Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning branding branding branding  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 127 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on July 26, 2011
Required additional drive space and this fit the bill. Installed it to my PC, did a quick NTFS drive format and was up and running in no time flat.

Very quiet drive! Liked it so much I purchased another for use as an external drive. Both drives working flawless and no issues transferring massive amounts of data to both drives.

My data is currently utilizing over 50% of the drive space on both drives and have no issues to speak of.

One drive is housed in a Vantec NexStar external enclosure and works flawless on all my systems via USB. No data errors, speed issues or complaints at this time.

Highly recommended!
on March 21, 2013
Wonderful HD Just perfect for what I needed and it is VERY quiet!! This is a Great product and I love it
on July 5, 2013
nice price , it is great to be able to shop around and not have to settle for just one store
on July 27, 2011
I purchased two of these Green 3TB drives for my NAS device, which is a 6-slot ReadyNAS Pro from Netgear. I removed two 1TB Seagate ES drives and just inserted these 3TB new drives. Automatically recognized and provisioned, everything was smooth. My volume was expanded and I didn't notice any problem. Drive temperature is lower than Seagate ES series by 5 to 7° average. Great drives, outstanding price point. I recommend!
on November 15, 2012
I have the same problem with Amazon. Probably it is not Amzon's fault. It looks like errors of WD hard drive labeling.

I bought this model:
2TB WD SATA II hard drive with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty, Model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN.

Amazon sent me:
2TB WD SATA III hard drive with 64MB Cash and 2 year warranty, Model WD20EARX.

Although it looks better than my order, in reality the model WD20EARX has a very bad rate. For instance - look at newegg.com

BTW: UPS Code and S/N on the box label and on the hard drive are the same but model numbers are different and the label looks like a fake. I asked Amazon to replace HD but I am not sure if they have the model I bought.

Updated 11/28/2012:

As I wrote in my initial post, I asked Amazon to replace HD. A few days ago I received the same wrong model WD20EARX in the same right box WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN. I send all detailed info to Amazon and believe they will do something. Sorry, I don't have time to fight with Amazon and/or WD.

After some online investigation I found that WD canceled the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN aka WD20EADS (2TB WD SATA II with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty), probably because they payed a lot of warranty money by reason of: their drives rarely worked for 3 years.

A few people write that the model WD20EARX can be used instead of the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN, but it is not my case. SATA III WD20EARX model does not work with my SATA II controller. Any WD recommendations about speed decreasing and any jumper settings don't work too. I bough an eSATA enclosure which works with the model WD20EARX I received, and began to use HD with the enclosure. I hope it will work at least 2 years...
88 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2011
This was a "retail" packaged hard drive purchased for a new computer build. It was shipped in a timely fashion and arrived on regular UPS schedule. It has been a long time since I bought a "retail" hard drive and find it to be no different than an OEM, that is, no cables, no accessories, no utilities. The price was good so nothing lost, just surprised that "retail" apparently is no different than OEM, except possibly the wrapper. The drive itself is quiet and works. Can't ask for more. Ownership less than one month.
on January 5, 2013
The 3TB hard drive has proven to be very adequate as a back up drive but I initially almost sent it back because it showed only 746 GBytes capacity in a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I called the manufacturer on 3 January 2013 to ask what was going on but Western Digital first told no-one else had reported such a problem and then, after persisting, that changing the format from MBR to GPT would fix it. But changing format made practically no difference by itself - it actually reduced the drive size by a couple hundred KB. So much for WD's help desk. But a quick internet search showed many instances of the same problem - some reported even on WD's own website. But WD's website never came out with a specific solution. As the computer (Dell E6510 Latitude notebook) had an Intel chipset, a quick visit to the Intel website and a quick scan of its diagnostic tool showed me a new driver available to accommodate hard drives over 2 TB. Installation of the new driver and then a reboot fixed the problem. Note that was the Intel web site, not the Dell web site.
on January 6, 2013
I will not buy any other brand of hard drive. I have in excess of 20 hard drives that I have bought over the past 15 years. All of them are Western Digital. Even the 10.1gb drive that was my first, 15 years ago, is still working.

I have bought 4 of these "green" drives over the last two years and one of them is already dead. I didn't even use it regularly. It was just used for backup and to store files to be moved from one drive to another.

These 5400rpm drives are worse than going out and buying a black and white TV. And worse than that, my 12-15 year old 5200rpm drives still work, even after using them constantly to run my computer over the years. These green drives are slow to access and move data but are fast to go to "sleep", even in the middle of trying to defrag them. I had to leave an audio file playing over and over in a loop just to keep it from going to sleep in the middle of a defrag.

Sure they run cooler but at a very high price. Life expectancy is much more important than cool to me. I would much rather suck up a whole 5 watts of power and have my computer working properly than to be "green" and have worthless machine. The day I cannot afford to spend 20 cents a month to run a decent hard drive, I will throw my computer away. I don't live in 1999 anymore and I don't want a computer that functions like I do. If you do, this is the drive for you.

I will not buy anymore of these at any price. The 7200rpm drives are only a few dollars more than these anyway. No more data loss for me. I am sticking with the better drives from now on.

By the way I do have and highly recommend the My Book Studio II drives. They are also called green drives but they are 7200rpm. They work great and function exactly like any other 7200rpm Western Digital drive. None of the problems that I have had with these 5200rpm drives.
on September 10, 2013
Right now, my review is 5 stars. I purchased these instead of the reds mainly because of price. I have dealt with WD before, and I know once they replace your drive in warranty, your warranty is extended because you just got a brand new drive. If after 3 times of replacing your drive and you send it in again, you can request a better drive. I use this to my advantage.

Yes, these drives only have a 1 year warranty, where as the blues and reds have 3 year, and black has a 5 year. But again, you cannot beat the price.

I now have 4 greens in ZFS raid with a usable disk space of 8.7 tb with redundancy for my home server, and 2 more drives in my workstation in raid1 that does backups of critical data weekly from the home server. meaning if one drive fails, in either my my home server or my workstation, data is still safe.

The drives themselves are pretty quiet even when under 100% load, thanks to both the low spin rate as well as the rubber mounting brackets they rest on. I can hardly hear them click with my ear next to the machine.

My server does weekly backups of all the machines in the family, a total of 24 devices ranging from smartphones and iphones to imacs, laptops, and workstations. During the backup, I get a constant 115mb/s read-write to the server, and a 80mb/s on the raid1 backup in the workstation. Not only this, but the drives have a separate partition reserved for movies, music, photos, etc which stream through the house on demand. The drives will be put through 24-7-365 spin time, with terabytes of data written and erased weekly.

I will update this review as time comes.
on December 3, 2011
The intel Raid drivers has to be intalled to get this working on my windows home server(HP x310). So far no issues. I get an average 80MB/s read and 40MB/s write and I am happy with it.