Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

• Rose
  • Customer reviews

on September 10, 2016
They say you can never forget your first Doctor. If any of the many actors who have played The Doctor since Dr. Who's premier in 1963 deserves the honour of being your first it is absolutely Christopher Eccleston, a gifted actor whose work you probably know already even if you never connected his name to his diverse roles.

Eccleston only played The Doctor for this single season; he did not renew his contract. But his work here sets the ground work for every Dr. Who episode created since. Gone is the absent-minded professor type of the first eight Doctors. Eccleston's Doctor is thoughtful, direct, and action-focused. This is a Time Lord with a plan who doesn't hesitate to do whatever needs to be done and has both the knowledge and experience to solve problems that would confuse others.

He is also a haunted man, regenerating out of the War Doctor (see "Day of the Doctor" from the 50th anniversary specials), the sole survivor of the Great Time War, his conscience thick with the horrors of that war and his role in it, a conscience that makes him more determined than ever to help others -- starting with Rose Tyler in the first episode, "Rose."

This journey with the Ninth Doctor is far too short, our time with him feeling like the blink of an eye. But we are better for meeting Christopher Eccleston's Doctor on this journey of discover that will make you laugh, cry, and cheer.
66 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 18, 2016
It goes without saying that newwho drew in countless whovians and this is one of the reasons why. Combining the campiness and emotion that made the series decades prior, with budding special effects technology and you can't miss.

Comparing the 4 rebooted doctors Christopher Eccleston is my 3rd, but that's not to say he wasn't a good doctor. It's just, in my opinion, that Tennant and Smith were more my taste.
on January 23, 2017
This is my absolute favorite season of NuWho. While I may like the following Doctors, and love the preceding Doctors, this season had the right mix of whimsical fantasy-SciFi and serious plot development that made me care and feel for every single character involved, and Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor captured my heart more than anyone else. Maybe not the best if you don't enjoy the kind of crude humor it serves up (I know, I know... farting aliens who are fat, hardeeharhar), but I feel that it's excellent points far outshine the downsides. British SciFi at its best, if you ask me.
on July 15, 2016
I've been a big Dr who can since the reboot. Recently my 8 year old became interested and I found that Prime offered all the old seasons. Binge watching to catch him up and he loves it. The tenth Doctor will always be my favorite, but each incarnation brings something new and wonderful. Must watch for any BBC fans.
on January 6, 2018
The 1st season I started watching Doctor Who. It was cheaper buying the DVD from Overseas. I did buy a region free player so I could watch the shows from the BBC. There are several I like, so much better then US TV.
on May 21, 2017
Fantastic! Love this show first became a whovian back in 2014 when the show was on Netflix it was in my recommendations glad I clicked it and started to watch the show its awesome :) and glad its on Amazon Prime considering its off netflix :'( sadly
on May 8, 2016
After waiting half a lifetime for something I thought I would never see again, the BBC returned The Doctor to me, and it was well worth the wait. The stories and cinematography meld into the perfect geeky experience. Comfort food for the brain that also makes you think about the world in a whole new way. I took a lot of my philosophy of life from Doctor quotes, and I haven't regretted it yet.
on October 4, 2016
I have been watching this show with my 9 year old grandson.... I saw a short film on what programs to watch with a 4th grader and Dr Who was suggested. He loves the show!! As an adult I think it's "good," but he wants to watch episode after episode. I rated this a 4 because it's half way between his 5 and my 3. We are just finishing season 1, so many many seasons to come :-)
on October 4, 2016
To begin with, I was not originally a fan of Rose or her mother. I watched the season then moved on to season 2. Season 1 is a must, I have since watched it again. To understand the Doctor and the Rose references, to see that he is damaged and broken, yet she teaches him to love again is a must. To understand the Doctor's way of looking at the rest of his companions, watch Season 1.
on August 10, 2016
When this show restarted in 2005, I had never heard of it. I know, sad isn't it. =) When it ended in 1989, I knew nothing about it.
In 2005, when the SyFy channel started the reboot, I was immediately a fan. What can I say.
When Christopher Eccleston, popped in and said "Run", yeah, I was hooked. He, being an actor whom I'd always liked, and had wondered if he always potrayed 'the bad guy'. But no, he as the Doctor, was fantastic.
Now, 2016, rewatch ingredients the entire series, thanks Amazon, I'm tying together all sorts of hints that had been mentioned in following episodes.
Love it!