Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 221 reviews
on October 17, 2014
I have a Polaris RZR and was looking for something to wear while driving it. I wanted something to protect my head, but I didn't want to wear a full face race style helmet.

After doing some research, the Bern helmets seemed to fit the bill.

When it arrived, I found it to be very light weight, just as it was described. However, when I put it on, it was a little snug and what I feared would end up being too tight. The website measurements indicated that I should be an XL and that is what I ordered.

But, since it was close enough, and a couple of people online indicated that their helmet was snug at purchase but that it fit better and better as it was worn more, I decided to keep it and try to "wear it in."

So, I did what any weird person like myself would do. I wore it while working out for a couple of days while I was doing my T25 workouts. And, sure enough, after a couple of days, it fit perfectly.

Next, I took it out riding during a fairly hot day. After a few minutes of noticing it on my head, it just simple disappeared. I barely noticed it until I paid attention to how cool it was keeping my head, too.

Bottom line, I really like this helmet. It fits perfectly. It's very light weight. It doesn't make me look like a mushroom head like DOT helmets do. It breathes well to keep me cool. A winter kit can be purchased and installed for cold weather use. And, the little flip up visor is nifty. I recommend this helmet.
on March 15, 2014
The good:

* Snug fit
* Protect the sides and back of head, rather than just sitting on top the head
* Sun visor, with padding around the head for extra comfort
* The front vents work well, keeping the head from becoming sweaty while riding without becoming too cool.

The downsides:

* Helmet size to head size measurements are slightly off: The XL size, which according to my head size should've had a bit of extra room, is actually pretty tight.
* Helmet is not as small-profile as advertised.

Overall, the helmet is pretty darned good. While being bigger visually than the advertised "doesn't look like a spaceship!" leads one to believe, it still isn't clunky looking as far as most bike helmets go. It's a simple, clean look. As mentioned, the fit is tighter than the listed sizes, so if you are in the upper range of the listed sizes, consider going the next size up. Fortunately for me, I was in the mid-range so while the helmet is very snug, it's not to the point of being uncomfortable. Just barely tight.
The visor is removable, so in cold weather I pulled it out and was able to squeeze ear covers under it. The visor and padding is one snap-in band, so it does come out easily, and is just as easily replaced. Bern sells their own winter wear accessories, but they are needlessly pricey for my tastes. It's just as easy to use a slim winter hat or ear band once the visor is out. (The helmet is too tight to fit both the visor band and a hat/ear band in together.)

The price isn't entirely cheap, but certainly not as high as other helmets. With this helmet I felt I get my money's worth, and considering the quality and look of the helmet, I think I got a good deal. If you want an affordable but good quality helmet, this should be a helmet to consider. (Just be mindful of the advertised head sizes!)
on February 27, 2014
This helmet feels solid, like it would do an outstanding job of protecting your melon in case of a fall or crash. Only problem is that it looks like you have 2 melons up there. This helmet is not low profile by any stretch of the imagination. I ordered an XL which fits perfectly and it should according to the size chart but this thing looks ridiculous looks like it adds about 4 to 5 inches to the top of my head. Yes I will be keeping it because I am not that fickle about my looks with protective gear on but I believe that when a product is marketed as being something it better hold up to the claim.

3/5 for the quality but false statement about appearance.
on November 25, 2013
I don't often write reviews, but I was really impressed by this helmet. I bought it because I liked the low profile design; as others have aptly noted, it doesn't look completely ridiculous on your head. However, when I took it out of the box, I was immediately impressed by the quality of the materials: the straps, visor and internal lining is all surprisingly well done. The best part though, is the fit. It blew me away, and I am a pretty picky individual. To elaborate, the helmet fits around your head, instead of sitting on top, which feels extremely secure and comfortable. I've never had a bike helmet that I actually enjoy putting on my head, and I've owned many, but I honestly look forward to putting this on before riding. In terms of sizing, definitely go up. I'm a female with what I think is a somewhat small head, and the medium fits great. Overall, the combination of look and fit here could sway even the most stubborn anti-helmet stance, so parents of too-cool teens, or friends of reckless urban riders, give this one a shot. Good luck.
on November 5, 2013
I got this helmet after I spilled in the road in my last helmet. My spaceship helmet slipped up on my spill, and I had a pretty good sized bruise on my eyebrow ridge. I am hoping this won't be an issue with this one.

Measured my head and had no trouble fitting, even though I have a pretty large skull. Chin strap is pretty resistant to size changes, even with hanging the helmet over the handle bars most of the summer. Head felt cool with summer liner, and built in brim was just enough to keep sun out of eyes. This helmet does not feel like it would slip up over your brown in an accident, unlike the spaceship style ones. Luckily I haven't had to test that.

Cloth summer liner and brim are starting to smell from all the biking, but it looks like the liner unsnaps and can be washed. I'll give this a try and update the review.

It's fall and the summer helmet is starting to feel cool, but not cold. I already have a skiing helmet, or else I would be stoked to take this out this winter with a winter liner.
on June 13, 2014
No doubt about it, this thing is sleak and feels great. I have no problems wearing this with confidence, and while I have yet to test it's safety (thankfully), this thing feels as though it cradles all the important parts.

If you haven't tried one on yet I would recommend doing that to confirm your size beforehand (unless you already know your head size) as I have seen others complain about pain after prolonged use. I have yet to feel any discomfort after tons of 8 mile commutes and a longer 25 mile loop in my town.

If you have been on the edge about dropping the cash on one of these, deliberate no more. Your brain will thank you and you won't look like a dork on your ride.
on January 15, 2014
The Bern Brentwood is a great alternative to the usual bicycle helmets you're used to seeing most cyclists wear (if they're wearing a helmet at all). It provides a lot more coverage, especially to the back of the head, and makes me feel very secure when riding. I got this helmet around Christmas so I can't speak of how well-ventilated the helmet is but if you get the winter liner (direct from Bern Unlimited's website) it is a great year-round helmet. The helmet is also a lot lighter than expected, making it comfortable even on longer rides. Great helmet for riding and it seems like it would be good for snowboarding, skiing, or any other activity that you would need a helmet for, making it really the only helmet you'll need.
on August 17, 2013
This helmet is very comfortable & has a very compact profile. I love the way it looks and fits my head. I don't have to look like I'm wearing a space helmet anymore. Yay! The only problem was it arrived with a missing helmet clip. I didn't want to return this helmet just to get the missing clip, so I contacted Bern Unlimited, the manufacturer. I figured I could just order a new clip, but, was very pleasantly surprised to be told that they would ship the missing helmet clip to me for FREE! Now that is customer service! I'm very impressed. The rest of my family have ordered helmets for themselves after my rave review. They have all of us as customers for life now. When I need another helmet I'll be shopping only for Bern helmets from now on. Love the helmet & the great customer service.
on May 9, 2013
I looked and looked at many helmets out there. And most of them, I thought, looked so awful. Most of them look really stupid the way they sit so far up on the head. And the horrible colors, like somehow if they splash disgusting 80's style neon green and pink with little white flakes of stars on it, it will cease to be a terrible looking thing to put on your head.

Well I am not Lance Armstrong and I don't need to shave off .000347 grams off my riding weight. So this helmet is just fine for me. It is very light anyway.

The visor, even though it is small is well designed and does very good to keep the sun out of my eyes. The ventilation holes work just fine also.

I really like the style of this helmet. I don't look like some absurd, LSD alien chicken took an egg-poop on my head.
on May 20, 2013
I ordered this helmet for my husband's bday gift. He and his buddies go riding three times a week through the busy city so I wanted his noggin to stay safe and he didnt want to look like a dweeb so I ordered this one. He likes it a lot. It doesn't make his head look huge like most helmets do. It's light and seems sturdy yet it didn't make his head sweat in the heat. It came in a Bern box with tags and had the visor attached (it can be removed if you want it out). He wears about a 7 1/4 hat and I ordered a Large which seems to be just right. His buddies were asking where he got the helmet cause they like it so in my eyes thats a definite plus. I'm hoping he doesnt test out the strength of the helmet but, if he does, I will update with how well it held up.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.