Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 362 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 386 reviews
on May 31, 2011
This is a great power supply. I'm abusing it with bitcoin mining 24/7. They throw in a lot of fancy stuff, velvet bag, etc, but cheap out on the 12V sockets on the ATX connector. They're only rated for 6A or so and it's easy to pull more than that.

What this means is that if you put in 3 PCI-e video cards that each draw 75W (through the socket) you will burn the plastic off the ATX connector around those sockets, and then your computer will randomly shut off. I called Corsair to discuss this and they at least said they'd look into it.

If you want to fix it yourself it's not too hard with less than $20 worth of parts from DigiKey. Feel free to comment/contact me if you want the part numbers. It's a a lot cheaper/easier to fix it before you burn the plastic off. (I also have pictures, if you want to see them, I don't think I can link them here. Look up my blog if you want to see.)

I'm still giving it five stars because I know this is really an edge case, but I think it's going to be more common soon. I'll also note I had this happen with a 1kW CoolerMaster PSU. Basically all consumer PSUs use cheap sockets there instead of Molex HCS sockets. Just to give you some idea how silly this is, those sockets cost ~0.50 each (needed: 2) when buying in single-item quantities. It drops to just a few cents apiece when buying in bulk (as Corsair would). How much does a velvet bag cost?
55 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2016
BEFORE YOU BUY!! READ THIS - I bought this for $235 in April 2013. It has 4yrs left on warranty. I have to RMA this PSU and Corsair has informed me that since they no longer make it, they are FORCED to upgrade me to the AXI1200 BUT NOT FOR FREE!~~! .No I have to pay $365 for the new PSU meaning I have to come up with $140 just 3yrs into a 7yr warranty. WTH. I am retired from a vendor for a major & very old network component supplier, rhymes with Crisco. I am stunned by this. I called EVGA after talking with Corsair and they informed me that they honor the entire warranty. ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, CRUCIAL, KINGSTON & so on all honor their warranty without any pro-rating. I have 32GB of Corsair ram arriving today and I am returning it. I bought from Corsair 2 GTX 980 brackets + 2 Thick Wall 120mm closed loop coolers for 2 EVGA 980TIs. I cancelled them just now. If Corsair wants to ignore a warranty that was factored into the price, twice the cost of EVGA PSU same 80Gold 1000W that comes with a 7yrs unconditional warranty then I want nothing to do with them. I have bought 14 RM1000s over the past 3yrs for client builds and over 500GB of Corsair Ram. I'm thru with them. You take your chances; I thought you should know.
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
I was going to purchase one of the enthusiast series power supplies from Corsair when I noticed this one listed alongside it. I'm very happy with the performance of this power supply and the flexibility offered by the modular cable design. I was worried that in my full-tower case, the motherboard power cable was going to be too short to reach from the bottom of the case to the connector on the motherboard, but it was just the right length. I used 6 of the included power cables in my build, and the fact that I only used what I needed and left the other cables out helped me achieve a clean look inside my case.

It stays cool, I haven't done any scientific measurements to see if it's actually above 85% efficiency, but based on the fact that it stays cool to the touch I have no doubt that very little power is getting wasted as heat. It's powering an overclocked Core i7-2600K, 16GB of RAM, a Blu-Ray burner, three hard drives, an SSD, and an overclocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti-448 (basically a GTX 570). Looking at the BIOS monitors, I see no voltage drops or fluctuation when overclocking so this little guy is giving me nice stable, clean power.

It's mounted in a Corsair Carbide 500R case, and as would be expected it was easy and flawless to install.
on February 8, 2015
Bought five weeks ago and it's dead. Of course, one week too late to return it to Amazon. Guess I get to see how good Corsair is to deal with about their warranty. Of course, I just threw the box away last week too. What a sad state of affairs.

Update 3/2017. Had to wait a bit to get to speak with someone from Corsair regarding the warranty and getting a replacement, but once I spoke with a person, it was a great experience. Corsair shipped out a replacement right away (didn't wait to receive the dead one first) and I got the new one within a few days. I've been using the replacement every since with no issues.
on August 13, 2012
Have had zero issues, the modular cables are of suffcient length for routing, even on a bottom-mount mid-tower ATX case(NZXT Gamma, in my case). Probably well more power than I need, and Seasonic(the "real" manufacturer of the PSU) power supplies are often times good for slightly over what they're rated for.

For reference, I've ran:
i5-3570k @ 4.5Ghz +0.05v
4x4GB DDR3-2000 30nm Samsungs @ 1.5v
6+ 120MM fans
Antec Kuhler 620
2x 1TB WD blacks
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
2x Sapphire 7970 3GB OCs in Crossfire

This PSU handled gracefully the 2 OC'd 7970s in Crossfire just fine, even under FULL load.
on February 26, 2012
Everything I expected and more. Quiet, cool and powerful. Don't try to get by with a cheaper PSU, you will regret it down the road. For quality builds, you need power stability and the Corsair AX series of PSUs delivers. Highly recommended.
My build:
(2) WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drives
ASUS 24X DVD-RW Drive
Corsair 650W 80 Plus Gold AX650
Zalman CNPS9500 AT CPU Cooler
PRO-55U Card Reader
Rheosmart 3 fan controller
Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
on October 22, 2014
wow the coil whine is so loud to the point where it makes ocz power supplies look good lol

ever spend hours rewiring your system to find out that your premium power supply is the loudest thing in your system?
It sounded like an intel stock cooler under full load. I'm a Corsair fanboy and even I wanted to make this thing power a trash compactor to make it destroy itself.

I think I found 2 floppy adapters in the box too as well, it kinda made me laugh a little.
imagine a 140$ Platinum certified fully modular supposedly higher end power supply in a beige case powering garbage components. did Corsair really think this out?

Don't buy this psu guys....just go evga
Unless you want to suffer from the endless high pitch screech
good luck sleeping at night.
on April 15, 2013
I love modular power supplies because they make building a PC so much cleaner. The fan situation threw me off, and I did call tech support. Apparently, this thing runs so efficient the fan does not need to be on until it reaches a certain temperature. My PC has yet to reach that temperature. However, the fan will attempt to spin when you power on the pc, which was alarming and prompted a call to Corsair. No power issues whatsoever.
on April 21, 2016
This PSU is a great design and offered a wide array of modular cables. Performance as been rock solid. It's currently powering a i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, H100i watercooler, 2 GTX 980Tis (SLI), 2 Samsung 850 Pro's SSDs, and a Creative ZxR soundcard. No hiccups and the machine is running 24/7.

For any system builder out there, you'll find the cable lengths very manageable in terms of flexibility and long enough to span across most full-ATX cases. Also, the cables are fully braided, so you won't see the rainbow color spectrum of the different wire colors as they get closer to the plastic connectors. It's a very nice touch that is often overlooked by other manufacturers.

I absolutely have no complaints about this PSU and it's been great. The hybrid fan design is also helpful for those that aren't necessarily solely performance driven and want a more silent computing design.
on March 26, 2013
I used this is a massive watercooling project for my gaming PC. I used a BFG power supply earlier but the distribution of power across multiple rails caused me problems in the build, oddly, while adding a razer keyboard. In any case this new power supply adequately pushes my 5.01Ghz OC, SLI GTX 680's and two RAID arrays with no problems. The modular nature of the PSU makes cabling simple. It easily works with standard plugs for custom cabling projects.