Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 149 reviews
on March 11, 2015
Firstly I will state that I have read all three books in this series, and it is largely due to my enjoyment of how McGowan deeply plunges into history, exploring various historical stories, lineages, and characters. While I was definitely engaged in the first two books in this series (particularly The Book of Love) and enjoyed this book's historical portrayal of the Medici characters and insight into Florentine/Italian culture, the rest of this book fell short of being entirely captivating.

The story and the characters from Maureen and Berenger's world seemed to become very one-dimensional and predictable– their story is set parallel to the Medici story from another time and place, and since the characters are set as victims to the cycles of history it becomes obvious what will happen next. This predictability became annoying alongside the suspenseful writing style, which then only made the story feel a bit forced and a tad corny. Along these same lines, I felt that the continuous heart-spilling of everlasting romance and eternal devotion between the male and female characters seemed way overdone. It reminded me of the modern day drama of sappy teenagers who confess their undying love and broken hearts to each other for the world to see on social media. I mean, I understand that McGowan's characters are in love and connected in a deep and soulful way, but is it necessary for them to confess these things so achingly and repeatedly? I feel like, in true love, there's no need to say so much all of the time, and so I got bored with the drama of the love stories. I also feel like McGowan tried so very hard to clearly convey the mysterious nuances of the many secret teachings, love affairs, and historical mysteries that she completely unraveled them in a way that they fell flat and became bland. I suppose there is a delicacy, when writing about mystery, not to reveal too much, otherwise mystery can become lost...

Overall, this was not my favorite book of McGowan's, but I definitely plan to check out what else she might produce in the future.
on July 31, 2014
I thought all 3 books in this series were excellent. I really enjoyed this book. I didn't find it slow or lacking as some reviewers did. I loved learning about Lorenzo Medici and all of the wonderful people in his life. I thought the present time with Maureen and her friends was well-developed as well, if not shorter than Lorenzo's story. There is always a darkness keeping Maureen and Berenger from fulfilling their prophecy and I enjoyed the plots in this novel. (I hate spoilers so I won't say more.) I thought the end was solid and quite beautiful. I would definitely be interested in reading more from McGowan, whether she uses these characters or not. She's an excellent storyteller and I'm loving the fact based fiction genre. I would absolutely recommend this series. I myself am not a religious person, but I was totally engrossed with this series. They are well worth the read for any person who enjoys a good historical, mystery/suspence or religious novel.
on November 8, 2013
I found the third book terribly redundant. The first half rehashes all that happened in the first 2 novels & while a few clues in case the reader has not read the prior books is acceptable, a repeat of several chapters is excessive & frankly unnecessary. The characters had little chance to develop in this part of the trilogy. I found myself longing for the adventures & new bits of history that characterized the first 2 books of the trilogy. Further in, the story line brightens with the Medici family twists & turns, a cast of characters mentioned in history with careless glances suddenly brought to life as real people you might have a glass of wine with. And Gaius' character is splendidly created as some depth as well. These things redeemed the dull slog of the first several bits & that reminder will probably spur to read more of McGowan's works. The first 2 books in the trilogy were quite good, if a tad predictable romantically, & I will likely read them over again as a set.
on April 12, 2016
This is my 3rd time reading this series, every time I learn more and more about myself, art and the great untold stories of
And the destiny and purpose for my life!
I am so grateful to Kathleen for this series, it is truly making my
Life richer!
Your life will be richer learning about great men and woman who lived
There lives for God's glory.. Through love,art and living to make this world a
Place that reflects heaven on earth!
on March 17, 2014
This book is the third of the series, and the author is planning at least one more. There may be additional volumes to follow. As a lover of history, mythology, and art; I find Kathleen’s novels fun and fascinating. I also believe that Mary Magdalene’s true role in history and religion has been repressed and hidden. These books are fun for anyone sharing interests in these topics. Some will find some of the ideas suggested here heretical or blasphemous, but they do so because of closed minds and fear. There is no harm in considering possibilities and wondering about the truth. I am sure that I will read and enjoy the next book in the series.
Michael Travis Jasper, Author of the Novel “To Be Chosen”
on December 22, 2013
This is the continuing saga that started with her book, The Expected One. Her main characters, Maureen Paschal and Berenger Sinclair continue their Divine Purpose of securing the sacred writings and teachings of Jesus, the chronicled histories of those often martyred individuals who gave all to live, learn and teach the Divine Truths. As in the previous two books, I can attest that Kathleen McGowan's many years of research have unearthed many truths that have been hidden over the centuries from the destructive forces of organized religions, and written as novels to be certain they were published. The only reason I gave this book 4 stars is because it was a bit slower reading than the other two books, but certainly worth the read.
on September 15, 2014
This aligns perfectly with the other books she has written and is consistent in its insistence on the female divine and the progeny of Jesus through Mary Magdalene. it does give a lovely presentation of Renaissance Florence and its flowering of art.Good but not great.
on April 13, 2015
This book, the third in the series, was one I could not put down. Not only did McGowan make ME fall in love with Lorenzo de Medici, she led me to further study on the man, his family, and the time he lived. My favourite book she has written so far!
on September 1, 2013
I find the unconventional view of Jesus' teachings intriguing and challenging. As the third book in the Magdeline line it expands the view of history from the early days in southern France theough Matilda of Tuscany into the Renaissance of the Medicis. I particularly enjoy going into the conventional historical record to verify the historical setting in the book. McGowan's historical research is accurate as far as I have been able to determine and the explanation of her methods, approach, and limitations is plausible. She knows what she is doing and does it well.
Suffice it to say that I appreciate her preview of her next book that she gives in the Epilog. I look forward to its publicaton.
on July 4, 2014
Kathleen's research is amazing.........these books are a combination of history, suspense, love...............passed down oral history........very interesting............just makes me want to know more..............I know she is going to do a e-book in the future, but I love the feel and smell of a book...........plus you can read it in sun light............reading on the computer or kindle kill my eyes, I am hoping the e-book will come out in paperback. I am in the process of re-reading these books and continue to pick up on things I missed the first time around............