Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 409 reviews
on December 15, 2010
This is a really good debut for their first time out. I admit I was wary of them at first, but then I got to listening to the lyrics of their current single, "When I Die Young," and I was honestly touched. After buying the album, none of them really live up to the amazing lyrical value of that song, but every one on here is enjoyable in its own right. Another big favorite of mine that's featured here is the song, "You Lie." I definitely believe this group is gonna do amazing things with country music in the future; one of the reasons I say this is the lead singer, Kimberley Perry, wrote "When I Die Young" without additional songwriters. That shows a lot of promise, because that song is so strong just by itself. Another reason I say this is because her vocal stylings show a lot of promise. She's kind of got an old school bluegrass soul vibe to her sound, almost like a young Alison Krauss or Trisha Yearwood. Buy this one, especially if you're a fan of country music.
on July 7, 2013
The Band Perry is a surprise, with eloquent lyrics and well-crafted songs and a singer who uses her voice as an instrument. This album makes you think of all the drama, the rich flavors of love and the bitter tang of lost relationships. The songs really speak of human nature and such genuine feelings that everyone can appreciate...you cannot help but think of the relationships and people of your life as you hear the Perrys sing. I wonder if, when Kimberly Perry gets married, the songs will dry up? The songs seem to be from her perspective primarily, but then again her brothers may have a lot of input into the words as well but, since she is the lead singer the songs are from a girl's point of view?

Some people criticize Kimberly's voice as "too clean to be emotive" but I disagree. She can and does use her voice as an instrument. This was the first Band Perry album. I highly recommend that anyone who likes this one will likely love the second.

Actually, the Henningsens (another family group) basically co-wrote this album - the band that released the EP "American Beautiful." The Perrys are two brothers and a sister, the Henningsens are a dad, son and daughter. Their influence on the album speaks well of their future as a touring country act. At the time the album was being produced, Clara Henningsen was single but has since married.

In any event, this is a country music album but it has the chops to produce crossover success. There are rocking guitars that kick up the jams beyond a typical country album. But then country music is incorporating more rocking sounds these days, and as country and blues were ancestral to rock music I supppose we are coming full circle?
on September 4, 2014
The Band Perry is an exciting country rock band with smart lyrics and catchy tunes. I think that this CD is better than their sophomore release, "Pioneer," which is also very good. The three siblings either wrote or contributed to the writing of nearly every song. They are also talented vocalists and musicians (Neil says that he put the "man" in mandolin, his instrument.). My favorite songs: "You Lie", "Postcard from Paris", "Walk Me Down the Middle", "Quittin' You", "Lasso". I saw them in concert recently; they were very loud and energetic, and sounded even better than their CD. I can't remember when I've had so much fun at a concert, despite the fact that I'm probably way outside the demographic of their fan base (retired, 60, African-American).
on February 7, 2012
The Band Perry gently crept into country music fans collective consciousness in 2010 with their debut self-titled album. The Perry's (two brothers and their sister) have come up with a marvelous first outing and show a great deal of promise for "things to come." The radio singles, "You Lie," "Hip to My Heart," "All Your Life," and the gripping "If I Die Young" are all here and other notable tracks include, "Independence" and "Postcards from Paris." All-in-all, a marvelous beginning to a promising career in country music - truly, an impressive start! Recommended to those who enjoy contemporary country and probably even a few adventurous souls who favor traditional country music.
on March 18, 2012
I had only heard one of The Band Perry's songs when I was introduced to them live at a performance at the Grand Ole Opry. It took all of two words sung by Kimberly before I had goosebumps. The incredible thing is that her voice is so much better live - such a rarity in today's highly edited albums. This is no nasal-voiced singer with a good backup band. This is a truly gifted singer with excellent backup musicians and vocalists. There are few who can harmonize as well as family members. These three can blend their voices in wonderful ways.

So the singing is top-notch, what about the lyrics. I've got to say I was shocked at how well written these songs were. I get so tired of songs that have no more depth than the wading pool. These songs make me think, they make me strive to understand the singers point of view. While some are just fun, others touch very deep emotions.

Pros:
o new country style - no steel guitar
o excellent song-writing
o excellent instrumentalists
o top-notch vocals

Cons:
o when will that next album be out???

Overall - this is an excellent album, one of the few full albums I have bought in the last year. Highly recommended.
on March 31, 2017
wish I had more of their music
on November 27, 2010
At one point I heard that the band perry was just not
going to "make it" since they just could not seem to pull
together an album. This was a bit after their song "Hip to my Heart"
made it into the top 40. But I am happy to see that they have proved
their critics wrong. The album is quite good... its not full of "number 1"
hits but I think there is the potential for at least 2-3 more to chart into
the top 40.

"You Lie" and "Walk me down the middle" seem obvious choices to make
the country charts, a couple of my favorites at least ;-)

"Double heart" and "Postcards from paris" may well also chart... Independence
is also another song that will probably show up in the top 40. Well
worth the purchase ... a good album and I do like supporting a new band.
on August 16, 2011
Non-offensive lyrics and melodically pleasing. I actually find the first three songs that were used as singles to be more catchy than Taylor Swift's songs. The only song I don't like is "Lasso"--for whatever reason, it just feels way too slow. Anyways, it's the kind of album I can just enjoy while I'm working (and since "Lasso" is the last song, I just play the album in order and go back to the first song "You Lie" when I want to start again with the upbeat songs). I can even play it on speakers and not worry about suggestive lyrics (I mostly listen to pop songs).
on June 19, 2013
I just recently heard about this band and checked out some of their songs before buying the album. What talent! Kimberly's voice has amazing range, and the three siblings harmonize beautifully. Whether singing the mournful "If I Die Young" or the uplifting "All Your Life," this group shines. Anyone who likes "modern" country music, strong vocals, and catchy lyrics should check out this album. It's a keeper.
on February 5, 2013
I bought this album after hearing the song- If I die young. I had heard it previously but it didnt really strike me. My twin sister died of cancer in May at the age of 51, and even though she wasnt a young woman in many eyes, she was too young to die so soon. She also had a life of not being able to achieve the things so many people take for granted and was dismissed in life by so many. This was played at her funeral and I had to buy it for myself. It is a great cd and the one song is guaranteed to make me cry. I recomend it highly.