Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 178 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 227 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 31, 2012
I could not be happier with this CPU. I really wanted HD Graphics 3000 that is built into the chip, which (1) has built in optimizations for HD video playback and conversions, (2) can offer a lower power usage than some power hungry graphics cards (less power, less cost, less heat, less noise from less heat to exhaust, and more reliability from lower heat), (3) is better than many entry level discrete graphics cards. Of course it doesn't really compare to the current generation of expensive high end graphics cards that cost almost as much as this chip, but it gives others a run for their money. I really wanted to make sure that viewing, editing, and converting video from my HD video camera was as optimized as possible, which is what HD Graphics 3000 can uniquely offer by being optimized right on the CPU. In terms of power, my system idles at about 50W.

The stock fan provided with the retail version is all that you need if you are not overclocking and have a case with decent airflow, like the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer. The desktop tools monitor (from my Intel DZ68BC motherboard) always shows that I am running at the low end of heat ranges for the CPU and temperature in my case. Heat hasn't remotely been a problem. I don't think the fan is whisper quiet though. However, there 2 important things to mention. (1) The power cable comes wrapped around the fan in what looks like cable management that you don't have to unwrap all the way. But the problem is the cable actually comes into contact with the fan blades at a few places that you might not notice at first. This would make noise, cause cooling problems, or burn up the chip if you don't unwrap it. I thought at first I could just uncoil a tiny bit to plug to the connector right next to it, but I am really glad I caught that. The instructions made no mention. (2) It didn't snap easily into place like the instructions say. I had to use a screwdriver to turn the nuts in the end on a few posts, but overall was easy, but I had to use a screwdriver despite instructions that said otherwise.

The 2700K versus this 2600K offers only 100MHz more, that's all, and is only a fractional improvement. So you just need to calculate the cost difference between the 2700K and 2600K and see if that is worth a measly 100MHz or not. If only a very small cost difference, I would definitely go with the 2700K. If a moderate or large difference, I wouldn't pay too much for only 100MHz. When I bought my i7-2600K, I would have had to pay 22% more to get far less of a gain in processing power. I have zero regrets with going with the i7-2600K and not waiting around for the 2700K to be a perfect value.
on February 1, 2011
I've upgraded from my E8400 to this CPU. Even when not overclocked, 2600K outperforms my E8400 exactly 3 times in video processing and rendering. Considering what I've paid for E8400 several years ago, difference in speed is just excellent.
on July 5, 2016
This is the best Intel CPU ever built and still holds up to this day. Overclocks extremely easy if you have a half decent cooler. I can hit 4.6ghz on just a 30 dollar Coolermaster Evo Heatsink while staying below 70c under full prime95 stress test. You put an even bulkier cooler on this and you could hit even lower temps, but the thing is, you really don't want to put more than 1.5 volts into it 24/7, so staying below 4.6ghz is the best idea. I like to keep mine below 1.45 volts.
on March 20, 2011
This processor is simply astounding. Period. I've run several benchmarks with it and have been totally satsified with the results. Forget i7 950's or even the ridiculous 980X; this processor shreds them all in most apps. It is also fairly energy efficient and is the OC champion of the day. Seriously, overclocking this processor is as easy as changing the multiplier in the bios to whatever you want (mine is set at x44 giving me 4533MHz). Add a decent cpu HSF and you can easily see 4.5-5.2 GHz on air!! These 32Nm chips are seriously quick and the Ivy Bridge processors of later this year will fit in the 1155 socket. Now is the time to get in on the Sandy Bridge bandwagon for sure!

Pors: Amazing stock speeds with incredibly simple overclock ability/Energy efficient/Low temps/Next generation architecture/AMD who???

Cons: None that I can think of...

Other notes: Buy the less expensive i5 2500k if you do not plan on heavy video encoding etc. The 2600k's feature set is pretty much useless for pure-gaming performance....
on February 21, 2012
Most people you see doing reviews for this are usually game enthusiasts. There are magazines dedicated to building "Dream Machine" PC gaming computers. So as a musician looking to build a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), most articles and reviews were not helpful. Definitely do your research as to what programs will be using and if the processor matches up. I use Cubase to record with. Fortunately enough, Cubase DOES utilize hyperthreading. Makes everything a little speedier and quicker. This thing is amazing as a for my DAW. I can run multiple VST's on tracks unfrozen with barely any CPU usage. I think with about 8 VST's, my CPU usage was only 7%. And thats insane since my last machine only had a dual-core @ 1.5 Ghz. On my dual-core system, that would have ran me up to about 30-40%.

I run Cubase to record live tracks. And I use FL 10 ran through re-wire into Cubase with Superior Drummer(X64). With additional drum library packs that eat up ram (56% of my 8G of Corsair Vengeance RAM TBE). This processor never goes above 20% usage. It stays at a constant 3.8 GHZ with Intel Turbo Boost. I haven't had the need to OC this thing. It blazes through any audio rendering. With aforementioned programs running, I can render a .wav into .mp3 in around 30 seconds!! It used to take a minute to a minute-and-a-half on my dual-core.

If you are looking at processors to build something for recording, this is the best thing to look at. I have seen other DAW's running the same programs with other leading processors, and there is no comparison.
on February 24, 2012
Intel continues to improve on its processor design and architechture. Dies continue to get smaller, use less power and generate less heat.

This processor has not disappointed me in any way. It's rock solid, and overclocks effortlessly. Although I have experimented with this, I run my CPU and memory at slightly higher than stock speeds, and allow my MB to manage CPU and memory performance dynamically. This offers more than enough computing power for my needs - webdesign, photo/video editing, and some light gaming.

Having 4 cores, 16Gb of memory, the right software and x64 bit OS to handle this architechture has really made video editing fun again. If you are looking to strike a balance between performance and value... This is it.
on February 6, 2014
I got this to replace the g620 CPU chip in the HP p6-2011 I got for free. The difference is like going from driving a Mazda Miata to a Dodge Challenger SRT8. I bought a video card and maxed out the RAM since I wanted dual screen monitors, run a server, and occasionally play games. I got a cheap 1GB DDR3 graphics card and I can run Starcraft 2 on ultra settings. It provides >=30 fps in a match at any given time which is enough for me and that's the recommended settings. I'm sure I didn't need the card but i had two DVI monitors so i had to get something.

I failed to mention I haven't overclocked it either so I'm sure doing so will only further the performance, but since this is installed in my server I don't need that kind of performance. Also, another thing of note, the overclocked version is cheaper than the non-OCed version, which is strange to me, but whatever. I'd suggest researching both if you plan to go with a generation 2 i7 processor.
on December 14, 2015
Year is 2015 and I have had this thing for years now. I have been running it at 4.8G for years. I do have the biggest and best finned and heat piped heat sink available w/2 fans...one of them throw more air volume for it's size that any other fan I could compare at the time. It runs at a little over 3k rpm and is very thick. I have never found a game I could not run on all ultra settings, even with vertical sync enabled.One 55" screen at the highest possible resolution. Of course my Gpu board just kicks butt too. Nother story there. One of the greatest processors ever made for a gamer. The newer 1,000 dollar Intel processor is faster but hell, you can build a whole killer system for the price difference. Best of luck to you.
on September 1, 2011
I have to start by saying that this Intel processor is just super fast, REALLY EASY to overclock even your grandma can do it (lol search for the video in youtube) and depending on how you see it, the price is awesome. On synthetic benchmarks it will perform *almost* as well as the infamous i7-990x which is a six core CPU and it costs $999!!! The i7-2600k comes with regular (and cheap IMO) cpu fan cooler, but it does the job, if you are not planning to overclock at the beginning just use the stock cpu fan. This processor is for enthusiast, hardcore computer builders, people who run virtual computers, and photo video editing. If you are a gamer only or planning to use the computer for regular basic stuff, please save some money and buy the i5-2500k instead. 90% of your computer needs will be pretty much the same with an 2500k which can be overclocked and it also has 4 cores (but no hyperthreading). You will save +$100 which can be put towards an SSD or a good video card.

Pros:
Super Fast
Quad Core 8 Threads with HyperThreading)
Easy to overclock, all I have to do with my asRock gen 3 mobo is to enable "auto overclock" to 4.4 ghz and thas it.
Temps with stock fan: 34c idle, 82c load using Intel Burn, NOT overclocked (coolmaster enforcer case, ambient temp: 80f-85f)
Temps with Corsair H60: 29c idle, 70c load, overclocked to 4.4 ghz
This CPU will most likely never be your "bottleneck".
Integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics will do an awesome work with your basic graphic needs.

Cons:
Might not be the most for your money. again 90% of people will be better with an i5-2500k
Cheap Fan, you need to buy an aftermarket cooler to overclock it.

Neutral:
VT-d was disabled from the K version, you dont know what is it? then you dont need it :)

Conclusion, you want to have the fastest computer, show off your friends, overclock, and money is not an issue? Get this processor. If you are in a budget, dont care about having a bigger "e-p3n1s", you game only, or basic stuff, get the i5-2500k
on April 30, 2014
It was time to replace my OLD pentium D. I ordered the core I7-2600 around January 6th 2012. the rest of the specs are:
motherboard = ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
ATX POWER SUPPLY APEVIA 680 WATTS
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H80I LIQUID CPU COOLER

I found the stock fan is insufficient if you use anywhere near 100% of your processor. You will fry it in seconds! I was able to bring the average temperature down about 80 degrees by installing the liquid cpu cooler. I've never had to overclock the beast and it has been flawless. I have two operating systems (XP/Windows 7) and both work well. I'm hoping to get several good years out of this wonderful product. I just can't think of any flaws except for the stock cooler. It was worth every penny.