Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on March 8, 2011
I've had this monitor for a few days. My first impressions are very good. Screen is great with no dead pixels and even lighting.

Pros:
Great picture
Looks good

Cons (and these I expected):
Stand isn't adjustable vertically
Speakers sound terrible. (tinny, which is to be expected on a monitor this skinny)

There's a gotcha I experienced hooking up my Macbook Pro via a Display Port to HDMI adapter. At first, choosing the 1080p resolution produces an image that's too large for the screen - that is the edges are chopped off. Adjusting the under/overscan slider makes it fit, but at the expense of being fuzzy. The solution is in the monitor's setting, under input select, each HDMI input has an AV/PC setting. Mine were set to AV by default. Switching that to PC made the image fit perfectly with no fuzzies.
2626 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
Having upgraded to a 24" VA2431 (non-LED) ViewSonic at the office, was enough to embark on a 27"-monitor-for-home-quest that would better its performance. After enough research, the final contenders were narrowed down to the Samsung S27A550H (LED) and the ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED; however the Samsung was nixed due to reported light bleed and stand issues, the lack of forward tilt, as well as enough users citing poorly rendered text. Not having seen it in the flesh, the latter may be attributed to among other things: user inability to select Samsung's PC Mode. Nonetheless after receiving the ViewSonic, I:
A. Hooked it up to a desktop system (E4500 Core 2 CPU, XP Sp3, XFX ATI Radeon HD6670 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card HD667XZAF3) via D-Sub.
B. Installed the software.
C. Used the interface buttons on the monitor to access the monitor's setup menu and changed it to "PC Mode".
D. Accessed ATI's Catalyst Control Center to change the overscan to 0% - to better fill the viewable space.
E. Went back into the monitor's setup menu and changed the:
* Horizontal Size until the image went corner-to-corner.
* Operation of the front bezel LED to turn off when the panel was in use (a nice feature).
* Brightness and contrast settings to yield a more pleasing image.
* LCD response time to Advanced.
F. Switched to the included HDMI Cable.
The results were well delineated text (without adjusting Microsoft's ClearType text), smooth motion, good contrast, very nice detail and an overall image that popped when source material was up to it (and I haven't adjusted Fine Tune and Sharpness yet)!

Though I have the front bezel LED turned off when the panel is in use, it does glow a brighter than needed amber when the monitor is in standby. So with a reasonable disdain for needless light pollution from equipment in my environment, I used a Sharpie along the bottom surface of the LED fascia which dimmed output by roughly 50%. That notwithstanding, a design team more on the ball would have made it dimmable in user-selectable steps.

It's interesting to note that when a Dell XPS15 Laptop was connected to the ViewSonic, the image was somewhat faded compared to the XPS' 1080P panel (or the XFX desktop video card for that matter); however a few adjustments took care of that in short order. Speaking of laptops and ViewSonic monitors: the home and the work laptops (both I7-2620M CPU Win7 64 machines from different manufacturers) use Intel's HD 3000 integrated video hardware and kick over to an Nvidia adapter when needed. On the work PC/VA2431 monitor combination I needed to make adjustments to ClearType text so characters appeared as anomaly free as possible. The VX2753' on the other hand needed no such adjustment from either the home desktop or laptop with text looking so far the best I've seen.

Also noteworthy is when I tested for video judder at home (desktop) and work (laptop) using VLC Media Player and The Incredibles, the number of occurrences was unfortunately way too high; and with the VLC too unstable in both locations: I uninstalled it. In both locations I installed the Essentials Codec Pack (free @ mediacodec.org) and (with that came) Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Player; and though judder through MPC-HC or Windows Media Player (which couldn't play a movie until I installed the codec pack) was greatly reduced, it still happened on the home desktop. Using either player on the work PC after the ECP install and the problem was gone almost entirely. It wasn't until I switched to an old standby of PowerDVD 7 at home that the movie looked as good (lack of judder-wise) as the work PC running either MPC-HC or WMP. Though I haven't tried testing movies on the Dell Laptop, I realized the judder problems were not attributable to the monitor at a 60Hz refresh rate.

What I'm getting at is this: any display problems attributed to a correctly operating VX2753' will boil down to: user error and/or upstream hardware/software issues - not the monitor.

Dislikes
1. If installed, the included software seems nothing more than wasted drive space as the "drivers" appear to be useless and a monitor configuration utility is not included.
2. Because of the above, one relies on the menu buttons which are harder to press than needed and provides little in the way of tactile differentiation.
3. Unfortunately those buttons are on the right side bezel, so those wanting two or more of the monitors side-by-side, will find menu access more inconvenient; therefore, they should've been placed on the bottom bezel.
4. Certain features (Horizontal Size, Fine Tune, etc.) are only available when using a D-Sub Cable.
5. From what little I saw of it, the dynamic contrast is detrimental...
6. The front LED is a bit bright though it's easily fixed.
7. The large and unnecessary HDMI lettering on the front bezel (fortunately becomes mostly innocuous when using the monitor).
8. The speakers are somewhere just above two cans and a string.
9. As a discerning product designer and user, it's easy to see that the lettering, LED, software, button placement and functionality are hits an otherwise outstanding product takes when less than talented product team members spill their lack of ability on it. Therefore there's a corresponding hit on pride of ownership.

Likes
1. Due to the screen size, it's easy to read two documents side-by-side.
2. No dead pixels.
3. Panel can be supported via stand or "kickstand".
4. The base connects securely to the "kickstand" via wing nut.
5. The stand is very supportive and stable.
6. No back-light bleed.
7. Evenly lit across the panel.
8. Imparts a great deal of graphics detail.
9. Text is extremely crisp and evenly rendered.
10. Selectable LCD Response Time (VS quotes the time it takes a pixel to go from black to white to black [in milliseconds], which is more stringent than the common G2G [gray-to-gray in milliseconds]).
11. At the "Advanced" (2ms?) LCD response setting, motion is very linear without artifacts that I can detect.
12. Front bezel LED can be configured to turn off when the panel is in use.
13. Due to LED backlighting and associated circuitry driving the panel, this model (according to the website) typically consumes 20 watts (presumably when in use as opposed to an average of in-use and standby times); however, the manual states 36 watts.
14. Uses less than 1 watt in Standby.
15. The panel can tilt forward 5 degrees (helpful in my setup).
16. 1200:1 contrast ratio is the best spec. I've seen for 27" panels.
17. One of the brighter panels at 300 cd/m2.
18. Very good color saturation.
19. Relatively light weight.
20. HDMI and D-Sub cables come with it.
21. Surprisingly the HDMI Cable fits snuggly at both ends.
22. Very good viewing angles for a TN panel.
23. 3 year warranty.
24. Generates very little heat.
25. Mac compatible.
26. Considering all of the above, it may be one of the best 27" 1080P monitors under $1,000.00. It is so good at rendering text, graphics and motion, that those considering spending much more may think twice about their prospective purchase after reading this and/or seeing one setup to their liking.

With the quest over and the novelty of having upgraded from a 19" Samsung to the 27" ViewSonic still intact, some very cool free software was put into service. First the desktop was cleared of any icons, and RocketDock was installed (RocketDock.Com) along with icons I chose from their site. Next I downloaded Wallpaper Cycler Lite (Download.CNET.Com), made a few categories, then sourced some excellent (and also free) HD wallpaper from HDwallpapers.In and Desktopnexus.Com. With RocketDock and the XP Taskbar set to auto-hide, the rest is unfettered HD eye candy - once a minute - until the PC is needed or put in standby.

Enjoy your monitor.
1111 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2011
This monitor has taken some flack for the way it sounds, so I will review this first. As far as sound goes, the built-in speakers are not very nice sounding from what I tried of them, although this was without the included software which is intended to improve their sound output. However, fitting amazing speakers in such a tight place as this really thin monitor is not possible due to the reality of sound production requiring a certain speaker size to produce various frequencies due to simple physics of vibration creation. If you want good sound though, all you have to do is buy a nice, inexpensive pair of computer speakers such as Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer and plug them into the sound output on the back of the monitor and it will route all of the sound input from the HDMI into them, which is quite nice.

That said, keep in mind that first and foremost you are purchasing an LCD monitor. Its true purpose is to display your desktop, images, videos and etc from your computer (or your Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-Ray player and etc), not to play sound. In that realm, as far as 24" monitors go from what I have seen and used, this is simply the best I have seen when compared to displays from vendors such as ASUS and Apple. The colours are extremely vivid and the viewing angles are very nice (can see movies/games from the extreme sides). The back-lighting is perfectly balanced, non-bleeding and it is great for watching HD movies as well as playing games or doing standard web browsing. It is also extremely thin and light despite being 24".

In short, if you are considering buying this monitor; do.
1212 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2011
This is an excellent monitor considering what it offers. I am a person who sticks to a brand which delivers high quality and is worth using for several years. In monitors I prefer Sony, ViewSonic or HP. I have been using Sony SDM-S95DR LCD 19 inch monitors for almost several years in the office. Even Samsung is doing great in monitor/screens but somehow I have a negative feeling/experience about this brand and it cannot be compared with brands like Sony. I got this for my personal from Micro-Center ($208 including tax) for use at home and is just wonderful and saves hell lot of space. I reviewed this product on Amazon / Internet and then thought of going for it.

Pros:
1. Amazing resolution 1920x1080p.
2. No hassle installing the product. I am using Win 7 and installed the software in CD came with the box.
3. Ultra-Thin for sure in it's competition.
4. 2 HDMI ports and 1 VGA (D-Sub) port available with IN and OUT sound ports.
5. Also like the feature where you can place the monitor like a photo-frame. Just pull slowly the lever from the back and place it on the desk. No need to install the stand.
6. About looks: It's decent and pretty professional looking. I really don't like those glossy girly frames.

Cons:
1. It has in-built speaker, but the volume is damn low at it's high setting. But I really don't care as I prefer separate speakers. This is why I snatched 1 star from the rating. But considering an ultra thin model this is what we should expect.

Additional information:
If you use HDMI connection, couple of menus will be disabled. Also if you experience your picture being crossing the screen then you may have to select HDMI from the Input Selection from Menus. Menus like Auto image adjust and couple more are grayed-out/disabled with HDMI connection. It's the behavior and not a fault.
Also note that this is a LED Backlit LCD monitor. These day manufacturers usually call "LED Backlit LCD" display as "LED" display.

The most selling on Amazon is ViewSonic VX2450WM as compared to this but VX2450WM has no HDMI and this has 2 HDMI connections with 1 D-Sub and is ultra thin.

Update: March 15th 2012 12:22 PM EST
You cannot rotate the monitor after installing the stand. Not a disadvantage for me because I don't keep on changing the position of my monitor. As it's weight is very light, moving/rotating the whole monitor position is very easy. These aren't those huge CRT like monitors where you really need those rotating stands.

Crisp quality and saves space, absolutely no issues faced till date. 100% recommended.

Update: Jan 22nd 2014 04:52 PM EST
Still using it. No dead pixels. Running like a Titan.

Cheers.
2929 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2011
Now yes! Better better contrast:
If you use RGB format, black will be just dark gray. So use YCbCr444 mode. If you have a nvidia card, go to nvidia control panel - adjust desktop color settings - digital color format and choose YCbCr44. Then under the monitor's control menu go to manual image adjust - display mode and choose YUV mode.

key words hopping that some people can find this review: (Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch, washed out, image, better, contrast, black, backlight, leaking, bad, annoying)
1919 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2011
I actually bought this at a local store at the same price as listed on Amazon, as I needed it the same day.

Pros: Low power usage, zero heat or noise generation, even LED backlighting with zero bleedthrough and no stuck pixels...a great monitor for the price. You can snap on the included pedestal stand, or just swing out the attached bookstand L-shaped mount to prop up without the stand. No ghosting, crystal clear picture with very accurate color and black/white levels (after making OSD menu adjustments as listed below) decent 3-year warranty (including backlight), and it included VGA and HDMI cables (must buy DVI-HDMI adapter to hook up to some graphics cards without HDMI, most newer cards include these adapters if they don't have built-in HDMI plugs.) Nice that you can simultaneously hook up 2 sources (say a PC and a laptop) and switch between the 2 sources by using the OSD menu buttons. You can set the monitor to auto shut off after a specified amount of time, if desired.

Cons: Not the best viewing angles (especially vertical) if you're not looking at it head-on (lower half of screen gets noticably darker just by moving your head a couple of inches higher.) This monitor does not have VESA mounting holes, and the built-in speakers are extremely weak (low sound and zero bass.)

NOTE: Once I booted into windows, I noticed that changing the resolution as instructed by Viewsonic to 1920x1080 at 60Hz, there was a 3/4 inch border around all edges of the windows screen, as others have mentioned. Having an ATI (AMD) graphics card, I went into the graphics card's properties and changed the monitor screen refresh rate from 60 Hz to 59 Hz and windows then filled out the screen perfectly. Try this if you have this issue.

After initial hookup and making a few OSD menu adjustments, I'm very pleased with the display quality. I was sure to turn off the "dynamic contrast" setting, set my input source as HDMI1-PC, changed the response time setting from regular to "ultra fast", and changed the settings of the following:
contrast: 68
brightness: 47
red: 83
green: 84
blue: 96
I used calibration images and videos to come up with these settings.

I wasn't expecting the speakers to be very powerful, but these are extremely soft and tinny; sounds like a cheap laptop at 30% volume in the next room. Get separate speakers unless in an office environment. I didn't buy this monitor for the speakers; just think of them as an additional option if necessary.

I knew about the lack of VESA mounting capability before my purchase, so no big deal. My home office has a lot of bright sunlight streaming in, so I was happy about the matte screen finish. I like the "bookstand" feature, just swung out the already-attached L-shaped prop up arm in the back.

Be sure to register online to activate the 3-year warranty
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2011
I was on the verge of returning this monitor. The monitor was brilliant when connected with a VGA cable - vivid colors, text very sharp and in focus.

But with an HDMI cable, the picture was terrible - washed out, blurry text, black bars around the picture. This seemed to be the case with two different notebook computers - both of which had ATI Radeon video cards.

I made two calls to Viewsonic tech support and the second person actually recommended that I return the monitor for an exchange or refund!

Finally, thanks to lots of experimentation and reading through the user reviews and comments here, I was able to fix the problem:
1) On the monitor itself, press (1) for the menu > Input Select > and make sure that your HDMI input is set to PC and not to AV.
2) On your computer, open up the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Find your display in the menu. It may show up as DTV (HDMI). With a text window open on the monitor, adjust the Underscan / Overscan until the text suddenly pops into sharp focus. For me, this was all the way at an Overscan of 0%.

Now that I made this change, the quality is outstanding.
88 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 11, 2011
Last week I got seriously irritated with my 20" monitor because I just couldn't fit all the windows I needed to on the screen...and I'd casually been looking for a new monitor anyway because I wanted to explore LED.

The Viewsonic was my final choice, after reading tons of reviews both here and on the vendor website.

The monitor arrived shortly and within 10 minutes I had it up and running in full and gorgeous 1920x1080. The monitor is light and easy to setup - the base is packed separately and installs with a twist of the wing screw. It's a sturdy base, square shaped, and it fits nicely on my desk.

My current computer system has DVI plugs on the video card, so I did have to purchase a companion product (I chose the 15ft Premium HDMI to DVI Cable). The cable is PLENTY long to reach around my desk, and with a snap it was plugged in. Just because this monitor includes 2 HDMI inputs, and a VGA input but no DVI, I dropped a star. I didn't really want to buy yet another cable to connect things...I would have preferred full compatibility.

The monitor itself is gorgeous - the colours are represented very well, and after spending some time in my NVIDIA control panel I had the gamma and contrast (etc.) adjusted exactly where I wanted it. Then it was time to test it in a game!

I am a big Dragon Age fan...so I loaded up Dragon Age II and got started. Colours were gorgeous - very responsive to game play...and if you play the game you know that during a fight there is a LOT going on across the screen...especially with multiple mages and AOE. So that was my primary test.

In all other areas (office applications, general explorer use) it was snappy, crisp, and again the colour looked great. For the first time in about 5 years, I actually am using a background wallpaper now instead of black...just because it's so pretty!

Visually the monitor casing itself has a LOT of text on it. there's the viewsonic brand name, 1080p full hd, a big "HDMI" with the acronym spelled out below it (seriously??), and big blocky "LED" that actually looks cute because of the font....three toucans stamped into the upper left...and then of course the menu buttons on the right side.

Exploring the monitor's hardware menu is easy to do, and you can select different inputs very quickly, as well as adjust all your bright/con/colour/etc settings.

Overall - the monitor is really quite HUGE and fits all the windows I need it to fit. Cool LED technology and super-fast response time...great monitor for a great price. 4 stars.
on December 30, 2011
Nice, large screen. Reason for 3/5 stars is the lack of VESA mount. I didnt notice the lack of VESA mounting provisions till I had already unboxed the monitor and started getting it setup. Dont really want to go through the hassle of reboxing and returning the monitor to Amazon. But I should have bought the ASUS VE248HASUS VE248H 24-Inch LED Monitor model instead. Just be aware that you are locked into using Viewsonic's stand with this screen.
66 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2011
This is only the third monitor I've owned, its predecessors a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900U and a Sony SDM-HS93. That said, I've used a variety of monitors at work and ViewSonic's models have always seemed to deliver good performance for a reasonable price. This particular model caught my eye for several reasons:

* It's a 27-inch behemoth and a nice upgrade from the 24- and 22-inch monitors to which I'm accustomed to working on.
* It has HDMI connectivity, which I prefer over DVI inputs since my laptop has an HDMI-out.

While it's not the least expensive 27-inch monitor on the market, it's competitively priced considering some higher priced offerings from ViewSonic's competitors don't feature HDMI input.

Upon removing the monitor from its box, I was pleasantly surprised by the monitor's overall aesthetics. I'm most concerned about the quality of the on-screen graphics. However, the glossy black finish surrounding the screen is very nice. (It would've been nice if ViewSonic had affixed the white "LED," "HDMI," and "1080p Full HD" labels using stickers so that they could be easily removed.) The power button and other settings controls are located on the right side of the monitor, tucked behind a small ledge that hides them from plain sight. The blue crescent power indicator is just that: an indicator that the monitor is on and not a button of some kind. It doesn't provide much illumination, which is a key consideration is you're planning to watch movies in a darkened room with this monitor.

I can't share any horror stories: the monitor arrived in great condition in just five days. I cannot find any bad pixels, et cetera. Since I'm using HDMI, set up was simple: I just connected the supplied HDMI cable from the back of the monitor to my laptop and toggled projector mode in Windows Mobility Center. My only gripe is that I've found that I must use 1680 x 1050 instead of 1920 x 1080 resolution. (My laptop's display works fine in 1920 x 1080 resolution.) Online research suggests that my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics card is the culprit and that updating its driver may resolve the issue. Unfortunately, I've had similar issues connecting my laptop via HDMI to my 32- and 55-inch flat-panel televisions and have tried updating said driver to no avail.

Overall, I'm very happy with the ViewSonic VX2753MH-LED monitor.

10/04/2011 UPDATE: I thoroughly researched and troubleshot my laptop's refusal to properly display 1920 x 1080 resolution It was, without question, my laptop's ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics card. After reconfiguring Catalyst Control Center (CCC), I was able to force my laptop to display 1920 x 1080 resolution on both the new ViewSonic VX2753MH-LED monitor and my 55-inch Sony BRAVIA KDL-55HX800. I didn't need to update any drivers after all; I simply had to patiently read a handful of Internet forums and tinker with CCC's settings. (One would think that AMD would find a way to improve CCC so that their customers don't have to resolve the the issue that I encountered.)

I also wished to comment on the subject of the monitor's speakers. I agree: the built-in speakers are poor. I've listened to music from a variety of genres and played some video games and everything sounds like you're listening to the music/game audio with paper cones (think toilet paper tubes) taped over your ears. That said, I've not listened to music or played a computer game without a decent sound card and a good set of computer speakers in over ten years. I use a Yamaha YST-MS55D 2.1 system at home and a very inexpensive pair of Logitech X-140 speakers at work.

My point is this: just as you wouldn't rely on the nicest television's built-in speakers for your home theater system, you shouldn't rely your monitor's built-in speakers for your computer media's audio.