Hill Climb Racing 2 Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New playlist Christmas Soul PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on August 9, 2010
I have the 500GB version of this drive. I also use and have used SSD's with SLC and MLC flash, JMicron controllers, Samsung Controllers, Barefoot controllers, and SandForce controllers on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. I've used several generations of Raptors, and 3Ware RAID controllers. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying it to point out I have a reasonable basis for comparison and expectation.

Here's what the drive does well: It's alignment- and OS-agnostic, so it does not care if you run it unaligned on older XP systems. It will, over about 5 cycles, learn what you do and optimize it. You will notice your system boots much faster. It excels on systems where you boot into your OS and do the same basic tasks, say, open MS office and Firefox and Outlook.

Here's what the drive does not do well: If you are constantly changing what you run on your computer, your drive will constantly be "learning" what you do. I have also found it does not do well with remote desktop apps that are constantly caching image data.

Here's what the drive does that makes it no better or worse than any other mechanical drive: If you are using the drive to store music or videos or such, they are going to go the the platters. Then it's just another very good, high performance 7200RPM notebook drive. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Here's the KILLER APP reason to buy this drive: I took a 32-bit Vista Home Premium laptop that was so congested and clogged with programs, leftovers of removed programs, fragmentation, you name it, and just cloned it to this drive. The mechanical drive it was on took literally 5 minutes to get to a useful state on the desktop. This drive, after about 5 boots, learned that our family needed Vista OS, Chrome for Farmville, and iTunes. We now have 30 second boots and even though the drive is still loading services and such, we can launch apps immediately at the desktop. Our primary apps either snap open, or in the case of iTunes launch about 3x faster. It's not subtle, it's huge.

If you want a drive that does not have alignment issues with older OS's, and is used primarily on a computer that does about the same sorts of things over and over, this drive will make a huge difference for you. And since it's SLC cache, it's enterprise-class durable in that regard. Also, it mirrors its flash to the mechanical drive, so if the flash fails, it just becomes a regular mechanical drive, sort of like a run-flat tire.
5150+ comments| 754 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
Unleash the beast within! I installed this hard drive into my ps3, took about 5 minutes, also make sure you have a USB stick with the current ps3 firmware so you can install onto your new harddrive, or an external hard drive that is FAT32 formatted so you can back up all of your saved downloads and firmware. You can download the firmware from the playstation website, located at the home screen in the bottom right hand corner.

Now for my review, so first I opted out for the just re download everything option as I did not want to format my external hard drive which made me kind of frustrated until I actually got it running. The first thing I noticed was how fast my downloads were. My internet speed has always been fast, only my old 5400 RPM HDD could not keep up with the write speeds! For example I just downloaded NFS MOST WANTED 2012 edition that came out a few days ago and my download time with my 5400 RPM HDD was around 2 hours (5Gbs, after I installed The Momentus XT my download speed dropped down to just under 30 minutes! I saved an hour and a half on download speed alone.

Some of you might be skeptical and that is ok, but continuing my install speeds are faster, my game loading screens are faster, when I am in a game online and I have to check a message from the XMB screen the is no lag and it is as smooth as butter as I can respond with out that annoying loading swirl in the top corner (all you ps3 gamers know what I am talking about)and most importantly I can get back into the game faster!

Overall I feel like I have a new system, it is faster in every aspect, it saves faster, downloads faster, installs faster, and loads your games faster. If you have GTA IV I am sure you have been driving in your car and notice some building animations pop up out of nowhere due to your HDD playing catch up and struggling to load everything, well guess what that is eliminated with this HDD as it loads everything extremely fast. You will NOT be disappointing with this HDD! It is a must buy and will greatly enhance your gaming experience and put you ahead of the competition!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 3, 2013
I bought an HP ENVY dv7 with a 1TB drive that was nice, but slow (5400 RPM). Data access and startup were not very stellar considering the price of the laptop. Since this laptop is capable of supporting two drives, I decided to buy a hybrid drive (the best of both worlds, faster access to data and lower price per GB of data storage). Here is what I liked:

1. First and foremost, the drive fit without issues into the extra drive tray. Actually, I removed the primary drive and made this one the primary and the 1TB the secondary drive.

2. I was able to clone the original drive onto this one without problems. I then installed this drive in the primary drive slot and the computer booted up without issue. After that, I reformatted the 1TB drive and installed it as a secondary drive.

3. With the new drive in place, Windows 8 came up much faster. The computer now has much faster access to data and it is noticeable as I switch from one app to another.

4. The drive has been working 24/7 (I never turn off my laptop or spin down the drives) for several months now without any problems.

What I did not like:

1. While the 4GB SSD section is great, it does not cover everything and it needs to learn what you are opening and using the most. Once it does that, things are very fast as long as what you are doing does not exceed the 4GB limit. If you need more data than that, you are back to accessing the 7200 RPM drive. For the most part, the learning curve for the drive is quick and not really a problem. You should just not expect the same performance that you would get from a complete SSD drive.

All in all, this is an excellent drive for the price and certainly much faster than the 1TB drive that came with my laptop. I would highly recommend it if you have a 5400 RPM drive and want to get faster speeds out of your computer without the price of a full SSD unit.
on September 5, 2013
As my old PS3 hard drive was quickly filling up with content (member of PS+) I needed a new hard drive to pull duty and the idea of a hybrid drive intrigued me.

A few online reviews stated that this hard drive (or rather, any hybrid drive) would improve performance of the PS3 and lead to faster loads and less waiting. I have not conducted any personal research on this claim on my own PS3, but I can honestly say that this HDD is performing the task it was intended for - storing and loading all the games that come with PS+ membership.

Logically, the hybrid aspect of this drive should improve load times, as things are put into the SSD portion of the drive, reducing seek times - however, I imagine that the increase is minimal, as most of the data is still likely coming from the 500GB platter and not the SSD. Does it matter?

The short answer - no. What matters is that this drive was able to replace the 80GB drive that was in my PS3 without any hassle. Following a few simple steps from online "How-To" videos and I was able to quickly backup my PS3, remove the old drive, insert the new one, upgrade the PS3 back to the current release, and finally reinstall all my old software, games, and saves. And now instead of just having a few GBs left, I have a few hundred GBs left. Ready to install more PS+ games, as they are made available.

Overall, if you are looking for a means to replace your HDD for your PS3 or even a laptop, this one will serve you well. Quiet, efficient and in theory - designed to enhance load times by incorporating a SSD chip on board, bringing this device into the hybrid lane.
on November 21, 2010
I got the 250 gb drive with express delivery for 105$. have been using it since oct10 2010. I saw that the drive was blazing fast and booted almost instantly when compared to my previous 160 gb 5400rpm toshiba drive. This is a 7200rpm drive with hybrid memory. I was so happy to see my drive boot in less than 3 minutes. i have not timed it yet but i use a SSD for my office laptop and this is almost as good. It boots fast, loads files faster, much faster.

If you use certain programs regularly, u will see a tremendous performance increase. If u use torrents, then no increase since ur caching files to the memory a lot.

Buy this for a cheaper alternative to SSD's and the old standard drives.
So choose a 7200rpm, low energy consuming drive.
This drive has the energy consumption that my old 5400rpm drive had. So
good price
good performance
higher speed
same power consumption.

edit: windows 7 32 bit on my lappy boots in under a minute now. 35 seconds. takes another 40 seconds for system to finish complete load(multiple user startup items) and be responsive.ex- for me to launch a browser total time 75 sec. way faster than before.
my config: acer aspire 5735-4624
2ghz processor intel pentium dual t3200
2gb ram 667mhz 1mb L2 cache ddr 2
this hard disk.
standard dvd writer.
Note: my lappy is like an oven now. the 7200rpm generates a lot of heat..
on June 6, 2011
Was a bit skeptical about this hard drive...however after installing and updating firmware I proceeded to do a clean install of windows 7 home and downloaded my upgrade anytime professional version. After installing updates I'd added microsoft office and complete sims collection as well as all roller coaster tycoon games. I installed system mechanic professional also. Using its clean up and disk defragment and registry defragmenter its boosted my boot time and application run time greatly.

Only thing I don't understand is microsofts score ranking of 5.9 which is the same as my previous 5400RPM WD green caviar hard drive. Yet I know I have substantially faster access to programs and my PC seems to no longer lock up. Also no problems with sleep mode. After my first 24-48hrs of installing my large gaming and software files its successfully survived the intense usage. Some heat is noted, but not terrible. I have this installed in my HP pavillion elite e9120y quad core 8GB Ram...it boots around 15seconds and my minute or two of loading programs at startup now only takes 10 to 20 seconds and it can have my web browser up and ready...which is awesome for the price and storage reliability over the general SSD market. Hope they make larger Hybrid drives...perhaps with 8GB or more SSD and larger overall disk space. Not disappointed with my choice though, over an SSD or Velociraptor type drive. Its quiet and seemingly reliable with the firmware update...no problems yet.

Hope if anyone buys one they get one that works because if it does what its supposed to you wouldn't be disappointed. I based my purchase on budget...and it probably meets 2/3 of an ssd and significantly better than standard 7200 or 5200RPM drives.

UPDATE 12/19/11
Thought I'd post drive is still working like it did when I bought it. I've upgraded to firmware 28 without any problems. Occasionally during boot up on Windows 7 it claims bootmgr file is missing...a quick restart fixes this. Happens very rarely, no problems with hibernate/sleep mode. Drive maintains about 200-350GB worth of data on the drive with virus scans weekly and drive optimization monthly.
on July 24, 2012
I purchased the 500GB hybrid drive for my old Dell Inspiron 6400 (also known as the Dell E1505) notebook computer. Long story short, this drive is worth every penny and it has dramatically cut my boot time, as well as the loading time for my most used programs. It has breathed new life into a computer that I thought was slow and obsolete, saving me from having to buy an expensive upgraded notebook computer.

Should you decide to purchase this drive, I recommend you also puchase an external USB case for it, if you wish to copy/clone your existing operating system and data. You DO NOT need to purchase a special cable or cloning software if you get the external case; save your money. Here's the process for Windows:

1) Install the hybrid drive into the case; this takes less than 2 minutes.
2) Go to the Seagate website and download "Drive Wizard."
3) Install Drive Wizard on your computer.
4) Plug the drive into a USB port.
5) Right-click on My Computer, select manage, select drive management, select the new drive and make it active.
6) Run Drive Wizard, select clone and choose your source drive, making the destination drive your new 500 GB drive.
7) The software will then clone the drive. This can take some time.
8) When done, turn off your computer, swap the drives, and reboot. You can put the old drive into the external case for backup and extra external storage.

Here's a comparison of performance. With an old Seagate 80GB 5400rpm drive, the boot times for Windows XP were:

Windows spash screen to logon screen: 58 seconds
Logon entered to desktop being usable: 1 minute, 1 second

AFTER the installation of this drive and several reboots/uses of favorite programs:

Windows splash screen to logon screen: 18 seconds
Logon entered to desktop being usable: 30 seconds

Programs like Photoshop CS2 or Nikon Capture NX load much, much quicker about 1/5th the time it previously took.

Issues uncovered: I needed to reactivate Photoshop CS2 after the drive swap, which was simple online process. Also, my Intel PROset wireless management had issues connecting wirelessly; this was resolved by deleting the wireless profiles and manually re-entering the profile. Windows Wireless management (Windows Zero Configuration) had no issues, so another workaround was to stop using Intel PROset wireless. Indeed, Windows Zero Configuration is much faster at loading than Intel PROset, but that's another tale. No other issues occurred during this upgrade.

So, this drive is a great investment--all the size of a regular hard drive, and most of the speed of a solid state drive, without the ridiculously high cost. I do own an SSD for my hand-built desktop and that is ridiculously fast, with logon to desktop usability time of 7 seconds. This drive isn't as fast as that, but it's definitely waaay faster than a standard 5400 rpm notebook drive.

Highly recommended!
on December 3, 2012
I bought two of these drives, one for a FAT PS3 and one for a slim PS3, both running for about a month each.
The good: The drive works flawlessly on my slim PS3. I have noticed shorter startup times and shorter load times for games compared to the stock drive. Overall, I am happy with this drive.
The bad: The drive I installed in the FAT PS3 was faulty. At first I thought it was an old problem with the PS3 system coming back to haunt me, but after reinstalling this drive in another PS3, I found that the drive was faulty. It would freeze on the intro, freeze when browsing through the home screen, freeze when downloading games, freeze when loading a game, etc.

Looking at other reviews this drive is definitely a gamble, as with most drives.

I don't think I would gamble again on this drive for the PS3 because it isn't that much faster than the stock drive that comes with the PS3. I think that the same speed boost can bee seen with a drive that spins at 7200 RPM, which cost less money for more space.
on March 3, 2011
Bought this to replace a 200 GB 7,200 rpm Western Digital HD on my 2007 Macbook pro. Since using it for a couple of days now, this drive is very fast. Boot up is half the time compare to the old drive and photoshop is very fast to start up. I use Firefox for my browser and that opens in a quarter of the time compared to the Hitachi 200 gb 7200 rpm drive. MS office outlook is almost instantaneous.

The drive must generate lower heat, because my fan is running at 2800 rpm when the old drive would typically cause my fan to run at 5200 rpm and sound like a vacumn cleaner.

Update 3-31-11:
I sent mine back because after SD24 and SD25 firmware update my battery life on my mac book pro was pretty bad. Check out the Seagate forums on this because there has been a lot of problems with this drive especially in a Macbook.

Bought a WD 500 GB 7200 RPM instead and now my battery life is back to where it was similar to the OEM hard drive.
on September 9, 2015
I should be honest and say up front that I'm not very knowledgable about computers and a lot of tech stuff in general. That being said, I originally purchased this to replace the hard drive in my PS3. Thankfully, the actual procedure was not too difficult (thanks Sony!) and right away I was able to gauge how well this thing performs. Load times are significantly faster and my machine has been running smoothly. The memory capacity is absolutely beastly on the 500GB model and I don't think I'll end up running out of storage space any time soon. For such a fantastic hard drive, this thing is pretty cheap. I don't personally know how well it performs on a computer but if you're in the market for upgrading your PS3's hard drive , this is the way to go.