Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,218 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,364 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 26, 2011
I bought the 1000VA model in this PFC series about a month ago to replace a fading APC Back-UPS ES 725. So far, performance has been encouraging.

My first impression upon opening the cleverly double-boxed packaging was that the picture size was deceiving. This CyberPower looks large. It's not. It's dwarfed by my standard mid-ATX towers. Eyeballed relative to one, it's about half the width, half the height, and two-thirds the depth. Positively petite for a tower UPS and roughly the size of the APC it replaced were that one upturned. Extras include a short coaxial cable and an RJ-11 phone wire. Build quality seems quite good, with an attractive combination of gloss and matte black plastic. Once booted, the UPS is completely silent with mains power. It buzzes quietly and runs a small, audible internal fan when on battery.

That said, let's drill down the major features of the PFC series:

Line-interactive - In the consumer world, there are three major types of UPS units: standby, line-interactive, and double conversion ("online"). Standby runs wall power straight to the device with minimal filtering unless it detects a major voltage change. Then it switches to battery. Line-interactive is the same, except with a filtering transformer between the wall and the device to handle most voltage variations. In an area with dirty power, line-interactive units won't cycle to battery power as often. With clean power, there's no practical difference between the two. Double-conversion means the battery always powers the device and wall power only charges the battery. The isolation is helpful for sensitive things, but less efficient because the wall power is perpetually converted from AC to DC and back to AC. The heavy-duty inverter this type requires also tends to increase cost and noise.

Some areas will have greater voltage fluctuation than others. If you're in California and surrounded by industrial machinery, line-interactive or double-conversion is where you want to be.

Sine wave - When a UPS with this feature is on battery power, the cycling frequency of the AC it produces will be a smooth sine wave instead of a blocky approximation. (The quality of this approximation scales with price; the inverters in cheaper UPS models tend to produce pretty ghastly waveforms.) Most devices don't care. Some with a direct current path may, as will electric motors and instruments that derive their timing from the power frequency. The majority of computer power supplies will work fine with any UPS, but those with active power factor correction may turn off if they encounter a particularly poor sine approximation. If the system continues to run after the UPS switches to battery, and it probably will if it's older or inexpensive, you're in the clear. Pure sine output is compatible with all computers and skirts the issue entirely.

This UPS has a capacity of 600W and 1000VA. You can ignore the second number if your hardware is recent or expensive. In the grand old days when the real power use of a computer (W) was 40% less than the apparent load to the power grid (VA), it made sense to specify more VA capacity than W. Now, though, with power factor correction (an attempt make the ratio of W:VA closer to 1:1) standard for years, the actual load is likely to be 90% or more of the apparent load. A 200W computer will probably use 200-225VA of capacity. You're therefore likely to reach the watt limit well before the one for VA.

Here's how the PFC models compare in maximum capacity, battery size, and runtime:

CP850: 510W max, 1 x 7 amp-hours = 8 min @ 255W, 2 min @ 510W
CP1000: 600W max, 1 x 9 amp-hours = 9 min @ 300W, 3 min @ 600W
CP1350: 810W max, 2 x 7 amp-hours = 9 min @ 405W, 3 min @ 810W
CP1500: 900W max, 2 x 8.5 amp-hours = 11 min @ 450W, 2 min @ 900W

While the latter two have USB charging ports and more physical size to accommodate an extra battery, all four otherwise share the same feature set.

Runtime doesn't scale linearly with load. A CP1500 feeding 100W may well last 60 minutes. At 900W, it'll last 2 minutes, best case. That's a factor of 30 difference in runtime for only 9 times more load. To ensure your system stays on long enough to shut down properly, the expected draw shouldn't be more than about 70% of the maximum capacity. CyberPower's software can be configured to automatically shut down any single system via USB or serial, though the comments attached to this review note that older versions may write excessively to SSDs.

In my case, I've got a 12-drive file server, tower PC, router, switch, 24" LCD, and 32" LCD plugged in. The front-panel UPS LCD tells me that is an idle load of about 340W and 350VA. Projected runtime on my CP1000 is 6 minutes. A typical single computer and LCD monitor will draw 125W together. Gaming systems and larger screens, perhaps 150W-250W at idle. Most people with one system will find the CP850 adequate if they shut down soon after saving open work. Multiple systems or attempting to ride out a power loss would benefit from the CP1350 or above.

So how does the CP1000 perform? It's hard to say. It feels satisfyingly heavy even without the battery, but as I haven't torn it apart, it could well be filled with peanut brittle. There haven't been any lightning strikes, so the 1,030 joule surge rating (three times APC's typical rating) remains untested. Actually, the only stressor has been my laser printer. It's plugged into the same wall socket and when it heats up, the lights flicker and the UPS trips.

The switchover time from mains to battery isn't quite as fast with this Cyberpower. I know that because my APC caused a slight flicker on my LCD TV. This one gives a severe flicker that all but turns the TV off, though the other screen and the rest of the computer equipment are unaffected. It's also intolerant of overloads. Because a laser printer can easily pull 1200W or more, you're not supposed to plug one into any UPS outlet, battery-backed or not. I did by accident when I was moving cables around. The resulting shutdown and angry beeping was unsurprising. No docked stars for any of this, though I might have if the TV had actually turned off.

One niggle of note: my UPS took an usually long time to get past the initial startup. I spent about ten minutes pressing and holding buttons in accordance with the manual before it finally turned on. Since then, no similar issues, and I was alerted in a comment that it's possible to force the display to stay on by pressing and holding the display button until you hear a single beep.

All considered, I'd give this CyberPower a preliminary five stars. The APC lasted four years on the battery and five until the USB monitoring port went out, so that's the benchmark I hope it'll beat.

UPDATE 5/12:

I recently had an extended power outage. The estimated runtime was nine minutes at the start, but the UPS shut off in four or less even with a smaller load than above. This is significantly below Cyberpower's projections for this unit, so I'm docking a star. I would be tempted to choose a CP1500 if I were buying again. They come on sale for $150 or so every few months.

UPDATE 9/12:

I've had a new issue where the UPS stops powering all outlets for a few seconds at a time. No beeping or error messages ensue, but naturally, all devices turn off. The warranty for this unit is 3 years. Support has advised me to RMA. I'll update when that process is complete. Shipping to CyberPower was $18 through UPS. It's a very heavy package because they advise leaving the battery in.

UPDATE 10/12:

CyberPower has shipped me what appears to be a new unit. Turnaround time was a little over a week. No UPS signature was required. I didn't have any trouble turning this one on.

UPDATE 11/13:

No new issues to report. The replacement runs exactly as the original once did.

If you intend to downvote, please leave a comment. I do try to be accurate, I'd much prefer to know the issue.
5150+ comments| 2,443 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 27, 2012
My CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS arrived today in perfect condition and I immediately put it to the test with my oscilloscope monitoring the output under load (my Dell XPS 9000 computer and LCD monitor). I was thrilled to see a nice smooth sine wave output when running on battery power which was not the case with a Tripp Lite model G1010USB that claimed to have a "PWM sine wave" output but instead was a stepped square wave and my computer refused to run with that UPS.

If you have a modern computer and it won't work with the cheaper UPS backup supplies when the power fails it is most likely because your computer has a PFC type power supply which WILL NOT WORK on any type of waveform other than a pure sine wave!

Some people complain that they wish the battery capacity was higher so they can run on battery power for tens of minutes if not an hour but the purpose of ANY UPS in this catagory is to allow the user to safely close their open files and shut down the computer in a matter of a few minutes, not power it for tens of minutes or longer. If you need extended time emergency backup power then you'll need either a backup generator or a bank of batteries running an inverter to supply power to your load.

I have posted a photo of the sine wave output from my CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W UPS when it's running on battery power only and supplying about 175W to 200W of power to my computer and monitor. The waveform was smooth and actually had less distortion than what is coming out of my wall outlet!

Unlike some reviews from a year ago, there was no smell coming from the unit when I unpacked it and no smell when running so if that was a problem in the past they must have fixed it.

The only thing I wish were different is the lack of ability to keep the display backlight on (it goes off after several seconds when the front panel button is pushed - probably to save energy).

I highly recomend this product - especially if you are looking for a UPS that produces a true sine wave output for your computer's PFC power supply requirement.

May 21, 2012 - This is a follow up to my original posting. The UPS is still running great and I got a response from the manufacturer about how to keep the display light on constantly. "You can configure the LCD to stay ON at all times by pressing the DISPLAY button for 2 seconds until you hear a short beep. This will configure the display to stay on at all times."

CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1350VA 810W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS
review image
88 comments| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2016
I owned this UPS for about 5 years before it died.

PRO:
-great value for money, in terms of battery capacity, feature set, power factor correction, and total efficiency.
-worked great for me for 4 solid years.
-convenient USB ports for charging portable devices without occupying outlets.

CON:
-Failed suddenly, unexpectedly, and not due to a battery fault. Unit was under idle load only at the time.
-Failure core F03 apparently means "warranty replacement only, do not attempt repair"
-CyberPower support did not provide any additional information, resources, parts, or labor. They would not repair the unit even if I paid for it.
-weird brownish-red goo near capacitors suggests that at least one capacitor has failed. Generally, replacing those caps is quick and cheap, and results in a fully operational unit.
-I don't like the idea of throwing away a current model product. This unit is likely very fixable. Even if they were to replace just the entire mainboard, the most expensive components (Transformer and Batteries) are fine. Total cost of repair might be $100 but that's less than a replacement unit.

I contacted CyberPower about it, and they said it wasn't under warranty anymore, so I should discard it. It's an expensive piece of equipment, which likely has $2 worth of parts to replace. It's extremely uncool to throw away a unit full of heavy metals and functional components over a dead cap.

I'd like to fix it, whether or not they want to help me. But I'm disappointed that they didn't offer and refused my first request for assistance.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 7, 2016
Be careful when you order this item because Amazon does not accept returns. Amazon did give me a refund but there is no way that the smell coming from these units is "normal" (Amazon sent me another one to see if it would resolve the issue, but both had it).

Doing a quick search, a few recent reviews and questions have been posted recently regarding this problem. I'm confident it's just a bad batch of units because nobody would be able to use this product otherwise. If you try to use it inside your home or in an office, the fumes will fill the whole room. I had to remove the unit from my home because my throat was becoming sore and scratchy.

I have no doubt the unit works flawlessly, but this smell is just unacceptable and should never get past QC. I could smell it through it's original packaging and it has not dissipated whatsoever (my whole garage smells terrible now).

Edit: I've had the unit in my garage for 3 weeks now with an air filter and fan pointed at it, it still smells really bad. I brought it inside yesterday and this morning my office smelled awful again.
1818 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2017
Like several others who have written in, this unit is a real fire risk. I happened to come into the room where my UPS was operating, sitting on a carpeted floor. I smelled a strong electrical fire odor and saw smoke in the room. I traced the smoke to the UPS and tried to turn it off. It just kept displaying 72 minutes remaining. I unplugged it. Still smoke and smell and the case was hot to touch. Its vents were not covered by anything, and it had "breathing room" and I could see the smoke coming out. The display stayed on. I tried the switch again. Couldn't turn it off. I decided I would have to remove the battery, but the door wouldn't open. I was getting worried with the heat and smoke it was still generating so I finally grabbed a screwdriver and chisel and managed to pry the battery door loose so i could remove a battery connection. THEN it shut off. About two months ago it began dropping power to my desktop so I had unplugged that CPU because my wall power was more reliable at that point, frankly; that left me running two flat screen monitors and the speaker amp for the computer.
Enough people have had smoke or fire problems with this unit that a recall should be considered or at least directions for how to quickly remove the battery; otherwise people can be breathing the smoke and fumes in a small space (under a computer desk) while trying to figure out how to shut the darn thing down in a hurry, assuming they were home and lucky enough to spot the problem early ! I've written the company about the situation and asked if there is a recall out there somewhere.
UPDATE 4-23-17: I emailed the company immediately, giving the facts and asking if any recalls, and within a day, an email reply suggested I call tech service. The unit was past warranty time but given the nature of the failure, I suggested registered owners be contacted ASAP with the quickest way to kill power to the circuitry if they experience what some of us have experienced. That's a reasonably inexpensive precaution, especially if panic resulted or someone doesn't have tools handy. Tech Support is having me return the unit for examination and supplying a replacement unit for the hassles, which seems reasonable. BTW, the battery seemed ok, once removed.
on September 13, 2011
Review: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD Pure Sine Wave Or Not?- see for yourself if it's a "Pure Sine Wave" (as advertised) or not.
2828 comments| 496 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2015
Output waveform appears to be clipped triangle, not a true sine. Close to a true sine and good enough for most consumer use -- but if you need absolutely pure sine for some reason, be aware.

Still, the Cyberpower output is WAY better than most in this price class which do "modified sine" (basically, stepped square wave).

I really don't think you can do better in this price range.
review image
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2015
I bought this for a friend who keeps a 7.5KVA generator in his garage, when I realized he can't get his garage door open without power. After replacing 2 incandescent 100W bulbs, with 20W CFLs, the non-motor load went from 1.6A to 0.3A. That, combined with the 1/2 HP motor load, is well within the load capability of this UPS. After verifying that the unit was fully charged, we tested it under actual load. We were able to cycle the door up and down 4 times before it shutdown. Plugging it back into its source, triggered a countdown back to normal operation.
This is perfect for the application when the goal is to open the door to start a generator. It's also fine if you're just going to open and close your door to leave during an outage, and again when you come back home. I also plugged the 4, ceiling fluorescent fixtures into backed-up outlets, so that 1 or more could be used AFTER OPENING the door, to help see while hooking up the genny.
I'm not stating that this UPS is specified as a means of powering a garage door opener, just that it works. I didn't scope the output but I expect that it looks decent or my meter readings would've been off. Just keep in mind that 1HP = 746 Watts, if you're considering this sort of application.
review image
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2017
I'm very frustrated. I have purchased four CyberPower devices in the past with great success and no issues. I purchased this exact same make and model two weeks ago for work and it's perfect, no oddball smell. I needed a replacement at home so I bought this again for home since I had so much success with it at work and the one that arrived at home SMELLS AWFUL. It's really difficult to have it in the house at all. The smell permeates the entire first floor. It smells like car tires or turpentine or something. It's really horrible and not something you want in your house. I am desperately trying to give it a week to see if it dissipates. If not, I will have to return it as it is unbearable. No product should deliver smelling like this. I don't understand why the version I received two weeks ago was different than the one I received two days ago. I don't know what is going wrong in some of their production lines that makes this occur but it should be corrected. Both delivered from Amazon, not a third party but one has zero smell and the other is overly stinky. Not good. I will update next week if I kept it or not. I'm really disappointed since I've had such success with CyberPower in the past.
on November 23, 2016
I am the proud owner of 3 of these (so far). They're quiet when on AC power. They have great customization. I've muted the beeps and warnings so if the power kicks off, they just take over without distracting me further. I LOVE the 2 front USB plugs. I charge devices from them all the time. The LED screen is off by default until you press a button, so other than the dimly lit power button on the front, there's no distracting lights or sounds under normal use on AC power.

So, how well do they work? Well, I've owned a lot of UPSes. These are by far much quieter than any I've purchased from APC. They have a true sine wave output (which is amazing!), and the 1500VA is perfect for most electronics. The front screen will tell you how much of a load you have plugged in and even an estimate for how long the unit should run given that load if you lost power. So, no surprises!

I ran a 42 inch TV for about 2 hours off of one of these when a hurricane knocked out our power. I had another with our cable modem, wireless router, and home phone base connected until our provider lost power and then some. I'd recharge the UPS from our generator during the day and move them to wherever I needed light and plug in lamps with Cree LED bulbs in them. They'd run for hours and hours. I even ran a small fan on low for about 30 minutes off of one. It was hot, and I knew with the true sine wave output I could run a small motor on low without issue... so... yeah, heaven on a hot, muggy night with no air conditioning.

Cons: not really any cons -- best lead acid-based UPS one can buy for home use. Some UPS companies are experimenting with Li Ion UPSes, but they have low VA ratings and are absurdly expensive for now.