Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 95 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 150 reviews
on March 17, 2011
Gone, by Mo Hayder, is the fifth book in a series featuring Bristol DI Jack Cafferty, and the first of hers I read. Despite four books of back story, I felt no lack or loss for jumping in at the wrong end, as Hayder gave just enough relevant information to offer a bit of depth and context without flogging a reader with past events.

This book is a harrowing journey down a swift river, and there were several times I got off the ride only to jump back on as soon as I could. Hayder's villain is given a slow reveal, crafted of skillful slight-of-hand and an accumulation of small tells. The danger is real and ever-present, and she never, ever gives you a guarantee of who is going to make it home at the end of the day.

Gone hooked me so thoroughly that I immediately started on Hayder's first book in the series, Birdman. Comparing the two shows just how far Hayder has come as a writer, and effortless her prose seems to be. I plunged through Gone because I felt I must. Not knowing was unthinkable.

If you like police procedurals and thrillers, British or otherwise, read Gone. But make sure you have an open weekend to do so, because you won't want to put it down.
Someone is taking young girls. He runs up as their mothers are about to drive off in a Santa mask and takes the girl along with the car. So far, four girls have been taken with no real progress being made on the case. He released two for reasons of his own, but the others are missing, their parents in agony.

Detective Jack Caffery heads up the case. This one is personal to him, as his own brother disappeared thirty years ago and was never found. It drove Caffery into police work and makes him the haunted, driven man that he is. That makes him a successful detective while it takes its toll on his body and spirit.

One of those searching for the girls is Flea Marley, a police diver who heads up the search and rescue team. She has a feeling about an abandoned canal, part of which is a tunnel, that is near where one of the parents' cars is found. The police mount an intensive search but nothing is found and Flea is chastised for wasting resources on a hunch. Her next hunch takes her on a solo search as she doesn't want to be wrong again and soon she is also in trouble.

The case progresses slowly and it seems the kidnapper is always one step ahead of the police. Jack even consults a strange figure, The Walking Man, who has walked the countryside for years and seems to always know something or have a way of framing problems that stirs Jack's instincts. The Walking Man also lost a daughter many years ago and searches constantly for clues about her fate.

This is the fifth in the Jack Caffery mystery series. Readers will be entranced by Hayder's involved plotting and the views into the detectives' motives and problems. The plot twists are exciting and come as a surprise to the reader. This is one of the best detective series to be found. This book is recommended for mystery readers.
on February 24, 2013
I read the first two in the series, Birdman and The Treatment. I thought The Treatment ventured into territory that can only be described as cruelty (involving children, which made it worse), but I decided to give this one a shot because of the reviews. I stopped about 50 pages toward the end. I probably would've stuck with it had it not been for the Flea elements, which I thought were simply unreadable. Like another reviewer mentioned, I couldn't even tell what was going on, based on the author's descriptions and narrative. The book just came to a screeching halt whenever the narrative switched to that storyline. There are too many far superior crime novelists today for me to spend any more time or money on Ms. Hayder.
on May 30, 2015
Jack Caffery and Flea MArley. In this novel, a car is hijacked with a child in the car. Flea brings it to the attention of Detective Marley that there were earlier car jackings with children - little girls - in the car but that the little girls were quickly released
The Walking Man makes his appearance - helping Jack Caffery in his search
A really intense and interesting story - finished it in one day
on June 28, 2014
This was a real page turner and the first book I have read by this Author. I really enjoyed it although it got confusing at times with the dreams and such. trying to find the next book following this one to see what Fleas Dad said was coming to her if she waited long enough. So the ending was a little disappointing because it was up in the air as to what was coming. Hope there is a second book.
buttonlee@icloud.com
on January 16, 2013
When Rose's car is hijacked with her eleven year old daughter Martha in the back seat, the police assure her that car jackers don't want children. That as soon as he realizes that she is in the back seat, he will let her go.

As minutes stretch to hours, Detective Cafferty has to admit that it might be something more.

A very good mystery. I couldn't put it down, finding excuses to read every chance I could, and staying up way to late. I had no idea to almost the very end who the car jacker was.
on April 6, 2015
I have enjoyed the Jack Caffery series. I just started the 6th book (Poppet). Mo Hayder does a great job keeping you in suspense and wondering who did it... These are true crime stories. I had difficulty putting Gone down. I just wish Jack and Flea would hook up but then again, the chemistry is pretty satisfying.
on April 17, 2014
I loved this book! Every bit of it! I've been struggling to find an author that could write as well as the best, and I believe Mo Hayder has got me hooked. The characters were well-developed, the plot was excellent and the writing was excellent. I simply had to read this book straight through, as the tension didn't let up until the book was finished. A five-star book, for sure!
on November 17, 2014
A fast paced read.As you read the story you can feel the tension of the people attempting to locate the missing child. The author writes in such a manner to give the reader clear visuals of the characters and environment. Sergeant Flea Marley and Detective Jack Caffery make a good team in Hayder's chilling novels.
on June 15, 2016
Love Mo Hayder and this was a terrific, couldn't put it down read. You'll start running on page one and won't stop till the end.