Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 11, 2015
I've always had great experiences with Cuisinart products which is what led to my purchase of a TOB-40 toaster over. I was attracted to this model due to the great company reputation and warranty. This unit was replaced under warranty in Oct 2014 due to a faulty heating element. Cuisinart was great about replacing it as long as I paid shipping for the replacement unit as well as shipping back to them for my broken unit. I still figured this was better than purchasing a completely new unit. If you do some searches on the web, the faulty heating element seems to be a known issue. Some people have also reported this to the Consumer Products Safety Commission as this could be a fire hazard and were hoping for a recall. My replacement unit worked great until just the other day.

After using the oven to toast waffles for my kids, the toaster was turned off and out of the blue the glass completely shattered and exploded. Thankfully, my kids were not near the unit as they could have been injured as a result of this explosion. I've included a picture of the unit post explosion for you to see. I called customer service and spoke to a rep who basically said that since the warranty was tied to my original unit and that transferred to the replacement unit (which has now expired) there was nothing that they could do on this defective 4 month old unit. I asked to speak to a supervisor and spoke with Shelby who gave me the same answer that there was nothing that could be done. I could understand if my unit just stopped working after an extended period of time. But this is a serious issue on a relatively new unit that could have resulted in serious injury.

I'm very disappointed in the customer service and policy that is in place by Cuisinart. I would have hoped that keeping a loyal customer happy would be more important to them instead of worry about saving the money on a product that costs them less than $100 to replace. You've now lost a customer for life and I strongly urge anyone interested in purchasing their products to think twice.
128 helpful votes
129 helpful votes
on April 25, 2011
After a long search, I was unhappy with the selection of toaster ovens in my price range - my price range being as inexpensive as possible! My old Black & Decker toaster oven that I bought at my neighborhood drug store lasted for at least 10 years. I was totally happy with it. The cheaper new ones are not the same - they all have that timer dial for toasting with a space of 1cm (or less) to determine the shade of toast. I just don't like that type of control knob.
Anyway... I decided to spend a little more to get what I really want, and this Cuisinart has all of the functions that I like - the generous shade control, nicely spaced options on the function and temperature dials, an on/off switch for toasting, and a pull-out crumb tray.
It has two heating elements on both bottom and top which seem to help the oven heat up quickly and toast evenly.
Like all toaster ovens I have encountered, the top and back do get hot - the sides not as much.
I could not find the true dimensions of this toaster oven anywhere (even on Cuisinart's website & I don't know where Amazon's "product dimensions" measurements came from) so I'll post the dimensions as I measured them here:
16" W
9" H
13" D (That is WITH the "feet" on the back that prevent it from sitting flush against the wall [presumably for safety], but WITHOUT the handle, which adds 1.75" to the depth)

It is bigger than I am used to, but definitely not the biggest out there.

I am very, very happy with this toaster oven and am only withholding a star because I've only had it for a few days. That fifth star has to be earned for durability!

****UPDATE November 2012****
Well, it is NOT getting that 5th star. In fact, I changed my review to 3 stars based on . I have been happy with this toaster for 1.5 years. Then an element failed. It started basically melting and cracking, and I fully expected it to burst into flames at some point.
I contacted Cuisinart. The toaster iss still under the 3-year warranty, and they offered to send a replacement. I have to mail the current toaster to them, which would cost me about $20, and I would also have to pay Cuisinart $10 for processing/shipping the new one.
$30 seems like a lot of my money to spend replacing something defective, so I am still undecided about going forward with it, though I suppose it is worth it unless I simply want to buy a lower-end replacement. I do still like this toaster as a whole and have found it to perform well until its failure.
I've had two previous really cheap toasters that lasted 10 years each, so I'm very disappointed in the longevity of this one.
Update #2 - 2.75 years after update #1:
I wound up getting a replacement toaster oven locally in late 2012, but I just had to lay to rest that second TOB-40. Yup - again a heating element melted and warped, surely about to crack open and spark. It dropped so low I could not slide out the crumb tray. I am not giving the Cuisinart toaster ovens a third chance. I am dropping this review to two stars - I like the toaster's functionality and design, but the heating element issue is ridiculous.
1,614 helpful votes
1,615 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on February 25, 2011
For the most part...just the looks alone are nice and clean. It doesn't look like a spaceship on the counter.
Nice simple straight lines and simple on / off / bake / broil / etc controllers.

There were later design ovens from this manufacturer, but for the price, and all the Basic Features, I figured how can I go wrong?
With 1800 watts for the total heating elements...right there that tells you that it is going to heat up fast...maintain quickly to attain the setpoint, and perform like a regular electric range / oven / broiler; but just in a smaller package.

Toast making is complete on both sides. Fast! And with no drying out of the toast bread.
I was looking for the ability to toast bread, without the bread sitting there in the oven just drying out on the inside of the bread; while the outside was browning. That is the problem with toasters that are Lower Wattage. It is a proven fact in the testing sequence of a toaster designed to do just that....make toast.
The setpoint maintains just that, with not much droop in temperature. It is quick to respond to maintain the setpoint (temperature selected) to do a fast cooking chore.
The crumb catch tray just slides out easily for cleaning which is a plus. My old toaster oven had to be turned on its side to flip open the crumb tray. Wow! Those crumbs really sat in there till they cooked themselves to the tray.
With the slide out easy clean tray...I clean the crumbs every two or three times I use the oven / toaster! Smart Design!

The only downside ...and it does not affect the useability of the oven; but it is annoying trying to see the settings plainly stamped in black lettering and numbering; but very very small. Just one step UP in the font SIZE would be a big improvement. I lost my 20 year old perfect vision some 40 or so years ago, and even with corrective lenses...I have to keep a little magnifying readers glass there just to see the settings of the controls. My 18 Y/O granddaughter who has perfect 20 /20 vision even has difficulty seeing the setpoints.
All In All....I recommend it highly. The functions and power of this little machine are absolutely great. It is definetely not in the toy division like some other products of the like are in.
I had to give this 4 stars**** only because of the inability to clearly see the setpoints on the controls that are printed so small. That's My Opinion Anyway!

Oooops! one more important item, is the fact that there are multiple slots to position the shelves / rack etc for the different applications of cooking / heating / toasting etc."NICE"
1,515 helpful votes
1,516 helpful votes
4545 comments|Report abuse
on December 8, 2013
As many other reviewers have said here, the Cuisinart TOB-40 toaster oven has defective heating elements. After less than 2 years mine, too, developed a split in one of the elements that created a glowing red "hot spot". This is a serious fire hazard. I feel lucky that the split happened in one of the bottom elements; if it had happened in one of the upper elements I probably would not have seen it until it was too late.

As they did for the other customers, Cuisinart offered to send me a new TOB-40 but I have to pay for shipping to return the old one. From reading the reviews here, it is obvious that this is a common problem for this oven. Cuisinart should recall and replace them all at their own expense. However, they will probably wait until they get sued for someone's death in a house fire before they take that step.

Considering the company's poor quality control and their irresponsible stance in view of this known fire hazard, I strongly recommend AGAINST purchasing any electronics from them.

*** UPDATE 12/13/2013 ***

I reported this problem to the Consumer Products Safety Commission on their web site. They sent an investigator to my house 3 days later. He said that this is a dangerous situation and the CPSC will launch an investigation. I hope that Cuisinart recalls this item voluntarily but if they don't maybe the CPSC will prod them to do so.

By the way, I did get my replacement TOB-40 today (that was quick!). They told me to return the old one at my own expense. However, on further reflection, I didn't sign anything agreeing to return it and the product is defective. If they want it back, they can pay for the shipping. Phooey on Cuisinart!
135 helpful votes
136 helpful votes
66 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon August 27, 2011
My more expensive, super fancy Krups toaster oven recently kicked the bucket after about 4-5 yrs of service, and it was time to replace it. While my Krups was a good toaster oven (before it died), it took up a lot of space on the counter, it was expensive to buy, and frankly it had a lot of features (convection) and interior space that I just don't use and don't think are necessary in a toaster oven. So when I shopped for a replacement, I decided to go downmarket a bit.

Problem is, the toaster oven market is bifurcated towards two extremes and IMO neither is ideal. On the low end, are super cheap pieces of junk. On the higher end, are expensive behemoths that take up all your counter space and have a lot of features that most of us will never use. Now I'll admit, for someone who lives in say a small apartment and doesn't have a regular oven, the second type may make sense. But I live in a house with a regular kitchen and I have a regular oven and a cooktop, as well as a gas grill and a big green egg. What this means is, I'm not going to be roasting a whole chicken or searing steaks or baking any cakes or cooking thanksgiving dinner in my toaster oven. What I mostly use my toaster oven for is 1) toast! and 2) heating up things like leftover pizza or empanadas or really anything else that will get soggy in the microwave but you don't want to wait for the regular oven to preheat when alls you want to do is heat up a single item, and 3) odd things like maybe an open faced sammich or something. So really, anything small that you want to heat up quickly yet still have it be crispy. I have a hunch a large percent of toaster oven owners use them pretty much like I do and want a quality product but don't want a $300 large convection toaster oven taking up all our counter space, but also don't want to trust the $20 hunk of junk that looks like it will die in 2 weeks and can't toast evenly.

This toaster oven is a good choice because:

1) It's simple - toast, bagel, bake, broil. The analog controls are simple to use, and unlike a digital keypad it "remembers" what your last setting was (for say toast darkness or oven temp), which you are likely to use repeatedly. Some reviews complained the controls are hard to read, and I don't find this to be a problem although I do have good near-sight vision. The crum tray is easy to remove, clean, and replace.

2) It works - nice even toasting. Heats up quickly for reheating items. I was surprised at how light it was out of the box, but it works well so this doesn't appear to be a problem.

3) It's a fair price - way cheaper than the expensive convection ovens, but not so cheap as to be garbage

4) Small footprint - doesn't take up much counter space yet still big enough for everything I want a toaster oven to do. Honestly if something can't fit in this thing I have no problem firing up the regular oven.

Now, there seem to be 2 basic complaints on this model and I don't find either to be a problem:

1) No timer - who cares? I'm only using it for toast (which does shut off when it reaches desired darkness) and to heat up small stuff that only takes a few minutes, I can hang around and keep an eye on it. Again, this seems like more of a problem for people who want to bake a cake or something and I don't know why you'd want to use a toaster oven to do that.

2) A lot of people complain that the toast comes out too dark - I'm puzzled by these complaints as I find it extremely easy to set the toaster to desired darkness. The medium setting comes out pretty much what I'd expect medium toast to be, and more importantly you have infinite adjustability with the analog controls so it shouldn't take you much experimenting to figure out how you want it. One person even complained they had this for over a month and couldn't get toast that wasn't burned - I'd say this person either got a defective unit, or they are severely challenged when it comes to the operation of small electronics and/or employing the trial and error method.

Overall - there should be more toaster ovens in this segment. If you don't routinely roast whole prime ribs or do hard core baking in your toaster oven, this should suit your needs well.

Edit: Well, 3 1/2 years later, one of the coils was coming apart and my girlfriend threw the Cuisinart away because she claims that's a fire hazard! Replacement is a Kitchenaid unit purchased from Costco (which also doesn't have a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, although it's a bit bigger). The new Kitchenaid definitely does not toast as quickly or evenly as the trusty old Cuisinart! I wish we'd just bought another as it's replacement. 3 1/2 years isn't too bad for a toaster oven that was used fairly often and not really taken care of, rarely cleaned etc. I stand by my old 5 star review.
1,219 helpful votes
1,220 helpful votes
2020 comments|Report abuse
on March 11, 2013
I agree with the other 1 star reviews here. We have had our oven not even 2 years and the heating coil is split, which is probably extremely dangerous. Additionally, the dial no longer works to change the oven from toast to bake to broil. Supposedly, the product comes with a 3 year warranty, but when you read the info you see you have to pay to ship the oven back plus $10 for them to ship you a new oven (the latter is not allowed in CA clearly because it's an extremely dubious business practice). I intend to file a complaint with the BBB and Consumer Reports about this product. I agree that the outside walls of the oven get so hot it is unsafe. You cannot have anything on or near the product when it is in use. This is my first Amazon review ever because it is the first time I've felt a product is bad news.
102 helpful votes
103 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 5, 2014
There are a lot of things I like about this toaster - it has a big capacity, but a relatively small footprint. It gets things hot.

My first complaint is that when it is done toasting, it beeps 5 times really loudly. These really loud beeps sound just like a fire alarm going off, which is really disconcerting. If one person is trying to sleep while another is trying to make toast, the beep is loud enough throughout the house to wake everyone else.

I could live with that, but after I had the toaster for a while, the heating elements started to warp. As they warp, the protective coating on the heating elements peels back. I'm afraid this is going to make a toaster fire far more likely. The warping continues to get worse, so it won't be much longer before this toaster doesn't work. For something as expensive as this, it should last longer.
105 helpful votes
106 helpful votes
on December 13, 2012
Unfortunately this toaster oven just hasn't lived up to the Cuisinart name. While it is roomy and does a good job at baking and toasting, one of the elements is literally splitting open after just over a year of use. See the photo in the customer submitted photos above.
193 helpful votes
194 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on December 1, 2015
I have had toaster ovens for over 30 years; when I needed a new one about 6 years ago, I bought one with a timer (as most of them do), and found it impossible to consistently set the toaster, so I returned it and bought this Cuisinart. Happy, happy, happy that toasting is reliable and consistent, and while larger than the old school toaster ovens, this one is not too humongous. I am a bagel junkie - I buy them from a Jewish bakery across town, 2 dozen at a time, slice and freeze them, and put one, frozen, in the toaster oven each morning, to produce a wonderful bagel that is crunchy/chewy on the outside and soft/warm on the inside. After 5 years of daily use, for toasting, reheating, and broiling (I live alone, so I use this toaster oven for everything!), one of the heating elements started to split, so I ordered another (God forbid I should spend one day without my toaster oven!). However, the new one is still in the box in a closet, as over a year later the old one is still working well, even with the filament split along nearly its entire length. I don't know why so many people insist on having a toaster oven with a timer... I don't have a timer on my oven; so I don't need one on my toaster oven. Dependable, repeatable toaster settings are what's important to me.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on June 24, 2015
Bought this a year and a half ago. It gets minimal use since it is in a vacation home. The off switch just stopped working so it is not possible to turn the heating elements off. This is a fire hazard. A user can push the off button, thinking they turned the oven off, and the heating elements continue heating the oven indefinitely. The oven is not well insulated so can overheat when this happens and cause a house fire. Amazon won't take it back or replace it because they only guarantee it for a month.

Update - I called Amazon and asked if they would refund my purchase price so that I could buy another brand, or provide me a replacement of another brand. I said I didn't want to go through the Cuisinart replacement program, because this item is a documented fire hazard (read other reviews), and I don't want another one in my home. They said they could not do this since it was outside the one month purchase window. They acknowledged they are aware it is a fire hazard but are unwilling to provide a refund. They did say they would take this off their sell list until they could look further into the fire danger issue. Glad to see they are looking out for Amazon, and trying to protect themselves against litigation, but not looking out for their customers by providing refunds or replacements of another brand. This is disappointing and not very Amazon like. From now on I will buy electronics/appliances elsewhere.
4 helpful votes