Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Atom Drop-Through Longboard
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on January 6, 2013
Let me start by saying I have bought and used this board as well as used the green version of this deck. The only difference between the two is the color and the wheels. Let me continue to say that I am an avid, and experienced longboarder.

Deck
This board isn't bad. The only boards better than this for the price are Churchillm boards. Go to their website at churchillmfg to check out their stuff. Super great quality for cheap. It's unheard of. Anywho, this board is a 7 ply with camber (as most 7 plys are). This means the board is slightly convex from truck to truck to allow for the flex of the board. As a drop through deck with 7 plys, it is a breeze to push. really comfy ride. It's slightly concave (from side to side) but nothing to get your hopes up about as it is fairly flat. The board is wider in the back than the front. Doesn't make that big of difference but I prefer symmetrical boards for tricks. This board isn't uncomfortable to ride switch so I wouldn't be worried about that. However, it doesn't have any kicks. One side has about as much as a loaded dervish (which many people manage to trick on) and the other side is almost impossible to trick on.

Wheels
The wheels have a durometer of 78a. That means they are soft wheels and are grippy. This makes for a comfortable ride a no fear of the board sliding out from under you. You can break these in to do slides if you're interested in getting into that. These wheels have a rounded lip. That means they are easier to break into slides with and will cone more naturally. Normally you can do that with any wheel, but take the green Atom for example: The wheels have a flat lip and the thane used in the wheel is clearly cheap and meant to grip. This can lead to chunking in which the wheels will break off in chunks instead of breaking down in the cone shape. A good longboarder will chunk or even flatspot either of these wheels with a big slide. A beginner will learn how to get comfortable riding these just fine.

Bearings
Comes with ABEC 5 bearings. That means...SLOW. They're not horrible. They're the same ABEC 5 bearings that come stock with most completes. However, Bones Reds are better (and are the cheapest on Amazon). If you have a hill in front of your house that you, or your son/daughter will be riding and you or they or whoever is inexperienced, these stock ABEC 5's will do fine. If you're on flats with only slightly hilly spots and are inexperienced, Bones Reds all the way. They're faster and better, period.

Trucks
GARBAGE. Worst part about the deck. It has double barrel bushings of some durometer which I don't know. Personally double barrel is my favorite setup because it's the most stable and they have the best return to center after turning or carving. The trucks though are really cheap. One was totally fine and the other was slightly bent making my wheels spin slower (I did numerous tests with wheels to make sure it was the truck). Last my board was run over by a car. One of the trucks COMPLETELY broke. The fat part before the axles not only bent but also fractured. Metal doesn't just fracture. I can understand it bending a bit under a car but this was ridiculous. Metal doesn't fracture like that unless it has impurities. My new deck (this atom deck broke under the car) has with Bear Grizzly trucks which come stock with double barrels and it's godly.

Conclusion
This is a great beginner board. If you've ridden a skateboard before or are just comfortable pushing and riding, go for a cheap Churchill board or just upgrade the bearings to Bones Reds. They're high quality and cheap. Churchillmfg is the website. One of my favorite brands. Oh and if you snowboard you'll be comfy riding but not pushing most likely. My buddy used to snowboard and that was his problem. He picked up fast tho :D
on December 26, 2010
If you want a smooth ride you will want this board. This board is real easy to push i love it the wheels are alot bigger than what i thought this board will last along time and if you buy it you will be happy you did.Like most boards when they get to you you have to loosin the for stearing it's already done for you great turning also.The wood is very strong and flexible.Come on and buy you will love it just as much as i do
33 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2012
As an avid skate and snowboarder, longboarding has become a solid form of reliable and fun transportation in my college life. After skateboarding for over ten years I can say I am very pleased with the transition from a small unstable board- to a larger, more forgiving, and maneuverable deck such as the "Atom Drop-Through." The board itself, arriving a little late, is beautiful to say the least. The deck itself, made up of an unknown wood, is layered seven times- offering a large amount of flex but also a decent amount of strength while riding. It sports black, white, and candy red stripes/wheels to really turn heads during cruising. Grip tape also feels high quality despite lacking any design found on other Atom boards. My first ride was great, on smooth pavement and on small slopes you could really get low and carve. However as expected the ABEC 5 bearings did not offer much wheel spin- making level ground and uphill riding more difficult than it should be. Another oddity is that one of the front wheels (after slow easy riding), already felt unstable after one ride.

Once I began using the board on campus I became pleased with its downhill abilities even more, easily getting up to speeds of 15-25 mph. Because of the flex however, the board tends to flex and bounce on high speed maneuvers (I'm 6'0 and 150- for anyone heavier it might be a little scary). The biggest let down of the board however is the constant retightening of the trucks- after a few days of riding on bricks and pavement I was horrified to notice how loose my trucks became- missing a couple screw heads can screw you over... so buy a cheap skateboard tool. Other students with more expensive boards can identify the cheap $100 qualities such as the wheel size and trucks.

In conclusion: if you're under the age of 15 and want to try longboarding out- by all means buy this. If you have experience with skating and want to try a drop though... there's a reason why good decks cost $300+
on June 24, 2013
I love this board. This is my first longboard, and it has been fantastic. I rode a buddy's top-mount (if you know what I mean) and I like how much lower this is.

I initially over-tightened my trucks and didn't really like it at all.. loosened them back up and now it's fantastic.

The grip tape does seem like it might rub off pretty easily (can already see a little bit of wear after only a few hours of riding) but that's very easily and cheaply replaced.

Buy this board, you won't regret it.
on January 13, 2012
This was my first longboard and I love it! it came in perfect condition and shipped really fast. No problems with the board as far as I can tell, it performs well and It is sturdy but flexible. I have hit a few curbs and stuff but this board seems very durable and hast shown any signs of real wear yet, only minor dents on the very edge, so no complaints there. For this price, I'm very happy with the performance. I'm happy with the purchase.
on July 20, 2014
Easy and fun to ride. I use it mainly for transportation around my school and it works great. It rides very smooth and rolls for a while before i have to kick again. It has a great design and is durable. Overall its a great board to cruise around with.
on October 15, 2014
Overall great board, I live in a pretty flat area and It's super easy just to cruise around. Its perfect for beginners wanting to get into it. One thing I noticed when it came out of the box was there was a clearly visible scratch going halfway into the board. There was also many scuffs where the paint had come off on both tips. I didn't really care as I know it will get more scratches and scuffs over time. I'm not exactly sure if these were because they were shipped irresponsibly or this happened at the facility.
on August 10, 2014
I bought this for my 13 year old son for Christmas (2013) so he has only had it for 6 months -- really just a couple of months of riding weather. The nose broke right at the front wheels making it effectively useless. My son is 5'2 and weighs only ~100lbs. I definitely don't recommend this board.
on May 30, 2013
Very quick shipping the item came in perfect order and even though I paid for cheap shipping it arrived in two days! The trucks were even great. Although the bolts were almost impossible to find the proper Allen wrench for. Which made tightening them extremely hard. Lost bolts while riding but no harm done. After a long time I was finally able to loose all the bolts and I changed them out for some standard ones. It is a fantastic deck very sturdy
on January 28, 2013
This long board is great! Everything is set up perfectly and you can ride as soon as you get it! If you do crash, this board is great and is made with a lot of quality. :) All I did was buy some Bones Reds Bearings (just search that on amazon) I then installed them and loosened the trucks with a 9/16 wrench, and off I went. I have had this board for over a year now and it has lasted me great with no scuff marks on the deck itself and minor wear and tear to the wheels. Speaking of the wheels, they are the perfect size for bumps and small sticks and cracks. Also, they have good grip for carving, but you can break them in a little and get some really nice slides with them. Thanks for reading, and have a nice day! :)