Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

• Chess
  • Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 215 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 302 reviews
on February 11, 2011
I just bought the program today, and played a few games. I'm a fairly good player, but I usually just play non-serious games. It seems to take about 1 second/move on level 7, and about 3 seconds/move on level 10 on my Kindle 2 USA model. It didn't make any howlingly bad moves, so if you're a beginner you should use the lower levels. There is also a mode to play another person instead of the program, and it has a 'how to play chess' and instructions.

Here are some things to consider:

Good things:
1) If you leave a game in the middle and put your Kindle to sleep, it remembers and gives you the option to resume the game the next time you open it, which is a nice feature.
2) It doesn't seem to suck up very much battery on my K2, which I was worried about.
3) It has a good display at the bottom which shows the pieces taken by each side and the moves in standard notation.
4) You can 'take back' moves which is good if you're a beginner. (OK, I cheat sometimes too when I'm fooling around trying different tactics.)

Poor things:
1) It doesn't seem to have book openings, as other reviewers have said, which is slightly annoying.
2) It likes to exchange pieces, even when losing (which is not a good tactic, and typical of some chess programs).
3) When you advance your pawn to the 8th rank, it automatically gives you a Queen instead of giving you an option as per the rules of chess (there are certain times when you don't want a Queen, such as when it results in an instant Stalemate).

Still, in spite of some of these, I liked it. It has a nice, clean interface, runs quickly, and doesn't seem to make any big obvious blunders.

So, if you like to play chess, I think it's priced just right and worth getting for playing a game when you're bored and don't feel like reading.
22 comments| 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2011
This is about the most basic chess app imaginable, and has the feel of something rushed to market without enough attention to 'fit and finish', or even thought as to what a chess player might expect to see.

For example,
- when promoting a pawn, no choice is offered as to what piece to promote to: it assumes you want a Queen. According to the rules of chess, you should be able to pick Q, B, N, or R.
- it does not detect when there's insufficient material on the board to checkmate. For example, when only the Kings are left on the board, it should offer/declare a draw rather than wait for repetition of moves or applying the 50-move rule.
- the move list shows only the last 4 move pairs, and does not use a standard chess notation.
- does not seem to vary its move selection from one game to the next, at least at the levels I played.
- in the initial position, cursor is positioned on a piece that cannot even be moved (the King). At least it should default to KP or QP.
- navigation with 5way is awkward as there's no way to move diagonally. Some keyboard shortcuts could help with this (e.g. set up a navigation 'diamond' centered on 's' such that 'q' moves up-left, 'w' up, 'e' up-left, 'z' down-left, 's' selects, etc.).

That said, it is the best chess app for Kindle - but only because it is the only one right now. A little extra effort could have made it better, and I hope we see a better attempt in the future..
33 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon June 17, 2013
I've played a couple of hundred games on my old black and white keyboard Kindle. My highest USCF rating was 2080 when I was in my twenties. (Now my rating is something like 1912.) I mention this to give you an idea of the strength of the program.

There are ten levels of playing strength. I always play at level ten and I don't use a time control. When I first bought the program I tried the lower levels and they were too weak. My score against Level Ten is about 50%. The program is clearly stronger than I am tactically but it has one main weakness: it apparently truncates lines so that it doesn't notice some mating attacks that are going to be successful or pawns that are going to queen or that a forced line is going to allow me to regain material seemingly lost. (BTW, the program does allow for under promotion, contrary to a comment I read somewhere.)

Its opening book is a bit short but it still plays openings at about a Class A level. It does not resign and I haven't yet got it to agree to a draw even when it's obvious that a draw is all but inevitable. It does of course recognize stalemates and three-fold repetition draws. It does not resign. You have to mate it.

The layout is neat and easy to see. The method of making a move is a bit awkward on the old five-way controller but not really a problem. I found no bugs but to keep the same level and your preferences as playing white or black, etc. you have to start a new game while in a game. This is only a minor problem since you can click "Resume a game" from the first screen and then go to the main menu. If you click "Play against Kindle" (in other words start a new game) from the first screen you will have to fill in your name (default is Human 1 through 10), whether you want to play white or black, difficulty level and the time limit (default is no limit). If you go to the main menu directly from one of the saved games (your last ten games are automatically saved) your name and preferences will be the same and you won't have to fill them in again.

I think the program is a fine bargain and I'm glad I bought it.

--Dennis Littrell, author of "The World Is Not as We Think It Is"
on February 19, 2011
This is a very cleanly designed and attractive Chess game for the Kindle. It plays to a reasonable standard, certainly as good as the electronic chess games I have, although not as well as dedicated commercial computer versions, (as expected). For the price it represents great value, and a good challenge for those who like Chess at a casual level. I'd wanted a Chess game for my Kindle ever since active content games started to become available, and this does not disappoint. It's not perfect as others have mentioned - there are some improvements that could be made, but for the price this game fits the bill very well.
on August 3, 2013
Oak's Kindle Chess software is a solid product, making for a nice break from reading on the Kindle. That said, there's an unstated assumption that you already have some chess experience, although features such as "How to Play Chess" and "Suggest a Move" may lead unwary beginners to believe otherwise. "How to Play Chess" is just that and no more; covering how the pieces move, how to castle and so on. While it contains some tips on chess etiquette, that's as far as it goes, with nothing in the way of tutorials for new players. Similarly, "Suggest a Move" seems to a hit or miss proposition, sometimes offering a useful suggestion, at other times making for as enigmatic an advisor as the old Magic 8-Ball (Ask again later).

But should you already have a fundamental grasp of strategy, Oak's Chess makes an entertaining sparring partner. In my experience the program plays a nice tactical game, rapidly punishing your mistakes but with some exploitable weaknesses on the first few levels. The software seems to value a material advantage, or avoids a perceived loss of material equality at the expense of protecting its King, leading to some easy and rapid checkmates by the human player. The other chink in its armor is the propensity towards exchanging material, even when this leads to an inferior endgame. As a rusty and not-so-talented former tournament player, I'm still working my way up through the levels but have no doubts that somewhere before Level 10, I will meet my match. Experts will want to look elsewhere for a challenge, but for the average player, Kindle Chess makes a worthy opponent.

Some of the things pointed out in earlier reviews such as the lack of en passant capture, no promotion options for Pawns besides the Queen and lack of opening book seem to have been corrected in the version I downloaded. While I can't say for sure how deep the opening books go, the program at least plays the initial moves correctly and will vary its responses as both Black and White. One other thing I can't understand are the reviews slamming Oak's Chess for slow play. I certainly have not found that to be the case. Yes the presentation is minimalist, but to be fair, how picky can you get about playing a $3.00 game on a small black & white screen ? The graphics are quite acceptably up to par in my view. About the worst that can be said for it is that moving the pieces with the directional pad can be fussy, no doubt frustratingly so should you find yourself in time trouble; but that is a limitation of the Kindle itself.

In sum, this is a well priced and worthwhile application for at least moderately experienced chess players.
on July 3, 2011
I'm compelled to take the time this morning to let potential purchasers know just how impressed I am with Oak Systems (the publisher/developer of this application).

I started using the Chess application on my 3rd generation kindle when at the completion of my game I was unable to get the kindle to sleep. In fact I had to do a hard restart, expecting it would be fine after that I tried again, and again after my game I was unable to sleep the kindle again.

I was a bit frustrated but figured something was wrong, not sure what to do I sent the developer an email via their website...at 10pm...on a Saturday.

You can imagine my surprise when my inbox contained a personal response Sunday morning!

The team at Oak Systems helped me out (ended up being a bad install, simple re-install and I was fine), but that's not what I'm writing about. Simply put I've paid hundreds (and thousands in some cases) for personal and professional software with 1/1000th of the support this firm provided for a $2.99 game.

Some of those publishers could take a lesson or two from this firm. Treat customers with respect and show concern, it's a lost art, but not lost on these guys.

Thanks!
on December 6, 2012
This is a great program, strongly recommend it if you want to play some fun games of chess. Many of the reviews must be for an older version, as I have just purchased this about a month ago and have played about 50 games varying from blitz chess to action chess (30 minutes per side) and all the negatives are not apparent in this new version. I'm a fairly good player, about 1850 USCF. The systems moves very quickly, a little longer the higher up you go in levels. Levels 1-6 are pretty easy (but I would say a beginner that has no idea on strategy or basic chess openings would even have a problem defeating level 1...Level 1 rating is probably about USCF 1000. I had difficulty beating levels 7, 8, and 9 and those 3 levels give me a good game. I have not yet beat level 10. The book openings on this version are quite extensive...i play some unusual varaitions of the Caro-Kann Defense, gxN variation, and it has at least a dozen different lines and that is pretty rare. Sure it is no Fritz but this price is cheap and is a great value. I would say level 10 would probably give a candidate master a good game. I would highly recommend this.

Pros:
1. If you leave a game in the middle and put your Kindle to sleep, it remembers and gives you the option to resume the game the next time you open it, which is a nice feature. someo eles said this but i will agree.
2. Has all the features you would want..good book openings, good tactical middle game, ok end game. Take back moves, save moves, replay games, all the basics.
3. Easy to learn, clean interface, fun to play.

Cons:
1. for someone that is just learning the game of chess, might be too hard for that beginner even on level 1. But if you know how to play the game and have some basic open and middle game stratgy under your belt, you will like this game from USCF 1000 (beginner) to USCF 2001 (Candidate master).
on February 19, 2013
This review is for version 1.3 of this chess program.

I bought this game with some trepidation after reading the reviews. However, many of the problems cited in the reviews have been fixed:

The program does use an opening book. Against 1. e4, I've seen it play e5 (traditional), e6 (french), d6 (pirc), d5 (center counter), c5 (sicilian), and c6 (caro-kann). I got plenty of different games. When playing white, I've seen it open with e4, d4, and c4.

Pawns may promote to any piece, not just queens. I made it under-promote to a knight. Worked fine.

The human player can offer a draw. The program also called a draw on its own initiative after a 3-fold repetition (it was a legal draw, of course.)

Weak spots: sometimes the program can't keep up with my input (moving the 5-way button). Also, I get tired of skipping the "entire your name" dialog -- the name of a Kindle user does not change much! Just inherit it from the previous game and offer a way to change it for people who want to.

Overall, I'm happy with it. The opening book has enough variety for me. The highest level feels like about 1800 USCF which is good for me.
on January 16, 2014
I was looking for a simple chess program that would allow me to try a game or two against a computer without having to log on to a system and this meets the need. While basic in appearance (I have a Kindle Paperwhite), it plays at different levels according to my ability and is great when you are looking for something to do while waiting for the train, etc. When you look at the price, it's a no-brainer. Recommended.
on January 7, 2013
This is good chess game.

I always wanted to play chess with computer, but it is mess to turn on the computer, then click the game and then play. I have wooden chess unit, but arrangement and packing/unpacking is time consuming. Now, I have the game on Kindle and which I play anytime with easy.

I did not know that Kindle can play such a complex game. Kindle sure has a powerful processor.
The game sometimes suggests moves to make. But not always. I dont know why it fails to suggest moves.

The good part is it allows to take back moves and start from wherever you want.
The move list is very useful part. I have to check if it allows to download the move list. It will be useful for learning.

1. One star for name
2. one star for price
3. One star for GUI and ease of use
4. One star for providing 10 levels of artificial intelligence
5. One star for features like: take back move, move list, save game, timers, pass-and-play with humans, etc.

I want additional feature:
1. Two humans will play first and then for some reason one human is not available. Instead of game being saved, I would like the Kindle mode for other human. I will be happy if the game ends.
2. Suggest which move was potentially not a good move or a turning point.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.