Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 31, 2015
UPDATE: Feb. 17, 2015. I have used this Crock-Pot a dozen times since writing my review ... and it gets better and better! I've made casseroles, breakfast dishes, beans, roast, ribs, Mexican food dishes - all just great (including the chicken/rice recipe with the rice cooked in the Crock-Pot)! The stoneware liner is easy to clean and food is NOT sticking to the sides or bottom. Warmer feature is super and it does not appear to be too hot. I found that when a cooking time range is given, such as 6-8 hours, I should probably go with the low or middle part of the range. For someone who actually HATES to cook, I'm becoming a regular Betty Crocker, and even experimenting, because cooking is SO easy with this appliance. I'm SO glad I made this purchase! Now ... back to your regular programming with the original review ...
----------------

I have an old Crock-Pot and it still works, but is too small for a roast, etc. So I got this one for two reasons: 1) bigger, 2) can program the time and temperature setting. I've only used it twice and, at this point, I am extremely satisfied. Should things change, I most definitely will update.

The programmable feature is really nice because you can set the cooking temperature on LOW or HIGH and set the cooking time in 30-minute increments all the way up to 20 hours. Some other "programmable" slow cookers have a few time/temp combination options but they are quite limited - this one gives you total control. Once the programmed cooking time is finished, the Crock-Pot automatically turns to "warm." The controls are touch (instead of turn dials) and very user-friendly. The user manual is small, but complete, and includes a couple recipes.

My first dish: Breakfast Casserole (photo attached). Very tasty and the Crock-Pot worked perfectly. There was some extra browning around the edges so I probably need to adjust the cook time a bit ... and you'll have to do that with any slow cooker. Second dish: Hot Sausage Stew. Again, the appliance worked perfectly and the "warm" feature is great because the food finished cooking before I was ready to eat. Keep in mind: you may consider the "warm" temp to be hotter than you expect but that's because of government regulations, not the Crock-Pot.

This Crock-Pot holds a LOT of food! I'm cooking for just me so I put some in the fridge and the rest in smaller containers in the freezer. And since I truly hate to cook, this is the best way to keep me out of the kitchen but still have good food to eat.

The food I prepared didn't stick to the stoneware and it was super easy to clean. Just hot, soapy water and rinse. You can also put the stoneware and the glass lid in the dishwasher. I will probably never use the "carry" function but I did try the locked lid and the rubber seal is tight and should make it easy to take your dish to the potluck, etc. Just don't lock the lid while you're cooking!

Bottom line: the ability to truly program the cooking time/temp ... and the "warm" function ... make this my top kitchen appliance (right along side my George Foreman grill). I'm actually looking for slow cooker recipes to try - and I can't believe I'm doing that! My old Crock-Pot is at least 15 years old and that's why I chose this brand. Because of the "computer" that allows the programming, I know the chances of it lasting that long are probably slim because the fancier you get, the more chances you have of something going wrong. But the price is right and, so far, I'm very happy with my purchase. Amazon shipping was fast and the slow cooker was packed in its original box with plenty of protection.
review image
684 helpful votes
685 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on February 23, 2012
I really shopped around when looking at crock pots because they are expensive. I had heard mixed reviews all around about the cooking temps on some of these being too high or too low or some models automatically shutting off before they are done cooking or even in some cases the electronics lock up to the point of having to unplug and leave unplugged for an hour...this doesn't do any of that. We've used it about 15 times since we bought it (often several times a week) and love throwing a whole meal in there in the morning and coming home after work to a prepared meal. This is truly a fix it and forget it crock pot! I will leave 2 comments that reference some other bad reviews on here:

1. This thing stinks - Yes, the first time you use it, it does have a weird plastic type smell that even smells in the air as you cook. This smell will go away literally after the first use. Washing it first won't help. It didn't affect the taste of the food in the least.
2. The warm feature is too hot - It is a slow cooker, so when it switches to warm, it doesn't immediately turn off like your oven. The automatic feature of it switching to warm once the timer is done is really cool. It will keep the food HOT, but not boiling. I've left it on warm for about 1-2 hours before because I wasn't ready to eat and it kept it at serving temperature, not cooking temperature. Our old crockpot would let it get too tepid to be considered a "warm" setting.
2,820 helpful votes
2,821 helpful votes
4343 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2017
As many have noted it cooks very hot. To keep the cost down, the unit does not have an internal temperature sensor and instead has a fixed, "always-on" wattage for each setting which eventually boils at all settings, including Warm. The only difference between settings is how long it will take to reach this point. This actually works out okay for me most of the time using the High setting and cooking for 5 hours or so while keeping an eye on things, but true slow-and-low cooking using the Low setting may overcook certain low moisture dishes if left alone for the day. I used the Low setting for spaghetti sauce with ground beef and it was burned after 6 hours.
143 helpful votes
144 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on January 15, 2017
Good:

-the locking lid for travel is nice
-the digital timer is convenient, and the reason I purchased this model.

Bad:

-this thing cooks insanely too hot. No exaggeration--I'm having to cook some recipes 3 hours less than their recommended time. Needless to say, there's been A LOT of returning home from work (and hungry) to a wonderful smelling house only to find our food turned to leather or burnt. Until this issue is fixed, save your money.
46 helpful votes
47 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on January 1, 2016
We were big Crock-Pot fans until we bought this one. Our old crockpot of five years or so died and we replaced it with this model. Unfortunately this crockpot runs VERY hot. Using the low setting for a tried and true recipe we had cooked in our old crockpot... our meat burned in this model. Using only the warm setting for chili - not having been on high or low first - our food was still bubbling (as in boiling) hot. We contacted crockpot and the "helpful" rep told me that they've updated the temperature settings and to fix the issue we should, "stop using recipes from the 1980s." What in the world?!? No mention of dates was used during our conversation what does that have to do with anything? This crockpot burned every recipe that had cooked just fine in our older model. We exchanged this model for another one and had the same results. It's a defective product, Crockpot. Wake up and fix the issue!

Since Crockpot customer service was less than helpful, we decided to buy a very popular model of electric pressure cooker with 6 or 7 functions that includes slow cooking. We are very pleased with the 7 function cooker and ditched the crock pot, no need for a defective product taking up valuable space in our kitchen!
73 helpful votes
74 helpful votes
on January 20, 2016
My toddler has elevated lead levels. In speaking with his doctor and the Health Department about possible sources, I was *specifically* cautioned against crockpots and other ceramics made in Mexico and China. I bought this to replace a slow cooker of questionable origin because the listing says it's made in the USA. So, imagine my disappointment when I unpacked it to find a giant "Made in Mexico" sticker on the bottom, and the same thing printed on the box. There's a lot of info available on the lead dangers of imported ceramics. Please do research before buying. If it's a concern for you do not buy this product.
review imagereview image
271 helpful votes
272 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on September 16, 2016
So far very happy with this purchase. Easy to clean. Latches on lid are very convenient for travel and storage. Noticed a slight burning smell (plastic) the first time we used this but since then, it's been fine.
3 helpful votes
on December 4, 2016
I saw some reviews about it now shutting off after the cooking time, but my goes to the keep warm setting after the timer finishes.
3 helpful votes
on April 5, 2016
I love this crockpot. I make A LOT of crock pot dishes and this one is perfect. It is a great size. I love the digital timer and setting options. I don't take it on the go very often, but it is so nice that the lid fastens down to secure everything so it doesn't spill out all over. I would definitely recommend this product to other people.
1 helpful vote
on January 21, 2016
Works great! Both of us work daily so setting a crock pot up in the morning to cook always dried out any roasts or meat. Soups etc. were fine but this was very limiting. We purchased this crock pot specifically for the timer functions and oval shape. I can now attest to wonderful results. Our dishes come out perfect at the end of the day when we arrive home.
1 helpful vote