Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,946 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,373 reviews
on May 20, 2014
In our family, some are big fans of Tolkien, some didn't care for the books. This film managed to delight both camps. As for me, I started the movie fully expecting to walk away and find something else to do, because I easily get turned off/bored by action movies and violence. This time, I was glued to the screen for the whole 3 hours. Although there are violent scenes, the editing is so skillful, that I never got to my usual "OK, I get the point. . . move on".

This movie is worth watching for the sets alone.
This movie is worth watching for the acting alone.
This movie is worth watching for the editing alone.
This movie is worth watching for the cinematography alone.
When you put them all together, it's a wonderful experience.
Oh, yeah, and the story works too ;-)
on April 11, 2017
I think what I appreciate the most is the scale of creation that went into creating this world. I believe that several hundred million dollars were spent to make the three movies. And that's what's inspiring. How much more fun would it be to live there. Two hundred million is enough to buy and create much of the landscape for human living, and it's exciting to start thinking about movies that could be turned into people's lives less expensively than creating the movie. I love the idea of movie hybrids along those lines. Thanks for a great movie.
on February 6, 2017
By far the best of the series. I can watch this anytime. The extended version is the way to go for more on the story. Would recommend for any fantasy fan and Tolkien fan.
on February 4, 2017
OH MY GOSH I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THIS MOVIE! I bought this DVD as a replacement for my other FotR extended edition DVD set when the DVDs became scratched from so much use and the box got all destroyed from so much love. The theatrical release is already really good, but having the extended edition makes it so much better! And it's so cool to have all those hours of making-of that give a really good glimpse into how the movie was made!
on May 16, 2016
I've already reviewed the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films elsewhere (in short: 5 stars, the 6 movies that justify the existence of the film industry), so let's focus here specifically on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Two-Disc Widescreen Theatrical Edition) . The key difference between this and other releases is the special features, most of which are, within my experience, unique to this edition.

The special features disc includes...

Welcome to Middle-earth: Houton Mifflin In-Store Special
Quest for the Ring: FOX TV Special
A Passage to Middle-earth: SCI-FI Channel Special
lordoftherings.net Featurettes
Theatrical Trailers
TV spots
Enya "May It Be" Music Video
Special Extended DVD Edition Preview
Behind the Scenes Preview of "The Two Towers"
The Two Towers Video Game Preview by EA

... and of these, the first three special productions and the lordoftherings.net Featurettes are the best part. All of the special productions are things I have not seen in any other DVD or Blu-ray package. The lordofthe rings.net Featurettes are a collection of all the short (5 or 6 minutes) films that appeared on the films' official web site during the production of the movies, and I have not seen them anywhere else--on no other disc package, not on YouTube, and no longer of the film's web site.

There are some bits that appear in other short productions and special features, but in all cases, these specials and featurettes give us a fresh look at the production of the movies, providing information and insights we can find nowhere else.
on May 22, 2015
I own the two following films in the sequel, but not this one. I will purchase it soon, because it is such a wonderful movie with beautiful scenery, magic, courage, and great characters. Peter Jackson has really created a amazing movie series which, in my opinion, is one that people will watch over and over for many years. I know that I never get tired of it! There is really something for everyone in this film, whether it is about courage, kindness, companionship, magic, gorgeous settings and beautiful costumes, amazing acting....well, I could go on and on! I would say that this series of films, beginning with "The Fellowship of the Ring" has to be up there as my all time favorite films.
on March 21, 2013
Let me preface this with a couple of things: I've never read the books; my husband, on the other hand, is a Tolkien fan and feared the movies would not do the book justice; out of deference for my husband, I've never seen the movies.... until recently.

I downloaded The Fellowship of the Ring and watched it on my Kindle and found it so fascinating I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Personally, I loath movies that last go past the 120 min. mark because I find them obnoxiously long for absolutely no reason but to be long. The Fellowship of the Ring was long but for good reason and I fell in love with the world. So much so, that I ordered the extended version box-set of The Lord of the Rings and watched those. Much to my husband's dismay (and he did point out where the movies should have added things and other things that were silly add-ons) he enjoyed them as well.

I'm now reading the books, and I'm just as enthralled with them as I was with the movies.
on August 19, 2013
The impact of the First and Second World Wars on British Literature is a subject that is not fully explored. To this reader, The Lord of the Rings Series is one such work of literature where the impact of those terrible conflicts can be felt. J. R. R. Tolkien, the author of the works upon which this movie is based was himself a veteran of the First World War. Critical to this idea is that there is a sense of a past, unfinished conflict that is going to fought again.

The Fellowship of the Ring explains the past conflict and brings the rising tension to the fore. To meet the challenge of the coming war a group of different races of Middle Earth band together to destroy an evil ring.

Thus the adventure starts. This movie carefully develops the characters and leads the viewer on the ups and downs of the initial quest. Eventually, Frodo must leave the fellowship and seek to destroy the ring on his own.

A great movie, each time one sees the film, one discovers something new.
on April 28, 2017
I'm a huge fan of 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' movies. I read The Hobbit when I was a little girl and my kids have as well. I think everyone should at least give these movies/stories a try. Just remember that with longer story lines like these, there's a good bit of difference in activity level and type from one film to the next. Certainly worth taking the time, in my opinion!
J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a classic story of high adventure and the triumph of good over evil, all set in the mythical fantasy world of Middle Earth. The saga is filled with some of the most memorable characters in literature, including hobbits, humans, dwarves, elves, orcs, ents, wizards, and witches. Epic battles are fought throughout the story, from Weathertop, where Frodo is seriously injured, to the final clash outside the Black Gate of Mordor.

The three films are Director Peter Jackson's crowning glory. They make a magnificent trilogy, and I know my wife and I have watched all three of the films at least a dozen times. Our favorite of the three is the concluding film, The Return of the King, but really, they're all fabulously entertaining movies. Having said that though, I have to say this: Those who have only seen the film versions of the three LOTR books owe it to themselves to read the trilogy. There was so much more in the books that could not be shown in the films due to time constraints. For example, in The Return of the King, the third book of the trilogy, there is a whole mini-story of what happens to the hobbits in the Shire after Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin return home. Even after defeating the Dark Lord Sauron, there was more evil to be confronted in the Shire, and from a most unexpected source.