Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 668 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 771 reviews
on November 4, 2012
Unleash the beast within! I installed this hard drive into my ps3, took about 5 minutes, also make sure you have a USB stick with the current ps3 firmware so you can install onto your new harddrive, or an external hard drive that is FAT32 formatted so you can back up all of your saved downloads and firmware. You can download the firmware from the playstation website, located at the home screen in the bottom right hand corner.

Now for my review, so first I opted out for the just re download everything option as I did not want to format my external hard drive which made me kind of frustrated until I actually got it running. The first thing I noticed was how fast my downloads were. My internet speed has always been fast, only my old 5400 RPM HDD could not keep up with the write speeds! For example I just downloaded NFS MOST WANTED 2012 edition that came out a few days ago and my download time with my 5400 RPM HDD was around 2 hours (5Gbs, after I installed The Momentus XT my download speed dropped down to just under 30 minutes! I saved an hour and a half on download speed alone.

Some of you might be skeptical and that is ok, but continuing my install speeds are faster, my game loading screens are faster, when I am in a game online and I have to check a message from the XMB screen the is no lag and it is as smooth as butter as I can respond with out that annoying loading swirl in the top corner (all you ps3 gamers know what I am talking about)and most importantly I can get back into the game faster!

Overall I feel like I have a new system, it is faster in every aspect, it saves faster, downloads faster, installs faster, and loads your games faster. If you have GTA IV I am sure you have been driving in your car and notice some building animations pop up out of nowhere due to your HDD playing catch up and struggling to load everything, well guess what that is eliminated with this HDD as it loads everything extremely fast. You will NOT be disappointing with this HDD! It is a must buy and will greatly enhance your gaming experience and put you ahead of the competition!
on May 7, 2011
I purchased a 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid for $99.99 back in December of 2010. Whe the device arrived, I installed it and loaded Windows XP Pro, with over 17 years in the computer I.T. field, I was confident this wouldn't be a problem. The drive worked very well UNTIL early March 2011. I took a firmware update, SD25, (Recommended by the Seagate site) and within 24 hours the drive was dead. The online RMA process at the Seagate website was NOT friendly (I avoid speaking with non-technical people regarding computer problems, if not especially returns, if at all possible). You have to navigate through quite a few links to get to the actual RMA page(s). I filled out the RMA form, shipped the drive to TX, USA and waited. While it wasn't fast turn around for the replacement drive, another drive was shipped. The drive I received was NOT a new drive. Hence, I spent 99.99 PLUS return shipping for someone else's problem. (This policy in corporate America must stop). If I had wanted to adopt someone else's problematic drive, I would have purchased a used one from somewhere else. The 'REFURBISHED' drive, firmware SD24, I receieved wasn't recognized by BIOS or Windows XP (SP3) on boot. Once my computer started I ran Seagate's downloadable software called SeaTools. To my amazement, SeaTools was able to get the drive recognized, hence making it accessible to the Windows OS. However right away the drive was making the dreaded 'chirping' noise which is an indication that things are about to go down hill quickly for the drive. I went through the hassle of transfering my entire system from my old drive to the 'REFURBSIHED' drive I was sent by Seagate. Within 3 days, the 'REFURBISHED' drive was not technically dead but re-initializing every 30 seconds or so and Windows would no longer fully boot due to disk errors, registry corruption, etc. So, I once again navigated Seagate's website, paid another $10.00 shipping which brings my total investment to $129.00 for a drive I can't use and is no longer 'new'. I HIGHLY recommend you visit the forums for this or any other potential purchase before buying to get a better view of what problems you will have. I also recommend you find out what the RMA process is before hand as well as what the company's policy is regarding returns (Will you get a new drive, used drive, etc). This is a review, not an opinion, I have stated only the facts of my experience with the Seagate Momentus XT product. Decide for yourself.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 3, 2013
I bought an HP ENVY dv7 with a 1TB drive that was nice, but slow (5400 RPM). Data access and startup were not very stellar considering the price of the laptop. Since this laptop is capable of supporting two drives, I decided to buy a hybrid drive (the best of both worlds, faster access to data and lower price per GB of data storage). Here is what I liked:

1. First and foremost, the drive fit without issues into the extra drive tray. Actually, I removed the primary drive and made this one the primary and the 1TB the secondary drive.

2. I was able to clone the original drive onto this one without problems. I then installed this drive in the primary drive slot and the computer booted up without issue. After that, I reformatted the 1TB drive and installed it as a secondary drive.

3. With the new drive in place, Windows 8 came up much faster. The computer now has much faster access to data and it is noticeable as I switch from one app to another.

4. The drive has been working 24/7 (I never turn off my laptop or spin down the drives) for several months now without any problems.

What I did not like:

1. While the 4GB SSD section is great, it does not cover everything and it needs to learn what you are opening and using the most. Once it does that, things are very fast as long as what you are doing does not exceed the 4GB limit. If you need more data than that, you are back to accessing the 7200 RPM drive. For the most part, the learning curve for the drive is quick and not really a problem. You should just not expect the same performance that you would get from a complete SSD drive.

All in all, this is an excellent drive for the price and certainly much faster than the 1TB drive that came with my laptop. I would highly recommend it if you have a 5400 RPM drive and want to get faster speeds out of your computer without the price of a full SSD unit.
on September 5, 2013
As my old PS3 hard drive was quickly filling up with content (member of PS+) I needed a new hard drive to pull duty and the idea of a hybrid drive intrigued me.

A few online reviews stated that this hard drive (or rather, any hybrid drive) would improve performance of the PS3 and lead to faster loads and less waiting. I have not conducted any personal research on this claim on my own PS3, but I can honestly say that this HDD is performing the task it was intended for - storing and loading all the games that come with PS+ membership.

Logically, the hybrid aspect of this drive should improve load times, as things are put into the SSD portion of the drive, reducing seek times - however, I imagine that the increase is minimal, as most of the data is still likely coming from the 500GB platter and not the SSD. Does it matter?

The short answer - no. What matters is that this drive was able to replace the 80GB drive that was in my PS3 without any hassle. Following a few simple steps from online "How-To" videos and I was able to quickly backup my PS3, remove the old drive, insert the new one, upgrade the PS3 back to the current release, and finally reinstall all my old software, games, and saves. And now instead of just having a few GBs left, I have a few hundred GBs left. Ready to install more PS+ games, as they are made available.

Overall, if you are looking for a means to replace your HDD for your PS3 or even a laptop, this one will serve you well. Quiet, efficient and in theory - designed to enhance load times by incorporating a SSD chip on board, bringing this device into the hybrid lane.
on November 21, 2010
I got the 250 gb drive with express delivery for 105$. have been using it since oct10 2010. I saw that the drive was blazing fast and booted almost instantly when compared to my previous 160 gb 5400rpm toshiba drive. This is a 7200rpm drive with hybrid memory. I was so happy to see my drive boot in less than 3 minutes. i have not timed it yet but i use a SSD for my office laptop and this is almost as good. It boots fast, loads files faster, much faster.

If you use certain programs regularly, u will see a tremendous performance increase. If u use torrents, then no increase since ur caching files to the memory a lot.

Buy this for a cheaper alternative to SSD's and the old standard drives.
So choose a 7200rpm, low energy consuming drive.
This drive has the energy consumption that my old 5400rpm drive had. So
good price
good performance
higher speed
same power consumption.

edit: windows 7 32 bit on my lappy boots in under a minute now. 35 seconds. takes another 40 seconds for system to finish complete load(multiple user startup items) and be responsive.ex- for me to launch a browser total time 75 sec. way faster than before.
my config: acer aspire 5735-4624
2ghz processor intel pentium dual t3200
2gb ram 667mhz 1mb L2 cache ddr 2
this hard disk.
standard dvd writer.
Note: my lappy is like an oven now. the 7200rpm generates a lot of heat..
on June 6, 2011
Was a bit skeptical about this hard drive...however after installing and updating firmware I proceeded to do a clean install of windows 7 home and downloaded my upgrade anytime professional version. After installing updates I'd added microsoft office and complete sims collection as well as all roller coaster tycoon games. I installed system mechanic professional also. Using its clean up and disk defragment and registry defragmenter its boosted my boot time and application run time greatly.

Only thing I don't understand is microsofts score ranking of 5.9 which is the same as my previous 5400RPM WD green caviar hard drive. Yet I know I have substantially faster access to programs and my PC seems to no longer lock up. Also no problems with sleep mode. After my first 24-48hrs of installing my large gaming and software files its successfully survived the intense usage. Some heat is noted, but not terrible. I have this installed in my HP pavillion elite e9120y quad core 8GB Ram...it boots around 15seconds and my minute or two of loading programs at startup now only takes 10 to 20 seconds and it can have my web browser up and ready...which is awesome for the price and storage reliability over the general SSD market. Hope they make larger Hybrid drives...perhaps with 8GB or more SSD and larger overall disk space. Not disappointed with my choice though, over an SSD or Velociraptor type drive. Its quiet and seemingly reliable with the firmware update...no problems yet.

Hope if anyone buys one they get one that works because if it does what its supposed to you wouldn't be disappointed. I based my purchase on budget...and it probably meets 2/3 of an ssd and significantly better than standard 7200 or 5200RPM drives.

UPDATE 12/19/11
Thought I'd post drive is still working like it did when I bought it. I've upgraded to firmware 28 without any problems. Occasionally during boot up on Windows 7 it claims bootmgr file is missing...a quick restart fixes this. Happens very rarely, no problems with hibernate/sleep mode. Drive maintains about 200-350GB worth of data on the drive with virus scans weekly and drive optimization monthly.
on July 24, 2012
I purchased the 500GB hybrid drive for my old Dell Inspiron 6400 (also known as the Dell E1505) notebook computer. Long story short, this drive is worth every penny and it has dramatically cut my boot time, as well as the loading time for my most used programs. It has breathed new life into a computer that I thought was slow and obsolete, saving me from having to buy an expensive upgraded notebook computer.

Should you decide to purchase this drive, I recommend you also puchase an external USB case for it, if you wish to copy/clone your existing operating system and data. You DO NOT need to purchase a special cable or cloning software if you get the external case; save your money. Here's the process for Windows:

1) Install the hybrid drive into the case; this takes less than 2 minutes.
2) Go to the Seagate website and download "Drive Wizard."
3) Install Drive Wizard on your computer.
4) Plug the drive into a USB port.
5) Right-click on My Computer, select manage, select drive management, select the new drive and make it active.
6) Run Drive Wizard, select clone and choose your source drive, making the destination drive your new 500 GB drive.
7) The software will then clone the drive. This can take some time.
8) When done, turn off your computer, swap the drives, and reboot. You can put the old drive into the external case for backup and extra external storage.

Here's a comparison of performance. With an old Seagate 80GB 5400rpm drive, the boot times for Windows XP were:

Windows spash screen to logon screen: 58 seconds
Logon entered to desktop being usable: 1 minute, 1 second

AFTER the installation of this drive and several reboots/uses of favorite programs:

Windows splash screen to logon screen: 18 seconds
Logon entered to desktop being usable: 30 seconds

Programs like Photoshop CS2 or Nikon Capture NX load much, much quicker about 1/5th the time it previously took.

Issues uncovered: I needed to reactivate Photoshop CS2 after the drive swap, which was simple online process. Also, my Intel PROset wireless management had issues connecting wirelessly; this was resolved by deleting the wireless profiles and manually re-entering the profile. Windows Wireless management (Windows Zero Configuration) had no issues, so another workaround was to stop using Intel PROset wireless. Indeed, Windows Zero Configuration is much faster at loading than Intel PROset, but that's another tale. No other issues occurred during this upgrade.

So, this drive is a great investment--all the size of a regular hard drive, and most of the speed of a solid state drive, without the ridiculously high cost. I do own an SSD for my hand-built desktop and that is ridiculously fast, with logon to desktop usability time of 7 seconds. This drive isn't as fast as that, but it's definitely waaay faster than a standard 5400 rpm notebook drive.

Highly recommended!
on March 3, 2011
Bought this to replace a 200 GB 7,200 rpm Western Digital HD on my 2007 Macbook pro. Since using it for a couple of days now, this drive is very fast. Boot up is half the time compare to the old drive and photoshop is very fast to start up. I use Firefox for my browser and that opens in a quarter of the time compared to the Hitachi 200 gb 7200 rpm drive. MS office outlook is almost instantaneous.

The drive must generate lower heat, because my fan is running at 2800 rpm when the old drive would typically cause my fan to run at 5200 rpm and sound like a vacumn cleaner.

Update 3-31-11:
I sent mine back because after SD24 and SD25 firmware update my battery life on my mac book pro was pretty bad. Check out the Seagate forums on this because there has been a lot of problems with this drive especially in a Macbook.

Bought a WD 500 GB 7200 RPM instead and now my battery life is back to where it was similar to the OEM hard drive.
on September 9, 2015
I should be honest and say up front that I'm not very knowledgable about computers and a lot of tech stuff in general. That being said, I originally purchased this to replace the hard drive in my PS3. Thankfully, the actual procedure was not too difficult (thanks Sony!) and right away I was able to gauge how well this thing performs. Load times are significantly faster and my machine has been running smoothly. The memory capacity is absolutely beastly on the 500GB model and I don't think I'll end up running out of storage space any time soon. For such a fantastic hard drive, this thing is pretty cheap. I don't personally know how well it performs on a computer but if you're in the market for upgrading your PS3's hard drive , this is the way to go.
on August 16, 2012
I was skeptical, but I decided to install one of these in my 2008 Unibody MacBook. It has been starting to age, and I can't justify buying a new computer, so I was looking for a way to breath new life into it.

Installing was a snap (I know this has to do more with the MacBook itself, but I thought those of you with the same model might be interested to know).

So getting to actual performance, all I can say is that this thing is VERY fast. The 4GB SSD really makes a difference. Like I said, I was skeptical, but it made a HUGE difference! With my old hard drive, for example, OS X Mountain Lion took about an hour and a half to install. After installing the Momentus XT, installation only took 18 minutes. Another example is that cold startups used to take 97 seconds to be usable and open a Finder window. Cold startup times have dropped to a mere 30 seconds! Lastly, applications open much faster. I haven't timed it, but it is noticeably faster, no doubt.

For a 4-year-old MacBook, I am very pleased. It feels like a brand new computer, and speeds are similar to that of a MacBook Air. No, it isn't a full SSD, but it isn't 4x the cost either. It's a great way to get near-SSD performance at a much smaller price.

Simply put, I'm impressed! I should be able to hang onto my MacBook for a couple more years now!