Customer Reviews: Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape, 1.88 x 800 Inches (142)
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon Fit for Fall Save on select BOB strollers, Car Seats & Accessories

Color: Red Dispenser|Style: Clear Tape|Change
Price:$0.45 - $99.99

on January 2, 2014
For some reason I thought it was going to be one of those big rolls but it's about half the size. That's fine though because I'm using it on small packages anyway. It is very strong tape and I like that it comes with the cutter so no more trying to tape and find scissors at the same time.
review image
on May 15, 2012
I really like this small roll because it fits easily in my small drawer; and it wraps packages very firmly. The dispenser works perfectly once you get the hang of it. You hold it by the rough edges near the cutter and it unrolls easily. When you cut it, don't apply even pressure, but do so at an angle so the starts at one edge or the other. I only wrap packages now and then so it is perfect for me. If you need to wrap a LOT of packages, Scotch makes larger rolls and you can buy them in sets of 3.

I only wish they sold the small rolls without the dispenser, it feels wasteful to get a new dispenser each time when I could be reusing the same one for several rolls before the cutter began to get dull.
on September 9, 2013
In a nutshell this is a very thick tape. Before you purchase said tape, please for the love of all tapey goodness read the product dimension. The width is less than 2-inches. The length (entire roll of tape) is about 800 inches, so it is about 66-feet of tape. If you need wider or longer tape then move on to the next tape. Just close this chapter in your life. This tape isn't for you... move on.. move.. on. Don't look back.. just move on.

Anyways, when you use it you'll have that sense of security because it is so thick. I mean, really it is thick. The downside is that this tape isn't really sticky. You really have to press down to make sure that the tape is on the package. Sometimes the tape doesn't stick onto the cutter thingy. Would I recommend this tape in particular? Yeah, sure.. if you don't rarely need to use packing tape. There's other tape out there in this big bad world of ours that can do a better job.. and probably cheaper... plus there's this thing called a scissor to cut the tape off.

Who cares if this tape is loud when you use it? I don't. If I did then I wouldn't have bought this tape. I would've bought the scotch tape that sole purpose was to be silent tape/low noise tape.

I gave this 5/5 stars because it did the job that it was intended to do.
I also found out that you can subscribe to the 6-pack version: Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 800 Inches, 6 Rolls with Dispenser (142-6)
on February 11, 2016
I've tried generic brands, Scotch mailing tape, and most recently a packing tape by OfficeMax. The Scotch Heavy Duty is thicker than any other plastic tape I have used. In some ways I appreciate the thin, generic tapes, because their thinness allows them to adhere to the package more securely. But they are not very strong. The roll of Scotch mailing tape was thick but did not adhere as well as I would have liked. The OfficeMax tape is fine. This Heavy Duty tape is sturdier than all the rest, though, and it sticks very well. This makes it ideal for heavy boxes, particularly for storage, but not as good as paper tape for shipping heavy boxes.

The dispenser is well-designed, as long as you keep your fingers away from the cutting edge. The serrated edge cuts the tape easily, and there are two plastic hooks that catch the end of your tape, so it neither sticks to itself or to the blade. This works better on the Scotch dispenser than on other brands I have experienced. The dispenser works fine for dragging the tape across the top of a box, but all this extra plastic does seem wasteful, and the rolls with the dispensers are not very big. If you're moving, you will probably be better off with the larger rolls without dispenser.
on June 26, 2016
I always purchase this exact item and this time was horrible. As soon as you start to pull it out the tape comes apart. I went through several layers trying to get it to work, but it continued to come apart and rip in different spots. It is so weak.
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2016
I have used the Scotch brand packaging tape dispenser and tape for years and I love it. It is easy to use, you can do it one handed, and once they are taped they don't come open until you cut them open.
I have used the tape to repair things like a broken center pole on my Christmas tree, that was several years ago and it is still holding.
I also ship on Ebay and use this tape to close the boxes and tape on the labels. I tape over the address section of the labels so they do not smear if they get wet plus it closes those boxes tightly and they do not come open during mailing.
In a pinch, I have also cut small strips and used it to tape wrapping paper on Christmas presents.
I can use the dispenser one handed leaving my other hand free to hold the package or item being taped in place.
I would recommend this tape and dispenser to anyone requiring the use of a packaging tape.
on September 16, 2016
This is usually the only packing tape I buy. There was a small problem with this one. There was no starter on it. There was a silver strip but not at the beginning, it was underneath the first roll of the tape where you couldn't get at it. I had a heck of a time getting it started. Ltitle pices ca me off aND i had to juse be pattention aND do it across lt little by little. I'm wondering if this is the new way they are making it or if someone had used some. It won't stop me from buying it again but I'll get it at a store so I can see if it has a starter.
on December 31, 2014
Dispenser is relatively useless but the tape is thick and super-sticky. I trusted some very heavy packages to this product this year, even though I had the option to use clear duct tape. I'm on the fence now that I've tried both products, but as a 30+ year devotion to duct tape, considering another product as similarly worthy is quite a leap
on December 4, 2012
Luckily, Amazon gave me a complete credit for the item without requiring me to return it. I bought this because my current packing tape dispenser has seen better days. Unfortunately, this roll of tape is tiny and will not fit regular rolls of packing tape. See my customer image above. So if you're looking for more than just a small bit of packing tape with a tiny dispenser, look elsewhere.
review image
on May 17, 2015
Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape stands up to the toughest sealing / packing needs. The only dependable brand I use. The 2" wide tape with dispenser is so handy & convenient. I have several around the house.