Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

• Rose
  • Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 3,549 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,432 reviews
on September 10, 2016
They say you can never forget your first Doctor. If any of the many actors who have played The Doctor since Dr. Who's premier in 1963 deserves the honour of being your first it is absolutely Christopher Eccleston, a gifted actor whose work you probably know already even if you never connected his name to his diverse roles.

Eccleston only played The Doctor for this single season; he did not renew his contract. But his work here sets the ground work for every Dr. Who episode created since. Gone is the absent-minded professor type of the first eight Doctors. Eccleston's Doctor is thoughtful, direct, and action-focused. This is a Time Lord with a plan who doesn't hesitate to do whatever needs to be done and has both the knowledge and experience to solve problems that would confuse others.

He is also a haunted man, regenerating out of the War Doctor (see "Day of the Doctor" from the 50th anniversary specials), the sole survivor of the Great Time War, his conscience thick with the horrors of that war and his role in it, a conscience that makes him more determined than ever to help others -- starting with Rose Tyler in the first episode, "Rose."

This journey with the Ninth Doctor is far too short, our time with him feeling like the blink of an eye. But we are better for meeting Christopher Eccleston's Doctor on this journey of discover that will make you laugh, cry, and cheer.
55 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2016
This is a quality continuation of the Doctor Who Series that I have been watching since the Early Black & White Days on PBS when I was attending UCCS, 40 minutes a week. Long before digital recording was available. No I buy the DVD's in Blu-Ray, and yet, I STILL love the Doctor on Amazon! High quality and definition is looks awesome on my 4K ultra HD TV. This iteration of The Doctor is no stranger to me. With the Doctor, you always get an awesome, interesting plot and humor mixed with a bit of Horror. All my children are Whovians, as are my Grandchildren. The special effects have become state of the art and always compliment the scripted tale and actions. My days of being shipped overseas and missing my diet of the Doctor are over. At 70, I await each new iteration of The Doctor with the knowledge that He will be an awesome incarnation of the Doctors before him...
on March 23, 2017
Why doesn't BBC ever reair this season anymore? This was the season that brought back Doctor Who after a decade and I love it! Christopher Eccelston' s 9th Doctor is criminally underappreciated, he brings a sly and witty tone to this time traveling alien and a genuine heart as well, or should I say 2 hearts haha. Season 1also has some pretty great stories as well: Charles Dickens facing alien ghosts, the farting Slitheen, the introduction of Captain Jack Harkness, and of course the return of the Daleks. Season 1 of Doctor Who is defiantly a must- watch for any Whofan, and with Amazon Prime you don't need a TARDIS to watch it again!
on July 21, 2016
Finally! Doctor Who on Blu Ray! I have been waiting for them to release the individual series on Blu Ray ever sincefor the 50th anniversary when they released all of the new Doctor Who series on Blu Ray together. So finally while Doctor Who is in a stint, they've released it and now I can finally add it to my collection. Just be aware that even though these are Blu Ray, they will not be the same quality as Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi era Blu Rays, because of how they were filmed, but there will still be a definite improvement in quality and picture. It comes with a slip cover and has 3 Blu Ray discs that include all the episodes from series 1 (3 Blu Ray discs in total), plus bonus features like Doctor Who Confidential, commentaries, intervies, behind the scenes, and other added features. As far as I can tell, there are no bonus extra features, but they are the same ones from the original DVD release. A must have for Whovians, I am so glad I can finally add this to my collection even though I already own the DVD version for many years (And yes I can never throw that one away even though I now have this one as it is too precious to me!).
on October 15, 2016
All of time and space, where do you want to start? Who wouldn't love the opportunity to travel through space and time, or wish to be brave and clever enough to save the world again and again? Doctor Who is an adult fantasy with non-stop action and adventure, but also holds a mirror up to our humanity, revealing our flaws, but giving us hope that we can be better.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched each episode of Doctor Who, the old and the reboots, and I enjoy them just as much each time as I did the first. The plots, writing, and acting are great; I love Rose as the Doctor's companion, and sympathize with the Doctor, the last of his kind trying to do the right thing in a dangerous universe.
on February 10, 2017
Doctor Who is fantastic! British Science Fiction at it's best! Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Doctor is charming, witty and genius and Billy Piper took her pop star status, appeal and talent, taking it to a whole new level as the beautiful, intelligent companion to the Doctor! Love the steampunk look of the Tardis! It's a 'must see!'
on January 18, 2017
My kids and I love Sci Fi so everyone kept telling us to check out Doctor Who. Like this lead guy in Season 101- cheeky and cute. But my oldest is a huge Trekie and says it's a rip off. Poor special effects, reminds me of 1990s not 2005 but it is tv not movie production. We'll keep watching a bit to see if it grows on us but I am not impressed so far with as much as people have raved about it. Maybe older versions??
on February 21, 2015
Was all set to watch this tonight, until I found out it has been pulled off of prime sometime in the last few days. I'm upset, I went through a lot of hassle to get it on my big screen tv. Also, prime isn't free. This stuff is what I'm paying for and what I want to see for free with my prime subscription.
on September 26, 2016
Too weird. Hokey. Maybe that's what Dr. Who is all about. I never watched the original series and decided to watch this. I've not been inclined to watch another one. I love Sci Fi and Time travel stuff, but this just didn't cut it for me.
on January 18, 2017
Forgot how good Ecclestone was as #9/#10. And of course the introduction of Barrowman's Captain Jack Harkness in a two-parter (which stands out as the best episodes of season 1). All the Bad Wolf rederences cleverly leading up to a decent finale. Typical Dr Who stuff: much of it chessy special effects (particularly the Slevine) and occassional cheesy lines but still good story telling. Ecclestone is great as a cheeky version of the Dr, probably my 3rd favourite, after the great #4 and of course David Tenant's #10/11 and just ahead of #2.