Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2010
Mobigloo has now updated Mahjong Solitaire, as of January 21, 2011, and they changed the method of maneuvering around the layout. The navigation is now from tile to tile, which makes the game a lot more enjoyable to play. And if you hold down your directional button you can almost fly across the layout to reach tiles you want. This great improvement has resulted in my rating being upgraded to 5-Stars. If you already have this game, and you are happy with the navigation, then you may not want to update to the new version. But trust me, this new navigation is a whole lot better! My original review, minus the mention of the previously non-intuitive navigation, is below.....
_________________________________________

REVIEW:

This is an excellent version of Mahjong for the Kindle.

This is the typical game of Mahjong that just about everyone knows and has played. There are two different sets of tiles you can use. The normal set makes the game a little tougher, as the tiles are harder to differentiate since they are not in color. The easier set of tiles simply has numbers or letters on them. I would suggest this set when first playing the game, until you get comfortable with playing on a Kindle.....then move to the tougher set of tiles.

There are ten layouts available, and it's a pretty good selection. Each layout will provide you with an endless supply of possible games. There is also a "Fastest Times" list that will show you your best time on each layout completed.

You can shuffle the tiles if you get stuck, up to three times per game. You can also ask for a hint up to three times per game. In addition, you can undo your moves as often as you want.

If you like Mahjong then I definitely recommend this game. It looks great on a Kindle, as do most games, and it's a great break from reading.
423 helpful votes
424 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2010
Buying a Kindle was definitely the best idea ever. Not only can I read books, newpapers, magazines and blogs, I can now play all of my favorite word and puzzle games on my Kindle as well. New games for Kindle appear almost on a daily basis, so there is always something new and fun to experiment with. I love Mahjong but for some reason I was convinced that a version of this game that would work well on my 2nd generation Kindle could never be developed. I am extremely happy to have been proven wrong. Mahjong Solitaire is great!

The graphics are beautiful. Every tile is very distinct. I only play the traditional version because that's what I'm used to. Still, even though there are no colors, I have no problem distinguishing the tiles. During the first couple of games one needs to figure out how to move the pointer to reach the tiles you need, but then you get the hang of it very fast and it becomes very easy to play. There are 10 different layouts to experiment with, so the game never gets boring.

In short, the Kindle version of Mahjong Solitaire is as good as any on-line version I have ever found but it has the added advantage of always being easily accessed on my Kindle.
199 helpful votes
200 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on March 21, 2012
I'd never played Mahjong (or Mahjong Solitaire?) before, so I can't compare it to anything else, but I enjoyed this. I was apprehensive before buying it, given the reasonings behind the negative reviews, but I have been playing it (on a Kindle Touch)on and off since November and I haven't had any major issues. I enjoy the relaxed nature of this puzzle game, which consists of stacked tiles with pictures and symbols on them, and you just match each tile with another identical tile, eventually matching every tile in the pile as you remove the matches and uncover more. There are 2 sets of each pair, so ultimately 4 of each tile per game. The skills in the game are planning for matching tiles under stacks (so you don't get stuck being unable to cover the next tile you need, but you can "shuffle" the tiles and get unstuck), and also it is timed, so beating your best time. There's multiple layouts for the tiles, and the individual tile locations vary each game, so it's never the same.

The one issue I had was very infrequently I'd get to my last 2 tiles and they'd be stacked on each other. You'd think you could just shuffle them, but it lays them out exactly the same, still stacked, so there's no way to beat that game. Which is SO FRUSTRATING when it would be your fastest time ever, and it won't let you finish the game. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this game.
on January 5, 2013
When I bought this, I thought I'd just be playing it when my laptop was packed up or otherwise engaged. Nope - I had to force myself to put it down, and I spent one entire vacation day just playing Mahjong until my wrists were sore! (Now I allow myself only three games a day, and never after I go to bed - otherwise, I fall asleep with the Kindle in my hand.)

Ten different layouts of varying difficulty are provided, and the program allows for 3 shuffles of the tiles (no more deadlocked games) and will even give hints. A list of best time for each layout is also kept, so I can set myself a goal of so many minutes for each layout.

I would like to have seen an explanation of the traditional tileset (coins, bamboo, etc.), but the game instructions are just focused on the process of play, not its history. Other than that, it's a delightful game - it would be my favorite if it weren't so addictive!
on October 6, 2013
I have a Kindle Paperwhite reader and was concerned about some of the comments made by others who purchased this game. I tried it anyway and found it worked very well on a Paperwhite. Those who complained about not being able to use the hints and shuffles perhaps don't have the latest version or failed to understand how they work. The info along the bottom is just that ... information. You must use the menu in the upper right corner to access these two features. I find they work just fine. The reason I gave this a 4 rather than 5 rating is the difficulty reading the small numbers on a 7" screen. I have poor eyesight in one eye which makes it difficult to distinguish between a 6, 8 and 9. But that should be less of a problem for people with good vision. I love the game and recommend it highly to people who enjoy the computer version of Mahjong.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on September 5, 2012
The reviews that mention that the game is black & white do not affect me since I have a regular Kindle so EVERYTHING is in black and white. With that said, there are times when it is difficult to see but not enough to affect gameplay. There are many different levels which different shapes of the game board. Some are better than others with navigation. My biggest complaint, though, is that several times during gameplay, my Kindle will suddenly restart, lose the game I had spent 5-10 minutes playing, and then take several more minutes to restart. I have also seen where I have tried to open up Mahjong Solitaire in my main menu and it comes back with an Error message trying to open and after a few tries, it restarts my Kindle. So that is unfortunate.
on June 13, 2012
I should have read the discussion board before I purchased this. This game does not play well using the kindle touch. The shuffle and hint features do not work. I played two games, and could not get these features to work. I contacted mobigloo to see if there were some additional instructions. It has been two days now, and they have not responded. The third time I started this game it game froze up completely. Touching a match resulted in the screen flashing; but the game would neither remove the tiles nor allow you select any different tiles. This game should be clearly labeled as "not for kindle touch".

Addendum: 45 minutes after I posted this review, Mobigloo responded to my e-mail to them. they said to use the shuffle and hint features, you must touch the menu button on the top right of the screen. Too bad they didn't include this in the instructions that came with the game. As for the freezing, I'm not sure if there's any fix for that so I'm still leaving my rating at one star for now.

Update: The fourth time I played a game, matched tiles would not remove themselves from the screen until I selected a third tile. The fifth game I attempted to play froze up when I selected the shuffle feature and completely brought down my Kindle, I had to power down the Kindle completely. Now when I power it up, I can't see anything but advertisements. I can't get to my menu. I'm changing my review title to all caps since it appears I'm not the only one who's had problems and neither Mobigloo nor Amazon/Kindle has acted to alert Kindle Touch users.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on September 13, 2012
This is an interesting game that could still use some improvements. Specifically, (1) the screen image moves slower than the controller inputs, so it's easy to overshoot your target and select the wrong tile; (2) Occasionally with some of the formats, a section of tiles becomes unreachable, at least for a period of time, so that you cannot complete the moves you would like to make; (3) Sometimes, the controller reacts oddly -- if you overshoot to the left, for example, by one tile, correcting to the right by one tile doesn't always fix the problem, but instead sends the cursor in a different direction; (4) The game includes a "Record time" screen for each of the 10 game layouts. For reasons unknown, two of the ten now show that a game was completed in 1 second, and another in 9 seconds -- obviously impossible -- but there doesn't seem to be any way to cancel out the time log and start over with new record times. (Average time to complete a game is 13-16 minutes, depending upon the tile layout.)

Later update: The scorekeeping is weird. Occasionally a fast time that's been recorded just disappears from the list and is replaced by a different time. In addition, most of the game scores are now shown as just a couple of seconds - and these erroneous phantom scores never seem to disappear or get replaced by real numbers. There doesn't appear to be any way to reset the score times and start over.

Other than these issues, the game has variety and interest, and can be a great and addictive time waster --
2 helpful votes
on January 31, 2011
Considering the limitations of the Kindle, I think this game is amazingly well done. I found the cursor movement to be pretty easy. It's true that it doesn't always go where you expect or think you are directing. It's clearly got some sort of intelligence programmed into the movement, and that sometimes doesn't work perfectly. Still, it's not that big a deal and the quirks are easily learned and dealt with.

I found the alphabet (easy) tile set to be wonderful. I've always had trouble distinguishing the tiles in Mahjong games, and only play with alternate tile sets for that reason. I'd love to see this set available in a regular computer game. I didn't try the traditional set. I don't like that set in color on a big screen, and so I don't imagine I'll care for it in black and white on a small screen. The alternate set is wonderful and I'll stick with it.

The game has ten different layouts, the traditional one and nine others. I found some of the nine to be quite easy, others more challenging.

The one thing I'd like to know is if the layouts are winnable. Some Mahjong applications make that an optional setting so that the board can be won if it is played right. When I know that, I will use the undo and work on the board until I am able to complete it. Without that assurance, I usually won't put in the effort, because it may be futile no matter how long I play. I have not used the undo feature on this game yet, so I'm unsure how far back you can go with it.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 2, 2011
It's a good interface, takes only a few minutes to get used to. It navigates over every tile, as opposed to skipping only to tiles that are available, but I guess that might be to keep from using the interface as a cheat (maybe?).

One thing to watch out for - do not go 'home' directly from a game, the kindle will freeze either then or when you reopen the game, and the kindle has to reboot. Also try not to go 'home' after pausing the game, it also seems to freeze up and the counting of the time gets messed up.

Overall totally worth the couple dollars it costs, I have been sick and spent a few hours at least playing this game to take my mind off things.

There are 10 layouts, all of them are fun. My average time for completing them is around 15 minutes, some a few less and some a few more.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.