Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 104 reviews
on September 30, 2013
Oh my. Was this the worst book I ever read? No. But it's right down there at the bottom. It's Lori Roy's first novel, so I suppose one can forgive certain flaws for that reason, but it really doesn't excuse her editors. The characters are clichés. The story is uninspired. The setting and every single thing that takes place within it is dark and unvarying in tone. The book goes on and on and on for 352 pages. Why I kept reading past 150 of them is baffling to me. I suppose I hoped that Dennis Lehane's recommendation that it was "rich and evocative" would turn out to be true. Every chapter beyond the book's middle is a boring repetition of the ones before it. The ending is so anticlimactic, predictable and hackneyed that it made me want to weep for the time I wasted on this piece of dreck. Dear fellow readers, don't bother with this one. There are so many, much better books on our shelves waiting to be read.
on January 31, 2014
I chose this novel based on some of the good reviews I saw here and on Barnes & Noble. I did not like this book very much at all. This book was dark, depressing, sad, and really had nothing to redeem it. None of the characters were very relatable to me, nor were they likable. Winter, snow and cold were almost main characters in this story. Every other sentence described the bitter cold, frozen air, teeming snow, icy roads. All of this weather related description also added to the desolation of this novel. The only characters that i felt some sort of empathy for were Celia, the wife who is ripped from h er city existence and forced to live in the frozen wasteland with these bleak and troubled people. Daniel, the teenaged son I did like as well. Reesa, the grandmother repulsed me, as did Uncle Ray, Aunt Ruth, Father Flannery, etc. I found the cast of characters so warped, selfish, disturbed and extremely unlikable. I did not give away any spoilers here, but this book is rather predictable and I did not find it suspenseful at all. It certainly did not paint a very flattering picture of Kansas in the winter. I was so underwhelmed by this novel that i will never buy another by this author again.
on October 20, 2015
This book took me deep into the lives of each member of this family. Writers like Lori Roy are nothing short of artists with words for a medium. Most impressive is Ms. Roy's ability to build suspense. There were times that it was nearly unbearable and I found I had been holding my breath. I highly recommend this book. If you like Joyce Carol Oates, you will love this author!!
on August 11, 2015
This is the second book I've read by Lori Roy, and I have a third one to start tonight--I will read anything she writes. Bent Road is captivating, full of suspense, and beautifully written. Roy expertly and seamlessly moves in and out of 4 different characters' heads, maintaining a perfect close third person POV throughout the story even as the perspectives change. Each character is so distinct in voice, that after a time you don't even need the little indicator of a perspective change, you just know each character that well.
Once again, this author had me turning page after page in a race to get to the end, and I was not disappointed. She delivers this one perfectly from start to finish.
on November 22, 2012
.....and without giving too much away, this one reads like the best of Lehane's books, such as MYSTIC RIVER or TELL NO ONE. When Arthur moves his family - his wife, Celia and his children Dan, Evie and Elaine - back to the family homestead in Kansas, he really doesn't know what awaits them. Or perhaps he does, which was why he chose to keep his family in Detroit for the twenty years prior to their return. Arthur might be done with the past, but the past certainly isn't done with Arthur and his family. What takes place is a slow, mysterious unraveling of injuries, slights and possible crimes committed. Is anyone connected with this small farming community exempt from tragedy? The author's terrific building of suspense coupled with a lean narrative style really makes this book a page-turner. Not only is it a terrific mystery, but a tender coming-of-age story and the careful dissection of a conflicted marriage. That's a lot to get into one book. A true Lehane protege in every respect, this author is one to watch. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED....
on June 18, 2013
I found a preview for this a long time ago. I finished the preview in minutes, and realized, Yeah. I needed to get this book. Boy do I not regret that! Bent Road was very well written; it hooked me in that one preview, and only got better. What I saw the book to be about was the faces and secrets people hide, and the facades and masks they show. Some things that happened totally caught me by surprise, (I'm not going to spoil what, though) and I honestly never knew what was around the corner. I would definitely recommend this book, with all my heart. Enjoy your trip down Bent Road, because it just might be the ride of your life.
on September 9, 2015
The writer wrote a very good story, but my challenge was trying to stay on track, follow the characters and distinguish whether or not a character was thinking, reminiscing or actually speaking from time to time.I also found myself going back a paragraph or two in order to keep my thinking in the proper perspective.
on May 4, 2012
The setting of this story in rural Kansas in the mid-1960's was very believable with interesting details. the characters varied. At times they came alive; at other times, they seemed to be near stereotypes. I had an especially hard time figuring out Evie and Daniel, the youngest children. Is Daniel really a child, a teenager, a young man; it's a struggle he is going through but not always one that seemed true to character. Evie's obsession with the dead Aunt Eve also seemed to be a bit of a stretch. The rest of the plot, the mysterious death of Aunt Eve and the mysterious disappearance of the pretty young neighbor girl seemed realistic and interesting.
All in all, this was a good "back porch" (since I'm far from the beach) type of read. It's a good story, but not one that will stick with me forever.
on June 9, 2017
This book kept me on the edge of my seat.
Suspense throughout. Going to read another book
By this author
on July 19, 2016
This was my first Lori Roy book. I loved it and have since read a couple more. Love her style and can't wait to read Until She Comes Home.