Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 26, 2011
I bought the 1000VA model in this PFC series about a month ago to replace a fading APC Back-UPS ES 725. So far, performance has been encouraging.

My first impression upon opening the cleverly double-boxed packaging was that the picture size was deceiving. This CyberPower looks large. It's not. It's dwarfed by my standard mid-ATX towers. Eyeballed relative to one, it's about half the width, half the height, and two-thirds the depth. Positively petite for a tower UPS and roughly the size of the APC it replaced were that one upturned. Extras include a short coaxial cable and an RJ-11 phone wire. Build quality seems quite good, with an attractive combination of gloss and matte black plastic. Once booted, the UPS is completely silent with mains power. It buzzes quietly and runs a small, audible internal fan when on battery.

That said, let's drill down the major features of the PFC series:

Line-interactive - In the consumer world, there are three major types of UPS units: standby, line-interactive, and double conversion ("online"). Standby runs wall power straight to the device with minimal filtering unless it detects a major voltage change. Then it switches to battery. Line-interactive is the same, except with a filtering transformer between the wall and the device to handle most voltage variations. In an area with dirty power, line-interactive units won't cycle to battery power as often. With clean power, there's no practical difference between the two. Double-conversion means the battery always powers the device and wall power only charges the battery. The isolation is helpful for sensitive things, but less efficient because the wall power is perpetually converted from AC to DC and back to AC. The heavy-duty inverter this type requires also tends to increase cost and noise.

Some areas will have greater voltage fluctuation than others. If you're in California and surrounded by industrial machinery, line-interactive or double-conversion is where you want to be.

Sine wave - When a UPS with this feature is on battery power, the cycling frequency of the AC it produces will be a smooth sine wave instead of a blocky approximation. (The quality of this approximation scales with price; the inverters in cheaper UPS models tend to produce pretty ghastly waveforms.) Most devices don't care. Some with a direct current path may, as will electric motors and instruments that derive their timing from the power frequency. The majority of computer power supplies will work fine with any UPS, but those with active power factor correction may turn off if they encounter a particularly poor sine approximation. If the system continues to run after the UPS switches to battery, and it probably will if it's older or inexpensive, you're in the clear. Pure sine output is compatible with all computers and skirts the issue entirely.

This UPS has a capacity of 600W and 1000VA. You can ignore the second number if your hardware is recent or expensive. In the grand old days when the real power use of a computer (W) was 40% less than the apparent load to the power grid (VA), it made sense to specify more VA capacity than W. Now, though, with power factor correction (an attempt make the ratio of W:VA closer to 1:1) standard for years, the actual load is likely to be 90% or more of the apparent load. A 200W computer will probably use 200-225VA of capacity. You're therefore likely to reach the watt limit well before the one for VA.

Here's how the PFC models compare in maximum capacity, battery size, and runtime:

CP850: 510W max, 1 x 7 amp-hours = 8 min @ 255W, 2 min @ 510W
CP1000: 600W max, 1 x 9 amp-hours = 9 min @ 300W, 3 min @ 600W
CP1350: 810W max, 2 x 7 amp-hours = 9 min @ 405W, 3 min @ 810W
CP1500: 900W max, 2 x 8.5 amp-hours = 11 min @ 450W, 2 min @ 900W

While the latter two have USB charging ports and more physical size to accommodate an extra battery, all four otherwise share the same feature set.

Runtime doesn't scale linearly with load. A CP1500 feeding 100W may well last 60 minutes. At 900W, it'll last 2 minutes, best case. That's a factor of 30 difference in runtime for only 9 times more load. To ensure your system stays on long enough to shut down properly, the expected draw shouldn't be more than about 70% of the maximum capacity. CyberPower's software can be configured to automatically shut down any single system via USB or serial, though the comments attached to this review note that older versions may write excessively to SSDs.

In my case, I've got a 12-drive file server, tower PC, router, switch, 24" LCD, and 32" LCD plugged in. The front-panel UPS LCD tells me that is an idle load of about 340W and 350VA. Projected runtime on my CP1000 is 6 minutes. A typical single computer and LCD monitor will draw 125W together. Gaming systems and larger screens, perhaps 150W-250W at idle. Most people with one system will find the CP850 adequate if they shut down soon after saving open work. Multiple systems or attempting to ride out a power loss would benefit from the CP1350 or above.

So how does the CP1000 perform? It's hard to say. It feels satisfyingly heavy even without the battery, but as I haven't torn it apart, it could well be filled with peanut brittle. There haven't been any lightning strikes, so the 1,030 joule surge rating (three times APC's typical rating) remains untested. Actually, the only stressor has been my laser printer. It's plugged into the same wall socket and when it heats up, the lights flicker and the UPS trips.

The switchover time from mains to battery isn't quite as fast with this Cyberpower. I know that because my APC caused a slight flicker on my LCD TV. This one gives a severe flicker that all but turns the TV off, though the other screen and the rest of the computer equipment are unaffected. It's also intolerant of overloads. Because a laser printer can easily pull 1200W or more, you're not supposed to plug one into any UPS outlet, battery-backed or not. I did by accident when I was moving cables around. The resulting shutdown and angry beeping was unsurprising. No docked stars for any of this, though I might have if the TV had actually turned off.

One niggle of note: my UPS took an usually long time to get past the initial startup. I spent about ten minutes pressing and holding buttons in accordance with the manual before it finally turned on. Since then, no similar issues, and I was alerted in a comment that it's possible to force the display to stay on by pressing and holding the display button until you hear a single beep.

All considered, I'd give this CyberPower a preliminary five stars. The APC lasted four years on the battery and five until the USB monitoring port went out, so that's the benchmark I hope it'll beat.

UPDATE 5/12:

I recently had an extended power outage. The estimated runtime was nine minutes at the start, but the UPS shut off in four or less even with a smaller load than above. This is significantly below Cyberpower's projections for this unit, so I'm docking a star. I would be tempted to choose a CP1500 if I were buying again. They come on sale for $150 or so every few months.

UPDATE 9/12:

I've had a new issue where the UPS stops powering all outlets for a few seconds at a time. No beeping or error messages ensue, but naturally, all devices turn off. The warranty for this unit is 3 years. Support has advised me to RMA. I'll update when that process is complete. Shipping to CyberPower was $18 through UPS. It's a very heavy package because they advise leaving the battery in.

UPDATE 10/12:

CyberPower has shipped me what appears to be a new unit. Turnaround time was a little over a week. No UPS signature was required. I didn't have any trouble turning this one on.

UPDATE 9/17:

No new issues to report. The replacement runs exactly as the original once did, recently powering my equipment during an Irma-related outage and automatically shutting down my server. Cyberpower has overhauled the monitoring application to be much more capable.
2,592 helpful votes
2,593 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 27, 2012
My CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS arrived today in perfect condition and I immediately put it to the test with my oscilloscope monitoring the output under load (my Dell XPS 9000 computer and LCD monitor). I was thrilled to see a nice smooth sine wave output when running on battery power which was not the case with a Tripp Lite model G1010USB that claimed to have a "PWM sine wave" output but instead was a stepped square wave and my computer refused to run with that UPS.

If you have a modern computer and it won't work with the cheaper UPS backup supplies when the power fails it is most likely because your computer has a PFC type power supply which WILL NOT WORK on any type of waveform other than a pure sine wave!

Some people complain that they wish the battery capacity was higher so they can run on battery power for tens of minutes if not an hour but the purpose of ANY UPS in this catagory is to allow the user to safely close their open files and shut down the computer in a matter of a few minutes, not power it for tens of minutes or longer. If you need extended time emergency backup power then you'll need either a backup generator or a bank of batteries running an inverter to supply power to your load.

I have posted a photo of the sine wave output from my CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W UPS when it's running on battery power only and supplying about 175W to 200W of power to my computer and monitor. The waveform was smooth and actually had less distortion than what is coming out of my wall outlet!

Unlike some reviews from a year ago, there was no smell coming from the unit when I unpacked it and no smell when running so if that was a problem in the past they must have fixed it.

The only thing I wish were different is the lack of ability to keep the display backlight on (it goes off after several seconds when the front panel button is pushed - probably to save energy).

I highly recomend this product - especially if you are looking for a UPS that produces a true sine wave output for your computer's PFC power supply requirement.

May 21, 2012 - This is a follow up to my original posting. The UPS is still running great and I got a response from the manufacturer about how to keep the display light on constantly. "You can configure the LCD to stay ON at all times by pressing the DISPLAY button for 2 seconds until you hear a short beep. This will configure the display to stay on at all times."

CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS
review image
429 helpful votes
430 helpful votes
1111 comments|Report abuse
I owned this UPS for about 5 years before it died.

PRO:
-great value for money, in terms of battery capacity, feature set, power factor correction, and total efficiency.
-worked great for me for 4 solid years.
-convenient USB ports for charging portable devices without occupying outlets.

CON:
-Failed suddenly, unexpectedly, and not due to a battery fault. Unit was under idle load only at the time.
-Failure core F03 apparently means "warranty replacement only, do not attempt repair"
-CyberPower support did not provide any additional information, resources, parts, or labor. They would not repair the unit even if I paid for it.
-weird brownish-red goo near capacitors suggests that at least one capacitor has failed. Generally, replacing those caps is quick and cheap, and results in a fully operational unit.
-I don't like the idea of throwing away a current model product. This unit is likely very fixable. Even if they were to replace just the entire mainboard, the most expensive components (Transformer and Batteries) are fine. Total cost of repair might be $100 but that's less than a replacement unit.

I contacted CyberPower about it, and they said it wasn't under warranty anymore, so I should discard it. It's an expensive piece of equipment, which likely has $2 worth of parts to replace. It's extremely uncool to throw away a unit full of heavy metals and functional components over a dead cap.

I'd like to fix it, whether or not they want to help me. But I'm disappointed that they didn't offer and refused my first request for assistance.
review image
57 helpful votes
58 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on March 25, 2017
Works *great*

Others have gotten into the technical reason (sorry I don't have an oscilloscope on hand) why this does what it's meant to do.

In practice, I bought a sweet new TV / home theatre setup. It was all plugged into my existing UPS, which isn't sinewave (it's actually an older CyberPower). To test it, I unplugged the UPS from the wall, and my TV shut down :( Apparently my TV has an active pfc setup and is sensitive to that.

I replaced the UPS with the one I'm reviewing, and I did the unplug test, and my viewing of old-school X-Files was uninterrupted.

For what it's worth, I have an xbox, mac mini, etc.. all plugged into it. Those gear might be older with respect to modern efficient power supplies, since they were working fine with the old UPS, but they continued working fine under the new UPS.
2 helpful votes
on August 24, 2017
I wanted a true sinewave UPS for my computer equipment. After reading the product reviews for the APC and Cyber Power UPS units, I chose the Cyber Power UPS. I have used it for over one month. The only reason I chose this brand was comparable features and lower cost and that my internet company installed a Cyber Power unit for our fiber optic internet. That unit has performed flawlessly for the last five years. My CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS arrived well packaged. Installation and setup was simple. I was concerned after reading several of the reviews on Amazon about problems with strong odors while the unit is in operation. I have not had that problem or my sense of smell is not as sensitive as the other reviewers. As for other complaints some other reviewers reported, I haven't had any; in fact the unit has operated flawlessly since I put it into service and is a very nice looking UPS. I highly recommend this UPS and would not hesitate to purchase another unit. A word of caution when purchasing. Make sure you purchase a true sinewave UPS for use on newer computer equipment. Not all UPS equipment are true sinewave, but simulated sinewave and newer computer power supplies don't play well with them.
on March 10, 2017
I have several pieces of expensive Audio and Video components in my Entertainment Center and an X Box 360 Gaming Console with a 250 GB Hard Drive. I have been living in Florida for many years and have been through many hurricanes and severe lightning storms. Florida is known as the Lightning Capital of the USA, so I wanted a good UPS to protect my equipment. With the help of my brother, I was able to set my CyberPower UPS quickly. I let the unit charge for over 24 hours in a grounded 3 prong wall outlet before I connected any of my components. I did not have any issues with a bad smell coming from my UPS while it was charging. Some of the other reviewers had issues with this. I like the Intelligent Display feature this UPS has! It appears to be a solid well built UPS. It is a lot heavier than it looks.(over 24 lbs) It looks great sitting on top of my Entertainment Center, and its black color blends perfectly with the rest of my components which are also black. We haven,t had any long power outages or severe thunderstorms lately but we will later on in the year! Bottom line is this: If you care as much about protecting your valuable components as I do, the
CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS.. is well worth the price! I will update this review from time to time if I have any serious problems with this UPS after a long power outage, or a severe thunderstorm. Update: My UPS arrived on March 1st of this year. I've had the UPS for about 4 and a half months now.On or about the 24th of July, we had a severe thunderstorm. I live upstairs and was talking with 2 of my neighbors who live downstairs. A large bolt of lightning struck very close to us and the resulting thunderclap made us all jump! We all quickly went indoors. I had several of my components on and was streaming a program on Netflix. Less than 2 minutes later, the power went out. The UPS worked great. The picture on my TV did not mess up or flicker at all.The switch from Utility to Battery Backup Power was extremely fast! (we are talking nano seconds here) I silenced the Audio Alarm and shut down the system.The power came on 70min later. Nothing was damaged. Great job, CyberPower! I LOVE this UPS!
on November 16, 2017
So far, so good. We have a lot of power outages and spikes, so, to protect the computer equipment, I bought this. I got the full sine wave one because I heard that Dell computers seemed to want that. We have 2 Dell desktop towers, 2 external hard drives, 2 monitors, a cable modem, and a WiFi router all plugged into the battery/surge outlets with only ~20% load. It estimates about 40 minutes of backup - we only need a few minutes to shut down.

We also have about 6 other components (Roku box, 2 more monitors, Verizon Extender, ...) plugged into the surge protection outlets.

It has a lot of capability and on-line access that is a little confusing, but...I can't get the notifications via e-mail, computer, or cell phone to work...maybe I need more time to look into it. Setup is really easy if you just plug and go...but it has a lot of features/notifications that are a bit complicated.

It's saved our computers twice since I installed it and this morning, the power had gone out overnight again, and the computers were happily humming along this morning when the power returned ;)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 12, 2011
I've used UPS's to protect my many computers for years (mostly APC brand). This is my first "pure sine wave" UPS.

This appears to be "the perfect" UPS, or at least pretty close to perfect.

The pure sine wave output, especially at this price, is a big plus for the newer power supplies, as well as being easier on other electronics.

The powered USB ports in the front are handy for charging USB devices, like an iPad, iPod, or Kindle.

The design is very aesthetic. The LCD display is well designed & informative.

The software you can use to monitor the UPS seems to work well. I really like the information and history of power events that it provides. I like to watch the UPS load. The software is currently showing that I'm using 288-315 watts with an estimated runtime of 20 minutes with the battery fully charged. You can also perform a self-test through the software, and it works great with Windows 7 64-bit.

I don't see myself buying anything other than a "pure sine wave" UPS in the future, at least for my "important" computers & servers. I'd definitely by CyberPower again. I've had previous CyberPower UPS's that have performed well (but were not "pure sine wave").

If anything changes then I will update this review... but so far I regard this as a 5-star UPS.

UPDATE 2011-12-16: pppe.exe is using 1.6GB of memory... it looks like there may be a major memory leak in CyberPower's software. Very disappointing. I closed the PowerPanel program and the memory was released. I question the software quality of "PowerPanel"... but still keeping the 5 star rating for now.

UPDATE 2012-08-06: I just had a strange issue where the UPS cut off power for an unknown reason. It wasn't even beeping or on battery power (at least it shouldn't have been on battery power as the AC was fine and my other UPS's weren't on battery). This caused my computer to shut off and I lost work. This has never happened before. I'm investigating but I'm knocking off one star because of this and the low quality of the PowerPanel software.

UPDATE 2017-10-24: Going down to 3 stars... while this unit has worked well for a long time, all of a sudden it cut power and let out a long, loud beep with error code "F03". I bought a new battery and so far it is working again but there was no battery warning and it shouldn't have cut power like it did even if the battery was bad. My old APC UPS's handled bad batteries much better.
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on March 30, 2017
So far, so good. Received a couple of days ago, setup was completely painless, it easily handles the load from my powerful gaming machine, 24" monitor, and USB hub without batting an eye. Immediately after setting it up, and a couple of times since then, I've switched off the power strip this is plugged into, and it has never failed to switch over instantly and keep my computer running through the simulated outage.

The screen on the front is helpful and cool, and overall this unit is quite attractive next to my tower, and the USB ports are a nice touch.

I also wanted one that offered a true sine wave, or the closest thing to it. I don't know for sure if I needed it for any of my current equipment, but I wanted to be sure that it behaves properly regardless of what electronics I decide to plug into it (I'm an electronic musician). Nothing else in this price range seems to offer such a smooth sine wave.

So far, I'd recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat over the much more expensive alternatives that offer this much power.
on June 9, 2017
This UPS is excellent. I have no idea what so many people are referring-to when they report an odor. Due to those reviews, I bought just one of these to check it out, even though I wanted 3 of them. After the first one had no noticeable odor, even with my nose right up against it, and after days of use, I order 2 more. All are working perfectly, and I don't smell anything. Very strange so many people report that!?

August 15, 2017 Update: One of the 3 units I have died about two weeks ago, and after the time allowed to return it to Amazon (about 2 months). I notice on the bottom there is a white sticker that has been partially scratched off, and some other scratches near there, so maybe this was a returned unit that was resold to me. The battery is dead, or at least that is what the unit displays (zero battery charge). I don't know, but I'm suspicious that someone may have bought this one just to get a good battery and return it with their old battery in it; could it happen? I'm so suspicious, I can even imagine maybe one of those people complaining of a bad smell just made that up as an excuse to return it?