Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Capacity: 500 GB|Style: 7200 RPM|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,108 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,161 reviews
on February 20, 2011
My use for these drives is to replace a couple of aging five year old 80GB drives in Windows XP and XP Media Center machines. Those drives are still running fine, however, for the price, I had absolutely no reason not to upgrade them at this time.

I came across this drive middle of last week and Amazon was selling it new for $29 - I was scratching my head thinking "what's the deal" and "what's wrong with these drives"? Sure, even though they were above $25, Amazon was still charging for the shipping - so I took two to bring the per drive shipping down slightly. The old 3Gb version of this drive was selling for over $40 - so again, scratching my head about this. Maybe it was a pricing mistake? Whatever - it was a great price.

The drives arrived yesterday, same standard OEM packaging all of my six other WD drives have come in over the past 9 months. I used Clonezilla to clone the old drives on to the new, it went smoothly without any issues. I'm storing the old drives just in case these new ones have any issues I won't have to rebuild the system drives from scratch.

I know that the motherboards in my machines cannot make use of the 6Gb throughput, however, these drives are definitely faster than what they're replacing - older WD drives which indicate they are 7200RPM and 3Gb. Specs on the older drives indicate performance shouldn't be all that different, but it is, and for the better. I won't question it.

The drive indicates you can jumper pins 5 and 6 to limit it to 3Gb, but I didn't understand the benefit of doing it, so I left it unjumpered and it's working well.

To summarize - these drives are fast, quiet, and so far are performing excellently. I'm very happy with them thus far.
1515 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2015
Purchased this hard drive in June for our inventory to repair computers at our shop... Says have one year warranty. Very much to our surprise to open box to do a repair today and found out it was manufactured in 2011 - there is no warranty on this at all nor has there been since 2012. Feeling very much duped - DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER - DECEPTIVE FOR SURE.
on March 22, 2013
I work on computers. Western Digital is a gold standard.
Every review, every technician I talk to confirms that.
They last and have a 2year guarantee.
AND THEY ARE QUIET!!

Installation is a breeze using the western digital edition Acronis cloning software you can download at:
[...]
It will copy your current hard drive without any hassle and is easy to use and works well.

I used to use Seagate and Maxtor drives when they were made better, but now I am sold on Western Digital.
on March 7, 2017
Product only lasted about 3 months. Contacted WD directly and they are unable to process a warranty claim since the HDD was not originally shipped to the Americas it was designated to be sold else where and the company is refusing to stand behind this product. Beware you are buying at your own risk.
on March 19, 2017
Works just fine. I was a little concern by the thin packing used- just a layer of small bubble wrap and inserted in a USPS small mailer box, but it survived OK.
on April 29, 2016
This is a great drive for the price, I bought mine used I think. Anyway, WD is a good brand and it seems pretty fast as far as hard drives go, hopefully I can upgrade to an SSD one of these days.
on March 3, 2017
It's WD. What so you expect? I use WD Blue for external clones and storage and SSD in my desktop. Easy arrangement.
on March 22, 2017
Great price for a 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD.
Works like a charm.
on May 26, 2015
Extremely reliable, and very fast. boots windows 8.1 professional in under 4 seconds, if you use a motherboard with a "suspend to RAM" feature
on June 17, 2014
Great memory ! Easy install! Happy buy! Deffinitly recommend! And it is good quality don't have to worry this will store all your needs