Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
Okay, kids. Here's a camera all you 'aficionados' will absolutely love if you're into composing a shot, once you know what you're looking for. While I've only had the camera for a day, it wins points on its revolutionary approach to digital-imaging, capturing the light for all the world much the way all the old 'chromes' did, back in the day when all you had were f-stops and shutter speeds. Remember back that far? This ain't no average 'Point-and-Shoot'. Matter of fact, it's pedestrian-style when you think of speed, in the digital age, that is... If you're looking for a camera to take to a sports-event, or one to capture 'on-the-fly' images, this ain't your camera. If, on the other hand, you find yourself walking about town for the simple reason that it's nice outside, you want to go for a walk and maybe catch a few shots, some REALLY GOOD shots, with accurate color-rendition and incredible detail, this might be what you're looking for. If you don't have the scratch for an 850 (about 3k, right now) or a Leica (I feel for you, I really do) and love 'sleepers' (this camera looks rather, uh, 'nondescript'...PERFECT!) then you're gonna love this little gem. While there are those that denigrated the Leica D-Lux3's 'noise' at low-light levels (man, I don't get that one, period) I thought the images it rendered were top-drawer, and being able to fit a fine camera in one's pocket it a huge plus. You don't 'get the shot' if you don't take the camera along, and this one fits nicely in my Carhartts. Okay, they're not Dockers or Van Heusens (although they have, lamentably of late, become a fashion statement of sorts) the generous space offered by the Carhartts make stuffing a truly pocketable camera an easy matter, and the plain-looking, solidly-built Sigma is perfectly suited to this application. Yeah, the red 'processing' led winks for a bit, but hey, I believe in results. All you goonies out there into a 10-frame-per-second sickness should pass this type of excellence up. That kind of camera is designed for pro-sports photographers who really NEED that sort of fire-power, not the fellow (or gal) who savors an excursion, taking it all in, in a languorous fashion, risking labeling as some sort of NUT for heaven's sake. New-agers and Zen devotees, your camera has arrived. Check it out, take the time, and your dedication will be amply rewarded. Pixel-peepers need not apply: this is the artist's camera. Like Kinkade? Buy a Nikon, and hit the street in your Polo ensemble, hey, you'll fit right in...Me, I'll take Vermeer anyday... Nuff sed...
I have, use, and mostly love the original DP1. The DP1 has enormous shortcomings but its one saving grace is that the image quality at low ISOs is simply better than cameras with smaller sensors--which for now, means all P&S cameras, until the Fuji x100 arrives. This is not an issue of how megapixels are counted or Foveon sensors. Its the bigger sensor and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter. So the test reports that say "The camera sucks unless getting the sharpest, most detailed image is your top priority" are correct. But the DP1 has more than its share of problems so I had to know if the DP1x solved them.

The answer, amazingly, is that the DP1x its dramatically better in most ways but in at least one, its worse. The good news: Blue skies, which were cyan with the DP1 are now a beautiful "polarizer" blue. Neutral grays, which were a sort of green/cyan on the DP1 are now almost neutral. Reddish blotches of color noise (the hardest thing to correct with the DP1) are only visible upon careful inspection of even-toned areas. Green corners are almost gone (yea!). Startup is a little faster, the LCD is brighter (although still low res), the quick access menu is great and in general, things are a little snappier (firmware 1.1). This increase in speed is nice because its now feasible to shoot everything in brackets of three, to make sure the highlights are under control.

So what's not to like? Well, the buttons are a little cheesier and wigglier than on the DP1, and for some reason the DP1x simply won't focus in low light or if the subject isn't contrasty. When I say "won't focus" I mean its not as good as the DP1 and that's saying something. In good light, the DP1x AF is fine and its a little faster than the DP1. (Interestingly, the original Ricoh GR Digital had much better focusing than the GRD II so maybe this is somebody's idea of evolution).

Should you get a DP1x? Not for $600, but after the holidays for $450? If you're used to using the DP1 slowly and methodically and would like to spend less time color correcting, yes. If you like Foveon saturation but wish it was a little more accurate, yes. If you're happy or ecstatic with what you're getting from the DP1 or DP1s, I'd say stick with with what you have. The Fuji x100 won't have any of these problems but it will cost a grand and still have just a 35mm equivalent lens. The bottom line I guess is that comparing Sigma DP cameras to other point and shoot cameras is pointless. Its almost as if they are in a different category, both better and worse than the best from Canon, Ricoh, etc.
on October 4, 2012
It's all about the results and Sigma DP1x doesn't disappoint. Even wide open the lens is super sharp, film like. There is super sharp digital style which I profoundly hate. This lens is sharp, neutral (Leica like), 'round' with deep colors. The focus is fast enough for most activities that do not involve kids running. I can get almost 150 raw shots per battery and I always have a $19 original spare, just in case. After a day shooting I'm always eager to get home and see the results on my computer. I've never had this feeling with any camera before (well, maybe with Leica X1).
on May 13, 2013
I am thoroughly enjoying my Sigma Dp1x. After all the reviews, I wasn't sure but that Faveron chip seemed to be calling to me; its website is a killer. After using it, I can say it has really brought back the fun in taking pictures. I think this chip will be to the digital chip what Kodachrome was to film. I am older and compare it mostly with my old Canon Ftb w/ 55mm 1.2 lens; ahh, that glass was large enough to see Sauron's eye! The Sigma Dp1x is slow ...ish but not so much as I worry about; it helped slow me down to take a better shot. Its Quick Menu has only what you need: simple! Sigma's Photo Pro software for the Raw works fine for me and then I put it in Aperture as a Tiff 16 bit (I think that's right). The detail that I get out of this crisp prime lens is a true crystal! My other camera is a Canon super zoom that has a ton of bells and whistles and does a nice job and if I zoom that lens all the way out, I can see just the edge of tomorrow! But I have to sharpen every print in Aperture. Never have I had to sharpen any of this Sigma's prints. I think I got a paper cut just looking at those last prints on my Mac. I am heading to Alaska in July, I'll be carrying my Sigma Dp1x and I'm letting my daughter use the Canon. Having used other SLR's (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Olympus) back before the digital age, then downsizing to the digital Super zooms ... it is a pleasure to use this Sigma Dp1x. It is nice to use a camera that cannot do everything but does one thing fantastically: a large sensor picture...and it fits in my pocket! ESPECIALLY AT THIS THROW AWAY CAMERA PRICE.
on November 9, 2012
I am happy I bought this camera on sale (unbelievable Amazon offer). Just like there is a place for LPs, oil paintings, hand drawings this camera is for someone with imagination and some skill. You are the artist, not the camera. I would say this camera is like top quality oil paint. In the hands of a master you get a wonderful result........in the hands of a novice, I dare not speculate.

I love this camera and it will be traveling with me a lot. It's the "Leica" I could afford.

Don't blame the camera if you take bad pictures, go take a class and keep trying. :)

The price popped back up by 400 dollars today so I can't believe I got one for 249. Should have bought 2.

Amazon please offer a sale for D2x too because I want one too!
on May 23, 2015
The Sigma dp is a specialty camera that shines in outdoor use and at ISO 100. Indoor use with the camera is very challenging since the autofocus of the camera is terrible in low light. However, with some patience using the manual focus it is possible to get the shot. But when comparing the Sigma dp to the functionality of modern cameras it fails miserably. I like the simplicity of the camera. I like the "look" of the pictures that the foveon sensor delivers. The sharpness is nice, but other cameras using apsc sensors, and even possibly micro 4/3 cameras can equal the sharpness. This camera is very polarizing; you either love it or hate it. The best attribute I can give this camera is that it is different to all Bayer sensor cameras. It is unlike anything out there, and that can mean something positive or negative.
on April 27, 2013
The title may be confusing for some - let me explain. I previously owned a DP-1s. I was very happy with this little camera, both in image quality and build. I regretted getting rid of the camera as soon as it left my possession. Fast forward a year or so and I couldn't pass up a sale on the DP-1x.

The DP-1x takes great pictures, but for some reason they are not as good as the DP-1s. Don't get me wrong - the image quality is still great, but the '1x pictures don't "pop" like the '1s pictures do. The build quality was also not on par with the '1s. The buttons on the back rattled around and seemed made of cheaper materials.

Interface was about the same and the buttons were labeled a bit better than the '1s. Price was about $50 more, even though I got both on sale.

Bottom line is that this is a good camera, just didn't meet my expectations from the DP-1s. Still 4 stars though.
on November 9, 2012
I will say right now - do your research before buying this camera. This is a special tool that rewards your work with wonderful images. Most of my prints are from this and the DP2s. Like was said before, this is not an everyday point and shoot and you will be disappointed coming to this camera with that expectation. It is a great learning tool, and for those patient enough to master this camera...well let's just say you'll be hooked. Yes, frustrations and all cussing aside, you will be hooked. Will you be happy? Yes, because being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

If you see this camera at a bargain price again don't hesitate!
on November 12, 2012
Have done research before placing order when it dropped to 249, it's just simply amazing to get this at that price.
Tried a few shots outside in sunshine, the first thing I noticed that it's so sharp! (after processing raw with SPP). Need to try more to get feeling about the color (which is supposed to be superp).
Compare with the photos shot by my Fuji X100, this one takes photo defintely sharper - under sunshine though.
Anyway, 249$ is just worthy it
on November 7, 2012
if you want p&s camera - look elsewhere / otherwise it's a mini dslr w/wide prime / sensor produces vivid life like colors and noise free below iso 100 / on a negative side - camera is really slow in powering up, focusing and shutter isn't as responsive as I would like it to be - so - not an action camera / wide lens is great ! may have to adjust your shooting style/habits ;) ! some footwork maybe involved! great camera for architecture, landscapes and still life photography as well as portraiture (posed - not candid!?) again - ! - this camera is for people w/knowledge of what they are doing in a very compact package! also could be a great learning tool (if you have desire to learn on the go!) controls are simple and easy to use! results this camera produces are impressive - especially - if you consider its size and weight!

considering all of the above - highly recommend!