very, very bright. You can also make the spotlight larger or smaller. It would especially be ideal to keep in your car in case of emergencies.
on December 26, 2011
I saw this flashlight for a good price and thought that I would buy it for it's good description. Sure enough it's a nice light. Aluminum case is sturdy with a nice button and a good focus adjustment. The beam of light is excellent too. I like everything about this style of flashlight except the 3 AAA batteries that it runs on but I knew that when I bought it, it's the price that you pay for this nice size.