Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 278 reviews
on December 8, 2012
This album is fantastic -- my new favorite. Their musical style suits every mood. I was a bit apprehensive about purchasing an album with a smoking goat on the cover art, but the smoking goat can sing.

The Head and The Heart are from Seattle, and the culture of Seattle is evident in their music. The lyrics resonate with this generation, the longings of our souls, our wandering feet that are held only by the force of gravity. We lack the historic commitment of our ancestors, which gives us freedom but also an instability that needs to be voiced. "I wish I was a slave with an age-old trade, like riding around on railcars and working long days" -- the yearning for stability but unwillingness to take the risk of giving up the lifestyle of freedom -- "Lord, have mercy on my rough and rowdy ways... We do it over and over and over again".

The connection with the lyrics is a connection with your head. The connection with the beauty of the music is a connection with your heart. The instrumentals and vocals complement each other impeccably -- neither one overpowers the other, and the harmonization is a thing of beauty. It is both inspiring and nostalgic, strong and wistful. This meeting-place of the gamut of man's experiences makes this album one of the most resonant of our generation.
on October 20, 2011
I am an avid music listener, and with 30 minutes going and coming from work, while driving, I love to listen to some good tunes. I enjoy everything from big band music to pop, to club, to heavy metal/hard core..really every kind there is..and lately I have been bored with the same old music. I purchased this album when it was the deal of the day thinkin, 3.99, sure, whats 4 bucks. I have been listening to this album for 2 weeks now and love it. I find myself not wanting to get out of my car when i get home until the song is over. Also, being the season, fall, I find its the perfect sound of the perfect season. I love how almost every song has different paces to it, changing into something new and great. Its almost hard to remember how they go..I always end up humming the melodies tho. This album has been making me happy for the past 2 weeks and If you like a plethera of different music, I suggest buying this. I would have payed more for it because after hearing the quality and fun lyric'd songs, you cant help but to feel good.
on April 13, 2017
My favorite album of theirs! I love having it on vinyl.
on June 11, 2013
This band is one of my favorites. I'm so sad I missed them at Firefly. The Lumineers, Of Monsters & Men, Mumford & Sons, Trampled by Turtles, and The Avett Brothers fans will probably like The Head and The Heart as well.
Very unique songs that stand out from each other. Interesting lyrics that don't all have to do with love or romance which THANK GOD because I can't tolerate that kind of immaturity.
After listening to this album, I felt curious about the world more. I can't explain that. The album just encourages daydreaming. I have to make a person mention of the song "Charlie Boy" which I listened to on repeat and helped me to focus so I could write my essay on Aristotle. Thankful for that, and what a strange band! It made me feel happy and each song is quite uplifting.
on March 5, 2017
Rivers and Roads is my favorite song! The whole CD is very good overall.
on July 17, 2016
This is an older albums of course, but it is new for me. I bought it for the song "Lost in my Mind" but fell in love with "Cats and Dogs" and many others. I'll be buying more from this band.
on August 4, 2016
Kind of reminds me of SIMON AND GARFULE, lovely soft rock, almost blue grass feel to it, great musicians, love their music and their style. ENJOYABLE. BUY IT!
on December 17, 2015
I honestly don't know anyone who would buy a cd or anything from a band they didn't know or love. This should have 5 stars because the people buying their vinyls and CDs should know who they are. I love this band and stumbled it while listening to Spotify and they stuck with me my whole life. A lot of relatable meanings in their lyrics and just an overall treat.
on January 14, 2015
Not much I can add beyond what's already been said. I first heard some of the songs on this album on Pandora a few years ago and fell in love instantly. Now, this is still one of my favorite albums. If you're looking for something lyrical, pensive, moving, with a folksy sort of sound, I think you will love this.
I'm really enjoying this CD. The opening track "Cats & Dogs" is gorgeous and addictive, although I'm not 100% sure what it's about, "My roots are grown but I don't know where they are, cats & dogs and rooster calls, telephone & pay phone stalls, they take away the lonely days now." "Ghosts" is another of my favorite tracks with the prominent piano giving a tension to the track. I also like the track "Winter" very much with its softer acoustic arrangement, "Tell me something, give me hope for the night." The Head & the Heart sounds at times like Mumford & Sons; at times it brings to mind Storyville. This is a sweet disc with its highest moments likely to be among my favorite tunes of the year. Enjoy!