Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 164 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 172 reviews
on February 23, 2013
SUPER FAST DELIVERY!
Celestron is better know for their telescopes, and indeed their top of the line scopes are pretty good. Their low end telescopes suffer from shaky mountings and cheap eyepieces.

Now, about this microscope: Decent optics for the price, and a serviceable small "starter kit" suitable for the curious with a tight budget. Keep in mind that with "toy" microscopes, the higher powers are about useless. Keep the magnification under 150x, and you will do okay.

Pros:
1. Price is good, under $30.
2. Fair to good optics.
3. 2 very adequate light sources.
4. Seems fairly durable. (Note! There are 4 little rubber feet that will need to be properly glued on with superglue. Don't lose them!)

Cons:
1. Internal reflections: As a telescope maker, Celestron should know better. All internal surfaces of an optical instrument should be flat black, with no internal reflections. (I may take this apart someday and try to fix it.)
2. Nothing is parafocal. When you zoom the eyepiece or rotate the turret to change power, it has to be re-focused. Not critical for a "toy" but compounded by "con #3" below, it's a little annoying.
3. Rotating the turret to change power also results in a slight misalignment - what was centered before is now off center. taken together with "#2 con" it becomes difficult to change magnification.
4. Although a minor complaint, there are no cover glasses provided for the 2 blank slides, and the well slide is plastic.

Given that this is intended to be a toy and it has a great price, I give this scope 4/5 stars based on the value for your dollar. Well recommended for a curious child. However, if intended for an adult or if you can spend 2x as much, go for the "My First Lab Duo-Scope Microscope" My First Lab Duo-Scope Microscope for about $55.

(Don't forget 2-aaa and 2-aa batteries for the light sources.)
on April 18, 2012
I received this Celestron Microscope kit much earlier than I expected. I am very happy with how quickly it arrived. The microscope itself is fine for my purposes. I intend to use it as a hobby, thus far, it has worked well. The optics are of great quality, the prepared slides are quite fascinating, and everything in the package is intact. Setup of the microscope was very easy and fast. Learning to use it, even if you have never laid eyes on a microscope in your life, is very simple. For such a great price, you can't go wrong with this microscope. If I have any complains at all, the plastic tweezers that are contained in the package don't work very well. Also, the frame is plastic, which does not trouble me but it may trouble some people. I wouldn't recommend this microscope for young children. It is durable, provided that you aren't careless. The package includes pretty much all of the things that you need to get started with basic microscopy. I like this microscope, it is great for my needs and satisfies my curiosity about the tiny world that we cannot see with the naked eye. For amateur science/biology, you likely won't find a microscope this good for such a price.
on September 25, 2012
Just received this instrument today. My son needed a microscope for schoolwork; he is in a virtual charter school. Although it may look "cheap" because of the polymer body, it was easy to set up and worked from the get go. The dual built-in illumination system expedited the completion of his assignment. Despite a robust feel and build, the new, all metal bodied microscope sent to my son from school had a loose spring and detent ball upon unpacking and had an understage mirror for light. Brand unknown, we could not get it to focus nor even get an image from a prepared slide. In contrast, the Celestron was easy to set up and easy to use for a 12 yr old. For the money and its intended usage (occasional to light use), it was money well spent.
on March 6, 2015
I bought this microscope to use as a hobby as well as to get the kids my relatives occasionally bring over interested in science. However, the resolution is so dismal that you could see colors and maybe a blurry outline of the specimen you're trying to see but all in all, this microscope is disappointingly terrible. As soon as I received it I turned right around and plunked down some money for an Amscope and the difference was amazing. You could see everything in super fine detail, the feel of the microscope was better and the kids were WAY more interested once they were able to see the finer details of the specimens we had. I was doubtful of buying this microscope because of the price (made me think it was cheap and flimsy) but the positive reviews made me want to give it a shot...I feel a little misled now and I want whoever buys this next to listen carefully. This is a TOY microscope. If you want to buy this, keep your expectations low. I suppose it's good to start out with if your kid is really young because one of mine broke this in literally the first two seconds she touched it (i fixed it though....that's the one good thing about this microscope. It's cheap and childproof) and that prepared me for letting them use the more expensive one cause by then they understood, hey its fragile and you need to be careful and patient. But really, if you want this for a budding scientist and they're in Junior High and up, invest in a better microscope than this.
on May 16, 2013
This product is excellent from an childhood educational perspective. Great, inexpensive way to learn how a standard compound microscope works. The product advertises magnification to 600x, and while technically true, nothing will be visible at such magnifications, the optical quality is just too poor. Human blood cells will be visible, but will be too blurry to discriminate their type or true color. For looking at small insects and small objects found in nature, this will be a great entry level tool for a child. However, if you desire to see any kind of detail at the cellular level, you're going to need to spend significantly more.
on December 27, 2014
I read so many reviews before finally making a purchase of a microscope. The Celestron 44121 had GREAT reviews and after reading through them in detail, I decided that this would be the one for us.
We gave it to our 8 year old for a Christmas present. I still can't believe how much he enjoys it. It was definitely a family favourite on Christmas morning with all 8 of us wanting to get a look at the slides.
When opening the package, I was surprised at how lightweight the microscope was. At that point, I wasn't holding out much hope. However, the microscope did not disappoint.
A few days in, I have to say, so far so good :)
on April 30, 2014
Celestron makes some of the finest optics in the business and they are both durable and economical. The Celestron COSMOS Microscope Kit made an outstanding birthday present for my 10 year old grandson. Combined with a pre-prepared slide kit, it was an excellent choice. Don't be fooled by other companies that advertise similar microscopes. These are not the same quality and will not perform as well, nor will they last as long. I highly recommend the Celestron COSMOS Microscope Kit for those looking to give a quality science product to anyone - even yourself!
on August 20, 2016
This is not a very good instrument. I guess others would have expected that you get what you pay for, but I'm disappointed that I can't really get a decent view of any slides to give my kindergartner an interest in microscopy. It's like buying a piano that cannot be tuned - worse than nothing. I actually bought a large set of slides to explore with this microscope, thinking maybe the problem was with the few sample slides that came with the microscope, but not really. It's too late to return now, so it'll probably make its way to the next yard sale for a couple of dollars with the proper caveats to spare disappointment.
on May 3, 2017
I ordered this to use with a forensic science course I taught. The kids really loved it. It is very simple to use for both kids and adults. The different zoom strengths were just right. We were able to view human & animal hair up close very well.
on December 30, 2014
Absolutely perfect starter microscope!! Bought for my advanced 6 year old niece and she LOVES it!! I purchased extra pre-made slides for it, as the kit only comes with 3 slides and 3 vials of objects. Everything is made of plastic, so it's lightweight and probably very fragile, but I never felt like it was flimsy. It has great magnifying capabilities for a small scope, the objective lenses rotate easily and there's an addition 20x zoom eyepiece. The fact that it has a light above and below the stage makes it possible to look at a variety of samples. The bottom light is a little finicky - as if the electrical connection is a little off, but once you mess with it a bit it works perfectly. It's really not a complaint of mine.

I am seriously so happy with this product!