Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 7, 2013
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bookcase.

After I purchased this bookcase, it came faster then the scheduled delivery times!

It was packaged with hard cardboard corners on every corners (long, short, horizontil, vertical). So when the FedEx guy dragged the box to my backdoor and left it in the rain, there was zero, yes, ZERO damage to the box or the contents in the box (damage during delivery was my biggest worry). I was pleasantly shocked by how well this was packaged (probably had too many complaints)!

Every piece was labled. There are 2 pieces that don't have the label sticker, but look at the unfinished edge and it will be marked with some type of ink.

Directions are step-by-step and detailed. No missing pieces (in fact, had some to spare). You will need a phillips screwdriver (a drill may be too much) to assemble this bookcase. If you put the backing on (the typical flimsy backing that comes on everything), you will need a hammer. If you are really detail oriented, then you will need a tape measure to nail the back on, putting each nail every such-and-such inches.

You need lots of room, at least the full height of the bookcase.

It can be put together by one person, but I would suggest a second person to do "hold this side" type of work. And I would suggest two people to ilft from floor to standing position.

It took my other half 4 hours to put it together by himself with me "holding". He also took his time and made sure everything was perfect because he knew how important this bookcase is to me. So block off time.

The quality of the wood is better then I ever expected. This is a solid piece of furniture (not some cheap bookcase from Kmart).

The color is gorgeous. A mixture of black and dark brown - I don't have words to describe it. I love it so much, I am re-doing my bedroom in this color and this collection from Sauder.

There are multiple holes for adjusting the shelves to which ever position you want.

I have over a hundred books on this case so far, with 1 shelf to spare and 2 shelves are filled 3/4 (for added space when adding new books in abc order). If you read small paperbacks, you can have two rows on each shelf. I have mostly the larger paperbacks so I put nick-nacks in front of the books. I wish I could add a picture to this review.

You will not be upset with this choice! I think about this case and my heart goes pitty-pat because I love it so much (I'm into books if you haven't already guessed. They are like showpieces and displayed well on this case.)

I'm going to purchase two more bookcases (after I get the other half to approve; I figure if he has to put it together, then he can have a say...but we all know I will end up with two more bookcases. HAHA)
141 helpful votes
142 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on November 17, 2017
Would give it zero stars if I could. Absolutely the WORST bookshelf I have ever purchased, in my life I have purchased and assembled no less than 12 book shelves. I have NEVER had a problem assembling them, errecting them and filling them with books. After 3 DAYS of my wife and I trying every single time we tried to stand it up it complete came apart. The instructions are simple, yet there is not one SINGLE part that secures the top half to the bottom half or each side to the other. The metal bars with plastic grippers are too small for the large hole if those are suppose to do the job. I ironically pulling the "wood" out of the box I was happy with the way it looked, but the fact it was impossible to make it securely stand on it's own with the constrictions materials was extremely disappointing. The 4th and final time we started from the beginning following the instructions and making sure every bolts and nail was in place we stood it up and thought we had won, the moment we touched it to move it disaster struck and it is now laying in pieces (that could not be secured to each other) with broken plastic parts and screws that could nto do their job ripped out of their holes on our office floor and will end up in the fire place over the winter
on June 8, 2017
It arrived before scheduled. It was decently easy to put together, you don't need two people to put it together but it made it a lot easier. It also came with extra nails and things in case you lost some, they're sturdy shelves and they look nice especially for the price. It did have a couple scratches on the top molding but I can just use a furniture crayon or marker to fill it in and it will look fine.
2 helpful votes
on August 3, 2014
So I bought this bookshelf expecting it to be a great, sturdy bookshelf that was easy to build. I have no experience what so ever building anything and I welcomed this as a challenge. There were instructions, so I followed them, using the screws required that came wight he packaging. It was going well until the screws that came WITH the package started to not work. Nothing was connecting, the wood ledges cracked and broke when you slid them onto the shelves proving this was a very crappy bookshelf. I got the two parts finished separately (over about two hours due to the breaking wood and noncooperative screws) and once I tried to put them together, (using the same one-way screws that I received with the box) the whole bottom part of the bookshelf broke. Wood cracked, screws wouldn't hold, so I was stuck with just the three top shelves. Feeling cheated out of my money, I still use the three top shelves, for I really do need a book shelf, but am disappointed I had to throw away the other piece. The bookshelf is sturdy enough to hold all of my heavy hard covers, but my growing collection of books requires me to buy a new shelf that I wouldn't need if this hadn't broke in the first place.
on July 14, 2017
This was a pain in the rear to put together, and whoever wrote the instruction manuals is a smart ass. For example at one point the instructions said something like "A place to put all the books you won't ever read". At least it was entertaining to read while I cussed out the bookshelves designers as I struggled to get it to work. I would recommend not following the order the instructions are in. It would be much easier if you put some of the front molding off until later in the process. Once put together it is awesome.
on November 29, 2014
We ordered two of these for our living room and we're impressed with the initial review surfaced by Amazon... that was a mistake.

I've dealt with $40 bargain-store bookshelves before... and honestly, these were not much different in general "quality" than those. For the price, you would think to expect more.

Cheap fiberboard, packaging by the supplier resulted in scraped, crushed, crumbling corners. Thankfully we had a wood-filler pen that was able to at least conceal the damage from far away. Since the shelving is mostly fiberboard, you also need to adhere to weight limits of around 30 lbs/shelf. Odds are the shelves will begin to bow over time.

I absolutely would not buy these again. Would either spend less money on similar quality or spend a little more to get good quality.
on October 22, 2017
I bought this bookcase specifically for my books and after 6 months the shelves started to sag under the weight of the books. Sauder sent me a couple of replacement shelves which I figured would have the same problem. Amazon eventually gave me a refund but I had to scrounge up some packaging materials and return the shelves to them. If you're looking for shelves for knick-knacks and similar things these might be fine, but if you're wanting it for books you had better read up on the weight limits of these shelves. I personally think they shouldn't be described as "bookcases". My books were in a single row (none stacked on top of the row) and the shelves just couldn't handle the weight.
on March 23, 2016
While the finished product looks respectable, if you look closely the components of the bookcase are a bit flimsy and cheap looking. It was not a "piece of cake" to assemble. Now that it's all finished, it looks nice...if you don't look too closely. This product is not nearly as solid as the Sauder entertainment/TV stand that we bought a couple of years ago.
on October 20, 2017
I couldn't believe in how small a box this came in.... I thought perhaps the wrong book case had been shipped when I received the package. However, the sideboards are cleverly manufactured to put together in one piece. Very simple to assemble, and very sturdy once the back is attached to the unit. As with all fiberboard type book cases, I recommend putting a small angle iron behind the front molding of each shelf to keep the shelves from bowing over time. The molding is perfect for attaching and hiding a 1/4" angle iron underneath if you are so inclined. Looks very nice, and the shelves are so easy to adjust on the fly.
on March 2, 2017
This was delivered right to my front door! The weight of the box was a challenge but, duh, it's a bookshelf. I set aside the time to put it together with no distractions. The directions are clear as long as you read one at a time and in sequence. What really helps is to spread all the pieces out in alphabetical order and to actually count them, to get more familiar with them, and by putting the small screws etc into a compartment tray. It was amazingly fun, like an industrial sized puzzle! It took me 2 hours and I am proud of this gorgeous bookshelf that is perfect for my room! I love it!!!
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.