Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG Infinia 50PZ950 50-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Active 3D THX Certified Plasma HDTV with TruBlack Filter and Smart TV
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on April 7, 2011
we've had this TV for 4 days now, and we couldn't be happier! i've been writing a running commentary of our initial impressions which i'll now consolidate to make for easier reading. we really benefited from all the reviews and advice that other people took the time to write, so we wanted to "pay it forward"

first, some background:

CONTEXT & SKILL-SET: we're a 1 TV household, averaging around 20 hours a week. we use the set for TV and DVD's only; no gaming. we were replacing a wonderfully dependable but huge, 10 year-old samsung tube toad. we did a lot of research before buying the lg 50PZ950, but we're not particularly knowledgeable about A/V stuff in general. why tell you all this? because it's important to know any reviewer's knowledge base (low-middling in our case) and context (moving from a CRT to a flatscreen). our perspective may not be relevant to all readers.

WHY PLASMA: lack of motion blur for sports makes my husband happy, and the rich, immersive movie experience at night makes me happy. our only experience with LCD is our imac, and while watching movies on the mac is great (vivid and sharp) it doesn't provide the rich, deep, "pull you in" sense that plasma does. IMO, anyway.

WHY 3D: frankly, we didn't really care about 3D, but thought it might be fun once in a while, so why not?

WHY THE INFINIA: like a lot of people in our price range (~$1,600) we started out choosing between the panasonic & the samsung. based on consumerreports.org reviews for last year's models, we included the lg infinia as well. all three were highly rated; all within 1 point of each other. plus the advance word from the 2011 CES was very encouraging. we were pretty confident we wouldn't be making a mistake with any one of the 3 brands. in the end, it came down to 2 factors: looks & the user interface. the infinia looks beautiful: on or off. and the user interface is simple and straightforward.

WHY WE BOUGHT FROM AMAZON: we've always been very impressed with amazon, especially their customer service. and never more so than in this case. the first PZ950 we received was broken. fortunately, amazon uses special delivery service: they unpacked the TV for us so we were able to plug it in. the spiderweb break wasn't apparent until the set was on. they immediately took the set back and amazon arranged to get another one here pronto, in time for my husband's b'day. thank you amazon! and thank you home direct.

ok, now our impressions based on 4 days of loving this tv...

PICTURE: the picture quality is wonderful. even better than i'd hoped. deep blacks and lush, rich true-to-life colors. lots of depth. sometimes almost looks 3D when not in 3D. fabulous detail on HD... and obviously less so on SD (standard definition.)

DAYTIME VIEWING: we have the set in a very bright room (lots of south-facing windows). daytime glare was our initial worry, before buying the set. turns out, no problem. yes, the screen is reflective when off, but the reflections drop out when on. NOTE ADDED 3.17: viewed tv today for first time at max sunlight (noon-ish): saw reflections of myself and everything else in the room. not so bad that i couldn't comfortably watch the set, but wanted to let you know in case that's a deal-breaker for you. fyi, we have a large bank of 6' unshaded south-facing windows in this room which flood the entire room with direct sunlight mid-day. still adore this tv, and the reflections are not a problem for us, but wanted to let you know.

NIGHTTIME VIEWING: heavenly! totally immersive experience when watching movies at night.

AUDIO: the sound quality is excellent, and the clear voice II feature is particularly useful for those of us a little longer in the tooth thus harder of hearing. and the auto volume setting keeps commercials from jolting you out of your chair.

3D: well, i bought the wrong glasses so we haven't seen 3D yet. but based on consumerreport.org's ratings of last year's version (the 50PX950) and other reviews on this year's models, i know it's going to be great. fyi, you need the lg AGS250's -- not the AGS110's.

REMOTES: it comes with 2 remotes: one traditional (back-lit) and one magic wand thingee. i didn't think we'd use the wand, but we do; it's great. in addition to being an on-screen pointer, it's also distilled down to just the essential buttons: on/off, home, volume rocker, channel rocker, and select. easy, intuitive, and fun.

MEDIALINK: this is great! let's you wirelessly access all the photos on your computer, all the music & more on itunes. pictures look great -- better than when you view them on the picassa app. plus there's smart share (which we haven't used yet) which lets you import via USB thumb drive.

NOTE FOR MAC USERS: the TV comes with nero mediahome 4 esentials, but that only works with a PC. go to the plex website, click on the special lg section, download the mac software, et voila: medialink works perfectly.

APPS: we haven't used a lot of the 3rd party apps, except for google maps (which is terrific on the big screen) and picassa (which is fun for looking at pix from friends). the TV also comes with netflix, cinema now, vudu, napster, viewster, amazon, NBA, MLB, youtube, facebook, twitter, AP, V tuner, Iplay, fun spot, and accu weather. plus there's some lg apps which are a little dorky (no offense, lg); selection will doubtless improve over time.

CALIBRATION: we have not calibrated the TV. partly because we don't know how, but mainly because we've been so happy with it just the way it is. the blacks are deep, and the colors are lush but not loud. there's a nice feature which lets you create & save your own preferred mix of settings.

BREAK-IN PERIOD: we're being really careful for the first hundred hours. some debate on whether it's necessary, but why chance it? besides, it's no hardship to limit fixed image viewing or to take it easy on brightness and contrast to start. probably even better to run a break-in disk. fyi, easy to keep track of how many total hours you've viewed to date by going to: set up, support, product info... gives you a running total of hours on.

WEB BROWSER: a little pokey, but surprisingly useful every now and again.

LG SERVICE: we ran into a problem early on using the (included) dongle for wireless. put a call into lg (1-800-243-0000) turns out the problem was me: i didn't give the TV time to update the firmware. when the set says "don't turn me off", don't... or the update won't finish. when the update finishes, the TV turns itself off and then back on. thank you, leyza, at lg, for walking me through it.

WHAT ELSE... suggest you download the manual from the lg website before the TV arrives so you'll know how to handle (lift, carry, etc.), where to place, etc.

that's about it. if you buy this TV, i hope you love it as much as we do!
5858 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2011
After pouring through different reviews, forums and any other info I could find on the latest and greatest for 2011, I narrowed my search down to the Panasonic GT30/VT30's or the LGPZ950. I saw a lot of good things about the VT30 from Panasonic but it seemed like the new LGs had a lot of the same features and some extras. The price was right and it was available while the panasonics still had a ways to go before launch so I took the plunge and ordered the LG. Sooooo glad I did. This TV is awesome. Set up was a breeze. The set looks beautiful. Sleek and seamless. The picture is as good or better than anything I've ever seen. Both 2D and 3D look amazing and i didnt get dizzy at all watching 3D like i do in the theaters or on other TVs I've seen at the big box stores.

The apps and media share are great features. The UI in the home screen is very easy to navigate. Setting up wireless connection was also very easy. Everything just kind of worked right out of the box. Integrated Netflix and YouTube is a nice touch, not to mention all the other apps for your social networking. I don't know how much I'll use that stuff since it's way easier just to check those things on a computer really quick, but the option of being able to do it on your TV is nice. The web browser is ok, definitely not going replace your laptop or PC but good enough if you don't want to get up and go to your other tech to look something up or post an update.

I am very pleased with this purchase. I may just be in the honeymoon phase but it is definitely a lot more than I expected. Cheers to LG for a great TV at a very reasonable price.
77 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2011
First I would like to warn everyone on a delivery scam that Pilot trucking is pulling on Amazon and its cutomers.My TV was shipped to their Atlanta hub and arrived on April 4th...delivery estimate April 8th.I called Pilot on the 8th about 4pm to see whats up.They said they did not have the TV anymore it was picked up by another company J.P.Hall for final delivery.OK called Hall about the TV....a little snicker and a no way today,was told they would have a truck in my area next tuesday the 12th and next thursday the 14th..of course I picked Tuesday.On monday I received a call from Hall saying a truck was in Athens Ga with my TV but the helper was sick and if I could help get it off they would deliver it that day.I had to tell them because of my bad health there was no way I could do this.They said they would bring it tommorow.Ok Tuesday comes around no TV.I call Hall they say the Driver is waiting to pick up someone to help him.The Driver calls me about 5pm and tells me the guy didnt show up and asked again if I could help him.I said no again and He promised me first off tommorow Wed.OK wed. gets here no TV about 4pm I call Hall nope no help today no delivery...Thursday....I told them I have been forced to be home for 4 days now and need it by noon thursday because I had plans that afternoon.They said they would make it Happen..Thursday 10am the truck shows up....No helper just a driver.They put it off on Him because he was a large strong guy..but a 160lb TV one man?To get the TV I helped Him get it off and unpacked and set up...Thru the grace of God after riding around in 3 differnt Hall trucks for over a week it was still intact...I felt sorry for the driver being put in this situation.After talking to the Driver found out They dont have two people on any truck to do white glove delivery that Amazon promises.they try to hook up with another driver to get this done.Thats why they kept asking for my help.Shame on Pilot for letting this happen.6 months earlier they delivered a 2 lb fishing rod in a big truck with 2 guys.lol The delivery bill I signed was a Pilot bill of shipping so Amazon would think they deliverd it
I called Amazon about it and they were shocked and concerned their customers were getting this kind of service.
they apologized and gave me a nice amount of cash for my inconvenance.and they were glad I called them and would resolve the problem.I love Amazon service.
Now for the LG60PZ950.I did great research ob LCD...Backlit LCD-LED and Plasma TV's...After 4 years of suffering with a samsung DLP that just died DLP was out.Finaly went with Plasma...three real brands to pick from..Samsung..Panasonic and LG.Samsung is out because of poor service and bad design of the DLP and stories of high pitch sounds...Panasonic was my frontrunner till I heard of color problems on newer tv's and Panasonic not addressing the problem...read great reviews on the LG...but what sold me was seeing the LG and Panasonic and Samsung all at once...The LG won on all accounts to me.
Iam so glad I bought this TV...The best picture I have ever seen as good or better than my friends Pioneer.
Out of the box the color was right on..I broke it in ,if it is really needed?,by running 24-7 for 5 days on the THX setting overnight on HBO HD movie channel...no problems at all.Picture quality is great...3D was bought for my 11 year old and is exceptional...PS3 has a firmware upgrade so you can watch 3D blueray disc and play 3D games very cool.Netflix offers 3D disc sent to your home,not alot yet but sure more will come..
hooked the TV up hardwired to my DSL...upgrade TV software(took about an Hour)gave mr more apps...now have about 12 apps and lots of games...The browser works fine but will probably use my computer much faster on my pc..Used the optical out to hook up to my receiver optical input for 5.1 sound when we watch movies...set up was easy tons of ways to hook up multiple things...the built in speakers are fine for everday use...but a surround sound system makes it killer..Ther is not anything about this TV I dislike...I bought the 4 year Square deal warranty and thanks to the cash Amazon gave me it was almost free.Iam watching it now as I write this and So glad I picked the LG60PZ950 and would recomend it to anyone...

UPDATE 04/22/2011...Ok tried to get my Netflix to load on my LG.Received an activation number from the TV went to netflix and actavated the number...successfully....but when I click on Netflix on the LG it comes up with a software error...repeated the process like 10 times...same deal...called Netflix they said it was the TV not them.If You wanted to know about LG's service here is what happened...Called LG within 3 mins I was talking to a servis ReP...This was like 10pm Wed.She said she would have a certified LG tech at my house Friday between 12-5pm..he called at 12:30 and was here at1pm..check tv couldnt get netflix to work...We both figured the software update to the LG I did might have an error in it...wish I had tried Netflix before I did the update...He said He had to order a new board that controls it and if it doesnt work or will take too long to get it that they would replace my TV with a new one..The rest of the TV is still perfect just no Netfix hook up...LG service gets 5stars from me...very fast and efficent nothing like the Samsung wars I have been thru...PS has anyone else had this problem with their TV and hooking up with netflix? any new owners might try activation before you update the TV's software...Big John

Update 05/09/2011....Found out what was wrong with Netflix...Nothing to do with the TV..Stupid ATT dropped my DSL speed to to about 26k so Netflix wouldnt load..once I got it back to 1.5 everything worked great...after a month I realy like having the Apps on my TV...especialy MLB baseball..a few clicks and Iam watching the game I want..found out too that animated films in 3D are much better than regular films...my son loves PS3 games that are 3D...The only bad is the majick wand remote kills a new set of batteries in like 3-4 days just sitting.(might have a bad unit)The bigger one that also comes with it works great no problems with battery...Great Service...Great Tv..I think its one of the best TV's out there.Iam so glad I bought this LG...Big John

update 09/07/2012
hey my LG has come up with problems with the color and tint after a year and a half....it switches from greenish faces to good faces and redishish faces and color on the backgrounds...its way to soon for a TV of this price to have these problems.It seems like nowadays they make them to last a year(their warranty)and thats it..I was burned on a Samsung DLP that died way too soon so this time I bought a 4 year square trade warranty will see how it works out...I have lowered my rating on this TV because of this.....Big John
update 12/01/12
well we will find out if square trade is any good...last night the LG just went pop and totaly died,,,,the screen got fuzzy white on the bottom moved to the top than a pop no brightness than no picture...stone dead...I use to beleive You get what you pay for...but it aint that way no more...$2200 for a top of the line TV that dies in 1 1/2 years....maybe bigger aint better,,,,I have a 36 inch Toshiba CRT tv thats 25 years old still kicking butt in my sons room...that 2 60 inchers I have bought the longest lasting one was 2 years...oh well I put in a claim with square trade we will see what happens...PS...I hate extended warranty's but with these big TV's you better get one for 4 years if you can!!!!!Big John
1010 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
I'm a professional in the film industry who has been shooting and editing HD video for many years. I did a lot of research before jumping into the 3D tv market. I've owned HDTV's since they first came out commercially right around 2000. The last tv I had was a Vizio plasma, so I thought I was upgrading when I bought the LG 50PZ950 a couple months ago. I bought 4 active shutter glasses, a Panasonic BDT-DMP310 3D Bluray player, and own these 3D Blurays - Avatar, Coraline, Thor, and Tron: Legacy with the Toy Story Trilogy and Captain America coming soon.

First of all, the bevel-less tv is beautiful, but not particularly practical to pick up and move. I could forsee more than a few people have catastrophic accidents trying to lift, then subsequently dropping the tv, cracking the glass edges. So take extreme caution when moving it. I wrapped mine in a blanket when I set it face down to install the wall mount.

So let's get to the all-important image quality. After calibrating the image controls, using Expert settings and the THX presets, I ended up preferring the neutral-white custom setting with contrast at 100, brightness at 50, with almost everything else centered or turned off, blacks as low as possible. Ah yes, the blacks. I am not someone who exaggerates often, so don't take this lightly when I say that the LG 50PZ950 puts out the worst blacks I have ever seen on a plasma tv. As a result, the image quality of this tv takes a big hit. Yes, it has nice contrast on non-3D films, but it still suffers from blacks that look more like gray. To put it frankly, my cheaper Vizio plasma had better image quality.

The 3D performance invariably suffers from the low light output and light blacks. I don't believe that the tv has enough custom controls for 3D. And the tv retains images for longer than I am accustomed. It is highly susceptible to burn-in, though not permanent. It is still annoying when it leaves traces after you leave a Bluray menu on for more than 3 minutes. My other plasma never had this level of image retention.

So after all this, I am seriously considering selling my 50PZ950 and buying a similarly-priced Panasonic, which I hear has much better image quality/blacks and 3D performance. If only this tv were slightly brighter with much better blacks, you might not even see as much image retention. Most of the time it looks like gray lines on black.

The software is chock full of features but the menu is pretty clunky. The Wii-like remote does help to navigate the menu easier, but it seems the response time once you click a button is lengthy. You can stream Netflix, access Facebook and install apps. One of the silliest and inexplicable engineering decisions is to put all the HDMI ports on the screen left side instead of the back. There is a silly amount of component and composite connections cluttering the black where the HDMI ports could have gone.

Based on its image quality, I can't recommend this tv. If you're looking to stay in the plasma realm, research Panasonic, Pioneer and even Vizio over this model.
1111 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2011
This is a great TV, at a great price. I love the picture quality in 2D and 3D (with the optional AG-S250 glasses), it performs extremely well with my Xbox 360 and PS3 and I'm happy I invested the extra money over the PZ550 and PZ750 - the Magic Remote, THX certification and TruBlack Filter were definitely worth it for my purposes.

Netflix is a nice feature and I hope they will keep updating this software, as it could have more picture/zoom settings - it doesn't really matter if you have other streaming devices, but it's still a point that could be improved.

I know this is not very much information, I've only had the TV for a week now, but I'd definitely recommend it to other customers and might update this review over time.
77 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2011
There aren't a lot of reviews on the 2011 top 3 Panasonic, Samsung, and LG offerings yet. What I have found tell me the Samsung isn't much better if at all over last years models while being hundreds of dollars more and the Panasonic is claimed to be superior in it's blacks, but I still don't like the look of the dingy whites it creates, to me this is a totally unacceptable trade-off, it too is hundreds of dollars more than last years. Both the Samsung and Panasonic are several hundred dollars more than the comparable LG model PZ950. If anyone is interested look up "2011 CES reviews" on the products you might be interested in and judge for yourself, these too aren't totally comprehensive reviews because these were pre-release sets they were looking at setup by the manufacturer. Do yourself a favor and search as many reviews as you can on the TV you're interested in, then go look at it yourself.

The LG has a beautiful frame and base with nearly invisible touch sensitive control buttons on the front, not on the bottom of the frame. When you turn it on a small cluster of blue LED lights flicker on and off almost like twinkling stars at the bottom inside the glass edge. The setup is very straight-forward and easy especially with the "Magic Motion Remote". I use this remote more than the other, it's like a laser pointer with volume and channel control. You can do everything just by pointing and clicking instead of using the up/down/left/right/enter buttons. Despite what the user that rated it 1 star said, "the LG does come with VuDu, not HuLu". Look at Amazons description on the LG Smart TV features @ (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000667211). Maybe she should have paid closer attention to the add and updated her software which is easy to do whether you're hooked up to a wired or wireless network. I bought mine with a package that included 2 pair of 3-D glasses and a WiFi ready 3-D BluRay player at a substantial savings. There's nothing to want for in this TV, the fact that it's hundreds less than the competitors is just icing on the cake and makes you wonder why anyone would spend the extra money for the other sets. Go look at them yourself, play with the settings, and decide for yourself. Don't judge this set unless you adjust the picture settings, and they are widely adjustable. The 3-D viewing is very cool. I watched "Resident Evil, Afterlife" in 3-D and I had a grin on my face watching the bullets whiz back and forth and the exploding concrete and glass. I also appreciate the sound leveler function which keeps commercials from blasting me out of my seat.

This is a great set and I'm anxious to see reviews from the big reviewers because I really think this TV is going to be a BIG BANG FOR THE BUCK winner this year equaling or beating competitors for hundreds less.
66 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2012
I've had this TV for over a month now and it is finally broken in. Ran it through color-cycling (highly recommended) to reduce the brightness of white phosphors and reduce image retention and prevent burn-in.

I can truly say this is one of the best TVs I have ever seen. I have owned a plethora of televisions, a Sony plasma, Samsung LCD, LG LED, Mitsubishi DLP, and finally this LG plasma. I can hands-down say this set beats the rest, combined.

Design:
The bevel-less front panel is both intriguing when the set is on or off. The frame is extremely thin (~2" at its deepest) and the base is large as the TV is heavy. There are 4 HDMI inputs, mounted on the side of TV and none on the back (only downfall). This means you cannot hide wires very easily, but it will reduce cable tension if you decide to wall mount it. Additionally, there is one AV input and 2 component inputs on the back.

Picture Quality (and black level tweak):
The picture is immensely vivid. I see individual colors on this TV that I failed to notice on all of my other sets. Contrast is sharp, with high contours and accurate detailing and imaging. The ONLY complaint about the picture with this TV are the black levels. I will attest to the fact that they are black to the average viewer, but not ink black that you expect to find in high-end plasma sets. HOWEVER, do NOT be deterred. There are a set of knobs that you can tweak if you remove the rear panel of the TV and access the internal components. The walk-through link is through AVS Forum and a quick search for "LG plasma panel tweaks for better blacks" on GOOGLE (very first hit) will reveal the guide that includes step-wise instructions and pictures. *sorry, cannot post urls on amazon*
The reason behind these black levels is for the manufacturer to maintain a consistent product that will work every time out of the box. During this tweaking process you will see pixel misfires and artifacts since you will be optimizing the set to its utmost potential (no harm in doing so). With another person, it will not take more than an hour to remove the rear panel, optimize the black levels, and replace the panel. Just play a blu-ray disc (preferably one WITH letterbox) as you will be trying to get the letterbox as black as possible. Scenes that are supposed to be black are quite black before this tweak, but afterwards, you will notice a HUGE difference and if you plan to invest in this set, this is a must-do. Do not try and change black levels through settings as it will skew the vivid colors.

3D:
This is truly better than the theaters. You see depth in every part of a scene and not only when things fly out at you. It is sort of like peering into an abyss that takes you along on a journey. You feel as if you are being sucked into the scene with its depth, rather than being pushed back in your seat like the theaters. I highly recommend Tron 3D as a first time purchase (after watching IMAX: Deep Sea and the Universe, Despicable Me, How to Train Your Dragon, and Alice in Wonderland). And for all those old reviews about the glasses that turn off every 10 minutes, I'm delighted to say that the problem was fixed with firmware and no longer exists when you update the TV.

Sound:
I cannot speak too much about the sound quality as I have it hooked up to a receiver and home theater system. However, I did run the TV speakers in parallel to my front stage stereo speakers and there are some neat features available. One, there is AV Sync so the sound is synced between the receiver and the TV and there is no reverb between the two. Playing the speakers alongside a stereo configuration allows for interesting options. If you do not have a center channel, the TV can essentially serve as the center if you turn on "Clear Voice," and boost the treble and lower the bass minutely. This way, your floor speakers can play the beefier sound to produce a full stage while your TV will play clearer dialogue. Also, if your receiver supports ARC, so does this TV. ARC is the ability to use a single HDMI cord between the two that allows the TV to send audio back to the receiver for it to play (like in Medialink *discussed later). This eliminates the need to run a digital (optical) cable between the two.

Calibration:
If you do not have the money or if you move annually, I would recommend the following settings to calibrate this set:
For a brighter picture-
R brightness 4
G brightness -14
B brightness 11
Eco mode Off

To emphasize blacks- Use the THX Cinema preset and press "8741" to unlock the settings. Set contrast to 68-69, brightness to 51, color 45-46, film mode always "ON" when possible.

Medialink:
This is my FAVORITE feature of the television. You can download movies and torrents online or digital copies of blu-rays and DVDs and place them into folders that you may upload onto the PLEX Media Server (available online via the instructions on the LG Medialink). This "Cloud Server" allows for playback of your movie library. The same goes for music and pictures. Then, the LG 60PZ950 will find your computer's Plex server on the network and you can proceed to stream all of the above to the TV, wirelessly. If your connection is up to it, you will not see any downscaling and can watch full 1080p blu-rays from your server.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
I researched, search and thought hard about what I wanted for our entertainment room so we could enjoy movies, Netflix, Vudu, and of course 3D TV. After researching 3D and the suggested need for a high refresh rate, I narrowed my research to plasma. After that I looked at my old standby Samsung (own a plasma, and a LCD version) and was not impressed with the features or price. I stumbled across this bad boy one day during lunch at work. After doing my research I was sold. I opted for the Amazon order because it is cheaper, and you get 24 months same as cash financing. Between LG's offer of a free Blu-Ray player and two pair of glasses I only had to buy two more pair and am set to watch movies.

It arrived ahead of schedule and was delivered by Pilot. My wife said they were very nice and hauled it downstairs to our entertainment room, un-boxed it and allowed her to plug it in, and they even installed the batteries in the remote so she could try that out as well. They removed all packing material, and when I got home all I had to do was install the base stand and hook it up to U-Verse.

We're in love with it... I'm a technologist by trade in the fields of engineering and IT and am quite picky about electronics. I am also a skeptic by nature and cannot find a thing wrong with the TV. It is absolutely perfect for us. Thin, cool (very little heat generated), low energy consumption and an absolute terrific picture (and sound) out of the box. I had to seriously adjust both the picture quality and sound for both of our Samsungs, and this baby is perfect. The THX mode in both picture and sound is terrific for movies.

Now for 3D - holy cow am I impressed. We watch "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" last night as our first family movie and as a skeptic wasn't expecting much. I believe it is better than the movie theater because of the better depth-of-field present throughout the entire movie. It makes the picture much richer and more enjoyable. You feel like you're looking at the image as real as if it's really in the room. The LG glasses are light, seem durable and the battery life was just fine. I wear progressive lense eyeglasses and was worried that they would not fit over them and they did just fine. One of my kids reports they could lie down on the couch and still see 3D just fine (I didn't try so I cannot completely confirm that, but this child is 13 and is not prone to exagerate). I tried watching 3D offset from the center of the screen and still saw 3D but it was a little more deminished the further I moved left or right, but still there (I attribute Plasma's wider viewing angle as assisting in that). Four to six people setting on a couch could easily enjoy full 3D with no problem. I was able to recline and still saw 3D as well. There was no ghosting, or ill effects during the entire movie while using 3D.

So... I have no complaints, and wish you absolute enjoyment when you decide to buy the same TV.
on November 5, 2011
This TV has everything one could want - THX, ISF, lots of apps, and various av modes at a great price point. The TV looks great. The black is a little less than I anticipated and the picture wizard takes some tweaking. All and all picture is nice.

The problem with the TV is when watching a 3D picture. First it says put on your glasses - which is fine but the box never seems to go away unless you press the remote ok button. A minor gripe but it was annoying. The second problem is the glasses that come with the TV - they shut off every 10 mins. Yes it's a documented feature. I called LG and the support rep told me they were clearly defective. After I pointed out the documentation he talked to the tech department who confirmed they did shut off. They told me I would have to return the glasses for a new pair that is software level .64 (the current ones are .63). When I asked if Amazon would know to give me the right level they said doubtful as the glasses are not available and no retailer has them. When I asked for an eta I was told that there wasn't one.

I really like the picture and the TV is a good size but I can't have a 3D TV that forces you to turn on the glasses every 10 mins. It really interrupts the viewing experience to go from a suspenseful event to a fuzzy picture. I've contact LG support numerous times. Their support is spotty at best. They say call back tomorrow, we will get back to you, and sometimes they just don't answer.

With LG now moving to passive 3d I suspect fixing the existing glasses is not high on their priority list. I contacted Amazon, and as always, got top notch support. I will be returning the TV and replacing it with another brand.
on May 11, 2011
Pro:
Picture quality is fantastic.
Very thin. About as thin as my 47 inch LG LED tv.
Came with wireless N adapter.
Net content is solid.
3D content looks pretty good. About as good as the movie theater as far as quality goes.
Beautiful looking TV even when it is off.

Con:
Magic remote is a bit clunky. Although I still like having it, especially for typing text.
2D to 3D up-conversion is not all that impressive. It looks 3D but there isn't much depth in most scenes.
The wireless N adapter has a really annoying bright blue LED light when plugged in. (coloring mine with a dark marker)

Comments:
Compared to my 47inch 120Hz LED LG TV. This one has better color accuracy, better blacks, very similar picture quality, but a noticeably dimmer picture. Personally, I like this TV better. I highly recommend it.
Shipping went well. However, the company did not call until they were in my driveway, would have liked a call an hour before to make sure someone was home to receive it.