Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,114 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,326 reviews
on November 27, 2011
I thought it might prove beneficial for people to read a review from someone who essentially does genotyping(this test) as part of his job.

I ordered this test because we purchased a dog from the pound and had no clue what breed she was. The test is a pretty simple one, providing you with two q-tips that allow you to gather DNA from your dogs cheek. You essentially get two chances to acquire decent DNA to send to them, so make sure they count. This is the first point where I felt the instructions could have been better. Contaminating DNA is easy, and many people who complain are most likely contaminating their DNA and then wondering why it's getting false calls.

The instructions remind you to not feed your dog 2 hours prior to doing the test, what the instructions DO NOT tell you is that you also shouldn't let your dog chew on anything like a dogbone, lick anyone, or genuinely be allowed to touch anything. Any of these acts could potentially hurt results, and while unlikely, can cause a great deal of these errors. I would personally recommend giving the dog some water, then taking the water away and quarantining the dog for 2-3 hours without anything. Put him in a crate or spare room if you have to, make sure she/he has nothing they can lick, eat, or chew. Then take the dog out, and make sure they don't start licking your hands while you are trying to give the test. It also would be a wise decision to wash your hands thoroughly before using the test, and never let the qtip touch anything but the dogs mouth and the inside of the plastic piece it is placed in.

The second thing I wanted to mention is with regards to how genotyping works. Essentially, the "testers" have positive controls which show a spread of bands they picture. They run the DNA through something called PCR in order to search for markers(bands) present in your dog, usually indicated by size. Dirty DNA can lead to bad bands, hard to read bands, and in the long run, bad calls. What many people don't realize is that the test only determines how much a dog is of a certain breed. These means that if the dog turns out to be 25% beagle, this DOES NOT mean one of the grand parents was a 100% beagle. This means that your dog has 25% beagle in him, which could theoretically be possible if you have two half beagles breed. Also note that recessive genes carry through, so even though all the dogs they determined in your lineage are big dogs, this in no way means your dog can't be small or vice versa. So just because 50% of your dog is Great Dane, yet your dog looks like a poodle, doesn't necessarily mean the test failed, as you have 50% of your potentially dominant DNA unaccounted for from any number of breeds. Likewise, a dog could have a parent with 50% beagle and end up with essentially no beagle in them. This is simple genetics. In reality, two dogs, both 50% beagle could theoretically have a dog with no significant beagle DNA, or a dog with 100% beagle DNA(although unlikely as the genes that make up a breed are a little more complex than a punnett square)..

This test DOES NOT determine lineage... merely the higher percentages of DNA present in the animal. They might call them "parents" and "grandparents", but that is just a reference for "has X% DNA" and has no baring on what the parentage is. This also means that any breed that makes up less than app. 12.5% of your animal simply doesn't show up. So a true heinz 57 dog with 20 breed of dog in it's genetic makeup would render no result.Furthermore, there is no way to determine what your dogs parents are, unless your dog turns out to be exactly 50% one breed and 50% the other.

If you strongly disagree with the results of your test, I'd highly recommend that you call the company or amazon and demand a replacement test. If they refuse to offer one, then file a credit card dispute and get your money back however you can. If you retake the test and receive the same results, it might be about time to start reconsidering how you see your dog. If the results differ, you can always question them on the differing results and get to the source of "which one is right", which might even include a 3rd test. Don't be angry if you need to repeat this test three times (presuming they are willing to provide you free kits twice). All this is doing is confirming the information and reinforcing your data, which is always a plus in science.

So that is my two cents on the subject. With respect to my dog, we adopted her under the belief it was a border collie lab mix. However, over the course of a year, it seemed to lose any border collie appearance and my wife wondered if the dog possessed any pitbull in her due to people often believing she is a pitbull. Turns out there was no breeds associated with pitbull in her, at least none over 12.5%. The test is what it is. The report is well done. I would have appreciated more information regarding how the test is done and what genes they are testing for, and in truth, I am tempted to call them and see if they can tell me and maybe even provide me the data from my animals test upon request. I suppose I can forgive them for not including that data, as it would most likely just clutter things and make them confusing to read, although I am curious as to how well their lab keeps a record and would I be able to obtain my dog's data on request.
140140 comments| 5,405 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2013
I bought this after we adopted our "Lab/St Bernard mix" puppy last month. I had my doubts about any St Bernard heritage, and really wanted to know just how big she'd get. We ordered this kit with the understanding that, due to our pup's unknown & mixed heritage, we probably wouldn't get an exact lineage report of every single breed in her makeup. The kit is VERY simple to use - be sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS carefully - and they actually completed our test within a week! A lovely detailed PDF report was emailed to me, showing her lineage of Labrador Retriever on one side, and Boxer/Springer Spaniel mix on the other. I was thrilled to uncover 3 breeds! The report doesn't stop there though. It includes breed traits, photos, training suggestions, and a weight estimate.

Their website is very interactive too. Once you receive the kit, you can track the progress of your test, upload photos, and explore the world of doggie DNA.

I had a question for customer service about our results, and within a few business days, they replied to me with a very personal, thorough response to my question. They even referenced the photos I had uploaded to their site (a fun feature you can use to include your dog's photo on their DNA Certificate).

Overall, I give this 4 stars, with the hopes that the technology will eventually be tweaked so they can really uncover more of the breeds in mixed dogs. This company certainly gets 5 STARS for their customer service though. They're quick, yet thorough, and personal. And the price here on Amazon is the best out there. Have fun!
review image review image review image
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
At the time I purchased this test, the manufacturer didn't claim to provide any sort of medical insight but the information gained from this test was life saving for our dog! In March 2012, I brought something home from a county shelter several counties away that was believed to be a Border Collie Mix; Emmett was not in fact a Border Collie mix and didn't have even a hair of the breed in his lineage. Instead, we had a Dalmatian/Boxer Mix. This information became crucial when our veterinarian recommended a tranquilizer for Emmett's pretty extreme thunder phobia (imagine a 40+ lb black and white dog, wearing a thundershirt, trembling and panting maniacally on an exhausted woman in her pajamas at 2am). The first dosing of the meds recommended went off without a hitch, HOWEVER it was the second dosing that scared the bejezzus out of my husband and I. Seriously, our poor Emmett staggered around the house like a drunken sailor in rough water for about 6 hours before I started getting rather frantic. After all, I was already nervous giving him a tranquilizer, at home on my own so I had only given him HALF the recommended dose. Long story short, there were several phone calls over a couple of days waiting for our pup to "sober up!" On the last call, I mentioned the DNA test and Boxer in our pup's lineage. Our vet hopped on that tidbit as if it were the last Christmas cookie in the house, pointing out Boxer's have notoriously wonky livers that can have particular difficulty clearing the med prescribed. She advised to give him another day and he would be back to his usual self again. Additionally, she made a HUGE note on the front of his file advising whoever else may treat him to show great care in choosing any tranquilizers for teeth cleaning or surgical procedures. Thank you Wisdom Panel, you helped save our pup's life long before you even promised to do so!
on June 1, 2016
Results aside, the product was exactly as described. It arrived quickly, I took my dog Ziggy's sample as directed and mailed it to the lab. Once it reached their facility, it took two and a half weeks to get the report. I heeded previous reviewers and the instructions in the package in collecting Ziggy's sample. He is crated while I am at work, and I took his sample when I got home before letting him eat anything so it would not be contaminated.
The report came back today and I'm so happy with it as I very much believe its accuracy. Ziggy was a rescue with unknown history, and initially was deemed a Catahoula mix, but he looks much more Greyhound. Results reflected he is 25% Plott Hound, 12.5% each of Greyhound and Foxhound, and 50% "mixed breed" which is likely to be in the herding and guard dog groups. I knew Zig would be very mixed, and am not surprised or in anyway disappointed that they couldn't identify more. Of course, I love my sweet bean no matter what, but it was a lot of fun to look into his history. Well worth the money.
review image review image review image review image
on July 12, 2013
Lucy has always garnered interesting looks and whispers regarding her breed... I've heard everything but with a big block head and a lean muscular 55lb body most people see a big mean pit bull instead of the sweet clutzy mutt she really is. We finally decided to get a breed test done to satisfy our curiosity and answer some of those uneasy questions. Turns out she has an intermediate amount of German Shepherd in her with minor amounts of Boston Terrier, Greyhound, and Labrador Retriever. The results came in about two weeks after we mailed in the samples and we received a lengthy pdf with information about each breed, a lineage chart, and a lovely little certificate. The certificate states she is a mix of German Shepherd, Boston Terrier, Greyhound and Labrador Retriever and provides a picture of her lineage going back 3 generations. She also has quite a bit of mixed unknown ancestry going back 5 generations, and the test revealed five breeds that could possibly be part of that mixed ancestry - listed from highest to lowest: Australian Shepherd, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog, Borzoi (Russian relative of the Greyhound), Italian Greyhound. I've always suspected she had greyhound in her so I was overjoyed to see a few variations of the breed appear in her ancestry! I can know more confidently respond to the question, "what is she?" and that more uncomfortable question of "is that a pit bull?" with more detailed information and a lovely certificate to boot! The test basically confirmed she is a certified mutt with a couple splashes of German Shepherd and a dash each of Terrier, Greyhound and Labrador.

I liked that I could check on the progress of my sample online and that I could access the pdf immediately over the internet. The product arrived quickly and the directions were pretty clear although I would definitely suggest reading some other reviews before taking the sample. There is one in particular posted by a geneticist that was very informative and helpful! We swabbed her cheeks early in the morning while she was still asleep to avoid getting food particles or other contaminants in the sample. The box arrived with an envelope (postage paid) so mailing the sample back is easy. We started this whole thing with pretty low expectations so overall we are quite happy we decided to try this out!
on November 19, 2014
wow... I couldn't believe the bogus results I received from this test. We tested our two dogs. One is a complete mutt. She is 14lbs.. looks like a spotted black/brown/white long haired whippet with fluffy ears (the best I can describe her appearance). The other is a 6lb chihuahua/min pin. We did this test for fun to see what type of breed our mutt was.. but also tested our little chihuahua mix for a test. The chihuahua came out to be a 30-45lb english setter/brittany spaniel mix (?). At first we thought for sure they had mixed our tests up because these results made sense for our 14lb spotted mutt pup... but then we received her results. She ended up being a boxer/shar pei (?).... ummm no. Even though we did it just for fun, it was a big waste of money. Completely bogus.
on March 15, 2016
A little gentleman walked into our cul de sac about a year ago and after looking for his owners in every way possible, he ended up staying and becoming our baby. Little Ziggy was the first dog I have ever had who I did not know what breed they were. The curiosity was killing me! So I decided to do the DNA test.

Before we did the test, the 4 members of our family made predictions. We really all felt like he was a chihuahua min pin mix. So we collected the sample and sent it off.

As others have said, the test results were quick and they did a great job of communicating when they were ready. The moment finally came...

Ziggy is a chihuahua min pin mix :)
on February 14, 2017
I loved the information I received from doing a DNA on my rescued "chow mix" dog. I would have never guessed what else he had in him.
Can you? My vet said he is some sort of Alaskan dog, so I did the test.
Yes, Chow Chow, but MOSTLY....... Siberian Husky,then Chow Chow, then Giant Schnauzer Mix! Now, at times the way he holds his neck (very erect) I see the Schnauzer and he is tall so I'm guessing that height also comes from the Schnauzer. My homes owners insurance usually will not insure EVEN a "Chow mix". But, because I did the DNA and he is more Husky, and I signed an agreement he will not run loose (I have a fenced yard) they agreed. Plus, I live out in the county so not many neighbors. He is beautiful but can be a huge butt. Got him when he was a one year old and now he is three. Just saying now I want to test every dog I see! Going to order a test for my niece's new rescue. I had my doubts about keeping this dog when I first got him home. It was a good thing I'm retired because he was a full time job at first. He is almost to smart for his own good and very strong willed. Even after two years with him .........he will not always come when I say that command. I've tried everything...trust me.
on January 20, 2016
This was the coolest thing I ever bought for our pup. My dog was a rescue and came to us as a "Lab/Shepard Mix." I wasn't buying it. His body was long and skinny, his fur was like a Shepard..ish and so was his nose! I ordered this, swabbed his cheeks and send the package off to wait. I thought it was AWESOME that it had a count down timer online once I sent it it. I could track it through the code used! It actually took LESS time than they estimated. Pup came back equal parts German Shepard/Husky and 5 other breeds: Scottish Deer Hound, Golden Retriever, Corgi, Blood Hound, and American Staffordshire Terrier. Since this review they have actually increased the number of breeds offered. Totally. Worth It. I can SO identify my dogs' behavior is clearly Husky, and at moments Pit bull. He even has different runs (strut, prance, gallop, bolting!) and we can no see which trait of his is attributed to which bread. As a former dog groomer, and current dog lover, totally blows my mind.
on January 10, 2013
We believed our 55 lb. rescue, Gunner, was a Shepherd mix. His coat and coloring seemed to give it away, but personality wasn't at all that of a German Shepherd. We knew he was a mix, but couldn't quite figure out what he was mixed with... Shar Pei? Pitbull?

We decided to do the Wisdom Insights Panel test after many months of playing the guessing game and after we realized traditional training (choke collar, prong collar, etc) were not effective and led to more aggression. We chose Insights since it has the broadest database of breeds as compared to other brands.

The test arrived within a few days and was simple to administer. Like other reviewers, we made sure to take the samples first thing in the morning to ensure that Gunner hadn't been drinking or chewing for 2-3 hours. They have a great website to track your test status. It took a total of about 2-1/2 weeks from the time I mailed it in to the time we got our results.

Our Shepherd mix turned not to be a Shepherd Mix at all! Turns out he's a Manchester Terrier Mix crossed with an Akita/Maltese Cross!

As surprised as we were with the results, the traits of each breed seemed accurate. Here's the breakdown:
* 25% Manchester terrier: black/tan coat, intelligent, watchdog, barking, testy with unknown dogs, flopped over ears, alert, stubborn, hunter and reactive to anything that "squeaks", and wariness around strangers, independent
* 25% Akita: thick fuzzy coat around the neck, pulling tendencies, affectionate, large size, muzzle shape, stubborn, intelligent, responsive to reward-based training, independent, easy-to-housetrain, aggression towards other unknown dogs, and watchdog
* 25% Maltese: This is the iffy one. After some thought and research, accurate traits are affectionate, barker at strangers, playful, retaining puppy-like attitude, silky coat, and responsive to reward-based training

His "Mix" was defined as:
* 17.5% Portuguese Water Dog: intelligent, mouthing, medium size, head shape, endless energy, barker, and slightly difficult to train
* 2.51% Shetland Sheep Dog: bright eyes, barker
* 2.41% West Highland White Terrier: playful, watchdog
* 1.94% Labrador Retriever: hunger, ability to chill
* 1.58% Irish Water Spaniel: hunter

We'd highly recommend this test for any dog owner who is curious! Some traits are hard-wired into dogs due to breeding, so now we can have a reason for his tendencies and allows us some insight into expectations. This will help us with training and handling for the future!
review image review image