Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon November 7, 2009
"One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity" by Debbie Macomber is a completely wonderful book that uses scripture and stories to show the reader that a life of generosity is not only possible, but very powerful. I was touched more than once by the personal anecdotes shared by the author, examples of how to live in a generous way and value other human beings.

This book taught me that the little things really do matter. It gave me ideas of things to do to show others that they matter, as well. This book should be a must read for every person on the planet. If everyone read it and adopted even a small bit of what is written between these covers, the world would be a much better place.
Debbie MaComber, best known for her fictional books, has written a wonderful non-fictional book about discovering the power of generosity. Using her gift as a story teller, Debbie weaves little stories throughout this book. Debbie talks about being generous in the acts of gratitude, sharing, encouragement, good deeds, forgiveness, seeing others through God's eyes, giving, listening, hospitality, hope, celebrating, caring for others, taking time for eternal things, prayer, sharing our faith stories, and serving.

Debbie describes how she has applied these different acts of generosity in her life, and how it has blessed her and those around her. She gives practical advice on how we can learn to be more generous in our lives. The gift of giving isn't just about monetary giving. I know that I walked away with more ideas on how our family can be more generous to others. Debbie concludes the book with study questions for each chapter and a list of her favorite charities.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was my first Debbie Macomber book, though my wife is a huge fan.

"One Simple Act" is a non-fiction book about why being generous is good for givers, with lots of practical tips. Better, it is not just another ode to guilt. Rather, it gets into the science of why generosity is also good for givers, along with numerous stories of actual instances of generosity, with plentiful tips for those interested in becoming more generous.

Many of the included stories were already known to me, such as the opening one of Corrie Ten Boom and the fleas. Others were new. I was happy to read (re-read) them all, and glad to have them all together for future reference.

The book includes useful chapters on gratitude, forgiveness, listening, hospitality, correspondence, care-giving, and prayer. Notably, many of those require little or no money, just time and attention.

This book could be read as a daily devotional, perhaps a chapter a day. I recommend that approach, as some ideas soaked in better in small doses.

Some ideas I particularly liked:
Science documenting benefits of gratitude, forgiveness and prayer
The difference between praise and encouragement
Keeping good deeds simple and meaningful
The idea that heroes are more likely to be empathic than courageous
Fred Roger's idea for explaining 9-11 to children: "Tell them to watch the helpers."

My favorite line from the book is this: "very often the ones asking loudest are not the ones the Lord would have us support." Amen, sister! Contributing to some causes only accomplishes being asked to give more.

Overall, a worthy read.
VINE VOICEon December 11, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was not familiar with Debbie Macomber (and since she is apparently best know as one of "today's leading voices in women's fiction" I think I am okay with that!) until reading "One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity." I chose to read the book primarily because of the sub-title. I believe those of us who recognize how blessed we are should be quick to be a blessing to others. I discovered Macomber believes so too. In "One Simple Act" she shares through numerous stories how powerful a simple act of generosity can be in the life of another. The stories are not only treats to read, but they give very practical examples of just how easy it is for us to become a person of extravagant generosity. She helps us to understand how giving the gifts of prayer, hospitality, service, time and encouragement can have a lasting impact on both the one who receives as well as the one who gives.
on December 14, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Probably because I like Debbie Macomber's work, I thought this book was OK. Normally I would have been cynical about it. But it is really about making the world a better place by acts of kindness. She gives examples of true stories and things based on true stories that tell how being kind and doing for others can make things better for many. With her motivating messages you find out how by just being generous and giving time, encouragement and even forgiveness can help change someone's life, including your own. These aren't things that we don't know but the examples she gives do somewhat motivate you, especially at this holiday time of the year. The fact that she invites the reader to do this and offer it up to God may be a little too much for people who aren't into religion but I didn't feel like it was being pushed at you. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised I liked it as much as I did and came away feeling a little better about my neighbors and the world.
on November 21, 2015
A very interesting and challenging book. Interesting stories with inspirational suggestions for many creative ways of being generous. Debbie Macomber never disappoints me. This is one choice of our United Methodist Women's required reading for the year and I am glad that it was included. Most of us have so much that we can share, not just in material items but ways to practice generosity as a way of life daily.
on March 4, 2015
I have the paperback of this book and liked it so well that I bought the Kindle digital version. It is such a neat book that you can read it over and over and benefit by the wisdom in it more and more as it read it again and again. Thanks, Debbie!
on November 3, 2014
My girlfriend recommended this book to me and I must say that it is thought provoking and heart warming at the same time. Generosity is something that is a trait of our loving Savior, and this book highlights practical ways to be generous.
on November 28, 2011
What a great book and an easy read! I have read and reread this book on a daily basis. It is the kind of book that you can pick out one of the stories and read it as a way to begin your day with inspiration, or as a nighttime read that will end your day with positive thoughts. One of the stories ( you will know which one if you buy this book ), sends chills through me every time I read it, and I have reread it several times for this reason, and it still fills me with awe. How blessed we are to have these stories, truly a must read book. If you are struggling to forgive, been hurt by someone you feel does not deserve your forgiveness, this book could be life changing.
on June 26, 2014
This book is really inspiring. Everyone should read it, especially Ms. Macomber's fans.if you've ever wondered how you can make a difference in the lives of others, this book is for you, and it will enrich your own.