Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,184 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,393 reviews
I rarely buy DVDs any longer because it is so easy to watch most movies on Amazon or Netflix without buying them. But occasionally I see one, like We Bought a Zoo, that I like so much I want to add it to our collection. I did purchase We Bought a Zoo on DVD.

Based on a true story this was a good family movie, although the younger ones wouldn't be able to follow the subtle meaning behind some of the dialog which was very important to the overall story. Our smart five year old wouldn't get it. I'd think 8 to 10 years old and up might be a better age. The story has a grief theme as the mother of the children has passed away before the story begins. That thread runs through the movie and is the foundation for the entire story.

I have several movies with Matt Damon but I feel this is his best role.

This is a heartwarming family movie with light touches on the problems that arise during the story. The story is totally believable, and it's packed with a great cast. I always like Thomas Hayden Church who had a smaller role in We Bought a Zoo.

Movie making is all about the director. A director can totally screw up a good story and acting, or can bring a poor story to life. Cameron Crowe did a bang up job on this one. I think he may have squeezed a bit more out of a decent story than most directors could have.

This isn't an animal-centric movie so don't expect that. It's much more about the people and their struggle to make the zoo work. It's fairly predictable but for me that's okay for a family film. There are lots of light touches for a good chuckle.

Why not 5 stars? I reserve that rating for nothing but the best movies. While this is a great family film it simply isn't a match for some of my true favorites (Shawshank Redemption, Casablanca, that sort of thing).
on July 27, 2014
This movie was...okay. It lacked conflict and drama and consequently it was really quite boring. It wasn't OFFENSIVE or anything, but it was pretty snooze-worthy. Damon plays a dad whose wife died and who buys a run-down zoo. They don't show any scenes with the wife except for the end, where she's seen in a brief flashback, and only THEN do you get a glimpse of how much/why they miss her so. I think she should have been shown earlier, so we'd sympathize more vividly with the characters, instead of in a very abstract sort of way.

And, I also had a problem with the deus ex machina move (SPOILER) when they're about to lose the zoo and LO AND BEHOLD, the wife left them secret money. Because she freaking predicted that her husband would lose all his inheritance and want to do something kinda crazy yet possibly wonderful.

It's not worse than a standard kids' afternoon TV show, but I expected better from Cameron Crowe.

The settings are quite pretty, though.

I watched this with my family. My kids (ages 8,12,15) were bored. My 12 year old left. The others only stayed for the popcorn.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 9, 2014
I love a great story.. and this is one. I have to say movie reviews are subjective, and this is my opinion. It's just a great life story. I am not really a Matt Damon fan, however, he does well here in this roll. There are some deep themes and some language so I am not sure it's appropriate for younger ones, but parents decide. This story is based on a true life story and I wanted to go right away to see it... but it's actually in England... so it might be awhile. :)
on February 28, 2016
While the movie was cute and based on a true story and certainly worth a family viewing I am irate that I pay for a Prime subscription and still have to pay to watch an "older movie". This is absolutely the last time I watch any "pay to watch" from Amazon. In fact I may be canceling my Prime Membership as I'm not ordering as much stuff as I use to but kept it so I could watch some different movies but since I have to pay extra for them what's the need for Prime. Prime Membership isn't that great any more.
This movie was surprisingly good as compared to the preconceived notion I had prior to watching it, and it is a movie the entire family can enjoy: I would have given it a 4 star rating but the other three members of my family gave it 5 stars.

Matt Damon delivers as a father struggling with raising two children by himself, Scarlett Johansson actually does a good bit of acting in this one vs. just looking good for the camera (which she does with no problem), and the two children might be our next generation of child stars. I thought the first 15 minutes or so of the movie started off slow, but the opening scenes are necessary to set the stage for the remainder of the story and it all comes together. If you're looking for a good movie the entire family can sit around and enjoy, you might give this one a shot.
on March 19, 2017
Found this movie worth making the time too watch.
on March 14, 2017
I enjoyed this movie. Love it!
on March 20, 2017
Good Product.
on November 1, 2013
It is an ok DVD to watch with the family but not something than can be highly recommended.....enjoy if you want a family flick.
on March 7, 2017
good wholesome movie - loved it!!