Customer Reviews: Merrick Before Grain #2 Salmon Paté Style Cat Food, 3.2 Ounce Can (24 Count Case)
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on September 6, 2013
This has been a great food choice for my diabetic cat. It has no fillers or byproducts or grains. I don't believe cats should be eating corn or rice, especially diabetic cats. It also dissolves well in water. My cats prefer to lick their wet food up instead of biting into it so I mix it with warm water. Any of you out there who have cats who only lick the gravy and don't eat the food (like in some of the 9lives or Fancy Feast cans) may want to try this option. Mixing water in is also a good way to get more water into their systems which they need especially if they are eating dry food too. My other cats like this food as well. She has had the salmon for the last two years and we recently tried the chicken and tuna which she likes too. Her insulin need has lowered significantly since being on this food and hasn't needed to be adjusted since. Read the label of Merrick Before Grain and then read the labels of 9-Lives, Fancy Feast, Iams, etc. and you will see a huge difference. I pay more for this food but it is worth it as comparing the labels with the garbage supermarket cat food to this one makes the choice a no-brainer for me. I also give my cats the Merrick Before Grain dry food (chicken flavor) too. Happy kitties :-).
on November 12, 2012
My name is Petey. I'm a mature kitty gourmet who thinks this grain free salmon entre is delicious! My human won't give me all I request. Can you do something with her? Any help will be subtley appreciated.
on August 10, 2013
I recently adopted a very neglected 6 week old kitten and she seems to love this food. However, anything could be better food then she was getting, which was a little dry adult cat food. So I am giving this four stars only; because I not sure about cats or kittens who have had normal lives. For all those people looking for grain free products for their pets this reads as a pretty good kibble. I generally take a good read on any kibble I give my animals. This product reads as a pretty good bang for the buck. If your looking for more information will give you some tips on why this product is better than the typicale kibble. A cat should never never be feed corn as a byproduct in their food so give the company a thumbs up.
on September 19, 2013
Six months ago, our vet wanted us to start feeding our cat a "higher quality" food, which I'm pretty sure just boils down to grain-free. Most grain-free cat foods have pretty likable ingredient lists, and Merrick's Before Grain Salmon #2 is no exception. My cat is picky, and she refused to eat all of the other grain-free brands and flavors we offered her. This one, and the tuna version, were the only things she'd eat. She loves the taste, and it's good for her, so I love it too!
It's looking likely that Merrick may be beginning to phase out this line of products in favor of their new Purrfect Bistro line. My local pet store stopped carrying the "Salmon #2" version and told me that the Merrick Purrfect Bistro "Salmon Pate" is the new replacement. He said they were the same, but if you look at the label, the new cans are smaller AND higher calorie, so feeding amounts would need to be adjusted a bit, esp if you're watching your cat's weight. Also the ingredients are different, as is the smell, texture, and taste of the new version (yes, I tasted a tiny bit of each). The new version is intensely savory/meaty, whereas the old #2 version is more watery/fresh fish tasting. The good news is that my cat ate up the new version with no trouble at all, so at least that's not a concern for us, but I don't like the fact that the new cans are smaller, more caloric, and more expensive (at least at my local store) than the older version, so I'm sticking with old standby #2 for as long as I possibly can. After that, I may go to the new Merrick, or I may hunt around for another brand that suits our needs better. Hope this helps others who are noticing this same transition!
on October 25, 2013
Do you know how difficult it is to find cat food that does NOT have wheat gluten, corn gluten and all kinds of chicken by-products?
I was lucky to find this on Amazon because this company changed there formula and PetCo no longer carries this formula. The new formula has all the crap that I just mentioned above. Many cats cannot eat chicken and even tho there are many catfoods that will say it's salmon or tuna or . . . it has almost always has CHICKEN.
on November 21, 2013
My kitties love their canned food at night. One of them needs to have an allergy powder and the consistency of Merrick's Salmon mixes well and hides the powder.

Since tuna isn't very healthy and my cats can't eat chicken, it's great to know they're getting a high quality food.
on October 28, 2013
I have 2 cats and have been through half of a case of this stuff and they will not touch it. Both cats will go up to the bowl, sniff it and walk away. They each eat a can of wet food every night and have no issue eating other brands.
on April 25, 2013
Cats are finicky, so when I first purchased this I had to mix it with the chicken flavored version. No more mixing now. He loves it! He meows and circles my legs when I pop the lid on this can of food.
on September 3, 2013
This has been my cat's favorite wet food since I adopted her. She wakes me up at 4:30-5am for her daily serving of half a can. Merrick has taken this out of most pet food stores, and I was able to get a local pet store to custom order it, but then they started having issues with getting it. Completely out of food, I had a case overnighted. I don't know what is wrong with this doesn't smell different, but the food I had always gotten before held it's shape when I scooped some out...this food you could literally pour out of the can. My cat won't touch it, and like I said, she previously has been obsessed with this food. if you can get this from a pet store I say do it, but if you can't...I wouldn't order it from Amazon, at least.
on March 19, 2015
The smell isn't the greatest, but out cats loved it. It can be watery/runny at times, but one of our cats is a super picky eater and dislikes new cat food. However, with this food, he meows for it and if I take too long, he'll jump on the counter trying to stick his face into the can as I open it..