Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greatest Hits - We Will Rock You Edition
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on November 6, 2004
First off - if you've already got the UK version of "Queen's Greatest Hits" in some form or another, then you don't need this. This is the UK version - with bonus tracks. People who only have the undercooked USA compilation will find this a delightful purchase, as their theoretical "Greatest Hits" was a bit lacking.

This album features Queen's chart hits from 1973-1981 - yes, this means that the three singles from this era that did relatively poorly on the charts - "Keep Yourself Alive", "Tie Your Mother Down" and "Spread Your Wings" - have been culled (though "Mother" is now added as a live bonus track, along with "Under Pressure", both lifted from the new "On Fire At The Bowl" Cd/DVD). Despite this, we have seventeen classic tracks - all hits in their own right. As was typical of the Queen of the age, they range in style - from simplistic ditties ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "You're My Best Friend"), to hard-rocking live faves ("Now I'm Here", "Another One Bites The Dust") and even one or two songs that defy conventional description ("Bohemian Rhapsody", "Play The Game"). But every single bit of it is great - there's not a disappointing song on there, and you'll be singing along to the lot in no time. My personal favourites are the beautiful "Somebody To Love", with Roger, Brian and Freddie multi-tracked to the point of sounding like a gospel choir; and Brian's emotive "Save Me" - with it's stunning and heart-wrenching lyrics. Possibly the best ballad they ever released as a single.

At least one of the prior reviewers has grumbled that Queen are just being cash-cows and are out to make a bit more money by releasing the same stuff over and over again in different boxes. I seriously doubt that anyone who already has "Greatest Hits" was ever going to buy this anyway, unless they're a massive collector. But, if you haven't got it already in one form or another, then this one is fine to get - plus the added bonus tracks make it just a little bit better. (And by the way - something tells me that it's less Queen trying to make a bit of money and more their American record label - most of the reissues (like this one) are commerically released in the USA only.)

A brilliant album, and well worth the money - unless, of course, you've already got a copy of it.

SONGS OF NOTE - Somebody To Love, Save Me, Fat Bottomed Girls, Crazy Little Thing Called Love
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2008
Queen have had countless compilations released over the years. We have tons of releases called 'Greatest Hits.' There's a mediocre U.S. version, than there's a great import release. Of course, there is a 'Greatest Hits II,' focusing on the 1981-1991 material. And finally, there is even a 'Greatest Hits III' released (I strongly recommend you avoid that release at all costs).

So, in the early 2000s, Hollywood Records decided to release yet another Queen 'Greatest Hits' album. But this one is far different from the standard 'Greatest Hits' release.

There is nothing from the 1981-1991 period. That means, no 'Radio Ga Ga,' 'I'm Going Slightly Mad,' 'A Kind Of Magic,' 'Who Wants To Live Forever' or 'Hammer To Fall.' That's a letdown. Now, this covers the early years of Queen. Read on.

Tracks from Queen (1973)
None
Review: No 'Keep Yourself Alive'? Come on! The U.K. version of 'Greatest Hits' also unfairly omitted this classic. Only 'Classic Queen' offers that track. That's the only compilation. A disappointment indeed.

Tracks from Queen II (1974)
'Seven Seas Of Rhye'
Review: A great song, one of the best. I have no complaints. Definitely the best song from the album. A classic pick.

Tracks from Sheer Heart Attack (1974)
'Killer Queen,' 'Now I'm Here'
Review: 'STONE COLD CRAZY'!?! Where the heck is it? This is supposed to be 'Greatest Hits'! ARGH! At least they included 'Killer Queen,' perhaps my favorite Queen song of the '70s. But the omission of 'Stone Cold Crazy' is just frustrating.

Tracks from A Night At The Opera (1975)
'Bohemian Rhapsody,' 'You're My Best Friend,' 'I'm In Love With My Car'
Review: Excellent. The three great tracks from arguably their best album are here. And unlike the previous release, this one actually includes 'Bohemian Rhapsody'! All I have to say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Tracks from A Day At The Races (1976)
'Somebody To Love,' 'Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy'
Review: Superb choices, my two favorites from the album. 'Tie Your Mother Down' is here, but in an inferior live version. Still, the follow up to 'A Night At The Opera' gets great coverage here. Hollywood Records got these picks right.

Tracks from News Of The World (1977)
'We Will Rock You,' 'We Are The Champions'
Review: Queen were at their peak when they released 'News Of The World.' So glad to see 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are The Champions,' the two ultimate sports anthems here, but 'Sheer Heart Attack' should also be here from this album as well.

Tracks from Jazz (1978)
'Fat Bottomed Girls,' 'Bicycle Race'
Review: The two hits from the album are here. Disappointed to see that an album track like 'If You Can't Beat 'Em' isn't here, but that's minor stuff. 'Jazz' has always been one of my favorite Queen albums, and these are my two favorites from the album, so I have no major complaints. Excellent choices.

Tracks from The Game (1980)
'Crazy Little Thing Called Love,' 'Save Me,' 'Another One Bites The Dust,' 'Play The Game'
Review: 'The Game' gets the record for the most songs from an album on this compilation, and rightfully so. Queen were at a career highpoint here, and it shows. 'Another One Bites The Dust' remains one of their biggest hits, and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' is a classic rock radio staple. A great album with great picks. Not a single complaint.

Tracks from Flash Gordon (1980)
'Flash's Theme'
Review: A great song, but it seems somewhat out of place here. I'm glad it's here, don't get me wrong, but this collection is made for their 1973-1980 stuff, and while this was recorded and released in 1980, Queen were moving towards the direction they would take in the '80s here.

Tracks from Hot Space (1982)
None
Review: Technically, what's written above is inaccurate, because 'Under Pressure' is here indeed, but it is a live version. Similar to 'Tie Your Mother Down,' the studio version is far superior to the live version.

Live tracks
'Under Pressure,' 'Tie Your Mother Down'
Review: Both are far inferior to the studio versions. I question Hollywood Records move to include the live versions of these Queen classics over the studio versions. A little disappointing. I strongly recommend seeking out the studio versions of both of these Queen classics as well.

Overall, this is somewhat disappointing. Everything here (well, except for maybe the live tracks) is five stars. I would buy this only if I were a casual Queen fan who wants their 1973-1980 output or if I were starting my Queen collection, but that would be the only reason I would buy this.

And while three stars may seem offensive to some, to me, it's perfectly reasonable. The picks here are five stars, but Hollywood could have done a far better job, no doubt about it.

Just seek out 'The Platinum Collection' or 'Greatest Hits I & II.' There, you will find all of the Queen the casual fan will ever need. If you are a Queen die-hard or a serious fan, just buy the studio albums. Oh yeah, and just download 'Keep Yourself Alive.'

This is recommended, but only for casual or new Queen fans. Otherwise, I would skip this in favor of better Queen compilations.
on October 5, 2005
Queen is, undoubtedly, one of the greatest bands of all time (the greatest in my opinion). As with all great bands, Queen has an unseemly amount of greatest hits collections in their catalogue. On August 17, 2004, a new Queen compilation was released entitled "Queen - Greatest Hits ("We Will Rock You" Edition). How does it hold up? Read on for my review.

Actually, it is not a new compilation, so to speak. It is a mere repackaging of their first compilation releaed in back around 1981 and later remastered and repackaged as a dual compilation along with "Greatest Hits, Vol 2" and repackaged agan about five years later as part of a three disc collection entitled "The Platinum Collection". The catch? This new edition comes with three bonus tracks. How does it hold up? Read on.

Positives:

-If you're only a fan of Queen's early work (their first album up to the "Flash" soundtrack), than this collection is ideal. All the classics from the early half of Queen's career are on here, including "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Killer Queen", "You're My Best Friend", "Another One Bites The Dust", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Somebody To Love".

-A few underrated gems are included as well, such as "Don't Stop Me Now", "Save Me" and the live staple "Now I'm Here".

-The song do indeed sound fantastic.

-Very affordable.

Negatives:

-One of the bonus tracks is "I'm In Love With My Car", one of the weakest tracks in the Queen catologue.

-The two live tracks are pale shadows of the original versions.

-If you buy this collection, you're missing out on all the great stuff Queen did in their later years. No Queen collection is complete without "These Are The Days Of Our Lives", "Radio Ga Ga", "The Miracle", "Hammer To Fall", "The Show Must Go On" and "I Want It All", to name a few of the great tracks from their later years

Overall, if you're only interested in Queen's early years and Queen's early years alone, than this is an ideal collection. But if you want more, there are better collections on the market.
on August 18, 2004
This should've been a slam dunk, but the compilers decided to stick on 2 live cuts of Queen classics, "Under Pressure"(live 1982 WITHOUT David Bowie), and a 1982 live "Tie Your Mother Down". So my suggestion: download those and eliminate the 2 live ones, and you'll have the ultimate single Queen hits CD. But shouldn't the compilers have done that instead? Sneaky record company Greatest Hits CD tricks. Song by song info are the only liner notes. A good starter for those interested in Queen. But take my advice on the 2 live ones.
on August 15, 2006
This is a great way for people to be introduced to the band that is Queen. I'll rate each song and tell what kind of music it is(since they covered so many styles).

1. Bohemian Rhapsody 6/5 Soft Rock,Opera(don't ask!),Hard Rock.

2. Another One Bites The Dust 5/5 Dance,Funk

3. Killer Queen 5/5 Classical,Classic Rock

4. Fat Bottomed Girls 5/5 Country, Rock

5. Bicycle Race 3/5 I'm not quite sure what it is...

6. You're My Best Friend 5/5 Soft Rock

18. I'm In Love With My Car 5/5 Hard Rock

19. Under Pressure 4/5 Soft Rock

20. Tie Your Mother Down 4/5 Hard Rock
on October 6, 2004
Queen-Greatest hits (We will rock you) was released to coicide with the opening of the musical "We Will Rock You" in America. It features the same track listing as the original release (excluding Under Pressure, the studio version) in '81 but contains a few new suprises; "I'm in Love with My Car" (originally released on A Night At The Opera '75) and two live tracks "Tie Your Mother Down" and "Under Pressure" (From the upcoming DVD 'Live at Milton Keynes 1982').

The collection also has a corresponding DVD featuring 2 live performances:

Somebody to Love - Queen with George Michael at the 'Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.

The Show Must Go On - Queen with Elton John (vocals) live in '97.

Why should you buy something that has already been out there in 4 other incarnations over 20 years? Well, I'm glad you asked. Let me tell you...!

After listening to the first vocal line of Bohemian Rhapsody you can tell right away that this new collection is unique. The digital restoration of these 'seasoned' recordings has cleared up all of the original tape hiss, and it features new 'mixes' on every track. The vocals have been cleaned up and the bass has been brought up as well to make these tracks sound better in our modern stereo systems. This is most present on the new mix of "Another One Bites The Dust". Where some songs are too trebbley or have too much 'mid range', these new mixes have almost made a 'colourful' sound to each song. Even the new music of today has yet to sound this clear and crisp!!

The addition of "I'm In Love With My Car" is an odd choice, but it works. (The song has recently been used by Jaguar in a series of Television commercials bringing attention to the song once again!) Now, the live tracks sound clear, but they definately are not the best recordings we've heard from Queen. (These were released to showcase the soon to be released "Live at Milton Keynes DVD). The inclusion of the live tracks is why I have given this a 4 star rating. Your best bet for the ultimate live recordings of these songs is by picking up "Queen-Live at Wembley Stadium".

Yes, it's just another incarnation of the Queen Greatest Hits train (The 5th to be exact... '81, '91 (american version), '98 (Gold edition), and '00 (Platinum edition). But hopefully this is a precurser for all of their releases in the times to come... Lets hope they follow this up with an anthology of rarities or wonderful album cuts!

All the Best, The AndyMan!
on November 16, 2006
This album consists of all the songs featured in Queen's 1981 original Greatest Hits album and three extra tracks : Under Pressure , Queen's great 1981 smash hit originally done jointly with David Bowie , 1976 hard Rocker Tie your Mother Down

It includes all of Queen's top 20 hits between 1974 and 1980.

Personal favourites include:

The classic rock opera masterpiece Bohemian Rhapsody (1975)

The debonair Killer Queen (1974)

The rollicking Fat Bottomed Girls (1978)

The laidback You're My Best Friend (1975)

The glam rock Seven Seas of Rhye (1974)

The funky Don't Stop Me Now (1978)

The hypnotic Somebody To Love (1976)

the whimsical Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy (1976)

and hard Rocker Tie your Mother Down (1976)

I would have suggested I'm In Love With My Car (1975) (one of my least favourites) be replaced with Keep Yourself Alive

(1973) or Spread Yor Wings (1977).
on May 23, 2015
I'm in the midst of reliving the Memory Lane of the years when I was young and healthy, so I bought Queen and a couple other CDs and some iTunes from the 70's and 80's. Amazon has great prices for these CDS, and I so love the great quality of the sound, music, and singing that technology has bought us! The Greatest Hits, "We Will Rock You" did not disappoint!! It sounds fantastic! It truly has all of the greatest hits that I loved then and still love today! I'm 63, by the way, and I definitely believe that we baby boomers had the VERY BEST MUSIC of all ages in the late 60's, 70's and 80's (with some major exceptions!). Nothing compares with our baby-boomer music today!!!! ROCK ON!
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2011
I saw this on sale for five bucks, and many of the songs on here are ones I'd be willing to pay a buck each for anyways, so buying the entire album for a buck is a no-brainer. On a side note, I did it right after Amazon announced their cloud streaming services so this is not only stored there for streaming ANYWHERE but by purchasing an album they upped by "free" storage from 5GB to 20GB, and this album -- as well as any song purchased from Amazon -- is stored there for free.

I'm not really that much into classic rock anymore, but this is one of the exceptions that I can listen to countless times. I love Bohemian Rhapsody and is one of my favorite songs of all time. We will rock you is of course a mainstay classic. The entire album is a delight to listen to. Well worth the five dollars! I wish most albums this good was priced this well.
on July 17, 2015
I am currently using "Another One Bites the Dust" as a learning tool in order for CPR students to learn what 100 beats per minute sounds like, as that is the suggested pace for chest compressions. Came very well sealed and playable.