Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,116 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,169 reviews
on January 7, 2016
I intended to use this as a clone of my OS drive as a backup.

Could not get it to format or stay formatted on two different computers, one Windows 7 and the other Windows 10, both through administrative accounts using disk manager. The drive would fail a format, or would format and then disconnect, reconnect and not be formatted after. Gave up after 6 tries between both computers using various different byte allocations.

Amazon like a champ though refunded my money and I shipped it back to them.

First Western Digital drive I've had problems with out of the box in over 15 years.
on December 25, 2015
I was recommended this HDD by many friends for its speed and reliability. Sadly, the drive started to get slightly slower as the year went on. I never loaded with unnecessary software and used it to most play 2-3 different games, nothing too serious. After 1 year the HDD started to have long boot times, I tried repairing it but to no avail. Now 2 years later a few months ago it bricked, it has bad sectors and the Motor started failing. Lucky I pulled off all my data.

I know how to keep HDDs healthy, I've have a laptop that's over 8 years old and another desktop that is 6 years old. I've never had problems like I had with this drive.

I would not recommend this HDD unless you plan on getting a warranty plan for at least 5 years.
on April 13, 2016
I bought about 4 of these collectively over the course of the past 3 years. The hard drives are not worth it. They begin to suffer DRAMATIC speed loss as soon as it exceeds about 50% of it's capacity. To the point that it CRAWLS. And from that point on you begin to have sector issues. You won't notice them until you blue screen or start grinding to a halt while computing, and even then you won't REALLY know until you run checkdisk. But I mean I guess they never FAILED completely so... there's that?
on August 24, 2011
I have a 320GB caviar blue, that was running low on space so a upgrade was mandatory. For $40 which is actually the same price I got my 320GB from a retail store, this was a great deal. The hardware installation was pretty straight forward and painless. but keep a few things in mind when buying this product as an upgrade or for a build. when they say bare drive they mean bare drive. You get a box, packaged product and that's it. You will need some screws or a way to secure this drive to your case for a build or a housing to make it an external. Also if this is for a secondary drive (as it was for me) I would download the proper software from WD prior to installing this HDD. Windows (I have 7) will recognize the drive as a disc drive and not a Hard disc drive if you don't have the proper software from the get go. So to avoid having a redundant disc listing make sure you have the WD software. Performance seems solid so far, it only has 40GB of game data on it, but transferring over the games was painless and they launch perfectly. There does not seems to be an audible increase in noise seeing as two drive run now instead of just one and heat difference is also negligible and if this drive performs as good as my 320GB, this is another win from Western Digital.
on September 29, 2015
Purchased this hard drive in June for our inventory to repair computers at our shop... Says have one year warranty. Very much to our surprise to open box to do a repair today and found out it was manufactured in 2011 - there is no warranty on this at all nor has there been since 2012. Feeling very much duped - DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER - DECEPTIVE FOR SURE.
on November 25, 2012
I received this drive today and it was in a loose box with a bunch of other items. It was not secured with bubble wrap or any other packing material, there was plenty of room in the box for the hard disk to move around quite a bit in transit. I immediately starting running the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics to write zeros to the disk to prepare it for use. During this time, the disk encountered several write zero errors indicating that the sector is bad. Normally, I encounter zero or one write zero error when writing zeros to a disk. The high number of write zeros on this disk indicate it is bad, so I must return in. While I cannot be sure the way the disk was packed was the cause of the issues with the drive, I cannot confidently buy another hard disk from Amazon due to their poor packing.

To be clear, I have two others of this same disk I have been running in RAID 0 for about 2 years. I have to say I like the disks and they offer great stability, but not so much on performance. I would give the disk itself 4 out of 5 stars.
on February 11, 2012
My first Western Digital drive, that came with my Dell computer, lasted me about 9yrs. It would have lasted longer, if I had my CPU connected to a UPS and protected against power surges and outages. My first HD change out was pretty painless. I just installed the new drive, turned on my computer, and put the OS install disc into my CDROM drive.

The drive itself is very quite, and seems to be running flawlessly. I'll update this review if that changes.

BTW, those whose who are intested in recovering data from their failed drive should check out: Cables To Go USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter. That worked, along with fixing my old drives disc via the cmd window. I was finally able to access it, with the drive in a external drive mode.
on February 6, 2014
I purchased this 500 Gb Drive to replace the 250 Gb Seagate Drive that came with this Computer.
Installation was a breeze. I installed the new Drive in the second bay, then used Acronis True Image to clone the Drive.
After cloning, I disconnected the SATA and power cables from the 250Gb Drive. Total elapsed time from Drive installation to using the Computer for some Lightroom 4 work was 50 minutes. I did not install the jumper to drop to transfer rate to 3GB/sec and have experienced zero problems with operations. It might just be my imagination, but the Computer seems to run faster. VERY SATISFIED WITH THIS PURCHASE.
on March 28, 2017
Please do not waste your money on this. This motherboard will NOT POST when powered on. NO display from mobo or graphics card. I am unable to return to or get a replacement from this seller.
Again, PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED $50.
on May 13, 2017
First one needed to be returned because it failed when OS and programs were installed. Seller sent a return label so I could return at seller's expense. I then bought another and this one works great. It's quiet and fast and I haven't had any problems so far. Great response from seller and fast shipping!!!

WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5000AAKX