Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 504 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 561 reviews
on June 6, 2011
I purchased the H17 before and loved it. It didn't make it through the spin cycle so I had to purchase another bluetooth and I knew I wanted this one again. I got the H17txt this time and I like it! I have a BB Bold so I get the txts read to me but I cannot dictate a response. Other phones allow you to do that. It works. I haven't really done a lot of long distance driving since I got this so I haven't really tested that feature completely.

Making and receiving calls works well. I can hear and they can hear me. Connection with the device is very quick. It takes maybe 5 seconds at the most. When the phone starts ringing, you can turn it on and it will pick up the call before it goes to voicemail. It's small and light and fits in my pocket.

When I had the H17 I used the ear hook that is pictured. That worked well and was comfortable for long periods of time. It spins around and folds down so it is compact for you pocket. Since I purchased the H17txt, I tried one of the inside ear thingies. It fits in your ear and has a loop that helps it stay in your ear. I was surprised how well it worked for my ear. I guess because the H17txt is so light, it doesn't take much to hold it in place. It's just a little bigger with the thingy versus the ear hook because the ear hook folds down, but I don't mind it.

You can connect this to two phones or two bluetooth devices at the same time which means two phones separately too of course. I have it programed to hook up to my computer. My cell doesn't work in my house, but since I have WiFi and the ability to make and receive work phone calls on my laptop I never miss a beat using the H17txt to make calls with my computer. I would hate to have a device that could only hook up to one device at a time.

It does recognize voice dialing. I'm sure the phone you're using has a lot to do with it, but it works with my phone.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that mine is a little buggier than the H17 I had before. On two occasions it has locked up to where it would not connect to a device or do anything. The light was on and no matter if I opened it or closed it nothing changed. I had to plug it into the charger for it to reset. This would only be a problem if I was stuck in an airport or anywhere without my charger. This has only happened twice.

Battery life is excellent. I never had to charge it more than once in a day. Most of the time I can give it two days of heavy use. Sometimes over a week of occasional use. It exceeds my expectations in that regard.

I would definitely purchase this again if it goes through the spin cycle again. It's small, seamless, works all the time (except for those two buggy times) and has excellent battery life.
on March 25, 2013
This is easily the best bluetooth headset I've ever had. It has great clarity, both for me and for the people calling me. The noise canceling seems to work really well in my loud Jeep.

It connects to my computer in the house when I drive up the driveway in the car; that's how good the range is.

OTOH, this thing is marketed for it's ability to read text messages to you and compose text messages by voice recognition. The voice recognition is okay. Not fabulous, but I guess about on par with other voice recognition stuff I've used.

Here's the rub: The free version of the voice recognition app is limited to 20 text messages and it puts something like "SENT VIA MOTOROLA MOTOSPEAK(TM)" at the bottom of all of your messages. The paid version is not just a single app that you pay for and you're done. It's a subscription-based service. I don't remember what it costs now, but it was a monthly charge. Not a monthly charge to send text messages, mind you. A monthly fee *just* to be able to use the voice recognition software.

I don't know, maybe it has to use a remote server to process your voice or something, so maybe it's a legitimate charge, but it's not mentioned *anywhere* on the packaging, web site, or the documentation that you're expected to pay monthly for that service, or that you're going to have to pay at all.

Plus, the software is kind of intrusive and prevents all of the other voice recognition stuff on your phone from using the headset. So, if you like using voice commands on your phone, you kind of can't while their stuff is installed.

So, if you can get it for the price of a normal bluetooth headset, go for it. It's a really good device. Just don't expect to be dictating any text messages with it.
on November 17, 2016
I like Motorola products. I've purchased several of these over the years. But every one of these I've purchased have one problem and I have not been able to find a replacement piece. It's the little mesh screen thing. It's only stuck on with sticky stuff of some sort. After some usage, (sometimes only months), it will slide partway off or drop off completely. You can't get more of these and I've searched. I won't use the device without the screen thingy because I don't want to have the sticky stuff in my ear.

I really wish they'd do something to attach the screen permanently. I can't use the in the ear kind of earpieces. I need something that stays outside of the ear like this one does. Unfortunately, it is too expensive to keep buying every time the screen falls off.
on August 2, 2013
I had used Motorola H17 from 2009 until last year when it just stopped working one day, it was a great product. Now when you buy a newer version of a product, you expect it to be better, right?

Wrong! I am very confident that this is the worst bluetooth headset ever made since the invention of bluetooth technology. Everytime I call someone, the BLUETOOTH WILL TRANSFER THE VOICE BACK TO THE CELLPHONE SPEAKER...I have to take the phone out and force it to transfer back to the headset. SOUND QUALITY IS VERY BAD FOR THE LISTENER, I was almost shouting to make myself heard.

Adding fancy texting functionality is useless if it cannot perform the basic functions of bluetooth headset. But Motorola fails even in this area, thanks to the bug ridden Motospeak app. When I say "Text person1", it will understand me very well but when it asks me to dictate the message, for some reason it will stop listening. Even the other times when it listened to my message and sent the text, other bugs surfaced. If you look at your phone's texting app, all the texts sent via Motospeak are shown as "sending", even if they have gone out. But the problem is, sometimes they do not go out...so YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHETHER THE TEXT WAS SENT OR NOT, except for calling the person to confirm. But the worst part is, IT WILL ALSO BLOCK THE TEXTS YOU TRY TO SEND FROM YOUR DEFAULT TEXTING APP! I had to manually shut Motospeak app down to resume texting service.

Combination of bad sound quality and bug ridden Motospeak app makes this a horrible product. Will be returning this.
on July 29, 2015
I have had the Motorola H17 headset for a long time, and when it went through the wash I decided to upgrade to the H17txt. While the ability to hear texts on my headset would be wonderful, I do have a few items that caused some disappointment.

When I purchased this, it said "Retail Packaging" so I figured it would come in the box with the instructions. What I received was a headset and charging cable in bubble wrap, with no retail packaging, no marketing materials or paperwork, and I had to guess on how to connect it to my phone (which really isn't that hard). After this time, I had to search online to find out how to connect the headset in a way that would allow me to take advantage of the texting feature.

Due to the lack of "included" information and packaging that I was promised upon my order, I have given this 3 stars due to the mis-marketing of this headset. I will be keeping it because I do like the headset, but the lower rating is purely due to the lack of packaging and materials that I would expect when purchasing something with "Retail Packaging."
on June 12, 2014
I purchased 2 units in Nov 13. Both are now broken at the hinge. The design is typical of today's engineers, POOR. After the first broke, I opened the second box and was much more cautious when opening and closing the boom. Yesterday I noticed one hinge piece was gone and the boom no longer functional. In my opinion, Motorola products have gone downhill after the old H850 series boom headsets. I was happy with now this unit worked but it isn't worth my time to have to deal with call-centers to get replacements. Motorola should recall all these units and make something that will at least last a year. But then that is contrary to the modern "resell" mode of the greedy businesses of today. Make it good and reliable and customers will come back. Shiny, pretty, shoddy crap can never be more than just crap.

Update: Yes, these are fantastic when working, better than my other sets but they are not durable. AND the price has doubled over the past year. I paid around $20-25 and now they are over $60.
on December 28, 2011
I've owned this headset now for just a couple weeks shy of a year and I'm debating buying another one. I think with the amount of usage and time of ownership, it provides me with a good basis for the review of this item. I've owned Motorola headsets in the past and generally liked them. It seemed that the design was always something I wanted, the functionality was there, but the quality fell a bit short. This follows along those same lines (more on that in a moment).

First the pros:

I'll start with battery life. I use the headset almost daily, but my usage each day varies. On a light day, I may take one or two calls at 5 to 15 minutes each. On a busy day, which is usually 2 or 3 days a week, I'll be on the phone multiple times a day for anywhere from 15 minutes up to 2 or 3 hours per call. The battery in this little thing is great. It always surprises me when I can be on the phone for hours on end since the device is so small. After 6 months of ownership, the battery was still functioning as expected without a hitch or loss of life from what I could tell. It also charges much quicker than I'd expect, which is a big plus.

The design of the unit is something I really like. It's small size means I can easily keep it in my pocket and use it when need be. Because of that, it's pretty much carried around with me daily. The boom feature helps the device stay powered off when not in use. The small size also makes it easy to wear for long periods of time.

The sound quality is great on my end, and I'm very pleased with the volume level. I'm sometimes in noisy environments which would normally make it hard to hear the caller, but with this, it's plenty loud enough. From what my callers tell me, the noise cancelling feature is in general, just fair. It seems to do okay with medium level background noise or constant noise. Other times when I'm outside and there's a gust of wind or I'm doing dishes the other person on the call with comment on the loud noises. This can also cause the volume to increase which, at times, can be a bit too loud for me.

Some of the miscellaneous features are a nice touch. I like the ability to pair multiple phones (although I rarely use it), and the pleasant way it reports the battery life on boot up is handy. I used the motospeak app in the past and didn't really find a need for it so I've stopped using it, but I suppose it could come in handy.

Now for the negatives...

I'll start with product quality. As with Motorola's headsets I've owned the past (models H700 and H710), they work great for a while and then start to fail. This one has that same "feature". After about 9 months of ownership, I would open the boom and the headset would "fail to boot". On power up, there's normally a series of tones, then it informs the user which phone is connected (phone one or two) and the battery level. This at times would stop working which would then cause the headset to fail to properly pair with devices at times or other times it would not transmit audio either incoming or outgoing properly. As a workaround, I found I could just plug it back into the charger, even if the battery was full, for about 10 seconds and it would function normally for a while. This would last anywhere from a day to a week before I'd have to use the workaround again. After a few weeks of this, I finally got fed up and called Motorola. It took about ten minutes on the phone with them, and they sent me the replacement device. I've been using the replacement now for about 2 to 3 months and it seems fine. The device they sent seemed to be in new retail packaging which was nice. The only issue I've had with the replacement so far has been that the plastic piece that goes over my ear broke in my pocket one day recently. Luckily Motorola provides different sizes and I've been doing fine with one of the other ones.

My other complaint is the packaging. This is a pretty minor gripe though. This headset costs a fair amount, and I can understand having a fancy package to display it in a store. The downside is how wasteful it is...if you've bought this, you know what I mean. If I buy another one, I'll post pictures. It almost seems like the package is made out of aluminum with quite a bit of hard plastic to proudly display this work of art. Less money should be spent on the box and more on making the headset more durable and lasting.

In summary, I'd recommend buying this, but a word of caution on the quality of the unit. Perhaps I have bad luck, but Motorola headsets don't seem to be built for years of usage. Since I use mine so much, I'm considering buying a second as a backup. I'd hate to be without mine for more than a day. Hope this helps!
on March 10, 2012
After a number of bluetooth headsets, I simply have to wonder - is there a great one out there? Uugghh.

Pros (4-5):
* Inner ear piece fit = 4. Stays put pretty darned good, can wear for pretty decent stretches w/o 'too' much discomfort.
* Voice prompts = 4. Love the battery level and connection indicators, wouldn't buy one w/o that now. Does get annoying sometimes though when it loses connection for whatever strange reason then tells you it's disconnected, then reconnected ...

* Battery life = 4. No idea how long, hours for sure, but seems to last me plenty before dying.
* Charge time = 5. Charges amazingly quickly.

Neutral (3):
* Clarity = 3. Can usually hear other people really well, and they report the same, again, usually. However, I do get some major static sometimes, no clue why except I 'think' it might be when the battery's getting low, and even though the voice prompt tells you when it's getting low (I do love that feature especially), I think it sometimes is off on that and even though it's not yet said anything, it's getting weak.
* Comfort = 3. Not consistent. I use the inner ear piece which fits snug and doesn't move, usually, but sometimes have to fiddle with a few too many times to get it to stay put. Can wear for an okay amount of time without discomfort, maybe about 30-60 minutes or so.

Cons (1-2):
* Noise cancellation = 2. People always complain if rattle paper or mess with anything remotely noisy in the background.

All in all, it's a keeper, but boy I'd love to be like Goldilocks and find the perfect one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 3, 2013
Having attempted to get one of these three times now, the first without retail packaging (ended up broken on delivery) and now this one (purchased multiple times) has been a game of frustration. First the good, the setup worked easily enough as it connects pretty effortlessly with an android phone. Having owned an older model of the motorola headset that lasted a long time, I quickly decided once my old one passed into the electronic land in the sky, that I wanted to get the newer smaller more compact version that has since replaced my old one years before, but the quality of these devices seem to be in decline since the original flip headset motorola released years ago. The H15 lasted barely a year before stopping to work and a replacement broke quickly as well. I decided to give this H17 a chance and as I previously stated the first from an amazon subseller arrived in a plastic bag and smashed to bits and now this one direct from Amazon in the retail packaging and while it arrived in one piece, the microphone is a defective mess. I wish I could give this a better review as I love the design of the product and loved my original motorola flip headset the H700 but since then I have been nothing but frustrated with the future evolutions of this product.

Update: Tried to give this a chance by ordering another one and the mic didn't work on this one either. On another, the flip out piece broke within two days.
on December 14, 2013
Been using it for a couple of weeks now after I lost my platornics M100. My usage/day: car + work, wear it ~6h, talk ~4h. I would equally recommend either one.

Pros
+ very easy to pair first phone
+ excellent hearing volume
+ no complaints from other end to my speaking volume - which was a minus with my other bt.
+ actively paired to 2 phones at the same time, once I set it up, no difficulties in re-connecting.
+ the close/open saves battery

Cons
- static at high volume - not a bother if vol is ~half.
- pulled my hair off before I set up multi-point pairing - never figured out what got it finally working!
- Upon opening the bt, takes 4-5 rings b4 it pairs (but the + is opening and waiting automatically answers the incoming call)

Ambivalent
? still cannot mute the phone from bt - someone suggested to install "moto software?" havent tried that.
? in-ear-gel is ok, fell in my car a couple of times when I was negotiating some V-turns : ), have to try the flexi-ear-loop-thingie.
? Decent battery life, but the voice only does t-shirt sizes - Hi, Med Low, M-100 used to say #hrs of talk time left.