Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on December 19, 2015
My son got this book a few days ago and is almost done with it. He says it is a great book. He is in 6th grade, I was told this was an 8th grade level but he says it is way to easy of a read but still a very good book!
on April 1, 2007
From what I can tell, M.C. Higgins the Great has three main plots. The central one being the possibility of M.C.'s mother being discovered and marketed as the newest superstar singer. There are two other subplots as well, a strong one and a weak one.

The strong subplot makes the reader aware of an avalanche of spoil possibly falling on M.C.'s house due to poor mining practices in the area. It could actually be tied in with the central plot about the singing, but I have an easier time just separating these events into different categories. The weak subplot is your classic coming of age story, where M.C. has his first (I guess it's his first) major crush on a girl. This subplot is not really needed except to make M.C. more angry during the last chapter of the book.

Now why it takes 275 LONG pages to cover the three plots, I don't really know. There are definitely some interesting parts of the book, but these good parts are seperated by so much of what I see as trivial padding. I didn't really see a need for the scene where M.C. and his mom go swimming at all, and there are so many other smaller scenes in the book that really aren't worth mentioning.

I think the book is okay; I just wish it were much shorter.
on February 6, 2017
Interesting story. A gift to my grandson. I read it first.
on December 26, 2011
Was very pleased with speed of shipment and quality of the book I ordered! Would order from this vendor again. Thanks :)
on September 26, 2012
I hate it i suck s and makes absolutly no sence at all what so ever i never want to read ut again