Customer Reviews: LEGO Cars Mack's Team Truck 8486
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon August 9, 2011
My son got this for his fifth birthday. This was our first experience with a bigger Lego kit and first experience with the numbered-bag system that Lego is using these days.

I was quite pleased with the bag system, first of all. This allows you to only open up and spread out the Legos needed for the current directions. So, rather than lose the pieces needed for the last stages while you're working on the beginning, you've got them all neatly bagged up. The picture in the directions warning the user not to spread Legos in the carpet is humorous. As a father of three, I recognize the danger of the Lego Minefield and the sheer impossibility of preventing it. It's okay. Having kids who build stuff with Legos, and not just the pre-defined kit (they've got Legos from my childhood, but no directions!) is worth the foot injuries.

On to Mack: he was easy to put together. First, there's the included Lightning McQueen. He's the same scale as the stand-alone McQueenLEGO Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen 8200 or Mater LEGO Classic Mater 8201, both of which are already in our house. So, he plays well with those two cars. Mack is of the appropriate scale to fit McQueen, so he's bigger, but not huge.

The steps for Mack were easy to follow. You build the cab, then the trailer body, then finish off the trailer. I'd guess we spent about an hour on it, but that was with my son doing it "all himself." Any parent understands what that means: slower than it would normally have gone with a few re-do moments. Not a complaint, just the reality.

As put together, Mack works. The roof is hinged and one side panel is hinged to allow access to the bay. This does work, and it seems sturdy enough. The wheels roll, and Mack looks like Mack in the movie. Obviously, he doesn't look perfectly like a real Mack Truck, but he's not supposed to. That's this kit: LEGO Truck 3221.

The only real downside is this: by putting the stickers on to make the model, you're not really going to get the good Lego tear it apart and build something else fun. That's ok, because that's what the other Legos are for!
on May 21, 2013
My boy really enjoys the Disney Cars franchise and in particular Mack. He was a real education to watch him try to take short cuts but having to learn to follow directions. When parts break off he searches for the assembly book and asks me to help him put it back together. But once I turn to the right page he is off and running. He loves this set and of course wants many more. The only issue is I wish some of the parts had a tighter fit.
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2012
I bought this Lego set for my grandson and he loved it. He made several variations of it that only kids can do with their imaginations. Lego's pretty much last forever and are tough to break and he loves it even though he is only 6 years old and rough on some toys. It is one toy that he continues to enjoy over and over.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 14, 2012
Purchased this gift for my six year old nephew who is well past diapers now. But, after receiving this, he might need one, LOL. Very happy child. It is typical high quality LEGO. What more can you say. If a young boy has seen Cars, then this is a great gift. Highly recommend.
on January 15, 2012
Excellent Lego set. Great to build with child and watch him play. Steps are clear, packaged well. If your kid likes Cars, then this is a great set.
on December 27, 2012
My son is 8 and this is exactly what he wanted for Christmas. Although the Legos were in 4 separate bags, it only took us about 45 minutes to assemble. Lego instructions are very easy for us to read so it was an easy assemble.

Since Christmas, this has traveled everywhere with him. Only the side door keeps falling off, but he opens it a lot so that really is the only reason why. We have not lost any pieces yet. Overall, very satisfied.
on December 14, 2011
It's well made. We love this toy!!! It's a perfect gift. We give this toy to my son's birthday and he loves it, he plays with it all day long!!! It's no easy to ensemble for a 7 years old kid but with the parents help and instructions every thing will set up fast. We love lego toys. It's so fun.
on December 10, 2012
I got this for my son's 4th birthday. I bought it on clearance, which made it all the sweeter. It was the first big set that I have ever put together. It took me about an hour and a half. I am pretty sure that if I was in the target age range of 7-12, I'd have had it done in half the time.

Like other large sets, the pieces come in numbered bags so you can build a part at a time. My son was enthralled as he watched Lightning McQueen emerge from what moments before had been a pile of random bricks. To tell the truth, so was I!

The instructions are fairly clear, though some of the fiddly little pieces are a bit hard to recognize in the drawings. I made it through the whole thing without any major mistakes, which speaks volumes for the quality of the instructions. And I actually found myself enjoying the process once I figured out that I needed to separate the pieces by type as I opened each bag.

There was only one part that I didn't enjoy. I'll just go on the record saying I hate stickers, and this set had a lot of them. With most, there was some room for error, but the larger stickers fit their respective bricks "just so." I might have had an easier time if I hadn't had 3 cups of coffee beforehand.

This set is very sturdy. My son is currently curled up in bed holding it, and nothing has fallen off. The detail is amazing. The whole trailer opens up to show the inside. The parts are well-made, too. The tires are thick, thick rubber that will last forever. I think it's something we'll enjoy for awhile.

I don't know if kids in the target age range would enjoy playing with the completed project since it is based on a Pixar film. My 10 year old would have enjoyed the challenge of putting it together, but he would have broken it apart not long after and cabbaged the pieces to build something else. If you're just looking for a Cars 2 toy, Mattel cars may be a better value.
on December 26, 2011
Lego never seems to fail our family. Great set and kept my nephew happy for hours. Easy for an 8 year old experienced Lego builder o put together.
on January 12, 2013
This was my 5 year old sons Christmas gift. He was SOOO excited. He'd been wanting this set. We love Legos. Always a great product. Took some assistance to assemble, but that was expected being that he's only 5. I have no complaints.