Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Edit: 5/31/2016

Recently, I gave this game another chance and have since come to appreciate it a bit more than when I originally wrote this review. I think my initial disappointment was due to the lack of things that were missing from the earlier Burnout games. The lack of "Crash" mode where the objective is to create the biggest, most expensive pileups as possible, was an extremely fun mode. Plus, the omission of "Aftertouch Takedowns" in which you have limited control over the direction of your crashes and if you can steer your crash into another vehicle, you are rewarded with instant recovery and full speed. There were other small details present in the earlier games which are not present here.

Once you get past that however, you are left with a really capable open world racing game. The map is pretty large so theres a nice variety of inner city races, and rural mountainous races that give good variety. The gameplay is quite fun and is a refreshing alternative to the "street racing simulators" that the Need for Speed franchise has turned into.

The graphics also hold up pretty well. Considering this game was released in 2009 and I am writing this in 2016, the graphics still look pretty good. Sure, they don't have the hyper-realistic reflection and fog effects of modern NFS games with full DX12 support, but it doesn't need to. This is an arcade racing game that is meant to be fast. The biggest upside to this is that you can achieve very high frame rates on modest modern PCs.

Now that Criterion (the developer for this game) is in charge of the Need for Speed franchise, it is unlikely that the Burnout series will ever been re-visited, which is a huge shame in my opinion. This style of fast action arcade racing is a lot of fun, and as much as I like the NFS franchise, they all seem to feel the same. I dont want realistic physics or accurate handling. I want to go fast and see big explosions and thats what Burnout Paradise gets right.

If by chance, someone from Criterion or EA reads this, please bring this franchise back. And if you bring it back, keep everything thats already in Burnout Paradise, but add back many of the things that made Burnout 3 on the original Xbox so much fun!

----------------------------------

I fondly remember the first Burnout games on the original Xbox and when I built a new gaming PC, I wanted to see if there were any fun arcade-style (not a sim) racing games. I was pleased to see that there was a PC version of the Burnout franchise, and even though its over 6 years old, it still had good reviews. Burnout Paradise has a lot of the same features as the original Burnout games, like the takedowns, and the various racing modes.

One thing they did very different with Paradise was make it an "open world" type concept, which sounds like a great idea, but the problem I have with it, is that I like arcade racing games, because they're quick to pick up, race a couple of times, and then move onto something else. In this game, you are in a virtual city and you have to drive from event to event. Many of the events are triggered by doing a burnout at a stop light, but its not always obvious where all of the events are. If you are in one part of the city and you want to do a specific event, you have to drive there.

At first, this isn't a big deal because the game is fun, but after a short while this gets old because you are just nonstop driving around trying to find events. Maybe I have a serious case of ADD, but I prefer the traditional way of game design where if I want to race a specific Takedown match on the beach, I just select it from a menu. I dont want to have to drive all across a city to that part of the map just to start a certain event.

Seeing as this game is 6 years old, I would like to see an updated Burnout game. Mostly just to take advantage of the latest graphics and PC hardware. By no means does this game look back, but it definitely looks dated. Overall, its a fun game, and it will bring back a bit of nostalgia if you remember the original Xbox game, but the tedious driving around the city looking for things to do gets old, and for me, this kills the replay value.
on June 11, 2012
My favorite game yet.

My one criticism of Burnout, the first time I played an earlier version of the game, was that the physics and crashes were super lame and utterly ridiculous. I was playing that on XBox or PS3 (can't remember which).

This is the first time I have seen a Burnout game on PC. I got it, and I have to say I have never seen a more compelling game. For one thing, it works even without a fancy graphics card, but nonetheless preserves attractive realistic shading. I have a Dual-Core 2.00 GHz Pentium processor on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with the default chipset and 4 GB of RAM. Also, it has a map with every kind of temperate territory you can name (except, perhaps, Piedmont pine forests) :-)

There are 75 cars which are not real (Ford, Chevy, Ferrari, etc.), but look very real and probably are close spin-offs. Events are sprinkled throughout the city which you win to win new cars. Sometimes, for an extra challenge, you have to shut a car down to win it.

My favorite game yet.
on December 29, 2015
Great game - not a realistic simulator by any stretch of the imagination, but a fairly big map to explore and lots of re-playability. Even as old as this game is now, it still looks decent and plays very smooth. The online multiplayer mode is a little weak but the single player challenges don't disappoint. My only real wish is that there was a crash/mayhem/destruction mode like in some other games from the Burnout series, or a newer Burnout game, as it seems like this was the end for Burnout, sadly.
on May 27, 2017
Do not buy. "The license limit for this product has been reached" is all I get. This is a rip off and you pay for the download but are given a product key that is already used.
on November 21, 2012
I downloaded this game through Origin and it is part of my Origin library. I have Burnout Legends for the PSP and this game leaves it in the dust. Sending the competition to 'Paradise' is just total Demolition Derby heaven in this game. I always use a controller with driving games. It runs without a hiccup on my Win7 machine.
on March 6, 2016
I asked this guy if game runs on Windows 10 pro 64 bit prior to purchasing, his reply was yes. The truth is that it doesn't run on windows 10 PC. Want refund, this is crap
on March 26, 2012
I'm not a racing fan, but this game is surprisingly fun. Zooming down the streets and drifting around corners is simple and satisfying. Great game for just about anyone, even if you don't normally like these kinds of games.

My only gripe with the game is that it doesn't include all the dlc and there are no plans to release the rest of the dlc for the pc version. I wanna drive the DeLorean.
on March 24, 2017
Game was working, but the Codes have expired, and game is not working after typing it. Biggest disappointment from amazon.
on August 10, 2014
Excellent game and works well on Windows 7! One tip: if you want to gain access to the features which EA no longer offers online, along with Big Surf Island, download the Vanity Pack. A group of online players did the programming for it and it is available for free; just search for it. Also, as of August 2014, there are still quite a few people playing online!
on December 29, 2014
I had this on PS3 and it is just a fun arcade racer.
It is true that EA has abandoned the game and essentially just ported it for some quick cash. But the basic mechanics are fun nonetheless as long as you arent looking for online play.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.