Customer Reviews: Incipio NGP Case for iPhone 4/4S-Matte Black
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon

Size: iPhone 4 / 4s|Color: black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on August 18, 2010
My search for the best "everyday" iP4 case may finally be over. After having tried several other cases (listed below) and reading reviews of even more, the Incipio NGP Matte is the closest to meeting my needs.

* Apple Bumper- Minimal protection. Reports of scratching steel band and streching after continual use.
* Griffin Reveal Etch- Very nice look and feel, but rubber sides were too loose for my liking.
* Speck Candyshell- Confident about its protection, but too bulky, scratch-prone, and incompatible with most pin connectors.
* Incipio Silicrylic- Precise fit and compatability. Silicone layer picks up lint (removed easily, but still...).

Incipo NGP Matte
- Perfect fit.
- Perfect balance of grip/slickness. Does not attract dust/lint.
- Clean looks.
- Does not hamper LED flash performance.
- Easy to operate phone controls.
- Superb compatability with 3rd party docks and connectors.
- Material is tough to scratch.
- Easy to install/remove.
- Good size lip to lift front screen off surfaces.
- Thick material provides both shock and puncture protection.
- Compatible with screen protectors.

- Case shows marks from being removed from mold (some more than others).
- Thicker than Apple Bumper

If you can live with the slight blemish*, the NGP Matte provides the ideal balance between protection, size, grip, and function. It is easy to put in and out of pockets, provides excellent grip/feel without picking up unecessary dirt/lint and offers clean lines to enhance its attractiveness. The best "everyday" case I have tested so far.

*Mold marks may even be removed with careful dremeling. Proceed at your own risk.
1111 comments| 493 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2010
This little $20 case may be the best purchase I've ever made!! I wish I could give this product 10 stars!!

Let me tell you a brief story:

I previously never had a case on my iPhone 4 before, because I thought the phone was too beautiful to mar with a case. Well that was a huge mistake, because 2 weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my iPhone 4 on the sidewalk and the screen shattered into about a million pieces, the sides of the iPhone were completely crushed in, and it basically looked like my iPhone had been run over by a tank. All this from a minor 4 foot drop out of my hand onto the ground.

I had to purchase a brand new iPhone from the Apple Store to replace my damaged one, and I vowed to always use a case from that point forward.

I had always loved Incipio's cases for my old iPhone 3GS, so I snapped up this NGP case for my iPhone 4. Really nice rubbery material that doesn't stick to your pockets, and feels very solid in your hands.

But I didn't know how well it would protect.

Well, last night I had a chance to find out. I was eating dinner with some friends and I was showing them something in the iPhone. I sneezed, and ridiculously the iPhone went FLYING out of my hands, across the room, bouncing like an acrobat on the HARD TILE FLOOR about 10 times and twirling & flipping in the air in between each bounce. it was HORRIFYING! I was watching it happen in slow motion, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was about a hundred times worse than the minor drop which destroyed my old iPhone 2 weeks prior.

When my new iPhone finally came to a screeching halt about 20 feet away, I was expecting the worst. I was terrified to pick up my iPhone, which was facing down on the hard tile ground. I picked it up, and LO AND BEHOLD, this Incipio NGP case COMPLETELY PROTECTED AND SAVED MY iPhone!!

My iPhone was still in MINT CONDITION... not a SINGLE SCRATCH NOR DENT on the entire phone!! AMAZING!!!! And the case was still completely intact as well... not a single mark on the case either! This case protected my iPhone and was ready to start serving duty again immediately!!

This case is a miracle worker!! I am sold for life on the Incipio NGP cases!!

Thank you, Incipio, for making such an outstanding product!!
1212 comments| 418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
Bought my iPhone 4 recently and was doing some research on cases for the iPhone. I did also personally check with one to many iPhone users who have used several other products and tried their cases on mine. The various products I tried either were flimsy, bulky, ugly looking and bad design. After some extensive research for such a small thing, I purchased this Incipio iPhone 4 case.

What really surprised me is the simplicity of the product and yet something that offers everything I needed.

1. Clean cover and finish (no finger prints)
2. Easy and precise access to all controls (all sides of the phone)
3. Solid Protection and cushioning
4. Firm grip to the phone
5. Scratch resistant (so far haven't had any, my usage is quite rough)

Cons (if you think that protecting your investment is more important, then this may not be a con for you)
1. Adds about 3-4 mm thickness to the phone, but not too much considering other products
2. Looses the side and the back beauty of the product as it is Matte Black
3. Does not offer front screen protection, you may need to protect it with some other screen protection product

Well, for the amount I paid, I think it offers more than what I needed. Its been only 2 weeks of usage so far and hope to test it some more time. Will post some updates after some rough use.

I will certainly recommend this product to users who need a simple and easy to use product to protect their iPhone.

Update - 12/21/2010

One drawback I noticed is that when I tried to plug in non conventional 3.5mm pins for audio out, the pin was not firmly inserted in. I guess the thickness of the material as well as the gap for the hole does not let the pin to be firmly placed. I had to remove the cover and plug the pin in. If you use non conventional audio out, you might want to think twice. Still recommend this product, as it provides great protection and cushion to the phone.

Update - 10/11/2011

My phone dropped off a few times on hard surfaces and not even a scratch. The drawback I previously pointed out is no longer a drawback. I use conventional 3.5 mm pins without having to remove the cover and sometimes blue tooth relay for the audio. Worthy investment of every penny.
22 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
I just reviewed (and returned) the Case-Mate iPhone 4 Jett Metal Case, color=Grey so I thought it would make sense to review the case I replaced it with. The Jett was replacing a Case-Mate Barely There Slim Case for iPhone 4. So this is the third case on my quest toward a perfect iphone 4 case.

I really had a few simple requirements from a case when I started:
1) not bulky or stick to my pocket
2) protect the device from a moderate drop

Along the way, I added a few more grading criteria. (The reason I added them is in parenthesis.)
3) Don't degrade my reception (Jett)
4) protect the screen when placed face-down (barely there)
5) not too slippery (barely-there)
6) appearance (NGP)

A few high-level comparisons between these very different cases are important before I begin my review. The jett case is a metal bumper-style with a lip extending front and rear. This case is a plastic case with full rear and side coverage, and lip extending front. The jett case is not quite 4x the cost of this NGP. The barely-there is the most low profile case I could find, it is fairly slick and does not extend whatsoever to protect the screen.

The NGP ends up being a compromise. Per the above criteria:
1) It is not the lowest profile, but it's not too bulky. (Lose a half-star for bulk.) It is the perfect amount of grip. It feels perfectly smooth, and is easy to remove from pockets. At the same time, it grips fine in the hand. The polymer is much better than a softer rubbery or silicone material in that it does not stretch or stick.
2) It will definitely protect the device. It is not a hard plastic, but in fact it will take a good impact. It also has substantial corners (hence not the lowest profile) but not too obnoxious.
3) It doesn't degrade reception at all (unlike the Jett case which did)
4) It has a good bead around the front, again not the lowest profile, but not too obnoxiously big. So the screen is well protected.
5) As mentioned above, grips perfectly fine in the hand.
6) It is admittedly not a sexy looking case. The Jett looks really freaking slick (although a bit bulkier) whereas the barely-there looks great. This NGP is very plain. Not glittery, not feminine, and not hello-kitty. So it works for me, but definitely its appearance is not up to apple standards and would make Steve Jobs cringe. (So, lose a half-star for appearance.)

One nit is that the fit around the volume buttons is imperfect. It's difficult to explain, but here goes... The volume buttons slightly protrude from the iphone, whereas the inside of the case does not have corresponding cavities to marry up with these buttons. Consequently, the case bulges out very slightly at those buttons. It is easier than it should be to accidentally mash the case and hit a random "volume up or down function". This is acceptable, although they really should have done a better job of it. (So, lose a star for design).

All things considered, this NGP met all of my criteria except for the appearance being a bit bulky or utilitarian. If you are all about apple, this would definitely not be your case. But if your phone spends lots of time in your pocket or in your car cupholder or on your desk and maybe flipped on its face, this is going to keep your phone safe.

Perhaps this is subjective, but I would go as far as to say that the iphone4 is inherently less case-friendly than the iphone3. (assuming you want a full case). Iphone3 has far better looking (and lower profile) full cases due to the rounded back. Iphone4 cases have square backs and generally have flat sides which simply add more material and bulk. I hope the iphone5 returns to the rounded back as the rumors claim.
33 comments| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2011
My husband and I finally took the plunge and decided to purchase iPhones. He works as a freight driver and he is pretty hard on phones. I invested in the best reviewed screen protectors and I thought I should do the same with the case. The Incipio NGP case is a champ. After only 10 days of having the phone he left it on the back bumper of a a very large truck. He proceeded to run over it with the truck and trailer which was weighed at 5000 pounds. He thought for sure the phone was a goner. The phone luckily landed face down and all we can figure is the hard ridged edges kept the screen from getting pressed against the ground. After a quick screen protector change everything was back up and running like it had never been run over. If that isn't a great review I don't know what else is.
55 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2011
I've had this case a little over a month now, and I'm delighted by how well it has performed.

-Easy access to ports and switches, and good tactile feedback for those that are covered by the case
-Comfortable matte, non-sticky texture
-No camera/flash problems
-Lightweight, relatively low-profile
-Snug, secure fit
-Small lip around screen protects from scratches from face-down falls
-Great impact protection*

*This case has held up very well to the kind of abuse only a toddler can dish out. After having my 18-month-old throw my phone around (tile floors, brick walls, concrete, etc.) every chance she gets, I'm happy and surprised to say that both case and phone are still in perfect condition. I am *very* impressed. This isn't the most low-profile case available, but it's a nice balance of minimalism and ruggedness.

Possible Cons:
-May cause screen protectors to bubble/peel (did this to my friend's)
-I've only taken the case off once or twice since I got it and can't comment on the stretch-resistant claim
-Dark ring painted inside the camera opening, probably to counteract flash reflection, that is noticeable on a white iPhone. I don't think it looks bad, but it may bother some.

Overall a great case, especially at this price!
on November 30, 2011
I bought this case for the iPhone 4s in black and have been very happy with my purchase. The case is thick but streamlined to the phone as opposed to other bulkier cases. The case protects the back, sides, and edges of the phone well. The edges on the front of the phone prevent the face to touch a surface when placed face down. This cover only exposes the necessary components such as speakers, switch, and headphone jack and protects the on/off and volume buttons. The ridge design is not only nice to look at visually, it also adds grip to the phone. I also really like the color, which is a true teal. I also purchased a scratch resistant film for the face of the phone, which I recommend for additional protection. Overall, very happy with this case.
on March 6, 2015
I gave it 3 stars because it took almost a month to get the case, there is a teeny tiny gap at the top because it just wouldn't close in place( it is barely noticeable though), and if you try to use your flash to take pictures it kind of messes up at the bottom because of the flash reflecting off of the circle around it on the back. Also, it takes a lot of force to close the case. When you are putting your phone in the case make sure to unscrew the little thingy that is in the headphone jack to make it easier. Your regular headphones/ear-buds will not work for your phone with the case on so you are going to need to use the headphone jack extension. Attached to that is a back up cover for the headphone jack (which should come with your case....along with a cloth and a small triangular type tool that helps open the case). The color of the case in person to me is more of a dark turquoise or teal type of blue. The pictures I took made it look wayyyy more blue than it really it is. If people have trouble hearing you just open up the charging port and that should help. Mine didn't have that issue. I love this case. I needed a durable case and this was a great solution. I do NOT plan on taking it in water (nor did I do the water test) lol I am solely using this as a regular durable phone case. This case is cheap that's what you are paying for lol so do not buy this product if you are thinking it is a legit life proof case because its not. This is a cheaper, more affordable, and generic alternative to the real thing.
review image review image review image
on October 14, 2011
Probably the best case I've ever used. It's not sticky at all, so it won't stick in your pocket, and feels very smooth. Doesn't collect dust like a lot of other cases do, and feels very firm in the hand. And yes, it fits the iPhone 4S.
on October 14, 2011
I can confirm that this case works perfectly with the Verizon iPhone 4S.

Great case! Doesn't attract dirt or lint, durable...I'm very happy.