Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Office Product|Change

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 96 reviews
on February 25, 2012
I recently got a beautiful new bible, didn't want to mess it up with regular pens and highlighters as I have with other bibles, saw this 8-color pencil on Amazon and decided to give it a try. I agree, it is excellent, the best I've used. It took a little experimenting to find the right way to use it, works much better as a highlighter than as an underliner, as the leads are a bit too thick for fine lines. I use a regular pencil for underlining. But the highlighting is great, text shows through really well and the color does not bleed through at all on fine bible paper.

Notes about the colors: included are red, pink, yellow, orange, brown, light green, light blue, and dark blue. The yellow, red, orange, and pink are all very nice, but the brown is too dark for highlighting so I don't use it at all.

The two shades of blue look very different in the tube, but almost identical on the paper; the darker one shows up a bit better, but you have to work at the lighter one to get it to show, so I use the dark one the most. The light green is very light on paper, almost a yellow-green, but useful.

No purple or violet, which I really like for certain types of passages.

So, I looked around for more colors. Amazon only carries the 8-color refill with the same colors included in the pencil. But I found that the Pentel website carries three more colors: violet, regular green, and light peach. You can order them individually, so I re-ordered colors I know I like, and ordered the three I didn't already have so I could try them.

I love the violet, a nice purple shade, but not too dark for the text. The green is great, too, a nice fresh medium green, really pretty on the paper and a nice contrast to the light green. The peach is very light, so I probably won't use it as it doesn't show up as well as the other colors. So I just got rid of the brown and the light blue, and replaced them with the violet and the green. I'm happy now, all the colors I want, and can re-order individually from Pentel as I need them.
11 comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2016
This is the best mechanical pencil ever -- and the only one I've found with 8 color options. I use this to mark up floor plans for work, my son uses it with his sketchbook and coloring books, and it makes a great present. It is so nice to only have to carry this one thing instead of several individual colored pencils. Once you understand how to change the colors without breaking the lead, and once you get used to advancing/stopping the lead at the right length -- it is very convenient and fun to use. I also like that there is a refill pack of leads with the 8 colors.
on December 5, 2012
I ordered this pencil as a 'highlighter' for my bible that has REALLY thin pages.

PROS: It really doesn't have ANY bleed through. Can be used to highlight (lighter colors) or underline if your bible has some space between lines.

Pencil is not too bulky, feels fine in my hand.

CONS: "Assorted clip colors" means - you don't get to pick. I expected a choice of colors. I received orange, I would have really preferred black. That's minor, but annoying.

Some of my "leads" came broken.

Ease of use is relatively frustrating. It requires patience when moving lead or switching colors.

The tip is just a little too fine to be a highlighter - to highlight, you definitely have to color over several times if you want the words covered -- at least in my bible.

OVERALL: I like the concept. I like having all the colors available and in one place. I wish it was easier to use quickly or just that it was less touchy. I think if I ordered again, I would just order the pack of 5 I was considering for less $.

UPDATE: I have been using this "colored pencil" for awhile now. I find it easier to underline words than to actually try to highlight them. I recently bought a new bible with even thinner pages; this pencil wrinkles the page even when I'm trying to be careful. I'm ready to stop trying to make this one work and get something different. Still: great concept; less than great product.
on April 15, 2014
I got this just because I'm a pencil nut. OK I justified it by claiming that I would need it to mark off sections of a very complicated woodworking project I'm tackling this summer (it has 5 or 6 different sections with several involved steps in each section and everything is done in a strange order so it all fits together). I really like the color of these leads (and have actually found a few excuses to use it outside my initial plan). Everything seems to work well and despite being mainly plastic the pencil seems to be holding up very well. My only issue has been with the leads. A couple of mine have broken the tips off when using them (I admit I have a bit of a heavy hand, my main choice of mech pencil lead is 0.9mm as this holds up best for me- but these are 2.0mm so pressure should not really be an issue). At the price of replacement leads even minor breakage is a big issue to me. Other than that I like this pencil. Not sure what I will do once all the lead is used up (probably try some cheap knock off leads).
on November 21, 2012
Only downside I have seen with this pencil is the mechanism that releases the lead lets the lead come out all the way. You have to learn how to extend the right amount of lead and then when you are done with one color, flip the pencil upside down and push the button to allow the lead to slide back into its holding cell. Its a minor inconvenience for an otherwise awesome product.
on October 21, 2013
Ordered two..one for myself and one for my daughter to mark our Bibles. I'm taking a 13 week bible study class and have to memorize bible verses and this is a big help. Like others, when I opened the package and chose a color, the wrong color was coming out, after about 10 minutes, I figured out how to fix it. In the instructions, under "if the clip slips", it explains how to fix the problem..you have to line up the arrow on the clip with the notch on the top of the pen and then you will dispense the correct color. However, I have not figured out yet what the purpose of the clear plastic cap is that came with it. It does not fit on or over anything on the pen..oh well!
on July 1, 2012
Use this pencil for marking in my Bible. Great for coloring in/highlighting after circling with a pen. Wish there were a couple more color options like a purple instead of 2 shades of blue (reason for 4 out of 5 stars). But LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having all these colors in one pen. My niece loves to color in her coloring book with this pencil because of all the colors (great to only have 1 pencil to keep up with instead of a box of crayons that fall out all of the car!). Really great when traveling or even carrying around the house to not need a pencil cup to keep up with all of the colors. Easy to use, just takes a few seconds to switch back and forth between colors (about as much time as it would take to recap one color, put it away, and uncap a new color). Great option to be able to refill the leads too! Recommended!
on June 23, 2014
I keep a work journal and need to highlight and annotate many activities. I got tired of carrying several highlighting pens, so I was looking for a single-barrel highlighter. This automatic pencil fits the bill and then some:
• I use it for simple highlighting
• I use it to color-code related info that may be spread over a few pages
• I use it to color-code quick drawings and mind-maps
• I use it for quick notes that are a priority

It's a perfect addition to using a 4-color pen. This pencil has made it so much easier for me to keep organized.
on February 28, 2013
This pen is simply and strongly made and works well, with one exception. To use the pen, you turn to the color you want, push the button on top, and that lead drops down with gravity. You need to keep your finger under the opening and guide it to the proper length before releasing the button.
To switch colors, turn the pen upside down, push the button, and the lead is released back into its original position. The weakness is in the lead itself. Until you are used to the method, it is easy to break the lead. Some struggle with this. I found it easy to learn.
I recommend it as an excellent Bible marking and note taking tool for anyone who finds color highlighting helpful. Because the pen has lead, not ink, it will not bleed through, even with onion skin.
on May 2, 2016
Pretty good. It was a little hard to switch between the colors but that could have been my fault though.

Please rate this review as helpful, or not, if it provided any information that allowed you to make your decision to buy this product or not.