Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 21, 2012
We have two old orange male cats. They both developed urinary tract issues over the past year. The Hills Prescription diet they were placed on cost a fortune and of course, neither one of them would eat it.
Researching brand after brand, we found that Merrick has a low ash content, is not crammed with fillers and both cats love it. Taking them off a life-time of dry food (little did we know how bad it was for their health) was not easy at first, but with Merrick, they both love the turkey and the chicken. The obese one has lost weight and looks great. He went from 24lbs and is now down to 18.4lbs. The skinny one has maintained his weight. Both no longer are experiencing repeat urinary track infections.
20 helpful votes
21 helpful votes
on June 17, 2013
This isn't a complaint about the product, it's about AMAZON and their packaging and QC practices. (Before Grain is great for my FLUTD cat! )

I have reported broken cases of cat food at least 6 times in the past 2 years, and each time I've reported a broken case, the customer service team always does the right thing by refunding/replacing the item. I'm very understanding of these little mishaps. However, now I have to speak out. In my last shipment, I opened up a perfectly looking box with decent amount of air bubbles inside, only to find that I received a case of cat food with an internal label: "PLZ DMG OUT. THANKS." As I pulled the case out of the box, maggots growing inside the busted cans flowed out and onto my kitchen floor! That's what got delivered to me!

All this can be avoided if they trained their employees to limit 2-3 to a box, and to inspect the product. I've suggested this each time I spoke to Amazon, but each time the person only addresses the immediate issue of the order and not my complaint about their practices. I wish there were proper customer service channels to address their practices other than having to write on a review, because Merrick and Before Grain are great.

Amazon must process thousands of cat food cases weekly, and so I can't understand how this is allowed to happen. I can't be the only one, and errors like this have to be hurting their bottom line. You're lucky my local area does not carry this brand, Amazon. Otherwise I wouldn't be putting up with this BS.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on August 3, 2013
I've been using this as the main canned food for my little Siamese since I adopted her last October. It was the one food she would reliably eat, and that seemed to agree with her. Now Merrick has discontinued the Before Grain line, in favor of the new Purrfect Bistro line, foods with cutesy names ("Grammy's Pot Pie") that are more expensive. She tried that one and promptly threw it back up all over my kitchen floor. I got a couple of cans of the PB Chicken Pate, hoping it would be similar to the BG #1. It is somewhat similar, but softer, more reddish (they've added cranberry to the ingredients list) and has a bit of an oily looking liquid in the bottom of the can. I noticed that in the Grammy's Pot Pie as well. My girl will eat the PB Chicken Pate, but without notable enthusiasm.

Browsing in Petco last night, I came across the Soulistic brand, which is a Petco house brand. It's less expensive than Merrick, grain free, and I liked the look of the ingredients list. So I bought three small cans of various chicken formulas to try. I gave her the chicken and pumpkin one this morning, and she loves it! And it has stayed down, always a question. I checked for online reviews, and they are very favorable. You can get Soulistic here on Amazon, but it's a lot more expensive than from the store. I.e., with shipping, $1.67 for a small can, vs. $.99 in the store. As best I'm remembering, the larger can is $1.49, vs. $1.69 for the new Merrick product. It appears we have a good new favorite food; I think Merrick unwittingly did me a favor by discontinuing their product.
2 helpful votes
on April 2, 2013
So far the kitties like this food! They've had a few cans now and usually if they don't like a food they won't eat it right away. But they have eaten every last bit of it so far. I like the ingredients in this product and I am hoping that it will continue to be a good product. One of my kitties has troubles with struvite crystals and he just cannot eat dry food anymore, we thought we could sneak some in as long as the quality was good (feeding him Before Grain dry food) but he needs to have canned food. So the vet told us he needed to be on Royal Canine SO food and after looking at those ingredients, I wasn't too thrilled about that. I'm hoping this food will do the trick, so far he is doing much better and not peeing outside of the litter box anymore. We are watching him close and feeding both of the cats this food now. We also switched to giving them distilled water, too, as we have well water and I think that might have been hard on him with too many minerals. The kitties used to eat the paw lickin chicken canned food, but something changed with the formula and they just weren't eating it as much and would leave half of the can in the bowl. So were hopeful on this food for now!

Revision: My picky cat decided he hated this food so we switched once again to Natural Balance Chicken and Liver- we'll see how that one goes! They have had a few cans of it and like it so far, but this process seems never ending to find a food they will both eat. Oh well, so is life with cats!
on June 25, 2013
I want to switch to a totally canned, carbohydrate-free diet for my two cats, but it's hard to find a good quality canned food that's affordable. I spent a lot of time on Amazon researching my options and finally settled on ordering a case of Merrick's Chicken Pate Style. The good news is that there are no bad ingredients in this food....its all chicken, chicken broth, and vitamins/minerals. My cats enjoy the taste, and overall I'm happy I bought this brand. The only thing I don't like is that the food is extremely mushy, almost runny. There's just no bite or chew to it at all. My cats have to lap it up like water. When I order again, I'm going to try a case of the same brand, but a different style. So four stars for the quality of the ingredients, and I'm hoping for something a little more substantial and meaty next time. I will be back to update next month! Oh, and I'll be posting a picture of the opened can of food in a couple days so you can see what the food actually looks like!
on July 15, 2013
All 3 of my cats love most of the varieties of Merrick Before Grain (chicken, turkey, salmon, quail). One of my cats throws up any food that contains grain & most other grain free wet foods are extremely pricey. Unfortunately Merrick is replacing BG with a more expensive range. I have stocked up enough for a few months & shall be experimenting to find a less expensive alternative that my cats will eat & keep down.
on December 1, 2012
Thank you, Merrick! And thanks to my Mom for turning me onto this stuff. My 13 year old cat had been eating kibble her whole life and then suddenly it just stopped agreeing with her. And by not agreeing with her, I mean, holy hell what just died in the litter box and is that blood?!?! Totally freaked and ready to cart her off to the vet, I called my Mom and she said the same thing had happened with her cats and Merrick fixed the whole herd. I was skeptical, but figured the vet would probably charge me a ton to tell me to try a different food. So I ordered up a month's worth, switched both of my cats over to this with a few kibbles and mixed in and within a week, things in the box where back to normal. It's amazing! The more research I did on cat food, the more it makes sense that grain free is the way to go. I'm just super stoked that Merrick has developed a yummy and reasonably priced product to help my little furrballs stay healthy and happy. :)
on March 29, 2013
I switched to this from another popular no grain cat food beginning with B, when there were thousands of reports of pets, dogs and cats getting sick from this other manufacturer's food. My cat had some similar symptoms so I didn't want to take a chance. Since switching, she is so much happier, healthier, even her fur looks better. She plays more and doesn't get "depressed" and withdrawn. I know she has IBD, and the other brand used to help her, but something changed in the consistency and the way it smelled and after that she had issues. NOT with Merrick! Love this stuff and so does she! Thank you for offering this on Amazon.
on February 15, 2013
So most every other cat food out there is filled with stuff that cats would never eat out in the wild. Like what cat would want to eat tomatoes? Seriously? I have a 19 year old cat who is very picky and has some health issues. After a lot of research, I found that this brand of wet cat food is the only one with quality ingredients that cats NEED. It doesn't have all the other weird ingredients in it that other foods do like, peas, or potatoes... My cat hated those foods but loves this one. And she's doing well on it.
2 helpful votes
on July 30, 2013
It was great. All 5 cats loved it and I didn't have to worry about it with my diabetic cat. I ordered it until Amazon ran out then ordered the turkey. All cats hated the turkey and even the dog won't eat it. Now I am stuck with a case of turkey and Merrick changed the chicken kind. Wouldn't you know it? Find something that works and they stop making it.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question