Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,022 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,086 reviews
on January 18, 2013
I will start by saying that I purchased these for $99 which at $5.5 represents a great value-per-knife ratio

Here is a ranked order of things I look for in a Knife Set:
1) Sharp as hell
2) Sharp as hell
3) Sharp as hell
4) looks pretty

That is the entire list. I am not nearly proficient enough in the kitchen to have other requirements. The knives are sharp as hell. They cut the crap out of stuff. I enjoy showing off their sharpness to amazed visitors (more realistically, I just show my girlfriend over and over again). Look how easy it is to cut through lemons! You try! Case closed. They are also a pretty good looking knife set. I'm not sure I needed 18 knives, because I only know what about 8 of them do, but it is impressive looking and really makes people know that I'm the boss.

I purchased them a few months ago, so I cannot objectively weigh in on the rust-issue (I have none at this point). Therefore my only real con at this point is that this point is that the block is really big and awkwardly fits in my small New York City kitchen. Please note the massive size before you follow me to sharpcity.

Update: 4/27/14 - THERE IS NO RUST. Believe it.
1818 comments| 416 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2013
I have had and used these knives for over a year now and could NOT be happier! I have not had to sharpen once. I wash by hand and immediately dry them and have had NO issues. They are sturdy and sharp and easy to clean. The best I have ever owned. I don't have to worry about handles coming off or getting loose. The wood block is also worth mentioning because it's classic looking, not too large or bulky and super easy to keep clean. I love the grip of the knives as well. After a year, my knives and block are still looking and feeling new.
review image review image review image
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2012
As a certified chef, I have a very pricey set of knives I use for work, but I wanted a good looking well made set for my kitchen at home. These knives have a nice weight, excellent hardness (keeps sharp under heavy use), and they offer a good grip even with wet hands. The bamboo block adds a very nice decorative touch. The knives will require frequent sharpening IF you use them a lot, but for daily use in a home kitchen they will hold an edge for a long time.
The package claims "Dishwasher safe". I don't recommend putting them in a dishwasher. It will dull them and water will probably get in between the metal and the rubber of the handles. Wash them by hand with hot soapy water and they will last forever.
Be very careful, the factory edge on these knives will shave your arm, in other words THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP!
For the serious amateur home chef/cook these are a great buy. They will stand up to daily use and keep a good sharp edge, as will just about any Chicago Cutlery knives.
22 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
A few years back I was one of those annoying people that sold CutCo knives. During that time I got pretty familiar with some of the things that you should expect from kitchen knives.

Here are some thoughts:
* Sharp - these are some very sharp knives. About what you would expect for the price point, though.
* Edge retention - I'm a real snob when it comes to my knives being sharp. I had a set of wusthof knives that I'd take the steel to whenever I used them to hone the edge. So far I haven't had to do that with these knives and they've retained their sharpness through fairly light use during my two months of ownership. I haven't had to hone or sharpen them at all, yet.
ergonomics - The bigger knives are awesome and comfortable to hold. The smaller knives were made for some seriously tiny hands. It makes no sense to me that the handles are so small. My girlfriend has small hands and they fit wonderfully. However, my hands are of the larger variety and I've held sticks that are more comfortable than the steak knives. The handle is both, too thin and too short. It's awkward to hold, but not impossible.

My biggest gripe: Yep, this even trumps the steak knives burrowing into my palm with each cut. I accidentally put one of these in the dishwasher after having some people over. I've had these knives for two months and the one that hit the dishwasher came out with RUST SPOTS EVERYWHERE!! There were spots and pits developing on the blade and the handle. Keeping decent knives out of the dishwasher is a pretty standard practice, but that's more for blade retention than anything. I veeeerrry rarely leave dishes in the sink because I'm a bit OCD and don't like a dirty house (no kids, so that might help..). So, this knife wasn't left in the sink and the only time that it was dunked in water for more than a few seconds it rusted.. That is a huge quality issue! My $25 set of onieda flatware doesn't even rust in the dishwasher, and that was where I decided to be cheap(er)! I'm pretty disappointed by this.

I have not yet contacted Chicago Cutlery about this, but will be doing so and will probably add to the review once I've tested out the warranty. So far this is my first set of Chicago Cutlery and I'm not very impressed. They're sharp and hold an edge, but what good is that if they're made of cheap steel that's prone to rust? It makes me wonder how long an edge would really hold if I used them more often..
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2014
First of all, I am not a professional chef. However, I do cook most of our meals and I do plenty of cutting and chopping, etc. We also didn't have a decent set of steak knives. At this price (when broken down to price per knife), I figured there might be some trade-offs.

This was my comment BEFORE I figured out a reliable technique with these knives, Took some practice, now all us well. The comment:

": All in all, I'm basically pleased. But ....and perhaps someone else can chime in here if I'm doing something wrong but...I have yet to find the ideal knife in this set for chopping onions. I know that seems nutty. But I've tested them all. Garlic? No problem. Tomatoes, carrots, etc...no problem. But when it comes to onions, I can still do a better job with a cheap and not very great knife I already own. And by "better" I mean "above average but not stellar".

UPDATE: I've practiced with these knives and onions slice and dice just fine now so I've upgraded my rating.

Now for the pros: the steak knives are superb. These steaks really don't rust. They are easily sharpened. The set looks appealing on the counter and the wooden holder is nice and sturdy. These knives have a great heft, very well balanced.
on November 18, 2014
The blades themselves are nice and sharp, no complaints there. Haven't had the chance to use every single knife yet, though. The block, however, isn't the greatest piece of craftsmanship. I don't expect much from a block, except that it holds my knives. But like someone else had mentioned, the metal plate on mine had dimples and scratches on it. It looks like someone was testing it out, but was really bad at inserting the knife and kept poking around the outside of the slit. The steak knife inserts aren't even either, they look like a zig zag pattern when all the steak knives are inserted. Not to mention the logo emblem was turned at an angle. But overall the knives are decent enough.
on September 4, 2013
Not only the blades, but the looks as well; these fit perfectly in my modern Italian kitchen, the soft touch handles are great for slippery starchy foods (potatoes) and the knives themselves have a comfortable weight to them. I was mildly disappointed that they didn't match the steak knives and sharpener to the kitchen knives, but I knew that when I bought it and I have to admit it is nice to have 8 steak knives rather than the typical 6 (which if they did match the kitchen knives only 6 would fit in the block.) The block is really nice honestly, though I can't get the knives to be uniform like their picture (as other reviewers had mentioned) it still looks great on the counter. My husband loves the quality and function, I love the looks, so it's perfect.

Update (Aug 2017): I had bought these back in May 2013 and I'm just now starting to notice some wear and tear - mainly I have not gotten them sharpened at all, just used the honer stick a few times (that just shapes the edge, doesn't sharpen BTW.) I'm super impressed with the way these are holding up to our very abusive household. I have not had a single problem with any of the "soft grip" stuff peeling up or anything, and it's not like my kids were careful at all, they often left these knives in the sink, in water, etc. The steak knives also go through the dishwasher regularly - though I do hand wash the knives I use (not the partoku, but all the other soft handled ones.) I gotta say I see no difference in the handles on the hand washed or dishwasher subjected knives. That said, the partoku knife was a favorite of all three boys and is still my husband's favorite, the blade on it was pretty nicked up because they ran it through the dishwasher with my heavy forged steel tableware. I actually thought I was going to have to throw the partoku out because the edge on it was so ratty, but when I told the knife sharpener guys to go ahead and pitch the partoku, they said they can smooth out the nicks no problem!

This knife set has survived three teenage boys! I don't think there is a better testament to quality and durability. I'd also say that is a Chicago Cutlery tradition; I had a little laugh when I went to see my parents retirement home this past winter, they /still/ have the CC knife set they had when I was growing up - a classic wood handle, full tang, set. For the record I'm pushing 45 here. I'm thrilled to see I've joined the "never have to buy another knife set" crowd \o/
on July 23, 2015
We love these knives! At around $100 they are a steal compared to the many other sets we've tried and used at others' houses. A couple family members have J.A. Henckels and were recommending those, but after trying our new knives they want to get these instead. These knives feel like luxury at a very low cost, and we only wish we had made the purchase sooner.

+ Super sharp upon delivery, really makes you want to use each one of them
+ Very easy to hone / sharpen with proper tools
+ Still perfect after 3 months of continuous use
+ Much better knives than our previous Ginsu and Hampton Forge brands
+ Great looking knives
+ "Pantoku" (Chicago's trademark apparently) is a really handle baby Santoku

- Steak knife handles are thin and can be less than satisfying to hold compared to others

Note: Do NOT put them in the dishwasher! This is true of every good brand of knives we have owned and used. Perhaps there are some out there that can be put in the dishwasher that we do not know of, but the rule of thumb we've always known is to never do that. Flatware and good knives should not be compared in this aspect. If they rusted upon just one dishwasher run I would not be surprised, but I would never do this.

All in all, super happy with these. After a lot of research before buying I strongly feel I'd have to spend at least $300++ to get a better set.
on December 27, 2014
The knives feel like they are good quality. We'll see how they hold up to regular use, but first impressions are nothing but good.

They have good weight to them and are balanced fairly well. They are very sharp, though I expect that the edge won't last like a good set twice the price. That's not a huge deal if you can use the sharpening steel at all.

I do have a couple complaints that are very minor, but are the reason for removing two stars.

1) The block is NOT honey maple as is stated in the product title. It is pine that is stained to a honey maple color. This is actually noted further down in the description. It is noticeable when handling the block, but otherwise it looks good.

2) The metal plate on the front of the block (which will set you back nearly double the price of the plain wood block) was deformed on the corners. It's not noticeable with the knives in the block, but when they are pulled out, it drives my "OCD" nuts...

3) The large chef's knife and the large santoku both had handles that were slightly "off". Where the rubberized plastic meets the metal end, there is a noticeable "edge". They just don't transition like they should. It was only noticeable to me when pulling the knives out or putting them back in, so not a huge deal, but it would be nice for the transition from the plastic to metal to be a little bit smoother.

Overall, I probably wouldn't pay for the "metal" version again, but as I got it for nearly 50% off on a Black Friday deal, I'm happy enough not to send them back.
on February 17, 2015
They're very pretty and seems very durable. The set was supersharp when they first arrived: however, this does not hold up. We've been handwashing and handdrying all of them, three months later the set is already starting to become dull.

Update: Shortly after writing the first review, I dropped the 1 of the steakknives from my kitchen countertop and it shattered in 2 pieces (have had them for two months)! Contacted customer service about their lifetime warranty...we shall see how smoothly the claim process goes.

Update: Originally contacted customer service via e-mail about my shattered steak knife, they were a little slow to respond so I reached out to these guys via messaging on FB and received their response on the same day. They were also very fast in processing my claim after the fact and sending me my replacement SET (1 knife shattered and they're sending a replacement set with a note that I should discontinue usage of my current set) has been shipped. Very impressed with the responsiveness and quality of customer service. Based on their customer service section's responsiveness and they way they handled my claim, I'm changing my rating from 3 to 5 stars. Highly recommended, would definitely buy again!