Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All is Bright STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 7, 2016
I intended to use this as a clone of my OS drive as a backup.

Could not get it to format or stay formatted on two different computers, one Windows 7 and the other Windows 10, both through administrative accounts using disk manager. The drive would fail a format, or would format and then disconnect, reconnect and not be formatted after. Gave up after 6 tries between both computers using various different byte allocations.

Amazon like a champ though refunded my money and I shipped it back to them.

First Western Digital drive I've had problems with out of the box in over 15 years.
on December 25, 2015
I was recommended this HDD by many friends for its speed and reliability. Sadly, the drive started to get slightly slower as the year went on. I never loaded with unnecessary software and used it to most play 2-3 different games, nothing too serious. After 1 year the HDD started to have long boot times, I tried repairing it but to no avail. Now 2 years later a few months ago it bricked, it has bad sectors and the Motor started failing. Lucky I pulled off all my data.

I know how to keep HDDs healthy, I've have a laptop that's over 8 years old and another desktop that is 6 years old. I've never had problems like I had with this drive.

I would not recommend this HDD unless you plan on getting a warranty plan for at least 5 years.
on April 13, 2016
I bought about 4 of these collectively over the course of the past 3 years. The hard drives are not worth it. They begin to suffer DRAMATIC speed loss as soon as it exceeds about 50% of it's capacity. To the point that it CRAWLS. And from that point on you begin to have sector issues. You won't notice them until you blue screen or start grinding to a halt while computing, and even then you won't REALLY know until you run checkdisk. But I mean I guess they never FAILED completely so... there's that?
on February 11, 2012
My first Western Digital drive, that came with my Dell computer, lasted me about 9yrs. It would have lasted longer, if I had my CPU connected to a UPS and protected against power surges and outages. My first HD change out was pretty painless. I just installed the new drive, turned on my computer, and put the OS install disc into my CDROM drive.

The drive itself is very quite, and seems to be running flawlessly. I'll update this review if that changes.

BTW, those whose who are intested in recovering data from their failed drive should check out: Cables To Go USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter. That worked, along with fixing my old drives disc via the cmd window. I was finally able to access it, with the drive in a external drive mode.
on February 6, 2014
I purchased this 500 Gb Drive to replace the 250 Gb Seagate Drive that came with this Computer.
Installation was a breeze. I installed the new Drive in the second bay, then used Acronis True Image to clone the Drive.
After cloning, I disconnected the SATA and power cables from the 250Gb Drive. Total elapsed time from Drive installation to using the Computer for some Lightroom 4 work was 50 minutes. I did not install the jumper to drop to transfer rate to 3GB/sec and have experienced zero problems with operations. It might just be my imagination, but the Computer seems to run faster. VERY SATISFIED WITH THIS PURCHASE.
on September 27, 2011
I was worried that the WD drive would make noise because this computer is in my bedroom and my favorite thing about it is that it is completely silent. It didn't.

I ran the computer several days with the cover off as I switched the SATA leads back and forth as I looked for settings and data on the old drive to move to the new drive. This new WD is fast and quiet. I like it.

Packaging was appropriate. Protected the drive but was easy to open and not wasteful.

The only suggestion that I would make would be that Amazon could put a note that folks buying a new SATA data cable may need a new power adapter to connect from a conventional power supply plug to a SATA drive. I had to make an unexpected trip to Radio Shack for that adapter.

No info yet on durability since it is only two weeks old at this writing.
on March 28, 2017
Please do not waste your money on this. This motherboard will NOT POST when powered on. NO display from mobo or graphics card. I am unable to return to or get a replacement from this seller.
Again, PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED $50.
on May 13, 2017
First one needed to be returned because it failed when OS and programs were installed. Seller sent a return label so I could return at seller's expense. I then bought another and this one works great. It's quiet and fast and I haven't had any problems so far. Great response from seller and fast shipping!!!

WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5000AAKX
on May 26, 2014
This drive was used to recover a new desktop computer. Updating to Windows 8.1 caused a major conflict, likely due to driver incompatibility. A friend loaded Windows 7 on this drive, jumpered it so the computer saw it as the main boot, and threw out the updates. Computer is now back to Windows 8.

I originally upgraded to 8.1 because Windows Media Player quit working. As far as I can tell you cannot download a version of WMP for Windows 8, certainly not from Microsoft itself unless you upgrade to 8.1. Upgrading to 8.1 fixed that issue, but having automatic updates turned on for 8.1 was a big mistake. The computer hung after the most recent update package, requiring a separate drive for recovery.

Microsoft is currently having major issues with their updates. The most recent (May 2014) package of updates apparently has some bad bugs itself. If you are running Windows 8 or 8.1 turn off automatic updates and manually update the computer yourself. Go to any of the various support sites that aren't run by Microsoft and they'll tell you which updates to avoid downloading.

I have trusted WD for years (I have a terabyte external drive for backups) and this drive performed flawlessly as expected.
on May 27, 2015
After putting this hard through a years worth of extreme use (like copying and deleting Windows on it about 7 times), it is still holding up well after heavy use. Boot time is approx. 30 seconds. I never hear the hard drive itself, and the temperature sits at 36 at heavy use, 34 at idle. Games and programs load in a small amount of time also. Although we are entering an SSD age, this hard drive is great for budget-based builds.
review imagereview image